David Hasselhoff's Return to Primetime TV (Not Knight Rider)

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

knightdogg
Rookie

David Hasselhoff's Return to Primetime TV (Not Knight Rider)

Post by knightdogg » Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:45 am

[url]http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve_ma ... 1|,00.html[/url]

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - In a move that has been much too long in coming, television legend David Hasselhoff is hoping to make his return to primetime in an upcoming ABC pilot.
Hasselhoff, a People's Choice Award winner for his work in the seminal talking car drama "Knight Rider," is joining the cast of ABC's untitled comedy from journalist and humorist Joel Stein and Marsh McCall ("Just Shoot Me").

The series focuses on a young reporter at a national magazine. Recent "O.C." guest star Colin Hanks is set to play the lead role, based on Time writer Stein. According to The Hollywood Reporter, Hasselhoff will play a "dashing war correspondent" at the magazine.

Soap fans will remember Hasselhoff from his lengthy run as William "Snapper" Foster on "The Young and the Restless" and William Daniels fans will remember him talking to a Trans-Am in NBC's "Knight Rider." For much of the world, though, the actor remains the star and executive producer on "Baywatch" and many of its surrounding telefilms, most recently, "Baywatch: Hawaiian Wedding."
Hasselhoff has also developed a reputation among fans as a musical theater star and a successful recording artist.

SwEeTiNsAnItY
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by SwEeTiNsAnItY » Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:29 am

Yay for him! I don't really like sitcoms but I think I'll check this one out just to see what Hasselhoff's been up to! Thanks for the news, let us know more once you get more if you can :)

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Thu Apr 01, 2004 6:40 am

Ooh, neat news knightdogg! One of the writers strikes me as interesting, Joel Stein... he writes for Time magazine and for a few months for Entertainment Weekly, he also was interview in those I love the 80s bits for VH1. Let's hope ABC decides to pick up the show... Congrats to David! And best of luck to everyone on that!

And if this article wasn't posted on March 29th, I would have thought it to be an April fools joke! ;)
Last edited by neps on Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

krfan1
FLAG Recruit

Post by krfan1 » Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:41 am

...or is it???

Nick

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Thu Apr 01, 2004 8:28 pm

I have a little more information directly from the source, Joel Stein!
It is all true. David Hasselhoff will save ABC. He's
playing a dashing, full-of-himself war correspondent
in a sitco about me when I first got to Time magazine
when I was 25, since I'm the only topic that really
interests me.
Joel
So looks like it's may not be an April fools after all! ;)

april curtis
Volunteer

good one, but...

Post by april curtis » Sat Apr 03, 2004 9:57 pm

you forget to say
"happy april fools"
there is no mention of this so-called news on variety(most important of all), et, , abc or any news outlet i searched.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Sun Apr 04, 2004 1:30 am

It wasn't an April Fools joke... the article that was linked was posted on March 28th, only this thread here was posted on the 1st. Just because its not available in every outlet, does not mean that it is not happening. The show was greenlighted for a pilot and so far thats all. It's up to the network execs once the pilot is completed to decided weither or not to approve it for more episodes or even put it on its fall lineup. In reality, this series may never see the light of day. There are tons of pilots that don't make it past that stage, this could just join the list.

You can do a search on google to pick up other sites, such as this one:

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/Sh ... wid-24764/

And also Broadcasting & Cable which is a big trade magazine had an article on it, unfortunatly the article is only available to paid subscribers online, but if you do a search for colin hanks, joel stein, and david hasselhoff, you can see a few lines of the article in the google search results.

knightman
Operative

Post by knightman » Sun Apr 04, 2004 4:31 am

seems to me he's doing every but knight rider related :cry:
apart from the dvd collection its all been pretty slow..

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Sun Apr 04, 2004 7:48 pm

It also appeared in this weeks Entertainment Weekly, pg 14 - Deal Report:
TELEVISION Running toward your TV--in slo-mo--is Hasselhoff! Der David's signed for a sitcom pilot based on former EW columnist Joel Stein's life as a young magazine writer. Opposite Colin Hanks as Stein, Hass plays Striker, "a rock & roll, womanizing, Pulitzer Prize-winning war correspondent," says the Baywatch beau, calling from a jet boat. "I said if I was gonna come back to television, I wanted to come back in a sitcom because the hours are so great."

pavanbadal
Recruit

Post by pavanbadal » Sun Apr 04, 2004 11:04 pm

"The Untitled Joel Stein/Marsh McCall Project"
Cast:
Colin Hanks: Joel Stein
Andrea Anders: Emma Leeds
Sharon Lawrence: J.D. Connor
David Hasselhoff: Stryker Langley
Sheryl Lee Ralph: Cicely Dupree
Roger Rees: Marshall Cahill

Credits:
Production Companies: Warner Bros. Television, ACME Productions, Marsh McCall Productions, Inc.
Executive Producer/Writer: Marsh McCall
Executive Producers: Michael Hanel, Mindy Schultheis
Co-Executive Producer/Writer: Joel Stein
Director: Pam Fryman

He's young. He's literate. He's cocky. But he doesn't have a clue what he's doing at America's largest, weekly newsmagazine. After all, they write in the third person, and they think stories should be researched.

Taking a page or nine from the real-life experiences of TIME Magazine's Joel Stein, this is the ultimate fish out of water story. Joel can't swim in the news pool very well, but what he does do is write from a unique point of view. Though he's sure he's about to be fired, he'll breathe some life into the stuffy old rag. Of course, all of his colleagues at American Weekly think he represents the dumbing down of their esteemed institution – and they're never going to let him forget it!

Starring Colin Hanks (Orange County, Roswell), it's my generation vs. theirs as only Joel Stein's razor-sharp wit can present it.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:03 pm

I have an odd comment/prediction about this show.

Joel Stein has become a bit of a D-list media celebrity over the past year. I've seen him on a couple of shows, most notably hosting a week of programming on cable channel Trio. Stein hand-picked a bunch of trashy old series to air including "Battle of the Network Stars" and the variety show "Pink Lady and Jeff". He would add commentary during the commercial breaks and was pretty funny.

My concern is that I fear Stein's style of humor is too dry for your standard sitcom format. This show may be better off if it was done without a laughtrack in the style of Malcolm in the Middle or Arrested Development, or going back to Sports Night. ("Dramedy" style)

I don't know much about Joel Stein, and know even less about the new show. But from what little I have seen, I think he'd do better with a more free-style format than with a 3-camera sitcom.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com