Thoughts regarding K.I.T.T. evolving through new series

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Thoughts regarding K.I.T.T. evolving through new series

Post by Victor Kros » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:37 am

Aside from a physical change, I get the drift that K.I.T.T.'s evolution will be more then just the sum of his parts or the mustang "modes". A lot of people are addressing his physical appearance but I see his evolution being deeper then that.

My guess is GST said K.I.T.T. would evolve with each episode, but I don't think it will be in a positive manner.
PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER_SHOW PRIME_BBCODE_SPOILER:
I think he will eventually learn the wrong things or make logical, emotionless choices that to humans are illogical and morally unjustified then turn on the team that created him. Perhaps choosing to take decisions in his own hands and defy orders like the AI in the movie Stealth.

I think it's possibly because they are intending for K.I.T.T. to be so aggressive and intimidating he will adapt those personality traits which are not heroic traits, they're more anti-hero/vigilante like (ala Killer K.I.T.T. but this time, by choice). How will they turn him back? Ah that's how you keep people watching...to keep them guessing and I think that will be the season finale.

I believe this will be the "Dark Knight" angle GST mentioned at Comic Con, he did not say there would be K.A.R.R. he said there would be a K.A.R.R. like situation. K.I.T.T. turning on the team would fit that like a glove.=]
I may be wrong but I have to admit I'm pretty good at seeing things coming before they happen. I'm one of those people who saw the twist coming in The Sixth Sense, I, Robot, and The Da Vinci Code.

=VK=
:dash:

trissybabes
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Thoughts regarding K.I.T.T. evolving through new series

Post by trissybabes » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:20 am

I reckon you're right Victor. The world we live in now is very different ot that of 25 years ago and I'd say KI3T will inevitably pick up some 'rogue learning' along the way.

This is what excites me most about this new series - there's possibly a depth to it that wasn't in the original - yes KI2T learned and developed as the series progressed but any attempts to subvert him were always corrected at the end of 45 minutes as they drove off into the sunset.
KR08 is showing real signs that it'll follow the route you've suggested but the excitement will then come in seeing how it'll be resolved. I gather GST has a 13 episode, full season and 2 season plan so far, so it'll be interesting to see how it plays out over whichever duration.

The success of series like 24, Lost and Heroes et al have seen a public's taste for season long arcs and although I've said before that I think KR should always be fairly standalone episodically in it's format, it is the longer arcs that make a series more rewarding for the fans.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:36 am

I agree too and it could be interesting..... I wonder how they'll go about "fixing" the problem, how it's handled is going to be important. I think it might be too much of a cop out to resolve it on one episode and where they just manage wipe KI3K's memory and start over from scratch.In a way, I think if done they shouldn't go as far making KI3K turn on everyone, maybe leave it where he still trust Mike, perhaps up until Mike himself tries to "fix" him and it's taken as a sense of betrayal. Hopefully they actually do a lot of work on building KITT/Mike relationship/dynamic before this happens.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Niggle Snoosh
Operative

Post by Niggle Snoosh » Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:16 am

I do think that KI3T's evolution will revolve around the choices he makes and what he learns from others. I imagine what he is expected to learn and achieve in the governement eyes will conflict with what he learns and is expect from Mike, he is after all the rebel, loner type. This would create issues with who he should side with and impact on the descisons he has to make for himself. All KI3T's sources will have there own agendas/opinions leading KI3T follow suit and find his own agenda.

I can imagine KIFT's "we would have sustained no damage from hitting that animal" logic will play an inherent part in this new saga. he will need to be taught to think less clinically. It is also possible that the government/military will at first embrace this colder attitude as a weaponised miltary KI3T could be very useful in their hands. He could develop an arrogence of his superiority that leads him to possibily turn on inferior beings or at least disobey orders. However there needs to be balance of good and bad lessons learnt along the way.

I think as intriguing this direction is that great care should be taken in its implentation because it is the type of thing that has been done many times before In things I robot, skynet and the like. Those AI's all went rogue but thats all well and good because they became the enemy and that was ultimately (plotwise) their purpose. KI3T is supposed to be the hero, when he crosses certain lines he cannot be the hero again and surely if he got too dangerous he would be destroyed not given a second chance.
It would be a huge cop out to simply have KI3T's AI saved from an earlier time, or rebuilt or rebooted to fix this issue.

Plus although this could be the darker KITT GST was eluding to but cheesy and cliche'd as it might be to have a new evil car considering the power that KI3T holds surely he needs a semi equal opponent to face once and a while, and a great villian is always good to have so i believe that still remains a definate possibilty
Michael: "Devon, someone tried to kill me last night!"
Devon: "I have an alibi"

trissybabes
FLAG Recruit

Post by trissybabes » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:32 am

Niggle Snoosh wrote:I do think that KI3T's evolution will revolve around the choices he makes and what he learns from others. I imagine what he is expected to learn and achieve in the governement eyes will conflict with what he learns and is expect from Mike, he is after all the rebel, loner type. This would create issues with who he should side with and impact on the descisons he has to make for himself. All KI3T's sources will have there own agendas/opinions leading KI3T follow suit and find his own agenda.

I can imagine KIFT's "we would have sustained no damage from hitting that animal" logic will play an inherent part in this new saga. he will need to be taught to think less clinically. It is also possible that the government/military will at first embrace this colder attitude as a weaponised miltary KI3T could be very useful in their hands. He could develop an arrogence of his superiority that leads him to possibily turn on inferior beings or at least disobey orders. However there needs to be balance of good and bad lessons learnt along the way.

I think as intriguing this direction is that great care should be taken in its implentation because it is the type of thing that has been done many times before In things I robot, skynet and the like. Those AI's all went rogue but thats all well and good because they became the enemy and that was ultimately (plotwise) their purpose. KI3T is supposed to be the hero, when he crosses certain lines he cannot be the hero again and surely if he got too dangerous he would be destroyed not given a second chance.
It would be a huge cop out to simply have KI3T's AI saved from an earlier time, or rebuilt or rebooted to fix this issue.
Agreed.

If you look up the phrase "Huge Cop Out" in any dictionary, it now says "See Russell T Davies' Doctor Who Reset Button"

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:35 am

I do think this is a possibility as well. I'm not certain that modern audiences will embrace the "twin" type story lines that Knight Rider used to have, they have to be a little more deep rooted then that.
I wonder too if the character of Alex Torres and the hints about his ulterior motives will influence KITT, whether by the AI learning or being reprogrammed so.

So there are two angles of possibility for me, 1 - he gets programmed to disobey by people like Torres, or his AI just evolves to make wrong choices. His AI evolving I guess is more interesting as a character device - but it seems something is missing that the other KITT had.

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:46 am

maybe Ki3t was designed to have different drivers if need be, for example if Mike Traceur hadnt been up to the job or had turned his back on it...

the original KITT was designed specifically for "Michael Arthur Long" as Devon says to him in the KOTP and maybe that is why they made the new AI more adaptable....

Stylez
FLAG Recruit

Post by Stylez » Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:02 pm

This is a great discussion, this has had me excited since earlier this week after the magazine blurb about it. I think you're dead on VK. :good:

Knight316
Operative

Post by Knight316 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:06 pm

I hope if this does develop like this that then will be the time where they bring back Hoff and KITT to try and retrieve KI3T and my guess is they will have KITT sacrifice himself for the team somehow and then somehow at the end of the episode or ark give his AI back to Michael in some form but his body will be destroyed and that'll be their way of sort of passing the torch or having KITT go out with a bang so to speak.

KITTRINA
Recruit

Post by KITTRINA » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:37 am

Knight316 wrote:I hope if this does develop like this that then will be the time where they bring back Hoff and KITT to try and retrieve KI3T and my guess is they will have KITT sacrifice himself for the team somehow and then somehow at the end of the episode or ark give his AI back to Michael in some form but his body will be destroyed and that'll be their way of sort of passing the torch or having KITT go out with a bang so to speak.

I agree, it would be kind of cool to have KI2T sacrifice himself to save them all. including the new KITT. That way he can go out as the true hero!!!!! :D
Maybe it is just wishfull thinking but i would like a really heroic nod to KI2T. :good:

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:01 pm

KITTRINA wrote:I agree, it would be kind of cool to have KI2T sacrifice himself to save them all. including the new KITT. That way he can go out as the true hero!!!!! :D
Maybe it is just wishfull thinking but i would like a really heroic nod to KI2T. :good:
It sounds so much better than having him deactivated.But lets hope KITT never dies! :good:
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

SacValleyDweller
Recruit

Post by SacValleyDweller » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:57 am

Hmm... the intrigue factor for this show goes up in the mind of this newb. :shock: I thought the show would be just the secret agent Traceur with a robotic talking car that would be at his beck and call.
:kittside:
With this talk (sans the spoilers, which I didn't read), this may not be the case! Ki3t may just be a character in and of himself. He may be machine that evolves as the series progresses, not unlike Data or The Doctor from Star Trek.
:kitt2:
Facinating!

With This show, in adition to the others on my list (The Mentalist looks good as does My Own Worst Enemy in addition to my staple, Heroes) this TV season's gonna be a blast! 8)

ETA: I'm no Trekkie, BTW, at least not now. I was when TNG and Voyager were on, but I've largely moved on, with a deep respect for Star Trek remaining.
--SVD
(-
=)

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:22 pm

My feeling is that KITT will evolve by becoming more human in a good way... starting to show more compassion and understanding the concept of feelings and emotions.

But let's suppose KITT does become more aggressive and starts adapting more negative qualities... FANTASTIC! I would love to see a multi-episode story arc like that. Chariot of Gold and Killer KITT were great episodes, but how much better would it be if instead of KITT suddenly becoming evil, we could actually watch the personality transformation take place spanning several weeks, followed by redemption.

Characters need to evolve to be interesting. It makes perfect sense that KITT should evolve. I assume he will develop some positive traits, and perhaps some negative traits. And that is what will make him an interesting, deep character that the audience will care about.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

FX23
Operative

Post by FX23 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:43 am

I think kitt will end up changing into a transformer with val kilmer as batman driving. Imagine the ratings

trissybabes
FLAG Recruit

Post by trissybabes » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:57 am

FX23 wrote:I think kitt will end up changing into a transformer with val kilmer as batman driving. Imagine the ratings
Better than watching David Hasselhoff transforming into a 55 year old version of Michael Knight and creaking around in a 25 year old classic car.

Oh wait - that's what you'd really want to watch isn't it.

:roll:

FX23
Operative

Post by FX23 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:20 pm

yes the return of the real knight rider would be preferable to this kid jason in some mish mash bollocks up of a show

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:49 pm

Again, who's Jason?
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:58 pm

PHOENIXZERO wrote:Again, who's Jason?
Im gunna hazzard a guess that he means Justin....

Stylez
FLAG Recruit

Post by Stylez » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:14 pm

He's just trying to be a 'rebel' by using The Hoff's mistake of calling him Jason. Get over it, David and the T/A are not leads and are held to cameos that I'm sure will be episodes made to appease old fans, hopefully. In a perfect world we would all love 'season 5' but unfortunately we're skipping all the way to about season 26. If you're absolutely disgusted by the new series then you can make the choice to not watch it. If you're so disinterested by KR08 then why make such meager attempts to get involved in the discussion? I'm sure everyone has issues here or there with the new incarnation but by being childish about it is doing NOTHING. You think it should be different? Be proactive, start a petition or something. Every time you post lately FX23 it's like you're trying to launch yourself a pity party and I don't see anyones heart pumping purple piss for you dude.

FX23
Operative

Post by FX23 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:27 pm

together we can make a stand about the direction of the new series

Stylez
FLAG Recruit

Post by Stylez » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:30 pm

FX23 wrote:together we can make a stand about the direction of the new series
I'm sure you have many that would follow your lead, so what do you propose to do?

FX23
Operative

Post by FX23 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:55 pm

are you joining the numbers?

Stylez
FLAG Recruit

Post by Stylez » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:02 pm

FX23 wrote:are you joining the numbers?
If it will change the things I want changed then I probably would, in fact the whole active member base would be I'm sure.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:26 pm

Yeah, I know that's what it was from but it's just stupid to keep repeating it and deserves ridicule.. :twisted:

trissybabes
FLAG Recruit

Post by trissybabes » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:38 pm

PHOENIXZERO wrote:Yeah, I know that's what it was from but it's just stupid to keep repeating it and deserves ridicule.. :twisted:
I'm sure Jason would agree. :wink:
Stylez wrote:Every time you post lately FX23 it's like you're trying to launch yourself a pity party and I don't see anyones heart pumping purple piss for you dude.
:lol: Good God - I haven't read anything that funny for years - note to self - put down drink when reading posts here - monitiors aren't THAT cheap...