Sorry to bring bad news

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

DrWho2005
Operative

Re: Sorry to bring bad news

Post by DrWho2005 » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:08 pm

ElectricPhantom wrote:
z00story wrote:I cannot speculate on the future of KR, because I simply do not know. However, I can tell you this, from my experience on TV shows both past and present, and as someone who worked on a show during the writer's strike last year.

Right now, both post production and visual effects are still alive and kicking at the studios, working hard to finish this season of KR.

On every hour long drama, production always finishes first, then they pack things up and lock down the sets. That's always, always, always the way it is. Now, if a show knows, for 100% sure (which is rare) they are returning, then they lock down the set. They leave everything in there and literally lock it up for 3 months.

It's rare that they do this though, even if a show is guaranteed to return. They usually use this as an opportunity to change sets, re-design things, prep for the next season.

So there will always be a process of emptying out stages, cleaning things up, and then a hiatus for the production.

But rest assured, many of us are still up there working hard.
Thank you for clearing that up for us, to coin a phrase, straight from one of the horses' mouth (so to speak). I believe that helps to ease some of the concerns many of us have on the future of the show.

I dont believe it eases anything at all.
As another poster said, bosses want their workers to work at their full capacity right until the end.

GST and co. can only tell us what they have been told, they wont lie.
WHy wouldnt they lie?

If the show where cancelled TPTB at NBC might tell GST to keep his mouth shut about it.
WHy would he do that though? He wants to keep his job and he wants to keep the jobs of the many people working on the show. SO he would leak the information and maybe the fans then would pull a Jericho.
Ben and NBC arent stupid, they know the reaction. They will be bombarded with trinkets, annoying phone calls, emails and bags of letters. Hell, they might get 10, 000 of each. You might say thats a good thing..but it doesnt mean anything unless those people have ratings boxes.
The sensible fans will realise that these campaigns rarely ever work and they will get the sh*ts and just not watch the final few eps.

So if the execs at NBC dont tell the cast and crew and if they keep giving them hope they get to:

-Avoid the campaign bombardment
-Keep what little viewers we still have
-etc

I personally believe that at this stage NBC plans to cancel the show and the crew will not be told until after ep17.

So everyone who thinks that yeah, the show will probably come back if we get a point of two more in the ratings, needs to stop thinking that way.
Dont plan the campaigns in case of cancellation. DO the campaigns NOW. If you know someone with a ratings box then have them log in KR, even if they dont watch it.
Convince the cast and crew to speak out publicly about renewel- and not just to a fan site either.
We need to proceed as if we ARE cancelled.

It would look so much better if NBC renewed the show for a season 2 than resurected it for a 9 episode run to see if the fans would support it. I wouldnt care if NBC tried to save face by saying they always planned to renew..as long as we had it back.

Once it does get renewed then the writers and GST have a responsability to ensure we never get put in this predicament again and actually give us a show that wipes away the sins of the first 8 episodes.

BlackKitt
Rookie

Post by BlackKitt » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:02 pm

Total bs, until I now for sure this story smells like steaming bs. No offense.

ElectricPhantom
Rookie
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by ElectricPhantom » Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:43 pm

DrWho2005 wrote:
ElectricPhantom wrote:
z00story wrote:I cannot speculate on the future of KR, because I simply do not know. However, I can tell you this, from my experience on TV shows both past and present, and as someone who worked on a show during the writer's strike last year.

Right now, both post production and visual effects are still alive and kicking at the studios, working hard to finish this season of KR.

On every hour long drama, production always finishes first, then they pack things up and lock down the sets. That's always, always, always the way it is. Now, if a show knows, for 100% sure (which is rare) they are returning, then they lock down the set. They leave everything in there and literally lock it up for 3 months.

It's rare that they do this though, even if a show is guaranteed to return. They usually use this as an opportunity to change sets, re-design things, prep for the next season.

So there will always be a process of emptying out stages, cleaning things up, and then a hiatus for the production.

But rest assured, many of us are still up there working hard.
Thank you for clearing that up for us, to coin a phrase, straight from one of the horses' mouth (so to speak). I believe that helps to ease some of the concerns many of us have on the future of the show.

I dont believe it eases anything at all.
As another poster said, bosses want their workers to work at their full capacity right until the end.

GST and co. can only tell us what they have been told, they wont lie.
WHy wouldnt they lie?

If the show where cancelled TPTB at NBC might tell GST to keep his mouth shut about it.
WHy would he do that though? He wants to keep his job and he wants to keep the jobs of the many people working on the show. SO he would leak the information and maybe the fans then would pull a Jericho.
Ben and NBC arent stupid, they know the reaction. They will be bombarded with trinkets, annoying phone calls, emails and bags of letters. Hell, they might get 10, 000 of each. You might say thats a good thing..but it doesnt mean anything unless those people have ratings boxes.
The sensible fans will realise that these campaigns rarely ever work and they will get the sh*ts and just not watch the final few eps.

So if the execs at NBC dont tell the cast and crew and if they keep giving them hope they get to:

-Avoid the campaign bombardment
-Keep what little viewers we still have
-etc

I personally believe that at this stage NBC plans to cancel the show and the crew will not be told until after ep17.

So everyone who thinks that yeah, the show will probably come back if we get a point of two more in the ratings, needs to stop thinking that way.
Dont plan the campaigns in case of cancellation. DO the campaigns NOW. If you know someone with a ratings box then have them log in KR, even if they dont watch it.
Convince the cast and crew to speak out publicly about renewel- and not just to a fan site either.
We need to proceed as if we ARE cancelled.

It would look so much better if NBC renewed the show for a season 2 than resurected it for a 9 episode run to see if the fans would support it. I wouldnt care if NBC tried to save face by saying they always planned to renew..as long as we had it back.

Once it does get renewed then the writers and GST have a responsability to ensure we never get put in this predicament again and actually give us a show that wipes away the sins of the first 8 episodes.
Eh, to each his own. I personally didn't know the fact about the dismantling of sets regardless of continuity. To myself, it is an relief in the very least.

whiskey
Volunteer

Post by whiskey » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:08 pm

It will be a shame if it goes. I'm just glad that all the shows are available for download on iTunes in HD which I have most of them. If the show does get cancelled, I'm not holding my breath for the DVD release. They postponed the backdoor pilot movie after all.

Faithful Car KRO
FLAG Recruit

Post by Faithful Car KRO » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:18 pm

whiskey wrote:It will be a shame if it goes. I'm just glad that all the shows are available for download on iTunes in HD which I have most of them. If the show does get cancelled, I'm not holding my breath for the DVD release. They postponed the backdoor pilot movie after all.
Only because the show was picked up for series, which means that the BDP will probably be available on the season 1 DVD release.
"Michael, I agree with your earlier assessment, back-up plans suck."- KI3T
Put the word out!
WATCH THE SHOW!!!: Wed at 8:00pm on NBC.
Its getting better and gaining ratings, AWESOME!!

JTurchetta
Volunteer

Post by JTurchetta » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:19 pm

I think the original poster of this thread is trying to get a reaction for the sake of shaking things up.

The cast and crew of KR have been MORE than open to us fans about the show. And I for one, based on Sue's interviews and vids, feel that IF the series is cancelled we are going to hear it STRAIGHT from the powers that be. Not some 5th hand nameless source.

I think we ALL should enjoy the show, invite as many people as possible to watch and enjoy it with us, and put all the rumors, speculations, "inside tips" and the like out of our conciousness and JUST ENJOY!!!!

The last two episodes have really amped things up, these folks KNOW what they are doing. Thats why we are fans. If we knew how to do it we would. And no amount of Thursday Morning Quarterbacking can fix that.

So again...i say enjoy the show...enjoy the ride and we will turbo boost over the cancellation bridge when its time to ask those questions.

Ok, I'm off my sopabox.
J.

whiskey
Volunteer

Post by whiskey » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:20 pm

Sue wrote:I wouldn't worry about it for a number of reasons. First of all when I was on set most everything was in the process of being packed away for hiatus. It's normal for shows to shut down for a time over the holidays. Number two there are lots and lots of people who work on a show. Many of them come in part time as a member of a union. These people seldom know the full story of the shows they are working on. Many of them asked me these questions. If it was canceled what the deal was. When you work on a large show you might not be so privileged as to talk to GST on a daily basis. And if you are just temporary and will be moving on to build your next set you don't worry about it as much. Some were very appreciative that I spent the time to tell them what GST and others had told me.

Also there were other shows being filmed on that same lot who have access and can take the same pictures as you show. When I walked by some of them they were all saying that KR had been canceled because they saw them packing up set. I knew that they were misinformed because I had only just walked away from an interview with Paul Campbell on how it was not canceled. So its easy to see on a large lot how rumors can spread.

This is why the two GST videos are so important. He is open and honest about what is happening. There is always the chance it could be canceled yes if it doesn't do well. But right now the ratings are going up and things are looking very very hopeful for us.

So chin up.
I have to agree. I was at a local restaurant/bar that I frequent & over the Holidays there was a guy from L.A. visiting relatives & friends in Phoenix. He's telling them that he's on a crew working on a new show called The Eleventh Hour & telling them to all watch it so he can have a steady job. When they asked him what network it was on, he didn't even know the answer!!!

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Sat Jan 10, 2009 8:33 pm

whiskey wrote:
Sue wrote:I wouldn't worry about it for a number of reasons. First of all when I was on set most everything was in the process of being packed away for hiatus. It's normal for shows to shut down for a time over the holidays. Number two there are lots and lots of people who work on a show. Many of them come in part time as a member of a union. These people seldom know the full story of the shows they are working on. Many of them asked me these questions. If it was canceled what the deal was. When you work on a large show you might not be so privileged as to talk to GST on a daily basis. And if you are just temporary and will be moving on to build your next set you don't worry about it as much. Some were very appreciative that I spent the time to tell them what GST and others had told me.

Also there were other shows being filmed on that same lot who have access and can take the same pictures as you show. When I walked by some of them they were all saying that KR had been canceled because they saw them packing up set. I knew that they were misinformed because I had only just walked away from an interview with Paul Campbell on how it was not canceled. So its easy to see on a large lot how rumors can spread.

This is why the two GST videos are so important. He is open and honest about what is happening. There is always the chance it could be canceled yes if it doesn't do well. But right now the ratings are going up and things are looking very very hopeful for us.

So chin up.
I have to agree. I was at a local restaurant/bar that I frequent & over the Holidays there was a guy from L.A. visiting relatives & friends in Phoenix. He's telling them that he's on a crew working on a new show called The Eleventh Hour & telling them to all watch it so he can have a steady job. When they asked him what network it was on, he didn't even know the answer!!!
Well it goes to show much you can really trust what comes out of a film or show crew member! Unless they are those that work closely with the cast/producers etc. Anything else has to be taken with a grain of salt.

BlackKitt
Rookie

Post by BlackKitt » Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:06 pm

He didn't know Eleventh Hour is on CBS. Are you friggin kidding me that's not exactly hard to remember or figure out. It's obvious the guy at the restaurant is full of crap. GST needs to address this crap asap.

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:49 am

Shredder565 wrote:Sadly, TV Executives have been spoiled by reality shows and series like Survivor.

If it doesn't get 10,000,000 eyes watching it right off the bat, and keep up that pace, anything under
that is considered a dismal failure. Hard to believe TV was actually classier back in the 80's and 90's :)..
Syndication was still around and things where given a bit more of a chance..
I agree! :good: The Neilson ratings aren't that accurate anyways!I think we should find a new way to count how many people are watching something on TV.I mean sampling a few thousand people isn't that accurate compared to the amount of people living in the US!

Plus,I'm getting annoyed with most of the reality shows.I have to admit there's a good few that I don't mind watching,but other than that,it's time they start making a few more scripted shows.
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

DevonStyles
FLAG Recruit

Post by DevonStyles » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:36 am

Well at this point who really knows guys. I think the writing is on the wall. I want Knight rider to stay on as much as anybody else but le's face it... The first few episodes killed off alot of potiential viewers. Not us superfans who post here but the casual viewer who remembers the show. Just think if all the orginal viewers (who were kids then) tuned into the new Knight rider now (their target demographic now) the ratings would be great.

When I told people about the new KR movie and possible series a long time ago the first thing people asked me everytime was are they using a trans am? Or are they using the same car? When I said No they are using a mustang 9 times out of 10 they had a negative reaction from the jump. Kitt was established as a Trans am. People do not want to see Kitt as anything else. Same as the general lee. If the dukes movie would have had a ford mustang as the general lee their would have been an outrage. I realise GM no longer makes trans am... That's not really the point of what I'm saying.

I was not trying to stir any pots just relay some information that was told to me. People who work on the set said it was done. It might not be what you wanted to hear but like they said... things can change.

Why would GST tell people it's cancelled.... He woulden't. He wants people to watch. Just like my job, they will deny a layoff until the second they tell ya... It's the nature of the game. This all goes on his resume so to speak so his future opportunities will be judged on this. They say your only as good as the last thing you've done. I think they realise where they screwd up but it's to late to change it now.The car should have never transformed. That was just too over the top.

Let's just keep our fingers crossed and see what happens.
edited by the good folks at knightrideronline

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:00 am

DevonStyles wrote:Well at this point who really knows guys. I think the writing is on the wall. I want Knight rider to stay on as much as anybody else but le's face it... The first few episodes killed off alot of potiential viewers. Not us superfans who post here but the casual viewer who remembers the show. Just think if all the orginal viewers (who were kids then) tuned into the new Knight rider now (their target demographic now) the ratings would be great.

When I told people about the new KR movie and possible series a long time ago the first thing people asked me everytime was are they using a trans am? Or are they using the same car? When I said No they are using a mustang 9 times out of 10 they had a negative reaction from the jump. Kitt was established as a Trans am. People do not want to see Kitt as anything else. Same as the general lee. If the dukes movie would have had a ford mustang as the general lee their would have been an outrage. I realise GM no longer makes trans am... That's not really the point of what I'm saying.

I was not trying to stir any pots just relay some information that was told to me. People who work on the set said it was done. It might not be what you wanted to hear but like they said... things can change.

Why would GST tell people it's cancelled.... He woulden't. He wants people to watch. Just like my job, they will deny a layoff until the second they tell ya... It's the nature of the game. This all goes on his resume so to speak so his future opportunities will be judged on this. They say your only as good as the last thing you've done. I think they realise where they screwd up but it's to late to change it now.The car should have never transformed. That was just too over the top.

Let's just keep our fingers crossed and see what happens.
This has to be the most disingenuine post I've come across so far, you posted earlier that it would be a relief for you if the show is canned and now you post this? Please who are you kidding?

DevonStyles
FLAG Recruit

Post by DevonStyles » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:18 am

When did I ever say it would be a relief if the show is canned? I was very critical of certain parts of kr when it first went to series because it was straight up bad. No free passes here

ronni3
Operative

Post by ronni3 » Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:38 pm

my dear devon...the show wasnt downright bad.....ir was not tht good.....ppl and the media thaught tht just cause it was a remake...it was to be brilliant and anything short of that was just not good enough...ppl had very high expectations. hell, even i had high expectations....i was disappointed but didnt give up...the media treated it as if it was bilge, not worth it and was crap.....ppl even said it wont be picked for a season....the cancellation rumours were similar to the time b4 NBC gave it a season. but now that the KR ppl have experimented and failed, they have learned from the mistakes and are doing better...you tell me werent the last 2 episodes better then the previous 8? hasnt there been improvement? all GST and KR ask for is a second chance....and it is upto us fans to promote it as much as we can and make it a seccess....btw i think it is evident tht episode 10 gained 600k viewers not lost it....so there is a chance. like KITT would say"have belief, Brosef!"
"If I may attempt a colloquialism of my own, Thanks Brosef" K.I.T.T

DevonStyles
FLAG Recruit

Post by DevonStyles » Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:56 pm

I agree... You can check my posts... I have said the last 2 episodes were the best of the bunch. I have high hopes for what remains.... I just think the damage has been done. To really bloom Knight rider needs to find a spot in the hearts of the casual fan. The diehard fans like us are gonna watch basically no matter what. Hell if they put team knight rider back on the air we would probally watch it just because it is Knight rider affiliated.

Well if an episode is bad it might as well be not good. I mean we all know that the show was not great when it started. The scripts the acting, it was just not good. I woulden't think that someone sitting down to watch a tv show that if it was bad their going to keep watching week after week hoping it's going to get better. that's what turned people off on the idea of watching it. Their going to move on to something else. We can blame Obama all we want, but anyone with a brain and a tv guide can figure out what time Knight rider comes on. I think now it really relies on how much NBC is going to promote these last remaining episodes.

Once American Idol hits... it's going to be rough. Do some searches on the internet to see what people are saying about Knight rider. check the tv and movie reviews on myspace and places like that. Believe it or not people believe what critics say.

If 5 people came up to you and said hey have you heard the new Devon Styles album.... No I have not.... is it any good? They say No it's not. It sucks.... Chances are your not going to run out the the store and go buy it are ya?
NO your not. That's the same thing with Knight rider. You only really got 1 good chance to impress people. Your not going to keep going back to the same bad resturant hoping the food is going to get better. You move on to something else. Now we get to see if the people behind Knight rider can turn it around.

Now if the show would have been superb from the get-go then we probally would not be in this situation with the possible cancelation of Knight rider. Odviously the people in charge Know they screwed it up or else the reboot would have never happened. I don't understand if the people behind can see what was bad why can't some of the people watching it see what was bad as well.

K.R.O
Volunteer

Post by K.R.O » Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:22 pm

Please...say it ain't so!!! :cry:
Prepare to neutralize

ronni3
Operative

Post by ronni3 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:31 am

DevonStyles wrote:I agree... You can check my posts... I have said the last 2 episodes were the best of the bunch. I have high hopes for what remains.... I just think the damage has been done. To really bloom Knight rider needs to find a spot in the hearts of the casual fan. The diehard fans like us are gonna watch basically no matter what. Hell if they put team knight rider back on the air we would probally watch it just because it is Knight rider affiliated.

Well if an episode is bad it might as well be not good. I mean we all know that the show was not great when it started. The scripts the acting, it was just not good. I woulden't think that someone sitting down to watch a tv show that if it was bad their going to keep watching week after week hoping it's going to get better. that's what turned people off on the idea of watching it. Their going to move on to something else. We can blame Obama all we want, but anyone with a brain and a tv guide can figure out what time Knight rider comes on. I think now it really relies on how much NBC is going to promote these last remaining episodes.

Once American Idol hits... it's going to be rough. Do some searches on the internet to see what people are saying about Knight rider. check the tv and movie reviews on myspace and places like that. Believe it or not people believe what critics say.

If 5 people came up to you and said hey have you heard the new Devon Styles album.... No I have not.... is it any good? They say No it's not. It sucks.... Chances are your not going to run out the the store and go buy it are ya?
NO your not. That's the same thing with Knight rider. You only really got 1 good chance to impress people. Your not going to keep going back to the same bad resturant hoping the food is going to get better. You move on to something else. Now we get to see if the people behind Knight rider can turn it around.

Now if the show would have been superb from the get-go then we probally would not be in this situation with the possible cancelation of Knight rider. Odviously the people in charge Know they screwed it up or else the reboot would have never happened. I don't understand if the people behind can see what was bad why can't some of the people watching it see what was bad as well.
ur right in certain points u make. we die hard fans will support it.....im from pakistan man and i dun have access to NBC but i download the eps and watch them.... i know its not easy to admit the fact that yes they have screwed things up....but in my view not beyond repair.....it has a very strong chance the way the series is shaping. the next episodes will tell the tale...the fate lies in KARRs episode and the real reboot following that. and i think if we keep increasing even by a minimal amount we will get renewed cse of Idol. and i hope the series gets renewed cse it would be a shame if it wasnt...especiially after they are STARTING to get things right.
btw devon ive been meaning to ask....is NBC advertising KR?
"If I may attempt a colloquialism of my own, Thanks Brosef" K.I.T.T

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:23 am

When is it likley that we'll have some officail word on if Knight Rider gets a second season?

DevonStyles
FLAG Recruit

Post by DevonStyles » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:29 am

I woulden't say their going out of their way to promote Knight rider. I flip through channels quite a bit and i have not seen any commercials lately. I have not sat down and watched a nbc broadcast football game either. I know their not promoting enough. They need to be promoting in the magazines... rolling stone and the girlie magazines to sell this show.

I was watching rock of love last night and I seen a commercial for American idol on VH1. In case you don't know American Idol is on fox. So fox is going out of their way to promote on other competition channels. That speaks volumes to me about their dedication to their product. Nbc is not hardly promoting on their own network. What NBC needs to do is promote on fox during american idol... Get the word out.

I just realised that the Kitt vs Karr episode will be going up against the 2nd night of american idol? Don't they play Ido 2 nights in a row?

They won't probally say anything about being cancelled. It just won't show up in the next seasons list of shows.

KnightINSTINCT
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightINSTINCT » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:57 am

Whet, networks give the thumbs up or down by the latest, mid February.