Scanner Mod for Hitari KITT 1/15 (on the cheap...sorta)

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Tannim31
Rookie
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Scanner Mod for Hitari KITT 1/15 (on the cheap...sorta)

Post by Tannim31 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:51 pm

Afternoon all, I, like the rest of you was not happy with the scanner (altho the actual RC is gorgeous) of the Hitari 1/15 scale Knight Rider KITT. this is what I did to remedy this on the cheap. I went to radioshack, bought a small two piece PCB board, and 6 rectangular red LEDs. I had an old mini-z KARR scanner assembly and wired it to a 3AAA battery pack and to a switch (which I mounted under the nose) I used a 1-2-2-1 (one LED on the outer most wires and two LEDS wired together for the two inner LED wires) configuration on my scanner light because the KARR assembly only supported 4 LEDS. with the double LEDs in the center it gives a very nice effect. I used the soldering iron to melt the glue holding the old scanner light and cut it off, taping the exposed wired back, I trimmed the PCB board on the new lights and reheated the glue to secure it into place. I velcroed the battery pack to the body shell and cut a small hole under the nose for the switch. I also replaced the driving lights with brighter white LEDs and a separate battery pack and wired it to the audio switch. Here is a video of the results, I apologize for the crappy clarity of it as it was done on my my cell phone, but it's clear enough to get the idea :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_N_ShaL4SU" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:kitt2: