1/18 Die Cast KITT Coming In December

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

ReddawgKnight
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by ReddawgKnight » Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:22 pm

yes i bought a KITT from there...they are pretty quick on their deliveries too

Knight 'n' Day
Recruit

Post by Knight 'n' Day » Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:13 am

I'd recommend diecastmuscle.com. I have a sizeable collection of diecast cars and they are the only place I will order from. They communicate well and ship fast. Plus, they're listing KITT and the upcoming KARR at $27.50, so you'll save yourself a few bucks over idcow.com

IrlKnight
Stranger

Post by IrlKnight » Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:16 pm

I dont know if anyone posted this before. What is going on with the fog lights in this picture? http://www.diecastexpress.com/shopping/ ... atID=10463

PBH
FLAG Assistant

Post by PBH » Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:25 pm

A newer version of KITT with corrected fogs!!!!!!!!!! DARE I DREAM!!!
Phil
On Facebook & MySpace :-)

"One man can make a difference. Like Orville Redenbacher"

PBH
FLAG Assistant

Post by PBH » Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:37 pm

I e-mailed them @ Ordering@diecastexpress.com

I recently ordered the above-mentoned vehicle. The version that I received had 6 fogs lights on the front nose. 4 were white while 2 were incorrectly orange (see attached photo). This model with the incorrectly colored fog lights was sold everywhere. However, I recently logged onto your site to find a photo of the Knight Rider K.I.T.T. with all 6 fog lights showing correctly as white (http://www.diecastexpress.com/shopping/ ... atID=10463). Is this a newer release of this model or an error in the photo on your site?

Phil

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:58 pm

Hm, that's interesting. I think that's just a picture of the Aoshima version. There appear to be black dots in the middle of the lenses. The tape is still on the T-tops in that picture, too.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

PBH
FLAG Assistant

Post by PBH » Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:45 pm

I got my reply Ordering@diecastexpress.com. Doesn't really answer the question though. Have a look for yourself.

E-MAIL FROM Ordering@diecastexpress.com

Hi Phillip,

Thank you for your email. The product photos we use are often of prototypes since the items are still in development while the packaging needs to be completed. Usually, the item continues to change right up until production. As stated on the package, product and colors may vary.

Best Regards,
M. McGrath
RC2 Customer Service

MY REPLY BACK

Thanks for your reply.

Is there any way you can check the physical package & let me know if there are 2 orange fog lights or if all 6 are clear? This would be much appreciated as if they have corrected the model to 6 clear fog lights, many of us would be placing an order shortly.

Thanks again!!!

I'll update here as soon as I get a reply.
Phil

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:37 pm

Sounds like a generic automatic E-mail to me. The program just copies the name accordingly for each response.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Tue Mar 22, 2005 10:31 am

If they update the model, I'd hope they fix the scannerpause, make the tail light blackout flat, make the turnsignal covers to the frontnose and more realistic foglight opening to the frontnose.
Those updates would make me buy this model again.

-KITTfan-

PBH
FLAG Assistant

Post by PBH » Tue Mar 22, 2005 4:29 pm

ANOTHER REPLY FROM faq@rc2corp.com:

Hi Phil,

Well, I'll need to get one. It'll take a couple days. I'll let you know what I see when I get the kit. Please note that the stock on these at http://www.diecastexpress.com is running low.

Best Regards,
M. McGrath
Phil

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Wed Mar 23, 2005 9:20 am

How big is it, exactly? I know it's 1:18 scale, but how big is 1/18th of a Trans Am?
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

PBH
FLAG Assistant

Post by PBH » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:11 am

Length - About 10.75 Inches
Width - About 4 Inches
Height - About 2.75 Inches
Phil

PBH
FLAG Assistant

Post by PBH » Fri Mar 25, 2005 11:25 am

Interesting. At first I thought photo used for the upcoming KARR from http://www.diecastdirect.com was the Aoshima model. But note the differences like the tires. If all 6 fogs happen to be clear, I'll probably pick up 2 KARR's and replace KITT's orange fogs. That is of course unless Ertl can send me extra fog lights.

AOSHIMA

ERTL (As per http://www.diecastdirect.com/asp_module ... ode=E39139 )
Phil

TransAmKITT2000
Volunteer

Post by TransAmKITT2000 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 7:40 pm

I guess that I finally broke down and ordered my diecast 1/18 scale
of KITT today.Looking forward to getting it after much debate.

Knight 5150
Volunteer

Post by Knight 5150 » Sun Mar 27, 2005 8:59 am

Hi guys. Look at this ERTL KITT that I've found in the spanish eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.es/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... eName=WDVW

In the third picture, do you see those fog lights?
:?:

PBH
FLAG Assistant

Post by PBH » Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:10 am

http://www.diecastexpress.com/shopping/ ... atID=10463

http://cgi.ebay.es/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... eName=WDVW

Two sites showing KITT with clear fogs within about a week? Doesn't seem like a coincidence anymore, does it? I'm expecting a reply from http://www.diecastdirect.com any day now (see my previous posts). I'll let you know as soon as I get a response.
Last edited by PBH on Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phil

PBH
FLAG Assistant

Post by PBH » Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:20 am

MY E-MAIL TO ERTL @ FAQ@rc2corp.com

To whom it may concern.

I purchased the above-mentioned model (Knight Rider K.I.T.T.) upon its release in late 2005. As you may or may not be aware of, the fog lights on this model were incorrect having 4 clear and 2 orange instead of all 6 being clear.

Recently, 2 photos have surfaced on the net showing the current Ertl KITT model with all 6 fog lights being correctly clear.

Can you confirm if this is correct? If so, how may I go about ordering a set of the newly corrected 6 clear fog lights.

Thank you for your time.
Phil

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Sun Mar 27, 2005 12:24 pm

Looks like the second batch of ERTL KITT has hit the market. It probably features the three colorless fog lamps and black display stand (the first few copies had a silver colored stand). Too bad ERTL didn't go all the way to correct the tinted rear windshield and flat colored front fender vents. If they corrected all the mistakes of the first release, I may just purchase another one. But if its only the fog lamps, I'm pretty happy with my current copy.

Paul
Rookie

Post by Paul » Sun Mar 27, 2005 5:15 pm

Interesting...

I ordered my model on Friday night; I ordered it from US Amazon.com, as it was the cheapest I could find ($34 including shipping).

I was going to order it three weeks or so ago from there, but on the day I went to order, it was listed as currently unavailable; they'd temporarily sold out. Now it's reavailable, so I ordered. Given HondaSiR's comment about the next batch hitting the market, I wonder if that indeed is true? The photo at Amazon still shows the orange fog light, but I wonder if when it comes, my model will actually have the clear lamps like the two photos being shown?

It's estimated for delivery around Thursday, so I'll let you guys know if it does have the clear lamps when it arrives.

Chances are (I hope anyhow) that ERTL has indeed updated the fog lamps. After all, we're not necessarily the only people who've emailed them; even if the model has other flaws, a wrongly coloured exterior part is probably the most glaringly visible error - something even only a casual fan might spot...if ERTL has recieved enough comments about this, maybe they changed it inbetween batches of models.

PBH
FLAG Assistant

Post by PBH » Mon Mar 28, 2005 2:15 pm

REPLY FROM mmmcgra@rc2corp.com (http://www.diecastexpress.com)

Hi Phil,

I have looked at the product and the two outside fog lights are orange but
the other 4 lights are clear.

Thanks & Regards,
Michelle

DOH!!! Well I'm still waiting for Ertl to reply to the e-mail I sent them (See previous post). Let's keep our fingers crossed!!!
Phil

PBH
FLAG Assistant

Post by PBH » Tue Mar 29, 2005 12:38 am

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 04005&rd=1

Yet another eBay 1:18 Scale KITT with 6 clear fog lights. This time, in the UK. It's becoming more & more clear that a new 2nd batch has been released. So far, the only difference noticed are the fog lights, but no other shots indicates any other alterations/corrections.

Again, I'm still waiting for a reply from Ertl, but if there is a new batch with corrected fog lights... I WANT ONE!
Phil

Paul
Rookie

Post by Paul » Wed Mar 30, 2005 3:03 pm

Paul wrote:
It's estimated for delivery around Thursday, so I'll let you guys know if it does have the clear lamps when it arrives.
It doesn't. Unfortunately KITT arrived this morning with the same orange fog lamps everyone else has mentioned. Which is a shame, but otherwise I have to say, the model is BEAUTIFUL. My thoughts on it:

PROS

• It's HUGE
• It's heavy; clearly really well put together.
• Tiny attention to detail in the stickers on the dashboard...the fact that they're stickers doesn’t bother me, I just love all the details.
• Attention to detail in the roof console, the between the seats console, and the button pods to the side of the steering wheel.
• The fact that, despite no paint, the voice modulator is "grooved" into four sections, the larger at the top being KITT’s actual modulator, the lower three being the Normal, Auto, Pursuit buttons.
• The serious shine and cool reflections on the two TV monitors.
• No Pontiac logos anywhere.
• THE WORKING SCANNER…can’t wait until it gets dark to try it without the lights on.
• Detailed underside including driveshaft, fuel cell, sump, etc.
• Removable smoked-glass T-Tops
• Working steering
• Ejector seat and grappling hook; I haven’t pulled it out all the way, but each time I have it’s retracted properly.

CONS

• Gas cap on drivers side; sure KITT’s cap is behind the rear licence plate.
• Orange fog lamps…but nothing I can do about that.
• The passenger side T-Top doesn’t always want to sit snugly in the roof-frame, I sometimes have to jiggle it to lock it in place.
• Steering doesn’t have much play in the steering wheel, which is a shame

Ummm, that’s about it, I think. Overall, I’m absolutely STOKED with it, and aside from being a great Knight Rider collectible in it’s own right, it’s convinced me to restart my collection of 1:18 scale diecasts again.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:45 pm

Personally, I decided I'll wait for KARR's release and then maybe get both if I have the funds. Hopefully by then KITT will have clear fog lights. I don't like the black dots and the prominance of the fog lights on the die cast models though, for some reason. I thought both KITT and KARR's fog lights were more sunk in. In ract, you couldn't even see KARR's, even in KvK, iirc.

I just picked up a couple common new-in-box KITT model kits which I plan to make one KITT and one KARR. That should hold me for awhile.

Now I gotta go buy glue at the hobby store (there's two in my area, luckily) and I already have paint but might need more, then go find TIME to do the models! LOL! Heck, with work, and spring coming and work planned for Dryden, I don't know when I'll find time but at least it'll be here for me to work on a bit at a time. I think I'll do KITT first to get an idea of how the model is, basically, before I attempt KARR. If I wanted to be "politically correct" I guess I COULD do KARR first. ;) Well, no, he went silver/black (which is the version I plan to make) AFTER KITT was already on the road. :)

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:10 am

Paul wrote:CONS • Gas cap on drivers side; sure KITT’s cap is behind the rear licence plate.
But in the series the Trans Am's gas cap always remained on the side of the car. So that detail of the model is accurate. The reason for this in the series I guess is that the Foundation kept the stock Trans Am's shell intact (except for the nose) and reworked the configuration underneath.

As for the clear lights, FuzzieDice is right that they still have the black dots just like the Aoshima version. I thought part of the reason many of us bought our Ertl versions was because even though it had orange fog lights, the lights were better made and looked real. I'd still actually pick the better looking lights with the orange than 6 cheap looking ones. You can always cover up the orange lights with electrical tape, paint, or just take the car apart and pop them out anyway.

What most people here seem to overlook is the fact that having 6 lights in general with no bumper grills or turn signal blackouts is inaccurate already, regardless of whether they're clear or orange. The model having 6 lights looks like too many in my opinion anyway.

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Thu Mar 31, 2005 10:53 am

The foglights seems to be easy to fix but the whole frontbumper being without turnsignal blackouts and wide openings for the foglights are much harder to fix, that would require re-tooling the model. I'd like the foglight openings have the grilles so the foglights would not be so visible.
I also think it would have been better leave the hatch to not open so the rearglass would be possible to make look accurate, now the hatch opens and therefore needs the metal frame around the rearglass and it looks very wrong. I wonder if ERTL will do the hatch this way to the upcoming '82 Recaro Trans-Am model too?

-KITTfan-