1/18 Die Cast KITT Coming In December

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by sarfraz » Sat Oct 09, 2004 5:09 pm

imranbecks wrote:EMS is higher but it is a lot safer than shipping by SAL... But right now, I don't know which shipping method I shd use for the 1:18 KITT once it becomes available at HLJ... SAL or EMS? I ordered my previous 2 items using SAL and it arrived within a week, but because the 1:18 KITT will be the largest item I have ever ordered from that site, I fear that it might get lost (touch wood!!) during shipment if I were to use SAL... What do u think Sarfraz? SAL or EMS? And how much wld EMS probably cost in regards to the weight of the model as well as the size of the package?
...haven't a clue how much EMS on those 1:18 cars would cost but its all due to weight and nothing to do with the size. I would guess that EMS shipping for one 1:18 KR would be around the 2500-3000 Yen (£12-15 about $25-30) judging by the EMS costs on other 1:18 cars on the site. To be honest I rarely use EMS....about 95% of my orders have been shipped using SAL, and touch wood (touching an entire desk!) they have not gone missing. Of course SAL will take you less time than me as your much closer to Japan than I am...but EMS takes about a week for me and SAL on average 2 weeks. EMS has the added problem of extra customs charges (for UK)....god knows why.

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Sun Oct 10, 2004 3:08 am

sarfraz wrote:
imranbecks wrote:EMS is higher but it is a lot safer than shipping by SAL... But right now, I don't know which shipping method I shd use for the 1:18 KITT once it becomes available at HLJ... SAL or EMS? I ordered my previous 2 items using SAL and it arrived within a week, but because the 1:18 KITT will be the largest item I have ever ordered from that site, I fear that it might get lost (touch wood!!) during shipment if I were to use SAL... What do u think Sarfraz? SAL or EMS? And how much wld EMS probably cost in regards to the weight of the model as well as the size of the package?
...haven't a clue how much EMS on those 1:18 cars would cost but its all due to weight and nothing to do with the size. I would guess that EMS shipping for one 1:18 KR would be around the 2500-3000 Yen (£12-15 about $25-30) judging by the EMS costs on other 1:18 cars on the site. To be honest I rarely use EMS....about 95% of my orders have been shipped using SAL, and touch wood (touching an entire desk!) they have not gone missing. Of course SAL will take you less time than me as your much closer to Japan than I am...but EMS takes about a week for me and SAL on average 2 weeks. EMS has the added problem of extra customs charges (for UK)....god knows why.

Sarfraz
Hmmm... I still have to think abt it then... But u used EMS for the 1:43 KR cars right?

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:01 am

...yes which is why I know of the additional UK custom costs associated with EMS. To be honest, it doesn't really make that much difference to me as the UK postal service can be really poor at times meaning it doesn't matter if its EMS or SAL, it'll get here at the same time!

Sarfraz

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:05 pm

sarfraz wrote:...yes which is why I know of the additional UK custom costs associated with EMS. To be honest, it doesn't really make that much difference to me as the UK postal service can be really poor at times meaning it doesn't matter if its EMS or SAL, it'll get here at the same time!

Sarfraz
Ok... Thanks Sarfraz! Anyone here other than me have preordered the upcoming 1:18 KITT/KARR from HLJ?

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:36 pm

I'm going to play it safe and wait for all the cars to come out before I decide what to buy. The way it looks now is that I'll probably buy Aoshima's K.I.T.T. & K.A.R.R. just for consistency between models. I'll probably go and eventually buy the Ertl model too though.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

kitt-x
Rookie

Re: scanner tail...

Post by kitt-x » Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:15 pm

corlando52 wrote:
Check out the scanner... It looks like it has 6 leds.. I'm wondering how they wld move... I don't think there will be a trailing effect for the scanner. I'm guessing that the scanner would move similar to the one on the Knight Rider mini Z cars...
You can't have a "tail" with LEDs. The trailing effect is only because of the lights getting dimmer as they turn off. LEDs are only on or off...no dimming.
Not necessarily true, I think you could use a capacitor to discharge the LED to give it a "dimming" effect.

corlando52
FLAG Recruit

Interesting...

Post by corlando52 » Mon Oct 11, 2004 2:28 pm

Not necessarily true, I think you could use a capacitor to discharge the LED to give it a "dimming" effect.
OK, I have to admit something. Right after I wrote about the LEDs not being able to dim, I picked up a base for my KITT 3D Laser Cube. The base has 3 LEDs in it, different colors. Each one fades in AND out. I was amazed! So, yes, it can be done, and I was thinking a capacitor might do the trick, just like you. I'm tempted to take apart the base and see how they did it. The trick would be to incorporate it into the scanner circuit.
So, I offer it up to the many electronic geniuses out there (I know you're out there!)
How about an LED scanner circuit that has a trail??!!

:?: Chris

themarvelous3
Operative

Post by themarvelous3 » Mon Oct 11, 2004 6:41 pm

you guys didnt know LEDs could dim? all new Macs incorporate this. the power button has an LED behind it and they fade slowly in and out when put to sleep or pressed to shut down.

Knight Industries 3000
Operative

Post by Knight Industries 3000 » Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:17 pm

I didn't know LEDs could dim either. I just did a Google search, though, and found this. Ya learn something new every day.

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Mon Oct 11, 2004 9:49 pm

The scanner on my KITT mini-z has a dimming down effect when it is turned off... I hope the 1:18 KITT will incorporate this as well..

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Tue Oct 12, 2004 7:35 pm

i wish they would make a model of kitt like this and be able to press the license plate and kitts parts would move to turn into spm.

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Wed Oct 13, 2004 4:56 am

2 pics of both the 1:18 KITT and KARR taken by HLJ.com from the recent October 2004 Tokyo Hobby Show...

http://www.hlj.com/showreports/ths04/sc ... 24-01.html

http://www.hlj.com/showreports/ths04/sc ... 25-01.html

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:12 am

themarvelous3 wrote:you guys didnt know LEDs could dim? all new Macs incorporate this. the power button has an LED behind it and they fade slowly in and out when put to sleep or pressed to shut down.
Yes it does. Kinda of a weird feeling waking up in the middle of the night and see the room fill with light then go dim. Thought those little gray weirdos were back again...
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:51 am

Hi all. First post here.

Ordered my KITT last week, can't wait to get my hands on it! Been looking around for every photo and scrap of information I can find online - ERTL have done a fantastic job. I'm confident the ERTL car will be identical to the one seen at the Tokyo toy fair, seing as it's Ertl that made the moulds and did the research!

I've seen a photo of the box from the Las Vegas toy show - you can see it here.

BTW. In the photos I have been sent from Tokyo, KARR has a red scanner - I'd imagine that will be corrected for the final release though.

kitt-x
Rookie

Post by kitt-x » Wed Oct 13, 2004 1:28 pm

Looks like it still says "Trans Am" on the fender. Ugh.

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Wed Oct 13, 2004 2:05 pm

oh boy...ERTL are going to have a mutiny on their hands with Trans AM on the fender :lol:

DanielB, hlj.com says that KARR's scanner is yellow so I would'nt worry too much about that...btw welcome to the board.

It does seem that those potential minor difference I was talking about may have become reality with that fender badge!....god know what else is different. Both moulds are identical but each company taking responsibilty for how they use that mould and how they decorate it....like the Hasbro/Takara Transformers.

....must add, that ERTL box looks really cheap. Yes I know boxes don't mean much but it looks tacky. They need to talk to Aoshima about presentation!

Sarfraz

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Wed Oct 13, 2004 3:50 pm

What's the 'fender'?

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:14 pm

I assume fender and wing mean the same thing (UK vs US terminology!). Its the side front panel on the car located infront of the driver/passenger door. If you look on the ERTL pic, it looks like it says Trans AM just infront of the door and above the side vents.

Sarfraz

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:49 pm

Looked closely at the shots I've got - can't see it anywhere.

themarvelous3
Operative

Post by themarvelous3 » Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:00 pm

yeah that sucks. maybe they'll get a team together to sit down and scratch that off them all before they ship out : )

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Wed Oct 13, 2004 6:05 pm

Still can't see it?

Not bothered anyway - been waiting for this diecast in my collection for years. It'll be the best model ever, and I'd rather have a slightly flawed model than none at all - beggars can't be choosers.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:12 pm

i see it....IF that's the only mistake, i might contemplate on sticking with ertl only for cheapness :lol:

but that's ONLY contemplating....considering how lovely the aoshima cars look.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gonzaloa
Rookie

Post by Gonzaloa » Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:51 pm

The picture isn't really very clear, but I think the "Trans AM on the fender" just could be a reflex, I hope.

I agree about that ERTL box looks really cheap, for those who are not fans, that box isn't going to help the model to be bought.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:57 pm

I wonder, could paint remover remove the Trans Am lettering on the side fenders of the Ertl model without messing up the black paint?

That is of course unless the words "Trans Am" aren't decals which they very well could be. It would make more sense for mass production if they were decals and be more convenient. After all on real 3rd generation Firebirds aren't the actual Firebird logos decals as well?
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:13 am

Oh my.... From that pic of the ERTL KITT in the package, it looks like there is gonna be a high possiblity that the Aoshima 1:18 KITT will be completely different from the ERTL KITT..... I have high hopes for the Aoshima model now... :D

Look at that pic closely and u can also see the firebird logo on the side frame of the rear window... But cld that ERTL model in the packaging be an unfinished version of the 1:18 KITT????

I don't like the font of the words KNIGHT RIDER on the packaging, is it just me or does it look too thin?? And yes, the packaging does look cheap... I wonder how the Aoshima packaging would look like....

Well..... If the ERTL model still look like this once it is released in November, it wld probably be obvious why the Aoshima version costs higher..... Aoshima's wld be accurate if not for the white letterings on the tyres. Hey who knows, maybe Aoshima will darken those letterings for the final version...

Sarfraz is probably right, this ERTL and Aoshima venture for the 1:18 KR cars is similar to the Hasbro and Takara license for their Transformers line.... (eg Binaltechs/Alternators)

Oh and by the way... Thought I shd share this with u guys... I e-mailed Joyride studios (ERTL/RC2) recently about this ERTL and Aoshima 1:18 KITT debate.... The words in bold are their answer to my questions. This was their reply:
To: "Muhd Imran" <imranbecks@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: 1:18 scale Knight Rider KITT
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 2004 16:28:24 -0500

I am not familiar with Aoshima. It looks like they have purchased product from us and are selling it.

REgards,
----- Original Message -----
To: JoyRide
Sent: Tuesday, October 05, 2004 10:27 PM
Subject: Re: 1:18 scale Knight Rider KITT

Hi,

Aoshima will also be selling the 1:18 scale KITT in November as seen here http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljpage.cgi?AOS07324. Will the model be similar to the RC2 1:18 KITT? And is it true that ERTL and Aoshima are working together for this model?

From,
Imran

JoyRide <Chris@JoyRideStudios.Com> wrote:

Product should start shipping mid November.
Thanks
----- Original Message -----
To: chris@joyridestudios.com
Sent: Sunday, September 19, 2004 6:23 AM
Subject: 1:18 scale Knight Rider KITT

Hi,

When is the RC2 1:18 scale Knight Rider KITT car scheduled for release?

From,
Imran