Model-makers

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Arjun
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Model-makers

Post by Arjun » Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:32 am

A lot of you who want KR toys/models may have bought them in the stores. But are there any model-makers out here, who have made their own, from scratch? I don't mean models made with prefabricated parts, but from scratch. I have tried my hand at making Corvettes from maple using old saws, chisels and a new Stanley knife with a basic blade, and I am having difficulties cutting the wood- either it's just too hard or the knife's too small. My uncle told me that this Stanley knife is nowhere as useful as plain old cutting/carving tools found on the streets. I would like to know what kind of material is best suited, and what equipment I can use. Rather than buy these models, I'd prefer to make them.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:19 pm

If you plan to make a model from scratch, my hat's off to you! And do please share the photo of the results when you finish. :) That takes a LOT of patience, time and talent. When I was a kid, I used an old paring knife to try and widdle something from a thick branch from a weeping willow tree. Though I had no idea what to make, so it ended up as a stipped stick. :lol:

I do modeling, but the plastic kits. I have 3 AMT/Ertl KITTs and an original issue KIFT. I prefer these as they are easiest to work with. :)

But I enjoy seeing what others do, and to make something from scratch is truely special. Keep us informed on your technique, supplies, etc. I think this thread can become quite educational.

andy-kitt
FLAG Assistant

Post by andy-kitt » Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:21 pm

I just convert existing models like i've done on my avatar. The converible conversion i'm doing now is taking ages, so hats off to you for starting from scratch.

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:53 pm

I haven't done any scratchbuilt KR models (though I wish I had the skill to), but I have kitbashed (no pun intended) a bit and I have just built plain right out of the box. Though I do wish to scratchbuild some models someday.

There's been a couple of guys on the board who have constructed Derby KITTs, basically made from wood (and they are very impressive too).

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:05 pm

I do quite a bit of modelling but not scratch-building. I think balsa wood is an ideal medium to scratchbuild small and delicate parts. These are the type of wood used to make real flying model planes.

knightdriver
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightdriver » Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:08 pm

I did a half and half version. Half existing model, half kit bashed.
and BIG! 2 feet long. studio scaled. Fopr anyone who wished to
see this car in person, it will be at the Carlisle event in 2 weeks
at the Foundations gathering. Here is a link to it being built.

NEW verison: http://www.knightdriver.com/current8thkitt.html

OLD version: http://www.knightdriver.com/knightridermodels.html

Both version had lit scanners. New version has fully carpeted and
uphoulstered interior with lit dash.

I did start scratchbuilding a 1:25th scale semi trailer but it isn't finished.[/img]

andy-kitt
FLAG Assistant

Post by andy-kitt » Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:53 pm

Wow, that is amazing, you cast your own bodies etc? Are you UK based?

knightdriver
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightdriver » Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:21 pm

andy-kitt wrote:Wow, that is amazing, you cast your own bodies etc? Are you UK based?
Nope, in the USA,

The bodies are an old Monogram kit of a camaro. I used the same model
Universal did when filming the series. I took the extra steps to light
the kit and ad a full interior. The nose and hood are fiberglass as well
as the seats and dash. The t-tops are carved into the model as it was
a hardtop kit. Rims and caps are custom made as well.

I plan to do an even better one of the convertable. I have started it
but am currently working on a few models for a feature film in the
works. Once that job is completed and I get the extra time, I may
continue on with a new kitt.

Knight224
Operative

Post by Knight224 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 6:28 pm

I carved KITT out of foam. It is great and actually looks authentic, which is amazing since I made it from memory. The only problem I found when I compared it to a picture of KITT was the scanner; I made it like a V instead of a straight line. It was going to be a hideout for my snake, but I am too lazy to hollow it out. I’m going to paint it, light it up and go from there : ) Maybe pictures later, but it’s hot outside [no air conditioning- arg!] and I’m feeling lazy.

Don't know if that was what you were looking for, but I thought I would put in my two cents anyway.

Arjun
Operative

Post by Arjun » Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:42 am

Thanks a lot for all your hints. I can take photos, but I'd like to know how to host them- you'd know how difficult it is using a Stanley knife and maple wood when you look at them.

Someone mentioned foam- that's really, really easy, but the finish won't be very good (how can you get glossy finish on painting foam?), and the model will be a little too weak.

You get good shape with steel/fibreglass, but expenses are a problem, as well as finding equipment.

Balsa is better used for making flying airplanes, and would not be used to its full capacity in making display models, and it's also very brittle. Maybe pinewood is easier to work with.

Knight224
Operative

Post by Knight224 » Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:52 am

The foam I am using is made specifically for art and was incredibly expensive (but luckily I take art lessons and am teacher’s pet, so I got it free from her *evil laughter*). It is strong and holds up well. It’s also really heavy. That is why I was too lazy to hollow it out.

As far as making it glossy, just use two coats of paints, one flat and one gloss. It looks shiny to me. My friend did the General Lee, without the flat coat, just used the gloss paint and it looks fine.
Last edited by Knight224 on Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SPEEDBREAKER
Recruit

Post by SPEEDBREAKER » Thu Jun 09, 2005 12:08 am

Hi, I made mine out of pine and cherry wood.You flip the roof over to make it a hard top. Image
You can see it race at http://www.wirlracing.com/

Arjun
Operative

Post by Arjun » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:44 am

Great stuff! I have struggled a lot on my Corvettes, for a long time- maybe a switch to pine will help. What equipment did you use? And how long did it take?

andy-kitt
FLAG Assistant

Post by andy-kitt » Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:10 pm

Is that like the matchbox cars where the interior flips over. Great detailing

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:42 pm

Nice job!!

SPEEDBREAKER
Recruit

Post by SPEEDBREAKER » Thu Jun 09, 2005 11:35 pm

Arjun wrote:Great stuff! I have struggled a lot on my Corvettes, for a long time- maybe a switch to pine will help. What equipment did you use? And how long did it take?
I have a 12 inch band saw,a belt sander, and a dremal moto tool.It took me about three weeks to build.the roof had to be re done because of some paint problems. That added another 2 days to the build.
Is that like the matchbox cars where the interior flips over
I took the idea from a micromachine 57 chevy that is a convertible and hardtop.You flip it around and it is a classic or a blown hot rod.

Arjun
Operative

Post by Arjun » Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:17 am

I have a 12 inch band saw,a belt sander, and a dremal moto tool.It took me about three weeks to build.the roof had to be re done because of some paint problems. That added another 2 days to the build.
Three weeks is very fast! Did you build the whole model out of one single piece, or several pieces assembled?

SPEEDBREAKER
Recruit

Post by SPEEDBREAKER » Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:18 pm

It was made with about 20 parts give or take.It is stuck together with Elmers school glue,some super glue,
body filler,primer ,and paint.

Arjun
Operative

Post by Arjun » Tue Jun 14, 2005 12:48 pm

How did you prepare the parts? I have tried making rough blueprints, but that seems a very tedious task.

SPEEDBREAKER
Recruit

Post by SPEEDBREAKER » Tue Jun 14, 2005 11:52 pm

I just draw on the wood and cut it out.I guess In have an eye for it or something.If you draw out a blueprint you can transfer it to the wood with carbon paper.There maybe someone with the K.I.T.T. kit pic s to go by.You can resize it to fit your wheels.

Arjun
Operative

Post by Arjun » Thu Jun 16, 2005 4:37 am

The scale I intend to use is 1:43- a little too small, but economical and relatively easy. My plan would be to take the block shaped to the required dimensions and trace the six views on all six faces. I can shape one view of the block, but the traces for the other views (other four sides) will be removed with the wood. What can I do to keep the dimensional markings? I thought of drawng crossing lines.

SPEEDBREAKER
Recruit

Post by SPEEDBREAKER » Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:43 pm

Will it have moving wheels or solid? If you are going to make them move you should find wood as thick as the tires are wide.You need two pieces.One for each side.Hold the wood together with some tape. Draw out your shape and cut out the wheel wells than the car shape.Than trace the side piece on thicker wood and cut out leaving the wheel wells alone.
As for the lines just cutting out the profile of a car will make all the details come out.You do not need draw on all six sides.

Arjun
Operative

Post by Arjun » Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:52 am

Maple is really, really hard to work on. I would like to use some thin (less than a few millimetres) pieces to make the sides. Is thin plywood a good choice? It is very flexible, but can it be carved as well as softwood?

Knight224
Operative

Post by Knight224 » Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:39 am

Plywood isn't a solid peice of wood, it's layers. Personally, I wouldn't go there if you are planning on "carving" out your car.

SPEEDBREAKER
Recruit

Post by SPEEDBREAKER » Mon Jul 11, 2005 11:32 pm

Plywood has a cross grain meaning one layer go's left to right and the next go's up and down. If you sand threw you will see it .If you paint it it may not show up until years later when the wood expands and contracks making bad cracks that can not be fixed with filler.I should know I made a mach 5 out of plywood. I wish I had not. :x