Hasslehoff as Michael Knight in 2008 Series (As per NBC.com)

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

PBH
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Hasslehoff as Michael Knight in 2008 Series (As per NBC.com)

Post by PBH » Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:56 pm

Not sure if this is a repost... but...

SOURCE NBC.com (http://www.nbc.com/Movies_Specials_More/)
KNIGHT RIDER - Two Hour Movie Event Sunday, February 17th

Executive Producer David Liman ('The Bourne Identity' Franchise and 'Mr. & Mrs. Smith') and Executive Producer David Bartis ('The O.C' and NBC's 'Heist') have joined together to bring back the 1980's television classic "Knight Rider." The two-hour movie event brings KITT and a talented cast of young and seasoned actors into the 21st century with speed, drama, love and triumph. David Hasselhoff as a special guest star returns as Michael Knight.
Phil
On Facebook & MySpace :-)

"One man can make a difference. Like Orville Redenbacher"

ColeGrad01
Operative

Re: Hasslehoff as Michael Knight in 2008 Series (As per NBC.com)

Post by ColeGrad01 » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:28 pm

The IMDb says David Hasselhoff is in negotiations with coming back as Michael Knight. How many years after Knight Rider 2000 is this new story supposed to take place?

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Wed Dec 26, 2007 3:59 pm

The NBC movie ignores the Knight Rider 2000 timeline.

It takes place more-or-less in "real time". The original series took place in 1982-1986ish; the new movie takes place in 2007-08ish.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Nelson B
Operative

Post by Nelson B » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:18 am

Yes it appears that they are going the superman route.

PBH
FLAG Assistant

Post by PBH » Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:37 am

NOt sure how I feel about this.

I'm more than open-minded to accept an all-new series with new KITT, a Ford & a new driver. I NEVER liked the idea of picking up where the old series left off.

The original series was a classic and should be left alone. Why take the chance of messing it up... again?!?
Phil
On Facebook & MySpace :-)

"One man can make a difference. Like Orville Redenbacher"

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:07 pm

I don't understand. Isn't it being left alone? If they were remaking it I would understand what you mean, like Starsky & Hutch or the Dukes of Hazzard. I think a sequel is the best route they could have taken. They can just reference the old series but not actually infringe on it, or make a mockery of it like those two films did to their respective series'.

Also, I was thrilled that they ignoring KR2000. Ever since I've pined for more Knight Rider, I hoped they would ignore it. No one except the most diehard KR fans even REMEMBER the movie. And most of them remember it distastefully, there's no reason to leave it in. Also, KR should take place in real time, not in some imagined future (and a rather inaccurate one at that).
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:44 pm

cloudkitt wrote:I don't understand. Isn't it being left alone? If they were remaking it I would understand what you mean, like Starsky & Hutch or the Dukes of Hazzard. I think a sequel is the best route they could have taken. They can just reference the old series but not actually infringe on it, or make a mockery of it like those two films did to their respective series'.
Not exactly. I always thought Wilton Knight invented and designed K.I.T.T., and now they're saying it's this guy named Charles Graiman. And then of course they have to explain that Michael Knight had a son all this time. So that means they have to squeeze in some relationship/one night stand he had somewhere along the original series, depending on how they explain it. Then they also have to change the circumstances surrounding Devon's death and K.I.T.T.'s fate if there was no Knight 4000 or Shawn McCormick & co.
cloudkitt wrote:Also, I was thrilled that they ignoring KR2000. Ever since I've pined for more Knight Rider, I hoped they would ignore it. No one except the most diehard KR fans even REMEMBER the movie. And most of them remember it distastefully, there's no reason to leave it in. Also, KR should take place in real time, not in some imagined future (and a rather inaccurate one at that).
Even though many of us didn't like it, I felt Knight Rider 2000 should have counted as continuity for the series. Now that means Devon will have had to have died some other way and K.I.T.T. now has never been installed in the Knight 4000, etc. It all messes up the timeline even more. Even though it was a terrible movie, all they needed to do was throw in a line or two referencing it, which wouldn't have been bad at all. I think the only real reason they're going to try to ignore it is because it doesn't make sense to make a Knight 3000 after the Knight 4000.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:24 pm

Exactly, They'd have to make this car KIST (Knight 6000, since KR2000 seemed averse to having the same acronym twice). Whatever death they come up with for Devon Miles will probably be better than the empty one they gave him in that movie. Furthermore, KITT never being installed in the Knight 4000 is a good thing. Both because of the aforementioned number problem and because FLAG would NEVER have dismantled the Knight 2000. It would just never happen. (i dunno how you dismantle an invincible car anyway). I'd sooner believe they sold the car (without the CPU) to the government than dismantle it.

KR2000 did nothing but screw with the storyline. If they kept it as part of the continuity things would be pretty confusing. Since that movie was supposed to be in the year 2000, and this is in 2008, they'd have to keep all that sci-fi stuff like air guns, cryogenesis of criminals and come up with a reason for why Shawn isn't there, why there is no big red car, and so on. I think it would be much more confusing if they kept it in the storyline.

And like I said, how many non-fans and passing fans even know what KR2000 is?

PaoloM
Recruit

Post by PaoloM » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:30 pm

Not exactly. I always thought Wilton Knight invented and designed K.I.T.T., and now they're saying it's this guy named Charles Graiman.
I never thought that Wilton Knight was a computer scientist or a cybernetic engineer. He had the vision, the idea and the money, but imho KITT was designed and assembled by a team of scientists. They sometimes reappear in the original series when KITT has to be rebuilt.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:33 pm

PaoloM wrote:I never thought that Wilton Knight was a computer scientist or a cybernetic engineer. He had the vision, the idea and the money, but imho KITT was designed and assembled by a team of scientists. They sometimes reappear in the original series when KITT has to be rebuilt.
Yes, three of the original ones appeared in "Junk Yard Dog," but none of them were Charles Graiman. I guess you could say he was one of those dozens of engineers that were in & out of the warehouse completing K.I.T.T. in the Pilot.
cloudkitt wrote:Exactly, They'd have to make this car KIST (Knight 6000, since KR2000 seemed averse to having the same acronym twice). Whatever death they come up with for Devon Miles will probably be better than the empty one they gave him in that movie. Furthermore, KITT never being installed in the Knight 4000 is a good thing. Both because of the aforementioned number problem and because FLAG would NEVER have dismantled the Knight 2000. It would just never happen. (i dunno how you dismantle an invincible car anyway). I'd sooner believe they sold the car (without the CPU) to the government than dismantle it.
All good points. I guess I have difficulty not counting an appearance by Michael, Devon and K.I.T.T. as continuity. It's not like Team Knight Rider and Knight Rider 2010 where it was definitely set in a different universe altogether. But, this movie paid attention to a few details in the original series like Michael's '57 Chevy that he had when he was a teenager. And it was also a logical extrapolation of what would most likely happen to him after "Voo Doo Knight" where it was hinted during Season 4 that he was getting tired and burnt out in "The Scent Of Roses." I liked the idea of a depressed, burnt out and middle-aged man buying the car he once had as a teenager.

I see what you're saying about the acronyms. But then I have to ask: If we were to count the series circuitry in terms of 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000, etc., then why didn't we ever have a Knight 1000? Starting with 2000 suggests that future variations would only use even numbers. So now in the telepic we will have 3000. Which is great, for now. But what happens for the next continuation? A new Knight 4000/K.I.F.T.? Either line of reasoning has its faults. But, I guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it. Also, although most fans didn't like the Knight 4000, its body was what the fourth generation Firebirds came to resemble, and was actually the most logical choice for the next car as in still using a Trans Am-esque body.
cloudkitt wrote:KR2000 did nothing but screw with the storyline. If they kept it as part of the continuity things would be pretty confusing. Since that movie was supposed to be in the year 2000, and this is in 2008, they'd have to keep all that sci-fi stuff like air guns, cryogenesis of criminals and come up with a reason for why Shawn isn't there, why there is no big red car, and so on. I think it would be much more confusing if they kept it in the storyline.

And like I said, how many non-fans and passing fans even know what KR2000 is?
It would probably be confusing for the casual fan just getting into the storyline, but then again, no more than the rest of the entire telepic's story if there's too many references to the original series. If that leads new fans to check out the original series, Universal at least still thought of Knight Rider 2000 as part of the continuity if they included it with the Season 1 DVD set. All the ridiculous sci-fi stuff could be removed in 2008. Remember, in the movie the ultrasound buzzing and cryogenic prisons were experimental new projects and Seatlle was one of the first cities to try it out. The telepic will take place in California, not Seattle. And Maddock makes a point at the end of the film that "putting [Mayor Abby] in there solves nothing...it merely postpones." So they could extrapolate that it was all a failed idea and reverted back to normal prisons. All Maddock and Shawn McCormick need are a one-line reference saying they both left the Foundation.

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:27 am

Lost Knight wrote:All good points. I guess I have difficulty not counting an appearance by Michael, Devon and K.I.T.T. as continuity. It's not like Team Knight Rider and Knight Rider 2010 where it was definitely set in a different universe altogether.
I think I'm misunderstanding your statement above, but TKR was very much a sequel to the original series. It referenced the original series several times and even had KITT and Michael Knight appear in the final episode (albeit not in the way we fans would have preferred).
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:02 pm

I really didn't have a problem with KIFT's looks(except maybe the color), but rather its abilities. Or lack thereof. Sure if the show had progressed it would have acquired more abilities. But for a series pilot the movie didn't really showcase it's abilities. It turned into a boat, it popped tires, and shot people with...blasts of air...or something. But why no jumps, or actually car stunts in general. The most advanced car maneuver they put together was driving the chevy off of a pier. I actually do fear that this new KR won't feature Turbo Boost because NO ONE has mentioned it. Hopefully they'll do well on the stunt front...ski mode, anyone? My personal favorite of KITT's more physical abilities. (Though Turbo Boost is far more useful)

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:52 pm

goldbug wrote:I think I'm misunderstanding your statement above, but TKR was very much a sequel to the original series. It referenced the original series several times and even had KITT and Michael Knight appear in the final episode (albeit not in the way we fans would have preferred).
Let me clarify a little bit: Although Michael and K.I.T.T. did appear in some way, shape, or form (actually, all three) in Team Knight Rider, there were other actors playing their parts. Having David Hasselhoff, Edward Mulhare and William Daniels overrides TKR's continuity because: A) Knight Rider 2000 was a continuation of the original series and it was made in 1991 (TKR wasn't made until 1997); and B) you can't beat role reprisals of the original actors by having different ones take their place in a continuity that's supposed to be before the events of KR2K.

Although KR2K was set in the year 2000 and TKR was set in 1997, it's clear in KR2K that Michael ran an unprofitable bass charter from 1990-2000 while K.I.T.T. was dismantled and placed in moth balls. To change that and suddenly make K.I.T.T. some type of hologram, etc., is silly.

If anything, I see TKR as the show that screwed up the continuity. It should have counted KR2K as part of the timeline. Since it didn't, that created the first discrepancy in the timeline. And of course Knight Rider 2010 was set in some kind of radical apocalyptic future, and didn't feature any references to the original series (to the best of my knowledge since I never saw the movie).

ckeller22
Operative

Post by ckeller22 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:05 pm

They are going to say that Graiman was hiding that it was sorta like what the government does with important people they don't want found. here is the link. http://blog.meevee.com/my_weblog/2007/1 ... -knig.html They also talk to Bruening about his character.

Knight Rider Archive
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight Rider Archive » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:06 am

Lost Knight wrote: Although KR2K was set in the year 2000 and TKR was set in 1997, it's clear in KR2K that Michael ran an unprofitable bass charter from 1990-2000 while K.I.T.T. was dismantled and placed in moth balls. To change that and suddenly make K.I.T.T. some type of hologram, etc., is silly.
T.K.R. ignored Knight Rider 2000, it wasn't trying to be a prequel for it. Two completely separate universes. The New Knight Rider is ignoring T.K.R. and Knight Rider 2000, creating a third universe that continues from the original series. Basically, it looks like this:

Knight Rider > becomes Knight Rider 2000
Knight Rider > becomes Team Knight Rider
Knight Rider > becomes New Knight Rider

None of the spin-offs in italics are related/compatible in a timeline as they are separate universes.
- Paul
- http://www.knightriderarchives.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:48 pm

Hopefully the TKR and KR2000 universes collapsed on themselves.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

knightturbo
Volunteer

Post by knightturbo » Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:55 am

How goes it...been a few years since I last logged in and now there's finally a TV show. Looks like **** to be honest. :x I'm gonna skip it and keep watching the old show. Sorry folks I'd rather they pick up where the old show left off. Why not? Bring back the TA! :kitt2:

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:50 pm

Uhhh what? Did you actually READ anything before posting here? This is a continuation of the old show and to use a car that's 25 years old in the new show? Aside from the problems with GM/Pontiac, that's just illogical.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

knightturbo
Volunteer

Post by knightturbo » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:03 am

Yes...I read the posts, and yes I saw the teaser, which frankly didn't get my motor running. Looks more like it wants to be something Knight rider classic was not. But then it's just a teaser, and I hope they prove me wrong. Really. The other problem i'm having is the boss stang ugly looking KITT wannabee.
to use a car that's 25 years old in the new show
The TA looks just as good as it did back then if not better, and the hundreds of KITT TA clones probably agree. Besides, having an old car in an old show worked just fine for 'Nash Bridges'...so whatchootalkin bout? 8) :kittside:

The real problem is NBC decided to sacrifice the best aspect of the show for a better cash tie in. I call that selling out. But then thats what corporations do best.

rhdaussiekitt
FLAG Recruit

Post by rhdaussiekitt » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:14 am

Knight Rider Archive wrote:
Lost Knight wrote:
T.K.R. ignored Knight Rider 2000, it wasn't trying to be a prequel for it. Two completely separate universes. The New Knight Rider is ignoring T.K.R. and Knight Rider 2000, creating a third universe that continues from the original series. Basically, it looks like this:

Knight Rider > becomes Knight Rider 2000

None of the spin-offs in italics are related/compatible in a timeline as they are separate universes.

"This is getting heavy Doc"
--knightman--

Knight316
Operative

Post by Knight316 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:50 am

we were to count the series circuitry in terms of 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000, etc., then why didn't we ever have a Knight 1000?
Technically, you could say that there was a Knight 1000, or at least that could be explained easily...KARR. Technically KARR came before KITT so he could be considered the Knight 1000 albeit just with a different name., not that it really matters or anything but i just thought i'd throw my two cents into the mix. If the ever end up going with another model number it'll probably be the Knight 10,000.
This is getting heavy Doc!
Presicesely Marty! Just like in BTTF Part 2, the "alternate" 1985 and future from there are not in conjunction with the "real" 1985 that Marty was from. Think of it like that.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:20 pm

Knight316 wrote:Technically, you could say that there was a Knight 1000, or at least that could be explained easily...KARR. Technically KARR came before KITT so he could be considered the Knight 1000 albeit just with a different name., not that it really matters or anything but i just thought i'd throw my two cents into the mix. If the ever end up going with another model number it'll probably be the Knight 10,000.
Only problem with that is K.A.R.R.'s body was a prototype Knight 2000. It would have to be a completely different body to be a Knight 1000, 3000, 4000, and so on. I think K.I.T.T.'s acronym just happens to be named after his body model, the Knight 2000, because he was the final product. Since K.A.R.R. was an experimental prototype, his A.I. was not named after the vehicle we was installed into.
Knight Rider Archive wrote: Knight Rider > becomes Knight Rider 2000
And if the Pilot acknowledges Knight Rider 2000, that cuts it down to just two universes. Three is pushing it. Since Team Knight Rider was the first to ignore what came before it, it should be the one that gets canceled out. And then Knight Rider 2010 would be the easiest to discard, because it had almost nothing to do with any of the previous incarnations. Things would have been a little less messy. This franchise's continuity is starting to become as screwed up as Star Trek's. Thank God there's no time-travel involved in this one, though.

goldbug
FLAG Recruit

Post by goldbug » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:40 pm

I guess being a long time science fiction fan, multiple timelines based on one universe are nothing new to me. For instance, I'm a big "Transformers" fan and that series has well over ten different distinct "universes". Compared to that, KR is a lightweight. :)
"One man can make a difference." - Michael Knight (2008)

TheLandYachtAustin
Stranger

Post by TheLandYachtAustin » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:18 pm

As I understand it, the difference between "Reimagining", "Sequel" and "Next generation" are...

Reimagined: a complete retelling of the original story (usually with lots of changes AKA Battlestar)
Sequel: Pretty much picks up where the previous left off.
Next generation: could be anywhere from years to decades later, but in the same "universe".

From what I've read, it appears this is gonna be more of a "next generation" setup.
Anyone have a different feel for this?

TheLandYachtAustin
Stranger

Post by TheLandYachtAustin » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:28 pm

knightturbo wrote:The TA looks just as good as it did back then if not better, and the hundreds of KITT TA clones probably agree. Besides, having an old car in an old show worked just fine for 'Nash Bridges'...so whatchootalkin bout? 8) :kittside:
It worked in Nash Bridges because Nash had a "thing" for his admittedly classic car...

I have a hard time seeing how they would make that fly with KR. "Yes, this is our high tech gizmo thing built into a classic car"