K.A.R.R.'s Voice

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

KARR_Lover
Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

K.A.R.R.'s Voice

Post by KARR_Lover » Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:10 pm

Well, my complete memory of alot of the Knight Rider episodes I used to watch is quite sketchy. So in order for me to make a more informed discussion about the differences between Peter Cullen and Paul Frees work as the voice of K.A.R.R. I had to rely on listening to a few sound samples as well as K.A.R.R.'s debut episode on the Season One Collection. I have to say that I find myself liking Peter Cullen more. Maybe it's due to the fact that I have such affectionate memories of his work as Optimus Prime on the G1 Transfoprmers Cartoon that lends more partiality. But I guess it has more to do with the fact that whenever I hear Paul Frees I immediately think of Rocky and Bullwinkle or many of the Rankin Bass Claymation specials. I mean yeah, K.A.R.R. was pretty menacing in his second episode as opposed to his first, but I just keep picturing the Burgermeister or Boris Badinoff in my head. But I guess what it really comes down to is the fact that K.A.R.R. was more child-like and quite naive in the episode Peter Cullen voiced him in than in the episode Paul Frees did the voice. I just found K.A.R.R.'s menacing child-like naiviety more endearing personally.

edwardknight2007
Recruit

Post by edwardknight2007 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:14 pm

Well look at it this way, KARR is betrayed by the Foundation, by his own Creator and when he is buried in all that sand in season 3, He has one thing on his mind:Revenge. Revenge against Michael Knight, against KITT, and The Foundation for not using him as the FLAG-ship. Wouldn't you be a little angry and vengeful? I think that is what made Paul Frees intrepretation of KARR's voice better than Cullen's. He played KARR as the bad guy and the complete and utter opposite of KITT. He cares for nothing except exacting revenge on those who had betrayed him and he would use anyone or anything like he did poor John in KITT Verses KARR.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sat Apr 09, 2005 7:44 pm

Agreed. K.A.R.R.'s naïveté was a result of being incarcerated and having a lack of human interaction in real-life situations. He learned to be more sadistic in his ways after being betrayed a second time by Tony and Rev in "Trust Doesn't Rust." I felt somewhat sorry for him in this episode, yet creeped-out by him in "K.I.T.T. Vs. K.A.R.R."

I think it worked out better that KARR had two different personalities rather than the same all along. KARR having two personalities I think is actually more consistent with K.I.T.T.'s growth in personality from the first season to the fourth. Even though KARR had no interaction with anyone again for another two years, he didn't need to in order to still be able to grow mentally.

edwardknight2007
Recruit

Post by edwardknight2007 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 8:10 pm

Lost Knight,
I agree with you there...I would have loved to see more of KARR but alas we were saddened when NBC anounced that Knight Rider would not return for a 5th Season back then. I know it saddened me as a 12 year old. I grew up with Knight Rider and now have a chance to relive all those old episodes all over again. I would love to see KARR as the baddie in the new Knight Rider Movie once they get it started and completed if it ever does get completed!

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:10 pm

The thing with KARR is, while they wanted to make a good robot bad-car for KITT and Michael to fight, it turned out that I would love to have KARR turn GOOD and work WITH KITT and not against him. It would also have made for more humorous undertones as the two could argue back and forth at times. :) KITT was the only-car otherwise. I know too many spoil the pot (as I think what happened with TKR) but having ONE more good Knight Vehicle to play off KITT's own personality might have added a little zest. And it would have been neat as a story to have KARR turn good as nobody would expect it. Would probably have made a nice 2-hr. 5th Season premiere where KARR is rebuilt and goes against the person who rebuilt him to again, seek out KITT and Michael. But somehow KARR's programming might have been altered in the rebuilt - not a lot but slightly enough to make him have second thoughts, especially maybe after some development like overhearing Devon say he wanted KARR back to be put in service to HELP KITT and Michael. Or something. :)

Somehow I loved the Paul Frees version of KARR and think that would have made a nice 2nd Knight vehicle.

Somehow they could have always made another evil car by maybe an evil version of The Foundation and such, or have Goliath have an AI at some point that KITT and KARR would have to battle. And some episodes could revolve around KARR (of course with some KITT involved).

I think the possibilities would give more opportunity for more interesting episodes.
Last edited by FuzzieDice on Sun Apr 10, 2005 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KARR_Knight
Rookie

Post by KARR_Knight » Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:57 pm

Best part was when KARR lured Johns girlfriend into the car then talked with Johns voice, Then the chick started freaking out, Then asking John if he ever seen someone explode in a vaccum. Hey all KARR needed was to be wanted. If it was me i would have kept KARR. Think what things you could do that KITT wouldnt!

edwardknight2007
Recruit

Post by edwardknight2007 » Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:58 pm

they could have borrowed the "Mirror Universe" concept from Star trek which would have opened up new avenues for the series, which would include a "good" KARR

KARR_Lover
Recruit

Post by KARR_Lover » Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:08 am

Hmmmmm....a sentient AI with multiple personalities......that gives me the seed of an idea to follow up my fanfiction I'm writing at the moment.

KARR_Lover
Recruit

Post by KARR_Lover » Sun Apr 10, 2005 3:14 am

edwardknight2007 wrote:I think that is what made Paul Frees intrepretation of KARR's voice better than Cullen's.
Well, like I said, I have a major soft spot for Peter Cullen's voice talents because of his legendary work as Optimus Prime in the 80's cartoon. Also he did the voiceover for the opening to another majorly fave cartoon I watched as a kid called Voltron. Plus, I'm not sure what the ratio of male to female users is here, but being female myself, I think the childish naivete is more endearing from my genderly standpoint than K.A.R.R. being all out evil. You know what they say about some ladies and their sympathy with misunderstood bad boys. I guess you could apply the same idea to this discussion.