2 New Replica questions...

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Knight224
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

2 New Replica questions...

Post by Knight224 » Sun Mar 13, 2005 7:04 pm

I had two questions... but I forgot one. I don't know why I'm telling you this. Anyway, the question I remember is for those of you with replicas: Do you drive your replica "in the public"? Now I'm not talking about the cons or car shows, I mean to everyday places like Walmart. I don't think I could ever do that if I had one because I'm paranoid. It's not that I would do anything, it's that I'd be worried that someone else would be stupid and do something. Then again, wouldn't that take all the fun out of having a replica if you can't show him off?!

I remember the second question now! :lol: What was the first thing you started in on once you had your car and the funds? Exterior or interior?

Knight Rider 2day 2morrow 4ever

Leaving the forum May 3, 2006. (Losing internet connection.) Thanks for all the wonderful memories!!! -- Dropped in Feb 18, 2008 to say 'hi'.

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:07 pm

I hardly ever drive my car. I sure as hell wouldn't take it to a Wal-Mart or anything. Your right people are stupid. You have people opening their doors into or jelous punks that just want to damage it.

The first thing I did for my car was paint it black and get the turbo cast rims. I think it's more benficial to start from the outside in. You get instant recognition of it being KITT and it's way cheaper. What good is having a fully down interior when the outside looks like crap. Yeah, people see the outside and look disappointed to not see all the familiar inside gadgets, but if the outside looks bad, no one will ever get close enought to see all the wonderful interior stuff.
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:42 pm

If I had a KITT replica, I would definitely never use it as a daily driver. Too many hassles involved including jerks who might want to take their jealousy and ire over your beloved replica when you're not looking. Then there is the issue over gas mileage. I would want a very economical car to get around town without paying a king's ransom in gas bills (as we all know, Firebirds are gas hogs).

So the question boils down to...When is the right time to drive your replica? I would suggest weekend outings or any trip that would not require the car to be exposed to tight parking spaces. Or any trip that won't be hampered by extreme traffic conditions (traffic really makes cars guzzle even more gas).

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:49 pm

If I had a replica. I would drive it. But when I do. I will sure as hell have to pack some heat. You know, whenever some punk thinks they can mess with my car. :twisted:
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Sun Mar 13, 2005 9:53 pm

TurbomanKnight wrote:If I had a replica. I would drive it. But when I do. I will sure as hell have to pack some heat. You know, whenever some punk thinks they can mess with my car. :twisted:
That would get you into more trouble. It's better to avoid such incidents rather than using violence. Besides, Michael Knight was never known to carry a gun around. :wink:

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:14 pm

HondaSiR wrote:
TurbomanKnight wrote:If I had a replica. I would drive it. But when I do. I will sure as hell have to pack some heat. You know, whenever some punk thinks they can mess with my car. :twisted:
That would get you into more trouble. It's better to avoid such incidents rather than using violence. Besides, Michael Knight was never known to carry a gun around. :wink:
I simply say: "Im sorry Officer, but my finger slipped, pulling the trigger. Ill promise to be extra careful next time. :twisted:" :wink: lol
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

KNIGHT RAIDER
Operative

Post by KNIGHT RAIDER » Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:16 pm

I own a black 2000 Firebird Trans Am WS6 Ram Air, which makes alot of heads turn wherever I drive it. Sometimes I pretend that my car is an updated version of KITT, as I blow right past other vehicles. :D I always park my Trans Am away from other cars to avoid dings and scrapes, caused by swinging doors. The only time I don't mind seeing a car parked next to mine is if it happens to be another Firebird Trans Am or a Camaro, which has happened on several occasions.
I don't need no "Wizard Of Oz Car" putting me behind the 8 ball, for nothing. LOL (The Rev)

All they did was blow away a "Ringmaster", they didn't even steal any hamburgers. LOL (Michael)

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Sun Mar 13, 2005 10:35 pm

You plan on cutting out a scanner opening on your front end, Raider?
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

KNIGHT RAIDER
Operative

Post by KNIGHT RAIDER » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:03 am

I have been thinking of having a green scanner installed, but first I want to compare prices to find the best deal.
I don't need no "Wizard Of Oz Car" putting me behind the 8 ball, for nothing. LOL (The Rev)

All they did was blow away a "Ringmaster", they didn't even steal any hamburgers. LOL (Michael)

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:21 am

If I had a replica, I would like to drive it and not only keep it as a showcar. It would definately have to be a secondary car though and taken out rarely. Something to work on as a hobby in my spare time like other car enthusiasts do with classic cars. Maybe one day if I get married and have kids I could picture having a son work on the car with me as a bonding experience. (Anyone who owns a replica would probably agree that its never really finished!)

I'd like to take it out every once-in-a-while on a nice sunny weekend and go cruising around with the T-tops off. One of the main reasons (aside from personal gratification) why I would want to have a replica is to turn heads as I cruise past people. I'd love to have that feeling of driving a new car (or in this case a refurbished one) just once as the only cars I've ever owned were pieces of $#%^! I envy all of you who own replicas or 4th generation Firebirds!
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:10 am

I say anyone who would drive these car everyday (unless they had no other choice) is crazy. You are just asking for attention and trouble (trying that little gun trick will cost you your life in CA). It sounds good on paper, but any one that has owned a 3rd gen (not a conversion) will tell you these cars are not intended as daily drivers.

So unless you can afford the gas, upkeep to make sure the interior stays looking new (think about it, painted fiberglass parts. Your switchpods alone will look like crap in no time from constantly getting in and out of it.), paintjobs (these cars attrack paint chips like moths to a flame), extensive maintenance due to the fact that you are driving something over 20 years old, go for it. Otherwise your just be hooptying around in some old POS giving KITT a realy bad reputation.

Knight224
Operative

Post by Knight224 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:20 pm

Thanks everyone! T'was muchly appreciated! :D

There was another question I thought of maybe five minutes ago... but guess what... I FORGOT! :P

Leaving the forum May 3, 2006. (Losing internet connection.) Thanks for all the wonderful memories!!! -- Dropped in Feb 18, 2008 to say 'hi'.

kittfan69
Recruit

Post by kittfan69 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 4:42 pm

Actually, I had a thought on this subject as well. If i ever own a replica (and i will before i die-even if it kills me), i will consider a few trick mods or "self-protect features for my replica reguardless of where or when i take it out. I envision either a type of system like i saw on tv once where a chick installed auxilliary fuel pipes under each doorjam. And whenever someone failed to comply with the anti-theft systems' warnings, it would torch the crap out of them! Also i have been trying to conceptualize a high-voltage shock system to the same end. I would dearly love to see someone screw with my dream!!

walter h. anderson
FLAG Recruit

Post by walter h. anderson » Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:17 pm

If I had a KR replica, I would drive it to work once or twice a summer (just to show off). Otherwise, just a good Sunday drive would work for me.
If you don't make a difference, you are not the Knight Rider.

Knight224
Operative

Post by Knight224 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 8:03 pm

kittfan69 - i remember seeing the thing on TV that you are talking about. haha, very funny! :lol: of course I don't remember what it was from though.

Something I DO remember is the third question! I think it would be cool to have a survailance systerm in one of the screens. If I found one with the properly sized screen, could I rig the remote so I didn't have to use it but could use the buttons in the car instead? And could I mount the cameras on the car itself (the cameras are like solid black taxedermy eyes now, about as big as a half dollar)? Just wondering :D

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Tue Mar 15, 2005 9:30 pm

Some have them mounted in place of the trunk lock behind the blackout. However, the one you describe would stick out as the hole is smaller than the camera. You could still route the wiring through the hole, you would just have to design a bracket to hold it. Since some of the nose, like mine, have actually shelves located behind the blackouts for the turn indicators you could also easily mount it there.

Knight224
Operative

Post by Knight224 » Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:09 pm

Cool. Thanks.

Nelson B
Operative

2 new replica questions

Post by Nelson B » Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:11 pm

Well this has been interesting reading I drive my kitt replica all the time thats why I bought him most people where I live dont even notice him knight rider has been off the air for quite a long time now. And if you want to watch the show you have to wait until midnight because thats the time slot its on in my neck of the woods.