1/18 Die Cast KITT Coming In December

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by HondaSiR » Mon Nov 22, 2004 10:29 pm

Well I guess its official folks. Based on the pics posted above (courtesy of DiggiDiDuck and DanielB...awesome find guys!)...we can safely say that ERTL has corrected their previous errors except the orange fog lamps. They did decide to remove the Trans Am emblems and white tire letterings. All in all, it is still worthy of our hard earned money. Let's all grab one when it arrives in stores in December. :D

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:19 pm

I have a sneaky feeling that the Aoshima KITT and KARR will not be released at the same time as ERTL's..... :( I hope I'm wrong..

I'm saying this coz as of now, there are no pics of the Aoshima KITT or KARR in its packaging etc..

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Mon Nov 22, 2004 11:58 pm

the monitors on the dash look HORRENDOUS!!!!! awful!!!!! looks like it's made from tin foil or something.

and the overall shape of the car looks a bit off to me, but that could be just me.

as for the amber fog light..i'll wait till someone gets the aoshima one now and then they can tell me how it is.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:02 am

Skav wrote:the monitors on the dash look HORRENDOUS!!!!! awful!!!!! looks like it's made from tin foil or something.

and the overall shape of the car looks a bit off to me, but that could be just me.

as for the amber fog light..i'll wait till someone gets the aoshima one now and then they can tell me how it is.
Hmmm... I think it will be like this.... Aoshima will have all the foglights in white/clear but ERTL will have the 2 orange foglights, ie; one on each side. Since ERTL has removed the white lettering, I wld assume that Aoshima will remove those white letterings as well.. All in all, I think both models will be more or less the same...

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Tue Nov 23, 2004 12:48 am

Skav wrote:the monitors on the dash look HORRENDOUS!!!!! awful!!!!! looks like it's made from tin foil or something.
Nothing a person with moderate modelling skills can't handle. :wink: I can easily fix those monitor screens with a fine modeller's brush and some black paint (to touch up the sides of the TV screens). Ditto for the orange fog lights, I'll paint them silver too. 8)

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:43 am

I couldn't help it.... Temptations took over me and I ordered the ERTL 1:18 KITT from this guy who lives in Taiwan (which is near where I am stayin') from EBAY :D (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MEWN:IT)

If all goes well, I shd receive the model by this weekend...
Last edited by imranbecks on Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:36 am

HondaSir, you SHOULDN'T have to use your modelling skills on the car...the car should be perfect and not have monitors that looked like they have been done by a 6 year old.

nobody should have to touch up things they buy in any way, unless like me, you plan to in advance to make something into something else.

sorry, i'm still disgusted by the look of em. if you look carefully, the "screen" even overlaps the tv frame a little...yuck!!
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PBH
FLAG Assistant

Post by PBH » Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:18 am

Still hoping it's a prototype. Damn amber lenses!!!

BTW, I can't remember who it was, but who was that contact someone here had with Ertl who said that the amber would be gone? Has she been contacted lately? What's her take?
Phil
On Facebook & MySpace :-)

"One man can make a difference. Like Orville Redenbacher"

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:19 am

How do I get my hands on a Aoshima kitt?I can't get one from ebay or a store.Any suggestions would be great.

pewter 02ws6
Operative

Post by pewter 02ws6 » Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:17 am

well, i contacted the ebay member that imranbecks bought his through and he said he actually has them in stock.it is not just a pre-order auction. hopefully i will receive mine any day now!!!

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:44 am

Skav wrote:HondaSir, you SHOULDN'T have to use your modelling skills on the car...the car should be perfect and not have monitors that looked like they have been done by a 6 year old.

nobody should have to touch up things they buy in any way, unless like me, you plan to in advance to make something into something else.

sorry, i'm still disgusted by the look of em. if you look carefully, the "screen" even overlaps the tv frame a little...yuck!!
I understand your point Skav. Its a bit of a mystery how ERTL could have botched up the TV screens wherein they did a good job with the smaller details like the push buttons and lights on the dash, they seem to be perfect in every order. I wonder if the Aoshima would have the same botched screens.

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Tue Nov 23, 2004 10:55 am

Don't know if they are "botched" yet - might just be a foil overlay to be removed.

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Tue Nov 23, 2004 1:49 pm

imranbecks wrote:I couldn't help it.... Temptations took over me and I ordered the ERTL 1:18 KITT from this guy who lives in Taiwan (which is near where I am stayin') from EBAY :D (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... RK:MEWN:IT)

If all goes well, I shd receive the model by this weekend...
At the very least, you'll be able to compare the two companies cars and see if there are any difference....can't believe you caved into temptation :lol:

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

MischievousJoe
Recruit

Post by MischievousJoe » Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:14 pm

Instead if being "disgusted" by every little minute detail that the AVERAGE die cast car collector couln't give a darn about, shouldn't we be rejoicing that this car is even being released at all? I think it looks very sharp, and I'm still buying it reguardless of whatever little details that may be missing. I just want the dang car in my hot little hands! Why not wait until one of us actually has it, and THEN write a rational, critique of it? :)

krfan1
FLAG Recruit

Post by krfan1 » Tue Nov 23, 2004 3:33 pm

Quick question...

Is it me, or is part of KITT's scanner yellow. Whenever I look at the pics, the part that isn't lit up on the scanner is yellow to me.

krfan1

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:45 pm

MischievousJoe wrote:Instead if being "disgusted" by every little minute detail that the AVERAGE die cast car collector couln't give a darn about, shouldn't we be rejoicing that this car is even being released at all? I think it looks very sharp, and I'm still buying it reguardless of whatever little details that may be missing. I just want the dang car in my hot little hands! Why not wait until one of us actually has it, and THEN write a rational, critique of it? :)
Here here! Couldn't agree more - amber foglamps don't bother me in the slightest. I've wanted a large model of KITT for YEARS, and afew picky faults (that I wouldn't have known about had I not been so desperate to find info on this model and found this forum!) won't put me off.

You'll find very few 1/18 models that are released without some inaccuracies or faults, no matter which manufacturer is responsible.

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Tue Nov 23, 2004 4:48 pm

krfan1 wrote:Quick question...

Is it me, or is part of KITT's scanner yellow. Whenever I look at the pics, the part that isn't lit up on the scanner is yellow to me.

krfan1
The part that looks yellow is actually the part that's illuminated - just the way it appears on the camera.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Tue Nov 23, 2004 5:50 pm

I want a video clip of the scanner piece.

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Tue Nov 23, 2004 6:00 pm

When I get my model I'll make one.

PBH
FLAG Assistant

Post by PBH » Tue Nov 23, 2004 8:53 pm

I must admit. Time & time again & have moaned & groaned about the amber lenses... I HATE THEM!!! However, the point MischievousJoe makes does make sense. We SHOULD be happy this is being made at all. It does look sharp relatively. For those of us who hate the amber, just go to a hobby shop & look for clear lenses like I plan to. I can't imagine finding a pair to be that hard.
Phil
On Facebook & MySpace :-)

"One man can make a difference. Like Orville Redenbacher"

MischievousJoe
Recruit

Post by MischievousJoe » Tue Nov 23, 2004 9:08 pm

I'm still irked that Joyride doesn't have KITT listed along with their other entertainment vehicles!

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Tue Nov 23, 2004 11:11 pm

pewter 02ws6 wrote:well, i contacted the ebay member that imranbecks bought his through and he said he actually has them in stock.it is not just a pre-order auction. hopefully i will receive mine any day now!!!
I shd have the model anyday now.. Latest by this weekend.. If possible, maybe even tomorrow!!!! Got tired of waiting so I requested for an express shipment :lol: It was shipped out of Taiwan to Singapore by EMS yesterday... Woo hoo!!!!

I will definitely post pictures for y'all once I have it in my hands!!!!

Oh and by the way, I just contacted the seller at EBAY abt the batteries being used for the model. He said that it uses 4 LR44 size batteries and is already included in the model... Shd be the same for the Aoshima model as well..

Update:

Here is what HLJ states now for the Aoshima 1:18 KITT and KARR item page:
This item has not yet been released by the manufacturer but we expect it on or about November 30. We have already taken more orders than we expect to be able to fill. No further orders will be accepted until supplies are confirmed when the product is released.
http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljpage.cgi?AOS07324

http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljpage.cgi?AOS07325

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Wed Nov 24, 2004 5:39 am

I just received an email from my local hobby store... They will have the Aoshima 1:18 KITT and KARR in store on the 26th of November!!!!!!! This coming Friday!!!! As I have predicted, it looks like both ERTL and Aoshima are releasing them around the same time.. HLJ shd be releasing theirs soon as well...

I will be getting KARR!!!!

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Wed Nov 24, 2004 7:20 am

I think the ERTL is released on Monday - hoping the shop gets a delivery at the end of this week and my mate will take one when they arrive.

MischievousJoe
Recruit

Post by MischievousJoe » Wed Nov 24, 2004 10:50 am

MischievousJoe wrote:I'm still irked that Joyride doesn't have KITT listed along with their other entertainment vehicles!
Doesn't what I said above here make a legitimate concern? I guess not. People have ignored it twice. Oh well.