Interesting Observation On UK Battlestar Galactica DVD

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Sith
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Interesting Observation On UK Battlestar Galactica DVD

Post by Sith » Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:55 pm

Whilst shopping today, I noticed the new Battlestar Galactica DVD Boxset has just come out over here in the UK.

I remember Mike Pajaro posting about the American version DVD several months back. Its possibly the same one, but having read through some other forums, it appears there are several differences between this release and the American one.

Whats interesting though, is that the UK one was in fact released by Universal Playback.

Given their recent releases of Knight Rider being only 3 episodes to a disc, I was surprised to find that this new DVD boxset contains 7 DVDs for £35. There are 6 discs, each containing 4 episodes, plus an additional 45 minutes of extras per disc. The 7th disc is filled purely with extras. There is also a remixed 5.1 Dolby Digital Track. Even though the original sound is mono.

Think about that then. 24 episodes. Each series of Knight Rider was around 20 episodes.

What we have here, is basically a series boxset. This can only now raise expectations for Knight Rider DVD boxsets. If they follow suit like they do with their other products, one might even be tempted to believe they might already be working on them. For example, the Best Of A-Team DVD was released several months before the Knight Rider one.

There were suggestions by people that Universal Playback would never release season boxsets in the UK. I believe news of this Battlestar Galactica set counters that. This shows that they can produce such sets - so their production costs can't be that high. The big obstacle remaining, is of course the clearances on the various music used throughout the Knight Rider series.

Here's hoping.

And as we are on the topic of Knight Rider on DVD again, just a reminder that if you haven't done so, please sign the Knight Rider DVD Petition. I've been monitoring its continuing climb up the search engines, and it has now placed above the official Universal Playback website. (To see for yourself, go to Google and search for 'Knight Rider On DVD') Keep them signatures and hits coming. Lets at least make them aware that there is a market for them, if nothing else. :)

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:29 pm

Well Sith I think thats precisely whats holding up pretty much all the universal boxset releases. Most of their series contain some "borrowed" background music. Assuming UP is working on several TV-programmes then its going to take some time to clear all the musc rights. Its mostly likely that UP are working to get a bunch of TV series released in boxset form at the same time rather than one after the other. Its what UP has done in the past and probabley what they will do in the future.

EDIT: Oh, the petition is upto 404 people. Is it possible to get some mass advertising for it? I'm not sure how much Joe Public knows about this petition.

Sarfraz
Last edited by sarfraz on Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:31 pm

I'm going to lose the petition battle... But can I ask everyone that if you do sign the petition, could you at least please take the time to send off a quick email to Playback or Universal telling them you'd like a re-release of Knight Rider on DVD.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Thu Jan 15, 2004 5:34 pm

I'm not sure about Sith, but UP was the first place I tried. There isn't any response to e-mails so its hard to figure out whats going on. Come on Mike, you know you want to sign it :twisted:

Sarfraz

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:10 pm

Forgot to mention the Galactica DVDs.... our box set in the U.S. has a big 3D Cyclon mask on the front, so the packaging is much different. The content sounds similar.

Sorry, just can't bring myself to signing the petition.

Sith
FLAG Assistant

Post by Sith » Thu Jan 15, 2004 6:48 pm

Yes, I did try UP a few months back, but the mail just kept bouncing back at me. And the mail I tried about a year before that was undeliverable. lol. Oh well.

*puts mike in a burlap bag* :twisted:

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Jan 15, 2004 7:24 pm

Putting me in a burlap bag: good :)
Beating me with bats while I'm in a burlap bag: bad :(

They really did do a nice job with the sound... Having the Galactica theme make the room rumble is good for the soul.

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:09 pm

Michael Pajaro wrote:They really did do a nice job with the sound... Having the Galactica theme make the room rumble is good for the soul.
I can just imagine how much rumble those Colonial Vipers might make through the right sound system, right now... (Anyone remember the old Memorex logo?)

Sith
FLAG Assistant

Post by Sith » Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:21 pm

Going a little off topic, Mike do you recommend buying it? I confess I've only seen a few episodes, but it seemed ok to me. The Cylons voices and sound effects were especially neat.

It just seems like too good value for money to miss. :)

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:51 pm

I considered many of the episodes to be great. Though, some do show their age.

In recent years, I've only been able to buy the pilot on DVD and a couple of the early novels.

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Fri Jan 16, 2004 6:00 am

Michael Pajaro wrote:Forgot to mention the Galactica DVDs.... our box set in the U.S. has a big 3D Cyclon mask on the front, so the packaging is much different. The content sounds similar.

Sorry, just can't bring myself to signing the petition.
Not really Mike. I'm not sure of the US, but the UK has two different versions of packaging. The one Sith has shown you is the cheaper packaged version (same content as the expensive one). The expensive version comes with the cyclon mask on the front which you are familiar with.

Oh, I've also sent a new message to UP, but it has been bounced back with an auto-reply. I don't mind a no response, I just hope it was read.

Sarfraz