Did NBC mess up by revealing the new car?

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

DevonStyles
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Did NBC mess up by revealing the new car?

Post by DevonStyles » Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:00 pm

I was thinking about this and was wondering what if NBC would have released the teasers but at the same time did it in a way that you could not tell what kind vehicle KITT was. It seems a lot of people are upset with the whole mustang and looking back to the original series I don't recall ever having any idea that Kitt would be a trans-am until that actually revealed the car. That was quite a way into the pilot episode. I think they would have been farther ahead to let the car be a mystery until they had to reveal it. :kitt:
edited by the good folks at knightrideronline

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Re: Did NBC mess up by revealing the new car?

Post by JJSoCrazy » Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:51 pm

Well I guess they did that to get the hype up and going. Also to promote for Ford, keep in mind they need all the promotions they can get.

DevonStyles
FLAG Recruit

Post by DevonStyles » Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:49 pm

I agree, but I was thinking more people might be intrigued if they showed a new interior and the car driving by itself (from inside the cabin) etc They might be like New Knight rider movie... must be a new Trans-Am... Is it a Trans-Am? Revealing the new car only excites or irritates people...lol I know us Knight rider nerds will be happy with basically anything Knight rider. I was not excited about Kitt being a mustang but it's slowly growing on me.
edited by the good folks at knightrideronline

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Post by JJSoCrazy » Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:15 pm

I was thinking that if they did just show the Mustang last minute when they show the TV Movie, it may sway the people who don't like Mustang's or disagree with the choice into not watching the it at all. However when we get teased with the previews and such of the Mustang it grows on us and therefore starts too look better and makes us think twice.

KnightLady
Operative

Post by KnightLady » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:48 pm

DevonStyles wrote:I was thinking about this and was wondering what if NBC would have released the teasers but at the same time did it in a way that you could not tell what kind vehicle KITT was. It seems a lot of people are upset with the whole mustang and looking back to the original series I don't recall ever having any idea that Kitt would be a trans-am until that actually revealed the car. That was quite a way into the pilot episode. I think they would have been farther ahead to let the car be a mystery until they had to reveal it. :kitt:
I have to agree with you on this one. I can understand that they are trying to market their product, but at the same time they are also alienating some of the original viewers with the new look vs. old look. I like your idea and it would have been a good marketing plan too. And it would've brought in more viewers to see the new KR if the car hadn't been revealed yet.

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:51 pm

A simple fact I have learned over time is that people need time to get used to a new idea. They did what they should have - revealed the car but not too much of its abilities (yet). This gets the 'shock' period overwith so once the movie airs, people can focus on the story, the characters and the abilities of this new car.

If they had done it the other way, everyone would complain that they were "misled" into thinking the car was a Trans Am and spend so much time hating that fact that they'd ignore anything good about the film even as they watched it.

To draw an analogy from another franchise, when the live action 2007 "Transformers" movie was months away from release, designs of the "reimagined" characters were released, and many people hated them at first. However, as the months wore on and fans got used to seeing the designs (and finally saw them in trailers moving) they got excited because they had time to adjust to the changes. Much the same thing is happening here.
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Thu Jan 24, 2008 6:12 pm

Very true, it was probably a good thing they revealed the car (and I'm sure Ford wanted it too) to get the initial shock of it being a different car done with early so people's feelings may have changed and/or accepted it without as much of a negative response once the movie airs.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar: