2 TKR questions

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

nodakskip
Stranger

2 TKR questions

Post by nodakskip » Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:58 am

Hi, my first post here and I was trying for two things.

1. What type of plane was Sky-One on Team Knight Rider?

2. I was looking for the old TKR promo video from this site. I was wanting to get it because I want to put in on the DVD+R set I am making of the TKR episodes.

nodakskip@aol.com

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Knight-Armen » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:05 pm

I think you should move this topic to "The Lounge", were you can discuss topics off Knight Rider...

Cheers
Michael: Kitt what matters to me is who you are not what you look like. Sure we don't have the car so we can't turbo boost so we can't go over 200 miles an hour but it was all icing on the cake anyway

knightdriver
FLAG Assistant

Post by knightdriver » Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:39 pm

except that TKR IS Knight Rider. Not off topic.

Some may not have liked it but it is part of the lineage!
Brian - Knightdriver.com

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:18 pm

except that TKR IS Knight Rider. Not off topic.

Some may not have liked it but it is part of the lineage!
TKR is not Knight Rider! It was an attempt of creating a show SIMILAR to Knight Rider after the show was off production!
The same thing goes for Knight Rider 2010, again not Knight Rider. It had different directors and cast members.

These TV shows are indeed closely related to Knight Rider or part of the lineage as you stated, but they are not Knight Rider and that's different.

And as for the topic, it says: "Discuss all things Knight Rider", under the headline "General Discussion", and I can't see how you consider TKR to be the same as Knight Rider?
Michael: Kitt what matters to me is who you are not what you look like. Sure we don't have the car so we can't turbo boost so we can't go over 200 miles an hour but it was all icing on the cake anyway

nodakskip
Stranger

Post by nodakskip » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:26 pm

And as for the topic, it says: "Discuss all things Knight Rider", under the headline "General Discussion", and I can't see how you consider TKR to be the same as Knight Rider?
Well it had Kitt, mentioned Devon, and a guy intended to be Michael Knight in the series finale. Plus Jenny was said to be Michael 's maybe daughter. Unless it was a form of Knight Rider, how did they not get sued for using those copyrights?

Star Trek: TNG was considered Trek even know Kirk was not the captain.

Knight-Armen
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight-Armen » Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:09 pm

Like I said, it's closely related to Knight Rider, but it's not Knight Rider...

As for your other question, I don't think that it's a matter of getting sued here. Besides, they didn't use the exact same name, instead they added "Team" to "Knight Rider", added some more cars, almost like Power Rangers, some more characters and vóila, Team Knight Rider, a Knight-Rider-wannabe-series!
The same as Knight Rider 2010, also different from Knight Rider...

Heh, I came to think of Grand Theft Auto! Ever noticed that the cars are similar to real cars? Have you ever wondered why they have different names? For instance Dodge Viper is called GTS Beast and it look's completely like a Viper, and yet it isn't because of the name.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:03 pm

Knight Rider in all its forms, accepted or otherwise are allowed to be discussed here - it's all on topic. Just as talking about Hasselhoff in Baywatch would be on topic here.

Off topic would be talking about cupcakes.

The TKR video can be found here:
http://knightri.mediafactured.com/tkr/tkrtape.php

It's the highest I have encoded at the moment.

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:59 am

hmmm cupcakes :lol:

Thanks for the link. Haven't seen the promo before. TKR did show alot of promise and I would have expected it to hit its stride if it were allowed another series....shame really. Oh I think sky one was based on the Nimrod-type carrier planes?

Sarfraz.....off to find cupcakes :P
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

Wizster
FLAG Recruit

Post by Wizster » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:26 pm

Video makes it look quite interesting actually.

One thing it made me think of was: did the vehicles had high-tech interiors and more importantly, did they have ways of showing their interaction with the drivers? What I mean by that is, did they have a voice modulator box and/or scanner-type thing? I only saw a couple of episodes and that was when it was first aired so I can't remember.

rusti_knight
Operative

Post by rusti_knight » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:24 pm

I'm probably wrong, but I believe that SkyOne is a C-5 Galaxy...

Mike, where are you? I've gotten rusty (no pun intended)!

And in some of the later eps you can see bits and pieces of the dashes. They obviously didn't put as much work into them as they did with Kitt, but they did have a few things, like screens set into the dash, somewhere about where the radio would be, if you followed any given driver's line of sight. In some shots there where even buttons. ;)

They did have ways of showing that it was the vehicle talking, such as headlights flickering to the sound of the voice, or an image on their in-dash screen that flashed. There wasn't ever really a 'voice box' like Kitt's.

Some places they even had a version of a scanner (when they weren't using the stunt vehicles to film).
[Rus] What makes you think you've got what it takes to tame me anyway?
[Beast] ~sly naughty grin~ Experienced handling.

--From RP
DevArt: http://rusti-knight.deviantart.com

nodakskip
Stranger

Post by nodakskip » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:08 pm

I have been rewatching a lot since I am putting them on DVDrs. The controls on the cars are all the same. (Dante, Beast, Domino) and the bikes were different but matched. (even know they changed the bikes for a few eps)

The cars had a silver area on the dash that had 4 or 5 large buttons on one side, and a few smaller ones on on the other. The screen in the middle was for video talking and scanning results.

But it mostly had a wire frame version of the car going around in a 360 pattern. When the car talked the image changed to a full color model of the cars.

And they were also hooked up to the SKY One com so they could talk to the team in the meeting room. The cars wire frame/solid image would appear when they were talking to the team in the room on the big video screen.

Kitzira
Operative

Post by Kitzira » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:48 pm

I love how in the promo they never mention that the cars can talk. They mention they have personality.. but nothing beyond that. It was all focused on the human drivers. Which reminds me, I was going to IMDB them to see if they've done anything since then.

I always hated the combo-bike thing though. Looks like something that came outta Power Rangers.

nodakskip
Stranger

Post by nodakskip » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:30 am

Kitzira wrote: I was going to IMDB them to see if they've done anything since then.

I always hated the combo-bike thing though. Looks like something that came outta Power Rangers.
The first bike thing looked kind of gay but yet the one with the new yellow bikes looked ok.

As for them doing anything. The guy who played Trek was on all seasons of Roswell.

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:50 am

rusti_knight wrote:I'm probably wrong, but I believe that SkyOne is a C-5 Galaxy...

Mike, where are you? I've gotten rusty (no pun intended)!

And in some of the later eps you can see bits and pieces of the dashes. They obviously didn't put as much work into them as they did with Kitt, but they did have a few things, like screens set into the dash, somewhere about where the radio would be, if you followed any given driver's line of sight. In some shots there where even buttons. ;)

They did have ways of showing that it was the vehicle talking, such as headlights flickering to the sound of the voice, or an image on their in-dash screen that flashed. There wasn't ever really a 'voice box' like Kitt's.

Some places they even had a version of a scanner (when they weren't using the stunt vehicles to film).
...think we have a winner here. Just did a google picture search for your C5 galaxy:

http://www.rockhamptonaeroclub.org.au/P ... y%20C5.jpg

....hopefully that comes up. Looks exactly the same to me.

Sarfraz

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:08 pm

....except the real C5 Galaxy can't take off vertically. :)

Say what you will about TKR, I thought SkyOne was pretty cool.

rusti_knight
Operative

Post by rusti_knight » Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:14 pm

Michael Pajaro wrote:....except the real C5 Galaxy can't take off vertically. :)

I still think EDI was more fun, probably because he could talk and fly faster, but yes, SkyOne was neat in the vertical take off and landings.

--From RP

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:52 pm

The big star of TKR turned out to be Nia Vardalos, the voice of Domino. She wrote and starred in a little film called "My Big Fat Greek Wedding".

rusti_knight
Operative

Post by rusti_knight » Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:04 pm

Michael Pajaro wrote:The big star of TKR turned out to be Nia Vardalos, the voice of Domino. She wrote and starred in a little film called "My Big Fat Greek Wedding".
While I appreciate that she made her big break with that, I hated that movie. The best part about it was the little old lady attacking the dude at the agency window when he stared in at her.

Brixton Karnes appeared in JAG from time to time, and Kerrigan Mahan (beast's voice, for the uneducated) does tons of voice acting stuff, he's got credits everywhere. Not that the guy is bad looking (but not what I'd have expected): http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ ... /kerri.jpg

Duane Davis was in a couple movies too...just don't ask me which ones.[/img]

--From RP

Kitzira
Operative

Post by Kitzira » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:51 pm

Yea, it looks like most of the voice actors kept doing what they did best.. voice acting.

The one who did Dante's voice has done alot for both Nick and Cartoon Network's shows. I always liked his voice in TKR.

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:10 am

Michael Pajaro wrote:....except the real C5 Galaxy can't take off vertically. :)

......bah I'll get you next time gadget :P

From a technical point, does anyone think that vertical take off on such a large plane is possible? I've heard that a normal airliner cannot be left at full thrust and be stationary for more than 30 secs otherwise it would melt the tarmac. That was taken from a recent ep of top gear were they rolled a Ford mondeo and an old Citreon around the back of a airliner (stationary on full thrust) to show the difference in aerodynamics. So could you imagine the effects turning the engines at 90 degress to face the tarmac? skyone would need its own tarmac resurfacing crew :lol:

Sarfraz