Is this VK voice as KITT

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

KITT-2008
Volunteer

Is this VK voice as KITT

Post by KITT-2008 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:04 pm

I was looking around on line anything VK related to him voiceing KITT and came across this. If this has been talked about already and there is a thread about I am sorry.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NhxYtKArCo
HELLO MIKE

neps
Site Administrator
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: Is this VK voice as KITT

Post by neps » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:15 pm

Nope, it's not. That clip is from over a month ago. The Val Kilmer deal just went down very recently - no more than a week ago.

Here is Val Kilmer being interviewed at length, you can hear the difference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTeQy7avBtI

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:23 pm

This explains a lot. In the promos the voice of KITT (even in the latest one from yesterday) is inconsistant. One has a smooth/sarcastic tone, another has a dark "growly" tone. I'm guessing those are either early Arnett tapings or a temp track put in by some random actor they brought in to do the VO.

I'm having a hard time imagining Kilmer's voice as KITT, but he is very good at adjusting the tones of his voice to suit the personality he plays, so I'm actually very curious now.
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:27 pm

:lol: That's the video I came across when I did a search to listen to his voice.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

KITT-2008
Volunteer

Post by KITT-2008 » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:32 pm

Well I know they just resently signed VK as voice of KITT but that doesn't mean he was on board earlyer then that to do test runs of his voice. I don't know but I've seen almost all of VK movies and that promo I found sounds alot like him. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.
HELLO MIKE

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:36 pm

We interviewed a member of the Cast on January 18th, and they just found out then about Arnett, so it's highly unlikely that they had Val Kilmer doing voice overs 10 days prior. At that point Arnett was recording voice overs.

This other video has been agreed that it was an early copy with dummy VO work - you can see the animation at the end isn't complete.

Neil

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Wed Feb 06, 2008 7:59 pm

So the latest preiview?
Who's doing the voice of Kitt in that?

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:51 pm

I could swear I heard a little Will Arnett in it, but other parts not so much. So probably just someone that was a placeholder. That can be done by just about anyone.

Listening to Kilmer's voice for the first time in awhile, I can certainly see it working.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Cam KNIGHT
Recruit

Post by Cam KNIGHT » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:56 am

Hi Guys !

Just an introduction :

I'm a french fan of the Show (named K2000 in france ^^ ) and I'm registered on the french Kro : http://www.knight2000.net (it's not commercial for the website, because i'm not the webmaster) !

I'm happy to see that NBC is doing a sequel to the show and not awful remake. In france we know for this sequel since 5-6 month.

My Feelings about VK as the voice of KITT :

It's Great ! I think that his voice, is better for KITT than Arnett's voice (I respect his work, but I think that's not corresponding). I enjoy for the new show, and please, don't shoot it as long as it's not on the screen ! ^^

Sorry for my Bad English ^^

Cam Knight , a french young loner on a crusade to champion the cause of the innocents ...

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:01 am

I am not particularly happy about the choice of Kilmer doing the voice of KITT. I only found out about this, this morning. The thing with Val is that he is too well known and this will take away some of the character of the car.

They should have got another relatively unknown voice actor.

I never heard of Will Arnett prior to his firing.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KITT-2008
Volunteer

Post by KITT-2008 » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:26 pm

Here is a video of VK doing voice over for The Prince of Egypt he voices Moses. I can totally see VK doing KITT now after seeing this vid. I can't wait people I'm so excited. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwcfaTbMZEA
HELLO MIKE

DBHughes
Stranger

Post by DBHughes » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:27 am

Well, there is a fun thing about Kilmer being the new voice of K.I.T.T. In his 1985 film Real Genius, Kilmer played technological genius Chris Knight. It could be that Chris got back involved with the family business at some point; I doubt the Real Genius character could resist immortalizing his voice in a smart-alec car like K.I.T.T. :lol:
Sliders - The Dimension of Continuity
Another step-child of the NBC Universal family

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:23 am

Skav wrote:The thing with Val is that he is too well known and this will take away some of the character of the car.
If an actor has skills, then their name should not take away from anything but rather add to the marketability of a project. Val Kilmer has demonstrated his ability to do voice acting before, and his live action work often involves him getting into characters that have him tweaking his voice. His Marlon Brando impersonation is still burned into my brain to this day. :) Point is, he's a good character actor and that's what you need for a role like KITT.
Skav wrote:I never heard of Will Arnett prior to his firing.
He didn't get fired, he voluntarily left at GM's request. He recorded already and it's not like he was thrown out of the studio or something.

As for fame, I agree VK is a "bigger" name, but Arnett is hardly "unknown". When his name was announced as KITT's voice, most people I knew (some not even scifi fans of any sort) immedialy identified him as Gob from "Arrested Development" or Horst from "Ratatouille".
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:35 pm

If an actor has skills, then their name should not take away from anything but rather add to the marketability of a project.
I agree to an extent but it will add marketability in a different way. Remember, when people were talking about kitt from the original show they never thought about WD.

VK is famous the world over and has been in a lot of Hollywood movies, this markets the show but only because of Kilmer's name. And to me, this isn't good for the character of the car.

Voice tweaking may help but to see Kilmer's name in the end credits is just too weird.
He didn't get fired, he voluntarily left at GM's request.
I'm pretty sure there was a contract in all this somewhere. :wink:
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ckeller22
Operative

Post by ckeller22 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 5:13 pm

What I have been reading and seeing VK is bringing in a whole new bunch of people interested in seeing VK's work as Kitt.So if his name and Hollywood status is going to bring in more viewer ship to the show the better.