Anyone have experience on building a dash, i need some HELP?

Archive for discussions from 2010. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Johnny Knight
Stranger
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Anyone have experience on building a dash, i need some HELP?

Post by Johnny Knight » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:59 am

I have a 1982 KITT replica. The outer appearance is made to look exactly like KITT. However my inside is stock. I have all black PMD interior and i prefer that but is that against some REPLICA code or something. Would other knight rider replica owners look down on me for keeping the interior Black? I also wanted to inquire about what to expect when wiring the custom dash. Does it plug into my old dash or do i need to wire all gauges separately? Do i need a professional to wire it? And what is a good CASH estimate on buying all the dash components, the dash itself?

2knight
Rookie

Re: Anyone have experience on building a dash, i need some H

Post by 2knight » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:39 am

Personally, I say go with what makes you happy. There may be some purists out there who don't like that you've done something different with your car, but ultimately you're making the car for you, not them.

There are at least a handful of suppliers out there for KITT parts and prices vary widely. Really it depends on how complete you want the dash to be when you get it and how much you want to put into building it yourself. Also whether you want the extras like switch pods and other consoles. Some suppliers include: Jupiter Electronics, Rob Louisell, Mark's Custom Kits, Lectric Enterprises, and I think there's at least a few others.

If you have some basic wiring experience and know how to test for voltages, you should be able to wire the dash yourself. If not, find someone who does. You have to take the stock guages out, and the new gauges can wire into the existing connectors for the old guages. The dash electronics you buy should come with wiring instructions.

taoworm2323
FLAG Assistant

Post by taoworm2323 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:38 am

Johnny Knight, I recommend you get your electronics from either Jupiter Electronics, (Christian Forget) or Lectric Enterprises. :good:
"Don't tell me what I can't do!" ---John Locke

AZKNIGHT
Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by AZKNIGHT » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:27 pm

taoworm2323 wrote:Johnny Knight, I recommend you get your electronics from either Jupiter Electronics, (Christian Forget) or Lectric Enterprises. :good:
I'll second Tao on that. Both of those electronics companies are great. My dash electronics are from Lectric Enterprises and my pods buttons, overhead buttons, etc. are from Jupiter Electronics and I'm very happy with all of it.
Long live Knight Rider! Check out my conversion in progress at [url]http://www.azknightindustries.com[/url].

Johnny Knight
Stranger
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Johnny Knight » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:31 pm

Tao & 2knight. I talked to Mike aka, KNI1GHT, and he gave me a ton of cool info. I was really just wondering about how much it would cost to do it right. Buying the dash, the electronics, installing etc. I just do not want to get in over my head. I was hoping 3 grand would cover it, is that a good estimate?