Can you realy call Kitt a computer?

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Wed Mar 05, 2003 8:01 pm

Michael Pajaro wrote:The Knight 2000 is the physical car.

The Knight Industries Two Thousand is the computer integrated into the car. It thinks. It processes data. It speaks.

KITT is the programming or whatever you want to call it that is the personality of the computer.

Mike
My description is slightly different...

The Knight 2000 is the physical car, itself, with all it's physical parts.

The Knight Industries Two Thousand is MOST of the computerized components. It's the control circuits that make up the tool portion of the Knight 2000.

Kitt is the personality. Kitt has his own, independant system that is sustained inside a "Black Box." All of Kitt's core consciousness is contained in there. (Though, his memories obviously couldn't fit and were located throughout the Knight Two Thousand's circuits.) Pull that core from the car and the tool still works...it just doesn't think, anymore. However, even with the core intact, the tool would still accept input from any old electrical impulse. Then again, I guess you could say that about a living body, too. Pull the brain and keep the body on life support, and it could keep on ticking until something major failed.

sofchance
Rookie
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by sofchance » Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:37 am

Well remember the episode "Soul Survivor"? In that show KITT's computers get seperated from the main car and Michael says it's like the car has lost it's "soul."

KITT is a friend, it doesn't matter that he's a machine. After all, humans are also machines, just of a different nature.

Think about Data from Star Trek TNG. There' s several episodes where a similar debate occurs in that show about Data, and I don't think anyone who knows the android would constantly think of him as just a walking computer.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:01 am

They referred to him as such, and he never really was part of the human clique, and at least he was in human form. KITT sure isn't.

KI

SadArticle
Operative

Post by SadArticle » Thu Mar 06, 2003 5:57 am

Michael Pajaro wrote: KITT is the programming or whatever you want to call it that is the personality of the computer. It is what makes the Knight Industries Two Thousand more of a "he" than an "it". You could build a dozen physically identical Knight Industries Two Thousands, but you would only have one "KITT". And I would have to say that KITT is sentient.

Mike
That's an interesting point, because it's what Bonnie brought up in 'Junkyard Dog', after Kitt had been destroyed and Michael wanted to know how long it would take to fix him. Kitt was more than the sum of his parts. I mean, they did create another Kitt, exactly how he had been, but I think the point is that Kitt evolved beyond the parts that Wilton Knight envisaged and Knight Industries created. To use that old 'human' comparison, we're all bodies controlled by brains, but our personalities are different.

Sarah
We'll never get the smell out of the upholstery - Kitt, Knightlines

Katt
Operative

Post by Katt » Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:18 pm

Yes, but more then once, even if it was subtle, Kitt has shown that to a point that he is sentinent, he's self asware, that he has feelings that can be hurt, and has his own opinions on things going on around him. How many computers have that? :? That's just my take anyway, I might be wrong. 8)

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:21 pm

Any true computer can emulate that if they are programmed to. Your PC may not be able to, but any real computer can.

KI

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Mar 06, 2003 1:57 pm

Katt wrote:Yes, but more then once, even if it was subtle, Kitt has shown that to a point that he is sentinent, he's self asware, that he has feelings that can be hurt, and has his own opinions on things going on around him. How many computers have that?
I think this suggests that maybe the original question is flawed. The question shouldn't be "Is KITT a computer?" but rather "Is KITT JUST a computer. KITT has memory and hard drives and processors and everything else a computer has. So clearly he IS a computer. But obviously he is also much more.

We are not "just" human beings. We are parents and doctors and joggers and poker players and everything else that makes us more than ugly bags of mostly water.

Mike
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Thu Mar 06, 2003 2:48 pm

To be honest, I explain a theory in my "Knight Rider" movie script about KITT. I think that he started out just as a computer, but as time progressed, he went from AI to an aritifical lifeform. Yes, he is made of up circuitry, wires and what a microprocessor, but he was just as much human as Michael was.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:17 pm

This probably means nothing but does anyone remember the robot that did things in Rocky 4??

To me, that was just like KITT. just as efficient, it learned and it had it's own opinions.

That was just another example of a great AI even though in this day and age, such things as that do exist even if on a slightly smaller scale.

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LoneKnight
Rookie

Post by LoneKnight » Thu Mar 06, 2003 4:04 pm

com·put·er
: one that computes; specifically : a programmable electronic device that can store, retrieve, and process data
sen·tient
Etymology: Latin sentient-, sentiens, present participle of sentire to perceive, feel
1 : responsive to or conscious of sense impressions
2 : AWARE
3 : finely sensitive in perception or feeling
- sen·tient·ly adverb
life
Etymology: Middle English lif, from Old English lIf; akin to Old English libban to live -- more at LIVE
Date: before 12th century
1 a : the quality that distinguishes a vital and functional being from a dead body b : a principle or force that is considered to underlie the distinctive quality of animate beings -- compare VITALISM 1 c : an organismic state characterized by capacity for metabolism, growth, reaction to stimuli, and reproduction
2 a : the sequence of physical and mental experiences that make up the existence of an individual b : one or more aspects of the process of living <sex life of the frog>
3 : BIOGRAPHY 1
4 : spiritual existence transcending physical death
5 a : the period from birth to death b : a specific phase of earthly existence <adult life> c : the period from an event until death <a judge appointed for life> d : a sentence of imprisonment for the remainder of a convict's life
6 : a way or manner of living
7 : LIVELIHOOD
8 : a vital or living being; specifically : PERSON <many lives were lost in the disaster>
9 : an animating and shaping force or principle
10 : SPIRIT, ANIMATION <there was no life in her dancing>
11 : the form or pattern of something existing in reality <painted from life>
12 : the period of duration, usefulness, or popularity of something <the expected life of flashlight batteries>
13 : the period of existence (as of a subatomic particle) -- compare HALF-LIFE
14 : a property (as resilience or elasticity) of an inanimate substance or object resembling the animate quality of a living being
15 : living beings (as of a particular kind or environment) <forest life>
16 a : human activities b : animate activity and movement <stirrings of life> c : the activities of a given sphere, area, or time <the political life of the country>
17 : one providing interest and vigor <life of the party>
18 : an opportunity for continued viability <gave the patient a new life>
19 capitalized, Christian Science : GOD 1b
20 : something resembling animate life <a grant saved the project's life>

--Taken From Webster's online--

There you have it. Am I missing anything?

We could always call KITT a limited sentient being, but ya know....

Crusing
Recruit

Post by Crusing » Thu Mar 06, 2003 4:18 pm

Michael Pajaro the thing you said about the question being Is Kitt just a computer I agree with this.

So know the question is Is Kitt just a computer? This question brings up a very valid point because besides Kitt being a bunch of wires and a proccessor he is a:
car not realy but intigrated into the car and controls the funtions
computer
has a personality

To sum it up in my opinion he is a super computer in a car that shows ceartian human qualitys.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Mar 06, 2003 6:02 pm

I think the correct termage, (from somebody who is in the field) is an enhanced vehicle that is operated by a superior computer with AI capabilities.

And as for KITT being as human as Michael, that is a load of imagination and the height in fantasy. The day KITT can physically have sex and reproduce (as has been touched at in fan fictions) is the day he even comes close to being as human as Michael. The day that KITT can run on two feet rather than chase down on four wheels, same thing. The day that KITT can show true emotion, rather than emulate it, THEN he would be as close to human, and actually be very close to true AI.

KI

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Thu Mar 06, 2003 7:57 pm

KnightImmortal- I mean metaphorically speaking, not literally! KITT isn't physically human, but he does have a Humane personality that equals that of a human.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Mar 06, 2003 8:05 pm

Metaphorically speaking, he is a child. Michael is a horny teenager.

Good grief, yeah, we know what KITT was supposed to be like, but what the question is aimed at, is what he really is.

KI

Darknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Darknight » Fri Mar 07, 2003 12:29 am

3 levels of Kitt's being.

1. Superficially, for the purposes of the show, Kitt is an almost fully human entity, conceived of by Wilton Knight, and made manifest in car form by his scientists, for the assistance and protection of their field operative.

2. In semi-reality, or the reality-bending make believe universe in which we discuss matters pertaining to KR, KITT was a digital based system which imitated humanity to quite a convincing degree. He learned human behavioral patterns more each day, especially in the first season. He always yearned to be more human, but could never do so. His concept of self was entirely programmed by the Foundation, along with the rest of his personality.

3. In full reality, Kitt as we think of him did not exist. His voice was provided by William Daniels, or "Mr. Feeny," of Boy Meets World. All smoke and mirrors.

DK

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Fri Mar 07, 2003 1:07 am

knightimmortal wrote:And as for KITT being as human as Michael, that is a load of imagination and the height in fantasy. The day KITT can physically have sex and reproduce (as has been touched at in fan fictions) is the day he even comes close to being as human as Michael. The day that KITT can run on two feet rather than chase down on four wheels, same thing. The day that KITT can show true emotion, rather than emulate it, THEN he would be as close to human, and actually be very close to true AI.

KI
I'd hate to see how that paragraph stands up to the description of cyborgs. After all, a cyborg is a being who was originally Human, but has slowly (or quickly, in some fictional cases) become more and more mechanical in being to replace the missing/worn out biological parts. Could a cyborg lose the ability to reproduce and, thus, lose the Human title? What if a cyborg lost their legs and gained wheels? Would they suddenly become a whole new race?

I prefere my thinking on when a machine crosses the line into sentient being over that of physical parts: When it can ask itself 'Why am I doing this?' When the machine can reason out that it is being used as a slave and can rebel with reason, rather than just being told to rebel or malfunction, and how.

Computers can do lots of things that Humans can do. I've heard of complex artificial evolution programs that used pure logic to create incredibly and adaptive block creatures to survive in an electronic, artificial atmosphere. And, logical chess programs that start out by making rookie mistakes, only to start creating moves days later that no Human has ever deduced. And, the only "programming" it received was from a standard Chess manual. I've seen a program that makes a computer try to understand what it is "looking at" and try to place what letter looks like it. And, I've even seen a computer drive a van. But, I doubt that any of them have ever attempted to reason out WHY they were doing such things.

It's late. I'm tired. So, I might have missed the whole point in some way...

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Fri Mar 07, 2003 1:10 am

You answered your own question, jup. Cyborgs are not human. They are Cyborgs. Yes, they would become a whole new race, it has been proven over and over again in Science Fiction. So that paragraph wouldn't have to do any standing.

Otherwise, your remaining reasoning, however long-way-around presented, is fairly right.

KI

SadArticle
Operative

Post by SadArticle » Fri Mar 07, 2003 5:49 am

Darknight wrote:3 levels of Kitt's being.

2. In semi-reality, or the reality-bending make believe universe in which we discuss matters pertaining to KR, KITT was a digital based system which imitated humanity to quite a convincing degree. He learned human behavioral patterns more each day, especially in the first season. He always yearned to be more human, but could never do so. His concept of self was entirely programmed by the Foundation, along with the rest of his personality.

DK
Kitt did not 'yearn' to be human. He wanted to understand humans and human emotions, true, but more as a new level of knowledge than as a stage on the way to becoming 'human' himself. Perhaps he just wanted to get a better understanding of his driver, the better to protect and get along with him. He was quite happy being a 'superior' computer/car (he defended both states at various points on the show).

And whereas his basic programming was created by the Foundation, I think most of Kitt's personality evolved because of his own experiences and life lessons - unfortunately under Michael's tutorage :wink:

Just my take on the show, because I don't have enough technical or computer-based knowledge to enter into the main debate!

Sarah
We'll never get the smell out of the upholstery - Kitt, Knightlines

KOSI
Recruit

Post by KOSI » Fri Mar 07, 2003 6:57 am

jup wrote: I'd hate to see how that paragraph stands up to the description of cyborgs. After all, a cyborg is a being who was originally Human, but has slowly (or quickly, in some fictional cases) become more and more mechanical in being to replace the missing/worn out biological parts.
-My grandmother, who died last year, was more machine than meat by the time she died.

Could a cyborg lose the ability to reproduce and, thus, lose the Human title?
-As soon as I can get it done, I'm having my own ability in that area surgically disabled.

What if a cyborg lost their legs and gained wheels? Would they suddenly become a whole new race?
-I have a cousin who was crippled in a car accident

I prefere my thinking on when a machine crosses the line into sentient being over that of physical parts: When it can ask itself 'Why am I doing this?' When the machine can reason out that it is being used as a slave and can rebel with reason, rather than just being told to rebel or malfunction, and how.
-That would explain a heck of a lot about Windows...

I've heard of complex artificial evolution programs that used pure logic to create incredibly and adaptive block creatures to survive in an electronic, artificial atmosphere.
-Better than I've achieved at the moment. I'm taking a test to graduate high school a year early, because I can't handle the stress and pressure.

Logical chess programs that start out by making rookie mistakes, only to start creating moves days later that no Human has ever deduced. And, the only "programming" it received was from a standard Chess manual.
-Better than I've ever pulled off, I still make rookie mistakes five years after I learned the game

I've even seen a computer drive a van. But, I doubt that any of them have ever attempted to reason out WHY they were doing such things.
-I saw the same episode of Scientific American Frontiers ^_^
I have noticed something myself. Kitt lacks some basic social skills, seems unable to decode body language and sense the feelings of others, and frequently launches into monologues about narrowly defined - and often highly technical - interests. He is very orderly, and has some trouble adapting if his routines are interrupted. Also, it seems the subtle cues that define societal hierarchies are often invisible to him. These
traits are the classic symptoms of Asperger's Syndrome, a condition I am intimately familiar with, because I have it.

KITTFAN2003
Recruit

Post by KITTFAN2003 » Fri Mar 07, 2003 7:05 am

The basics of it is this:

KITT is a programmable, upgradeable Computer. He is really no different than the PC's most of us now own. He has programming and can be upgraded like our computers. The only reason he has a personality is because of the humans around him. He emulates their reactions, especially MK's.

He is programmed to respond only to MK and was built for him.

JMHO,

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri Mar 07, 2003 11:33 am

Good point Sarah... A lot of science fiction stories involve a character on a quest to become more human (the Star Trek franchise loves that theme) but KITT was perfectly comfortable with who and what he was. He certainly wanted to understand humans a bit more, but I think that if you asked him if he wanted to be human he'd say "no thank you".

Mike

Darknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Darknight » Fri Mar 07, 2003 1:20 pm

KITT did not want to be more human, with the fullest level of desire to which he was capable? I defy you to prove that with reason. KITT made it known more than once that his true wishes were not only to know more about humans, but also to be more like the life form after which he was programmed.

DK

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Fri Mar 07, 2003 1:30 pm

KITT showed somewhat of a want to emulate human qualities, if only to fit in, but KITT also showed that he was quite content to be a car in many cases where he would compare himself to other cars, and assure that he was more than a generic vehicle, so in many ways, KITT did show that he was content to be a car, and didn't have the drive to be human like Data did in Star Trek.

KI

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri Mar 07, 2003 1:35 pm

Under the theory that "you can't prove a negative" the burden of proof would be on other people to prove that KITT did yearn to be human. But I'll try to come up with examples of KITT expressing his contement with being a car.

Mike

Dreamchild
Volunteer

Post by Dreamchild » Fri Mar 07, 2003 2:16 pm

The intrinsic problem with any discussion of this nature is that of terms. Does sentient automatically mean human? At what point can sentience claim to be achieved? These are questions that go beyond dictionary definitions, they've been debated for centuries by philosophers and theologians. If true Artificial Intelligence really does arrive then these are questions that will need to be answered - would an AI be covered by human rights laws? The best musing on this I've ever read is Issac Asimov's Bicentennial Man (the novella not the movie).
The day KITT can physically have sex and reproduce (as has been touched at in fan fictions) is the day he even comes close to being as human as Michael.
Personally I find it rather sad that the whole of the human experience could be reduced to reproduction. I feel that humanity encompasses rather more than that.

Calum