What do you guys think on a Modern day KiTT?

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

coolgyger
Volunteer
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

What do you guys think on a Modern day KiTT?

Post by coolgyger » Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:19 pm

I'm taking Automotive Technology at the local Vocational school and no matter what the material the engine is made of, not matter how well lubed the parts are, there is always going to be that major thing, WEARING OF PARTS! If Knight Rider was to push into 2000 and beyond, and KiTT's bod hitting 20+ years don't you think Knight Industries would put KiTT into something up-to-date and effiecent? I mean the miles on that Trans Am, with the amount KiTT drives per day, it would already exceed 1 Million miles! (Yes I know KiTT was put to storage in 1990 in Knight Rider 2000) But think of this also, if they were to pull KiTT from his restful state, that 8 cylinder V-8 is just too out-dated these days. What I'm trying to say is, If they were to do the same thing as Knight Rider 2000 (And not using the same bod) , and considering these factors, what kind of 2nd bod do you think they would put KiTT in?

Personally, with the government pushing on efficency and exhaust emissions, the 2nd body would have to be just as stylish as the first. Now think, When they put KiTT into the Trans Am, and they made all the improvements, KiTT's body was super effiecent, but with transfering to a modern-day car, I would have to go with the Honda S-2000. I mean totally stock, the S-2000, with it's 2.0 Vtec in-line 4 can push out 240 HP at 7800 RPMs and redline at 9000 RPMs. And With KiTT in there monitoring all the injectors, fuel consumption, etc. KiTT in a S-2000 would put him back on top as a super efficent car once again.

But that is my opinion, what is yours?

Edit: I just realized, Didn't KiTT run on a turbine engine? if so, that just spells MAJOR ENGINE WEAR.

ReddawgKnight
FLAG Assistant

Post by ReddawgKnight » Mon Apr 04, 2005 3:36 pm

Hell i would say to put him a new C6 Corvette Jet Black of course.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:34 pm

Knight Industries (according to the story) did not make KITT with a normal V-8 engine. He had a special Turbine Turbocharger with modified afterburners that was supposedly WAY ahead of it's time, and ran on virtually anything you can put into the car including liquid hydrogen. And with an industructable body, he was supposedly supposed to last "forever". But obviously there is no such thing as lasting forever as the story ended up going (if you count Team Knight Rider and Knight Rider 2000).

I'd say yeah, they'd probably update him more than likely. But it'd be nice to reconstruct the same body style, but all new electronics, motor, etc.

I personally own a near-classic Pontiac 6000 which just turned 18 years old in March. The engine and car both have over 146,100 miles on it to date and the engine runs great! I've seen a Pontiac Firebird Trans Am last year that looked identical to KITT (but wasn't a replica). The owner said that car had over 300,000 miles and it was still running great! So if you take good care of the car, you can get a lot of miles and years out of them. :) I admit though, they do take a great deal of care and cost as they age. But I think it's worth it. Mine has been so far and I adore that car! :)

But for a car like KITT and all he has to do, yeah, he'd have to be seriously updated by now, at the very least.

coolgyger
Volunteer

Post by coolgyger » Mon Apr 04, 2005 5:04 pm

Yeah, if you read my edit (down on thw bottom) I did remember at the last minute that KiTT did have a Turbine engine, but as I stated before, nothing is resistant to wear, and having a turbine engine just plain spells out some major engine wear.

Most likely, if they do upgrade KiTT, They'll make a turbine engine for that car as well to replce the older one, because there is no way KiTT could last 20+ years without some kind of major overhaul, Although the amount of times he got beat and banged around I'm sure that wasn't a problem. :kittconv2: