Question regarding Reboot...

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Question regarding Reboot...

Post by pheonix_knight » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:23 pm

When we get to the 'reboot' of KR, are the producers going to treat it as a complete fresh start with Mike, Sarah, Billy, Zoe and Ki3t suddenly having amnesia about the events in episodes 1-13 (and the feb pilot....)???

Or are they going to attempt to make the episodes flow in such a way that new fans can get into it but people who've watched kr08 from the beginning will still have references that they will remember from the 'pre-boot'....???

Another question, while I think of it. Is the reboot still going to have a story arc running through it (albeit a different one to the first 13 episodes) or are they going back to the standalone episodes like in TOS and most television shows from the 80's???

Personally I would like to keep the 'arc' element.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Question regarding Reboot...

Post by Lost Knight » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:27 pm

Lost Knight wrote:But I also want to address everyone calling this move a “reboot.” It's not a reboot! Batman Begins was a reboot. The Incredible Hulk was a reboot. Dropping a few cast members is nothing but a smaller scale change to the series. If it were a reboot, we'd have completely new actors and probably a new car altogether.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:51 pm

Lost Knight wrote:
Lost Knight wrote:But I also want to address everyone calling this move a “reboot.” It's not a reboot! Batman Begins was a reboot. The Incredible Hulk was a reboot. Dropping a few cast members is nothing but a smaller scale change to the series. If it were a reboot, we'd have completely new actors and probably a new car altogether.
Ok, the term 'reboot' is being used to describe the change in direction that they are taking with the show, comprising of the cast streamlining, the type of missions, and the focus of the plotlines.

It's just shorter to type 'reboot'

Anyway, any answers anyone?

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Fri Nov 14, 2008 12:54 pm

It should probably be called a revision.

I think it is going to flow and not be sudden since we have spoilers that connect to things that happen beforehand. I think they'll just resolve certain issues, hopefully one being the Mike/Torres connection.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:05 pm

That's kind of what im hoping

TheGunheart
Volunteer

Post by TheGunheart » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:12 pm

I think the world you're looking for is "retool".

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:43 pm

Technically Kr would be a reboot, if you were referring to something like Batman Begins Id be more inclined to go with re-imagining since its a new way to tell the story,.

KR 2008 the series is really a sequel thats had a reboot or 6 :), Knight Rider the Movie would be a re-imagining , same characters but a new direction.

KnightINSTINCT
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightINSTINCT » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:19 pm

I don't believe the news regarding the focus on a smaller case should be considered a reboot/revision on the series. I suspected since the first episode that certain characters were going to go away. The storyline has already been set. This was intended practically from the beginning. That news article was probably set up to jive some interest back into the show.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:32 pm

It probably was planned for the start or close to it, since it seemed like at least someone would rebel against the government employees, but I'm sure some changes were also made due to the feedback they've been getting. At least some of them, though probably nothing really major..
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

weeezl
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by weeezl » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:45 pm

Interesting..........

Thinking about it, Gst said way back they had the story worked out right through till season 2, I think it was mentioned at the Comic Con (please correct me if this is wrong)

There's a damn good chance they had this the story arc planned right from the get-go.

Rookie

Post by 1982 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:10 am

If one puts together a timeline of details and events, the episodes that have been shown so far were done before the season premier. So the big decision would have been made before the series began. Another reason why any reaction to viewer feedback hasn't been seen.

Hopefully the series makes it despite the constant negativity and bashing on various boards and certain groups.

If the series doesn't make it, what chances does the motion picture have with another failure added to the KR track record. I would certainly think twice about investing in it. TWC has had its' share of flops. I doubt they would want to risk another.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:37 am

The word "re-imagining" is just a fancy word for a remake/reboot which are essentially one and the same thing. When the classic horror film, Halloween was re-made, they called it a "re-imagining". In fact, they tend to call a lot of remade movies re-imaginings these days. It's just a more posh way.

The changes they are making to the show is not enough to call it a reboot. Nowhere near.

Another mistake people are making is they keep putting spoiler tags over their own theories and ideas. Weird.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

taoworm2323
FLAG Assistant

Post by taoworm2323 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:16 pm

Come on 'reboot' number 3!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Xh3wUDk6BE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :lol:
"Don't tell me what I can't do!" ---John Locke

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:06 am

At least the producers haven't given up on the Show...

and that can only be commended...

KamenRider
Recruit

Post by KamenRider » Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:30 pm

I think "reboot" is more in the sense of the difference between seasons 1 and 2 of Star Trek TNG vs. what it was when Season 3 started. Or for you comics and animation fans out there a more severe example, the difference between JL and JLU. It's a continuation but things are being rethought and tweaked but everything previously established basically still counts. In anutshell, they're trying to make the show better and sometimes tv shows don't always get it right when they start, they have to have a shakedown cruise as they go. Though this does seem to happen more often with modern tv shows.

In terms of the cast I'm pleased because (meaning no offense to the actors) they're cutting almost exactly who I thought needed to be cut. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought the cast needed a trim.

There does still I think need to be some kind of Devon type overseer involved. One idea of Hoff filling that role would be a fun way to go. Though maybe the could work out the name confusion by having the current Michael Knight just refer to him as "cheif" or something. Or hell, bring Patricia Mac' in for it if she'd be interested.

So far everything I've heard about the reboot makes a lot of sense. I think even though it's taking cues from the previous series they can still find ways to innovate and keep it action packed. Also I have to say I actually enjoy the humor and sexual tension stuff with the core cast. It can be a little over the top sometimes but it's fun.

Most importantly though KITT's interactions with Michael need to be a core element. I understand they don't want the entire show to be a guy talking to his car which is fair enough but at the same time KITT's not just a car he's a character even if he's an AI in a muscle car. It's Michael and KITT front and center with the others around them is how I look at it. You need the pit crew, or the KITT crew if you like but it's Michael and KITT in the race.