Board Business: Kitt children thread

Archive for discussions from 2002. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

knightshade
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by knightshade » Mon Dec 09, 2002 9:49 pm

I was going to wade into this, but instead I'll keep my comments brief.

I'd like to point out that just because some authors in the fandom have a little more off the wall or goofy view of the show, doesn't mean they aren't serious or that they're mocking it (in the mean spirited way). It didn't sound to me like anyone was belittling a 'serious' story or making it less worth the effort. There is room for both comedy and drama in fanfic. It can be just as hard and time consuming to write a good parody/comedy as it does a 'serious' story. The more different perspectives there are, the more different people can find stories they like.
Last edited by knightshade on Mon Dec 09, 2002 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BabsBunny
Rookie

Post by BabsBunny » Mon Dec 09, 2002 9:54 pm

*shrugs to Beth* Ah, look at it this way. It'll be on again, and in the meantime, it was a depressing movie anyway. Thought the opening song is really pretty..:)

Babs Bunny

Trekie386
Operative

Post by Trekie386 » Mon Dec 09, 2002 9:59 pm

knightimmortal wrote:And we still hate Knightimmortal.

I get it.

Figures.

KI
Could never hate you. Even if I tried, I couldn't. You are one of the nicest people on this board. And easily one of the best authors.

Beth C

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Mon Dec 09, 2002 10:04 pm

Thanks, Beth. That truly means a lot to me. I guess I am just feeling a little kicked and down after this afternoon. I mean, no matter how hard I try, it seems like I always do wrong.

KI

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Mon Dec 09, 2002 10:10 pm

I agree with Mike on this situation with everything he's said.

That pie comment could have been kept to a minimum rather than it being the big joke than it was. And it was big because when I was reading it, it was like it was never ending, lol.

I personally don't see why the thread could have carried on and then have someone else counter TTSnim's joke. At the end of the day, is it just me or is there too much tight atmosphere on this board??

If it wasn't for Scott's counter attack, does anyone else think it would have just passed?

These are all just curious questions.

Now, as for fan fic, the way I see it, the show was never serious in the first place. it never took itself seriously so why should the fan fic's be?

In my *humble* opinion, I believe ppl should make any kind of fan fic based on the show they want to without being attacked or criticised for.

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Mon Dec 09, 2002 10:32 pm

im trying to stay away from the mushroom cloud, but just to interject here:

everyone can continue debating how they think the post was directed. but it doesn't matter how you percieve the message, it doesn't matter what I think the message was meant to be, or how any one should feel about how it was handled. what matters is the feelings of the one person it was directed to. and that person didn't take too kind to it, we should respect their right to feel the way they are feeling. please respect a persons right to feel hurt.

Darknight
FLAG Recruit

What's the big misunderstanding?

Post by Darknight » Mon Dec 09, 2002 10:42 pm

I am having a difficult time figuring out exactly what people are arguing over. The facts are rather simple and clear cut. TT went far beyond the reaches of good taste and manners, and offended KI in no small way. Whether it was a female or male who posted it makes no difference, I should think, in this society. Also, while it's true that there must be left some room for ingenuity in fic, far too often these days writers are going further and further off into some wierd dimension that has little or nothing to do with KR, and more to do with lunacy. If your fic doesn't do that, then don't worry, I'm not talking about you. You know who you are. What KI and I are calling for is simply a standard of decency and respect both at the board and throughout the online KR universe; coherence in posts wouldn't be asking too much, either. Basically, I don't think anyone overreacted to TT, seeing as how I personally have been at times past much more severely reprimanded for posts that needlessly offended, for I was posting in good intention. This, however, was merely rash humour. This brought with it a reason to be offended.

That said, I just wanna say now what I would've said in the original thread about KITT. He wanted to be human, and expressed that desire from time to time. Humans do not spontaneously or in any way have children by themselves, barring cloning, which opens another completely different can of worms. KITT is/was one of a kind, save for KARR, who was also a male. Either way, I see serious problems with KITT ever thinking about or trying to have children.

Darknight

TT Snim
Operative

Post by TT Snim » Mon Dec 09, 2002 10:44 pm

First of all I want to say I am sorry. I came to the board to tell KI that I was only stressed out and acted poorly. But it was closed, so I couldn't. Second of all, Yes... I AM A GIRL! STOP CALLING ME A GUY! *Cough* Sorry, that is a rather touchy spot for me. You see when I go in to chat rooms a lot of slutty girls hit on me and well... I don't like it. I am not Perverted, just crazy.
There is another forum board where that stuff I did.is not only normal, but the board orginizers actualy encourage it. I like to be wild, but I'll be nice. I won't act up any more. SO... If any one else has a problem with me tell me here and now.

*Waves to KI* Sorry, I was just undera bit of stress, I'm keeping an eye on my grandnmas house for her and helping take care of her sick cat because my uncle just died. I'll be nice. Promise.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Mon Dec 09, 2002 10:53 pm

Apology accepted.

But let me give you a little advice in the future: if you are stressed, take a deep breath, and don't try to be the board clown, I have found out in the past, that people just get hurt that way.

And one other thing. I am sorry for thinking that you were male. I was in the wrong on that thought along with a few others. I shouldn't have, because when I first came to the board, everybody thought I was a guy too.

Knightimmortal

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Mon Dec 09, 2002 11:17 pm

Cool, are we all friends again?

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Mon Dec 09, 2002 11:20 pm

Michael Pajaro wrote:Anyone know how to put a genie back in the bottle?

Mike
Write an "I Dream of Jeanie" fan fiction on how to do so?

OK. Bad joke.

What really seems to work around here is just leaving an issue be. (And, stranding it in the "history files", where few will ever see it again.)

Sounds rather cruel, but (more often than not) it seems to work.

As for a reply to the original thread, Knight2000's ideas sounded like a very similar concept I planned on using in my "conceptual" plans on starting a fan fiction version of Season five, where KITT kills a person to defend Michael, then slowly goes insane by the doubt. Amongst KITT's final decision are the construction of a brand new, "flawless" vehicle to be Michael's new partner and the perfect way to self-execute an execution for the crime of murder.

In the end, of course, (right after KITT nearly pulls off his own death sentence) Michael, Bonnie and Devon manage to sway KITT's new found death wish, leaving the Foundation with two KITT's to deal with.

The solution? Start up a second team. Consisting of a brand new semi, KIT3T, RCII and April.

Considering how much time it took me to just write Knight of the KAMO, I'll probably never get back to doing any more fan fictions. (Even though I have had a half-dozen planned for a long time, now. KAMO's sequel, Knights of a New Realm, Even death can't stop a Knight, that KR/Sliders crossover and others.) And, there is the fact that I have other time demanding projects, (Lady Tuts, Treasures of Jose!, Treasure Hunter, Gun Fighter: Emulator...even that KR: The Lone Knight game is still a project I wish to complete, someday.) a steady job and the regular events of life getting in the way. So, at this time, I really don't know where I would find the time.

It sucks, though. It really does.

===

As for another comment on the original thread:

Sorry I didn't get to read through it sooner. I was at another board, talking/brain storming about this bar RPG game that I wish to make (Ironically, a board where brain storming in topics is not only allowed, it's incouraged.) when all this was going down. I was enjoying the light conversation of the thread...Right up to the point of where KI very politely came in and got a typical & playful IRC reaction...then all |-|ell broke loose. (BTW: Perfect timing on closing that bad vibe down, Neil.)

While I can't condone that kind of response, it did seem to be just a light hearted joke...as if the thread were getting high off of a few smuggled beers, or something.

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Mon Dec 09, 2002 11:32 pm

Skav wrote:is it just me or is there too much tight atmosphere on this board??

Skav
No. It's not just you.

I could write up a classic Abbot and Costello sketch. But, it would only be closed down/locked up by moderation following the rules...because it does not talk about Knight Rider.

===

Rule #1: You do not talk about Fight Club.

Rule #2: YOU DO NOT talk about Fight Club.

neps
Site Administrator

okay folks

Post by neps » Mon Dec 09, 2002 11:38 pm

well looks like everything is all cleared up here, please go back to your regularly scheduled board topics.

Janeway
Recruit

Post by Janeway » Tue Dec 10, 2002 7:33 am

Whoa, easy, KI. I still love ya. You do a brill job as moderator.

Ok, I must plead guilty for perhaps 'encouraging' some of the sillyness that came about as a result of this topic. I was actually more trying to encourage the idea of Kitt creating an 'offspring' as an interesting excersize in fanfic...but things did get well out of hand.

Personally, I have never seen parodies and such as insults to the show. I mean, my main fandom is Star Trek, and there are so many parody fics/pictures/tee-shirts/mugs/you name it that you sort of have to get used to the idea of people maybe not taking it as seriously as you yourself do.

And well, you know what they say about 'the sincerest form of flattery'?

You are perfectly entitled to disagree with it, KI, and you were perfectly right when you told us to take the discussion off board. TT Snim was out of line, but everyone makes mistakes, yes?

Hell, I've insulted people on the board before without meaning to.

Maybe we should all take a step back and have a few deep breaths? :)

Janeway

Soul Sista
Rookie

Post by Soul Sista » Tue Dec 10, 2002 8:47 am

I have to agree with Beth here Mike and say why was my name included too?I was only talking about a potential fanfic,and now all of a sudden;you think my mind is warped??? As the Hurricane would say...what's up with that?As for the Ki/Snim issue,I don't have the slightest idea what you all are talking about because I after I posted my comment,I flipped back to the main discussion page to read the other topics.Besides Mike,why in the blue hell would I want to start an argument with KI when she was of two mods that made me feel welcomed here! Sorry for the long email people,but when someone accuses me of being something I'm not,then Houston....we got a problem!

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Dec 10, 2002 10:34 am

Soul Sista wrote:I have to agree with Beth here Mike and say why was my name included too?I was only talking about a potential fanfic,and now all of a sudden;you think my mind is warped???
Again, I do not think you nor Beth nor anyone else in the thread is warped. There was a misunderstanding that Neil closed down the thread because of the subject matter (of KITT having babies.) And I thought he was wrong to do so, because I felt it was perfectly legitimate topic and that there wasn't anything offensive about it.

As it turns out, that's NOT the reason why Neil closed down the thread, so my argument was irrelevant. I THOUGHT (as did others) Neil was saying that TT Snim was perverted for talking about KITT reproducing. IF that was the case, then my argument was that Neil should call everyone else who was encouraging the stories perverted as well. Which is rediculous. But that's not what was really going on.

I do not think anyone is warped.

Mike
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Dec 10, 2002 1:33 pm

Ok, I got a question here, why are we continuing to let this wound fester, and fester, and fester?

We all make mistakes. Mike and a few others didn't read through the thread entirely (sometimes a bit of a deadly mistake) and assumed that Neil did something which he obviously didn't. Explanations entered into system, problem solved.

Mike, in a slightly doomed effort to moderate, opened up this thread to express his opinion. It backfired. He wasn't saying that anybody was warped. Nobody is warped....well, not entirely. I'm cracked. But that is another topic. He was saying that TT Snim had support, and listed who supported them, which only complicated the situation further, but once again, the situation was rectified. (Although all this thread is doing is continuing to rub salt in a wound.)

I don't take to childish humor very well. Deep down, nobody does. They don't like to be the butt of the joke for other's entertainment. But once again, TT Snim apologized, explained the situation, all is well back in the land of Oz.

Now, here is what we do:

1) This one eyed beast is dead. Let's not beat on it anymore.
2) *hands Mike an eggnog and a jolly elf* Merry Christmas, Mike. It was a nice try, I applaud your effort, and I verify that you called nobody anything, and gave out compliments in your best way. I apologize for all the misery I have had to have caused you all year long. Be happy. Be merry.
3) *hands TT Snim the golden fan fic gremlin* Write fan fic. Be free. Use him to the best of your ability, don't feed him after midnight unless you want him gnawing on you during every hour of the day. Merry Xmas.
4) And to all the rest of you, have a drink, (cocoa can be best), calm down, remember the season, and remember, peace and goodwill towards your fellow human...including those of us that breathe oxygen and look like all you Earthlings) Reach out to someone who's friendship has been endangered with you this year, and start anew.
5) We are going to lock down this thread, if it is agreeable to all. (If it's not, well, tough noogies. We've got better things to do than to bitch at each other, it's getting locked anyway.)

Knightimmortal