Thoughts about Devon's death

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

knightshade
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Thoughts about Devon's death

Post by knightshade » Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:37 pm

I have always thought that one think that was very unique and pretty well done about KR2K was the scene of Devon's death. The flashbacks and memories made it very emotional for me. But it has me thinking, I just wonder if he would have had any regrets. I mean, he was very successful in his career and did a lot of good in the world, but would he have regretted not getting married or having a family? Would have had any regrets about the war? We don't know a whole lot about Devon's character, but there are tidbits of info in the various episodes. I think it's kind of interesting to speculate.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:36 pm

I think he would have gone to his grave knowing that One man didn't make a difference...I believe he'd think that he failed in keeping Wilton's wishes alive and complete...Michael burnt out in SOR, which the foundation never really thought about at the beginning of the 'crusade'...that a person would eventually burn out from such a thing.

Later on in KR2000, Michael even stated that "one man CAN'T make a difference" and this seemed to seal the disbelief that the fight to change all the rights from wrong could be achieved.

I just think devon would feel a bit guilty about the whole thing, as far as Wilton is concerned.

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:18 am

I waqs gonna post that question. I thought it was emotional. As I was watching it I started to cry. Laugh it up everyone! BASTARDS! It was emotional because when you see all the episodes and the flashbaqcks it would trigger the sadness. The flashback of Michael and Devons Toast to the future and the shot of KITT.
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

knightshade
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightshade » Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:51 pm

Skav wrote:I think he would have gone to his grave knowing that One man didn't make a difference...I believe he'd think that he failed in keeping Wilton's wishes alive and complete...Michael burnt out in SOR, which the foundation never really thought about at the beginning of the 'crusade'...that a person would eventually burn out from such a thing.

Later on in KR2000, Michael even stated that "one man CAN'T make a difference" and this seemed to seal the disbelief that the fight to change all the rights from wrong could be achieved.

I just think devon would feel a bit guilty about the whole thing, as far as Wilton is concerned.

Skav
Wow, I never really thought of it that way, Skav. You make a lot of good points, but I think that Devon was more optimistic than that. I mean, he was still trying. He hadn't given up and spending almost 20 years trying to realize Wilton's dream is pretty dedicated, and probably not something to feel guilty about. He may have felt a sense of failure for not accomplishing all that they hoped, but they did have 4 years and helped a lot of people. I tend to think he would have tried to look at the bright side, but you're probably right that he probably felt in same way that he had failed.

oppenca2
Operative

Post by oppenca2 » Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:20 pm

Devons death was very sad. I agree with the comment about him never marrying and having a family would he have regretted it? I also feel that way about Michaels character. I think after all the women he had connections with he would've at least had a family...instead of becoming "burnt out" ... but in KR2000 they cut to him alone... just like Devon, well with the exception of Devons partner

K.I.A.N
Rookie

Post by K.I.A.N » Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:27 pm

I think it the stupides thing they came up with. sorry but it was just a bad idea. killing devon was a bad idea :( :( (runs away crying)
Fan Of The New Knight Rider!

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:48 am

I hated that they off'd Devon in the movie, awful awful awful! But, the sequence in which he is dying is very nicely put together, and does strike an emotional chord. It's just really sad that he died alone like that, he deserved better.

I don't think Devon would have had any regrets. Sure the Foundation was a mess, but it had 20 years of a successful run, and look at all the lives they changed for so much the better. Even if Devon had a shady past, which he might have cause we don't know about it, he must have redeemed himself a thousand times over in the course of his work with the Foundation. I also think he would take comfort in the fact that Michael was around again. He would know that he wont let the Foundation fail, just the same way Wilton must have felt with leaving Devon behind.

Of course, who knows what Devon was thinking when he died... he was in a drug induced coma, instead of having the chance to say goodbye properly.

Knight452
Operative

Post by Knight452 » Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:06 am

I was Shocked when Devon died,but least his death was not in vain.Shawn was about to shoot Watts but Micheal prevented that(killing Tommy in the process).He said "Relax Pal,Your Off Duty Now".PayBack is a :mrgreen:

Goldwings
Rookie

Post by Goldwings » Fri Aug 20, 2004 3:14 am

TurbomanKnight wrote:I waqs gonna post that question. I thought it was emotional. As I was watching it I started to cry. Laugh it up everyone! BASTARDS! It was emotional because when you see all the episodes and the flashbaqcks it would trigger the sadness. The flashback of Michael and Devons Toast to the future and the shot of KITT.
I cried too, I don't think anyone is going to bash you here. For a death schene, they did do a good job at reaching you at a emotional level. Like alot of people in this thread, I didnt feel that Devon deserve to go like that. I just felt like he deserved a more dignified death than that. :(

MrPayner
Operative

Post by MrPayner » Wed Aug 25, 2004 4:40 am

Seeing that flashbacks to the pilot episode [toasting and kitt] did stir up emotions for me too..

In hindsight though, Devon died doing the thing that he loved the most. Whether it was a good thing for the movie or not i'm not sure about, but the directors did a good job of it anyway. Obviously I didn't want him to die, but then it made it personal for Michael Knight to avenge his death.

AP

hot_knight
Rookie

Post by hot_knight » Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:24 am

I definitely agree that when Devon died (which I had forgotten happened in kr2k) I was ballin'. More because of the fact that they laid out the montage as his body was beginning to tremor. And they did an outstanding job making you feel like you were really loosing someone you had watched for so long.

When he injected the poison into the IV did anyone else expect/pray that micahel and KITT would bust trough the wall to save him. And also what ever became of that POS doctor that looked the other way while he killed devon?

hot_knight
Rookie

Post by hot_knight » Wed Aug 25, 2004 9:29 am

Oh and the theme for KR2k is very underated especially in devons death scene