Machinima = KR fan films?

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

CB2001
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Machinima = KR fan films?

Post by CB2001 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:48 pm

Many of people have taken video games, in the likes of "Unreal Tournament", "Quake II" and "Half-Life" to create a variety of machinima, a film made with the use of a video game. Amongst popular machinima productions happens to be "Red vs. Blue", a sitcom made with the use of "Halo".

This got me thinking about the game "Need for Speed: High Stakes", recalling the game's playback option. And I thought to myself, why can't a fan make a KR fan film with the use of "Need for Speed: High Stakes"? Yes, we don't see the driver inside the car and it is a driving game, but if you were good with "Half-Life" modding and editing, you could create settings for "actors" and intercut them with clips from NFSHS for driving scenes. Though for "Half-Life 2" would be a better bet for the actors scenes (and it allows for use of vehicles in game), but the price is too expensive for my taste and it would be better to just use "Half-Life".

So, what do you think? The idea of using machinima to make a KR fan film, good or bad?

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:54 pm

I love "red vs. blue."

I think this would be a great idea. I believe Jup has some superior programming skills and may be able to assist with something like this (or anyone else here for that mater, don't want to speak for Jup, I know he does stuff like this for a living). Me, I can barely play Halo yet create a clever movie with it :lol:

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:40 pm

Well, for "Red vs. Blue", they had a brief behind the scenes kinda thing n "d'fused", a show on the Fuse music channel. The episode they had on was for music and gaming. It was a very clever setup they have. They turned a closet into a recording booth, they'd record the voice first and then select the multiplayer mode. They play the pre-recorded vocals and then moved the player characters in a way that they look like their talking.

For what I was thinking for a KR fan film, if you have KITT, you can just play a normal round of single player mode in NFSHS and then use the playback feature with the multiple camera mode and record those angles as a few AVI files and then edit them in a normal video editor. The idea of using "Half-Life" is a bit more trickier from what I'm able to tell, like how to set camera triggers and whatnot.

I would like to hear Jup's opinion on this topic.