1/18 Die Cast KITT Coming In December

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by TurbomanKnight » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:03 pm

Hunter wrote:there is one problem i am having with mine,its not a big problem but it gets annoying,the left handisde door is really loose and it just keeps flying open whenever i pickup the model :evil: anyone got any suggestions on how to fix this without defacing the interior?
There should be a screw where the hinge is located. But you might have to take the model apart ssomwwhat to get to the screw.

CB2001- I didnt like the joke. Why? Because the smilies are too happy. LOL :lol: :vamp:
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:28 pm

TurbomanKnight wrote: CB2001- I didnt like the joke. Why? Because the smilies are too happy. LOL :lol: :vamp:
LOL. Dude, they're as happy as I am for having a KITT. :)

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:50 pm

Dude, Trust me I know the feeling. When I got my KITT, I couldnt wipe the sm 8) ile off my face for an hour. When I was signing for the package. I couldnt stop smiling or hold the pen properly upright.
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

lordvader
Rookie

Post by lordvader » Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:22 pm

I just received my replacement model today. It's about time. I sent it back over a month and a half ago. This time the model looks perfect. No damage what so ever. I sure hope KARR comes out soon.
"I have no eggs. Perhaps you could direct me to a chicken." - KARR

Hunter
Recruit

Post by Hunter » Tue Feb 08, 2005 6:59 pm

TurbomanKnight wrote:
Hunter wrote:there is one problem i am having with mine,its not a big problem but it gets annoying,the left handisde door is really loose and it just keeps flying open whenever i pickup the model :evil: anyone got any suggestions on how to fix this without defacing the interior?
There should be a screw where the hinge is located. But you might have to take the model apart ssomwwhat to get to the screw.

CB2001- I didnt like the joke. Why? Because the smilies are too happy. LOL :lol: :vamp:
i just unscrewed every single screw on the car but the engine or something was just not letting me take the bottom of the car as it was stuck,so i just gave up and screwed it all back together so i have just jammed bluetack in the door to stop it from flying open,hopefully it will stick there forever :lol:

Tetsu
Recruit

Post by Tetsu » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:09 pm

Hey ther Hunter,
I think I know what the problem is when you mean
i just unscrewed every single screw on the car but the engine or something was just not letting me take the bottom of the car as it was stuck
When you unscrewed all the screws, there should've been 6 all together. What's "stuck" is the steering wheel to the dash. You must gently pull down on the steering wheel to seperate it away from the dash. Then the Chasis and body should come apart no problem. But it looks like you solved your door problem :wink:
Okay bro, take care,
tetsu

Hunter
Recruit

Post by Hunter » Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:54 pm

hmmm,thanks,i may try that out sometime :D

Gonzaloa
Rookie

Post by Gonzaloa » Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:37 pm

JEJEJEJEJEJE....

I bought mine yesterday, I love it. I hate that T-Tops, by the way.

Last week bought the General Lee (there is a way to open the doors? They are locked), and I'm placing them side to side. I love both cars, not perfect but really well done.

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:06 pm

Gonzaloa wrote:JEJEJEJEJEJE....

Last week bought the General Lee (there is a way to open the doors? They are locked), and I'm placing them side to side. I love both cars, not perfect but really well done.
What do you hate about the t-tops? They are accurately reproduced, way better than any KITT rendition made since the early 80's.

The General Lee's doors do not really open in the show, the actors just jump/slide over them to gain access to the interior. Actual race cars also have their doors permanently locked for safety reasons.

PBH
FLAG Assistant

Post by PBH » Wed Feb 09, 2005 10:52 pm

With the excitment of the upcoming Ertl KARR release, maybe we should look to renaming this post "1/18 Die Cast KITT Available and KARR Coming Summer 2005" or something to that effect.

Thoughts?
Phil
On Facebook & MySpace :-)

"One man can make a difference. Like Orville Redenbacher"

Dave Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Dave Knight » Thu Feb 10, 2005 12:53 am

I sent you a PM about the doors, if you have any questions about that model let me know. i have built 3 or 4 of em for a friends but i custom detaied mine (engine wires, chrome foil trim for windows, detailed paint applications on the dash etc)
Michael: "You know, your as much fun as a divorce, which is not a bad idea!"
KITT: "I want custody of ME!"

Knight Rider: The Pilot

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Thu Feb 10, 2005 2:30 am

Dave Knight wrote:i have built 3 or 4 of em for a friends but i custom detaied mine (engine wires, chrome foil trim for windows, detailed paint applications on the dash etc)
What do you mean Dave Knight? The ERTL KITT and 1:18 General Lee are already assembled from the factory. Do you mean an AMT or MPC plastic model kits? I think Gonzaloa bought the diecast ones since this thread is about the diecast versions.

If you mean you have customized and detailed your 1:18 scale diecast models, then a more appropriate word to describe what you do is "customizing". It would be untrue if you say you built them because they are already built.

Hunter
Recruit

Post by Hunter » Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:05 am

HondaSiR wrote:

What do you hate about the t-tops? They are accurately reproduced, way better than any KITT rendition made since the early 80's.
i like the t-tops,but they are not accurate,kitts t-tops are not clear seethrouh like the ones on this model.

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:34 am

Hunter wrote:i like the t-tops,but they are not accurate,kitts t-tops are not clear seethrouh like the ones on this model.
The actual t-tops on the show are smoked and see-through, its just not apparent when looked at from a distance outside the car.

Hunter
Recruit

Post by Hunter » Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:36 am

hmmm,i'm pretty sure i saw swade on the underside of the t-tops once so thats why i dont think they are clear.who knows your probably right.

Hunter
Recruit

Post by Hunter » Thu Feb 10, 2005 8:37 am

anyone wanna post any new pics of their model? i wanna see some!

Gonzaloa
Rookie

Post by Gonzaloa » Thu Feb 10, 2005 9:44 am

I guess I wasn't clear, what I hate about the t-tops is that keeps going loose. I tried to press gently to see if get lock but its didn't work.

About the General Lee, I was talking about the 1:18 model it's true that General Lee's doors do not really open in the show, but I have seen some pictures of this model posted with it's doors opened, and just want to see the interior better.

I'm still thinking about painting the rims or not, same with the start sequence lights on the top of the dash.

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit

Post by KFCreator » Thu Feb 10, 2005 10:09 am

Well, 2 days ago I got a very good early Valentine's Day present from my girlfriend and I'm sure you can all guess what it was---Yep, I FINALLY got my 1:18 KITT! I must say that it looks beautiful from all sides and the detail is incredible for some things. Also, I keep finding out little stuff like the fact that the seats tilt forward and that the steering wheel turns accordingly with the wheels...all very nice touches to features that I was already looking forward to. This is the first diecast 1:18 model I've ever owned so I'm a newbie when it comes to these kinds of models! I know some other people have had problems with their KITT cars and I have to admit that mine also has a few flaws but none too significant that they can't be fixed with a little work. On mine, the tabs of one of the T-tops apparently broke off so it doesn't fasten very well to the top of the car and also the long silver bar that runs lenghtwise underneath the car (I don't know what the proper automotive term is) has somehow come out of one of the end of the engine but I'm thinking it's possible to re-insert it. Other than those, no flaws.

I'm quite happy that I finally have a KITT model with a real working scanner light so nitpicking that it cuts off for a split second when it reaches the end of the bar, the fact that it uses only 5 LEDs and not 8 and that there's no trailing effect seems trivial at this point for me. In the future, I may swap it out for the more realistic 8-LED trailing scanner light but not anytime soon. I definitely am going to pop out the 2 amber foglights and make up some clear replacements when I get a chance because it's bothering the hell out of me. LOL I also may make a print-out of a new, more accurate license plate sticker and I've thought about carpeting the bottom of the interior of the car. And, of course, I'm definitely going to have to paint KITT's voicebox on the dashboard and maybe even paint or put stickers over the TV monitors. The only other thing that I wish was different were the turn signal covers on the bumper but I doubt those could be made easily. I don't want to make ones with tape--if anything I'd score them into the bumper itself but that could be very difficult and I'm afraid of scratching the bumper permanently.

I did have a thought about one thing that could also potentially be added to the model that would really make it kickass--if somehow you could also hook up a small voicechip inside it so that when you press the scanner buttons, it also plays a clip of the scanner sound and maybe even a small clip of phrases from KITT. I figure one might be able to use chips that are implanted into toys or digital microrecorders but how wold you program them with the sound clips? Hmmmm...anyone out there wanna take a crack at that? I would if I had the skills!

Ok, that's it for this post, I'm off to enjoy my model some more! :-)
"One man can make a difference. You can make a difference in someone else's life. You can make a difference in your own life." -- David Hasselhoff

Brian99_1
Volunteer

Post by Brian99_1 » Fri Feb 11, 2005 12:46 pm

Well KITT came on day 6 of the 5 - 7 business shipping days and I've been so busy I couldn't even come here and post.

I wanted to say thanks to Tetsu who suggested the buyer I should try on ebay. verything with the seller went very smoothly. Any concerns I had with the seller from people here on the board are now gone. Maybe I got lucky who knows.

I love the model and have evrn caught myself staring at it a few times. I was even asked to bring it into work so the guys I work with could see it. It even ended up making rounds to all the offices of the managers who all got a huge kick out of it telling me stories about their kids watching it or them watching it. It was a blast but I'm happy KITT is now home sitting on a shelf out of harms way. The only problem I have is how easy the T-tops come off the car other then that I love it, took me 20 some odd years to get a KITT but it was well worth the wait. (looks like I'm going to have to wait an eternity to get a replica :wink:

Brian99_1

PBH
FLAG Assistant

Post by PBH » Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:54 pm

Ha! I took mine to work to. ACtually, I took it along with the Starsky & Hutch Ford Gran Torino. Previously, I brought the 1989 Batmobile & the Ecto-1. People (including management as well) always get a kick out of seeing the cars from "the good ol' days". as far as KITT went, they LOVED the scanner!!!
Phil
On Facebook & MySpace :-)

"One man can make a difference. Like Orville Redenbacher"

Tetsu
Recruit

Post by Tetsu » Fri Feb 11, 2005 4:57 pm

Yo brian99_1,
I'm real glad you received your KITT in perfect shape. I knew the seller wouldn't stiff you. I've already bought display cases from him with no problem.
Now just sit back and enjoy your model.
Tetsu

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:12 pm

Am I the only KITT owner that has no problems with the T-Tops? :roll:
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

Hunter
Recruit

Post by Hunter » Fri Feb 11, 2005 7:26 pm

TurbomanKnight wrote:Am I the only KITT owner that has no problems with the T-Tops? :roll:
yup

Brian99_1
Volunteer

Post by Brian99_1 » Fri Feb 11, 2005 8:37 pm

Yeah The t-top would have been so much better with a way to keep them on the car. They look great they just won't stay put.

Brian99_1

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Fri Feb 11, 2005 10:06 pm

PBH wrote:Ha! I took mine to work to. ACtually, I took it along with the Starsky & Hutch Ford Gran Torino. Previously, I brought the 1989 Batmobile & the Ecto-1. People (including management as well) always get a kick out of seeing the cars from "the good ol' days". as far as KITT went, they LOVED the scanner!!!
I've never taken my ERTL KITT (or any of my other KITT toys) out of the house since acquiring it back in November. I'm afraid if I show it to other people they might drop and ruin it. If that happens, I would probably freak out and beat them to a pulp. :lol: (just kidding, but I'd probably make them pay anyway).

Seriously, when they come to my house for a visit and see my KITT collection, they all gush with praise. True, they marvel at the scanner light but the overall champ in attention getting is still the Talking Kenner KITT. Why? Its still the largest of the bunch, it comes with a fairly accurate Michael Knight doll...and best of all...it talks. Even if my friends are not hardcore KR fans, they still remember the voice of William Daniels and they are amazed at how a 1983 toy can reproduce such sound with such clarity and humor. :wink: