looking for 1/64 KITT (and KARR)

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

paul e l
Recruit

looking for 1/64 KITT (and KARR)

Post by paul e l » Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:04 am

is there a site where i can order a 1/64 scale of KITT (and KARR) without having a minimum order amount? or at least the minimum less than $50?

the only place i have found such requires my order to be at least $50 for international orders.

corlando52
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

ebay

Post by corlando52 » Fri Nov 05, 2004 6:19 pm

Paul,
Have you tried ebay? I see them all the time and in fact got the Japanese HotWheels KITT (which I think is the best) from there. There's also the Star Car Matchbox one.
If there are none up for auction now, you can have ebay email you when one comes up.

Good luck!

Chris

Knight Girl
Operative

Post by Knight Girl » Fri Nov 05, 2004 8:29 pm

They are on e-bay all the time with a buy me now price around $15 but you can get them cheaper when you bid sometimes. I got my matchbox one for $2.00 last week.

Becky

corlando52
FLAG Recruit

Yes

Post by corlando52 » Sat Nov 06, 2004 3:55 pm

Becky,
Yes, that's the way to do it! There's always great stuff on ebay and if you're smart, you can get a really good bargain.

Chris

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:28 pm

Yes, I agree. Ebay is your friend when it comes to procuring rare and sought after items as well as bargains. I got my huge talking Kenner KITT there at a very good price. Lots of stuff there you wouldn't find at Walmart nowadays. :D

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:36 pm

Yeah but when you get snipped at the last nano-second it takes all the fun right out of it.

Lost a ton of interior parts this way. Unless it's buy it now I don't mess with eBay anymore. Then there is also the people that don't know they can often get stuff cheaper elsewhere. Saw some dude bid over $300 for a pair of average condition tan door panels. They go for $149 new over at Hawk's. It stayed steady at $15, I was high bid, then he showed up and obviously wanted it pretty bad and engaged in a bid war driving the cost up.
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:48 pm

I myself am a sniper. But if a bidding war is imminent, I stay away...I really don't want to drive the price up. As a rule of thumb, I only bid on ebay as a last resort to getting items that aren't available locally. It also helps if you know the exact worth of an item before you bid so that you will know when to stop bidding or what to put in your last second snipe attempt.

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:01 pm

[quote="Army_F_Body"]Yeah but when you get snipped at the last nano-second it takes all the fun right out of it. quote]

Been There. :( I was bidding on the MPC Knight Rider MOdel From the 80's. And this F'N bastard came and placed a bid at the last minute.
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Sat Nov 06, 2004 11:24 pm

TurbomanKnight wrote:Been There. :( I was bidding on the MPC Knight Rider MOdel From the 80's. And this F'N bastard came and placed a bid at the last minute.
When you are bidding for the 1st generation release of the MPC Knight Rider KITT (Corvette promo or Golden Opportunity kit boxes), expect to have heavy competition all the time, specially if it is a sealed kit. Second and third generation releases don't command much money or attention since they are not true to the original molds anymore.

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:09 am

TurbomanKnight wrote:
Army_F_Body wrote:Yeah but when you get snipped at the last nano-second it takes all the fun right out of it. quote]

Been There. :( I was bidding on the MPC Knight Rider MOdel From the 80's. And this F'N bastard came and placed a bid at the last minute.
Tell me about it. I found a complete 92 T/A tan interior for $39.00!!!!

I was high bidder till literally the last second. I aint nocking the snipers, I got a few programs at my disposal now if such a deal ever arrises again. If you can't beat 'em join 'em I guess.

What stung the most is that 92 (actually I think 90-92) Firbirds and T/As have rear shoulder belts, earlier models do not so finding a tan interior with the shoulder belt set up is extremely rare at any price let alone $39.
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Sun Nov 07, 2004 12:43 am

Wow! A complete interior for $39. Damn thats cheap. Can you Pm the names of those programs for me please? Thank You! :D
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Sun Nov 07, 2004 2:08 am

Can't help you with KITT but hlj.com (love the site) has the Hotwheels KARR at a tiny price of $5 a peice. Theres no minimum order value that I'm aware of and shipping is pretty cheap. You could order 2 and just spray paint it black!

http://www.hlj.com/scripts/hljpage.cgi?BAN916656

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

paul e l
Recruit

Post by paul e l » Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:51 am

hmmm, seeing as i'm not having much luck find KITT, that might not be a bad idea.

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:25 am

If you can dismantle the metal body from the plastic underneath, you should end up with a good result. That way, you can remove the windows, wheels and interior before spray painting the body. At $5 a peice, I don't think your going to find it much cheaper. Shipping looks to be around $3-4 (SAL).

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:58 pm

Army_F_Body wrote:Yeah but when you get snipped at the last nano-second it takes all the fun right out of it.

Lost a ton of interior parts this way. Unless it's buy it now I don't mess with eBay anymore. Then there is also the people that don't know they can often get stuff cheaper elsewhere. Saw some dude bid over $300 for a pair of average condition tan door panels. They go for $149 new over at Hawk's. It stayed steady at $15, I was high bid, then he showed up and obviously wanted it pretty bad and engaged in a bid war driving the cost up.
Been throught that too. I've secured a few good parts for Kitt on eBay though including an Owner's manual, service manual, front grille and passenger side tail light. Had good experiences. Though the service manual I had to go with a buy-it-now vender after getting snipped on the last second. :( I was on dial-up then though. Now I got DSL I'm in a better position to snip if I really REALLY want something. :)

I've seen some KITT models get relisted a few times with no bidders. Some are still in sealed boxes! So sometimes you can get a good deal. I still like eBay and go there primarily for car parts and KR collectables. I keep my eyes open for that stuff. :)

I do admit though, some charge a lot of shipping for some items, sometimes double what the bid price came out to be. Though I haven't yet had too much problem with high-priced shipping, I've watched some auctions and well, they get some good on the shipping cost alone. Gotta be on the lookout for that.

corlando52
FLAG Recruit

RARE?

Post by corlando52 » Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:29 pm

Is the original MPC KITT really that rare? I bought a couple of them when they first came out and still have 1 or 2 still sealed. It's the one with the Golden Wheels or something on the box cover. I'm in the middle of making one now, with the scanner (with the tracer), 6 working fog lights, and a working full size voice box to go on the display case. I also have a voice chip hooked up to it. You can see AND hear the WMV of the voicebox and voice chip at:

http://home.att.net/~corlando52/kittvoxsound.wmv

Chris

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Re: RARE?

Post by HondaSiR » Sun Nov 07, 2004 10:34 pm

corlando52 wrote:Is the original MPC KITT really that rare? I bought a couple of them when they first came out and still have 1 or 2 still sealed. It's the one with the Golden Wheels or something on the box cover. I'm in the middle of making one now, with the scanner (with the tracer), 6 working fog lights, and a working full size voice box to go on the display case. I also have a voice chip hooked up to it. You can see AND hear the WMV of the voicebox and voice chip at:

Chris
In my opinion, they are pretty rare since I rarely find them in sealed condition in ebay. You can try to put them up for sale in ebay so you will definitely get their true worth.

corlando52
FLAG Recruit

How much?

Post by corlando52 » Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:02 am

In my opinion, they are pretty rare since I rarely find them in sealed condition in ebay. You can try to put them up for sale in ebay so you will definitely get their true worth.
What do they usually go for? I don't think I want to sell them, but am interested to know how much they are worth.

The one thing I don't like about the original model is that the windshields are tinted. I made a trade with someone in England who bought the new model that has a clear windshield and he wanted tinted, so it worked out great for the both of us.

Chris

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Re: How much?

Post by HondaSiR » Mon Nov 08, 2004 11:56 am

corlando52 wrote:What do they usually go for? I don't think I want to sell them, but am interested to know how much they are worth.
The most expensive "sealed" first generation kit that I've seen sold in ebay reached US$68.00, IIRC. That's a really high amount for a kit that once sold for a mere $4.00 to $7.00 during its early years.

For comparison, the 2002 ERTL reissued KITT is always offered in ebay with prices starting as low as $5.99, and it still doesn't attract buyers.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Re: RARE?

Post by FuzzieDice » Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:59 pm

corlando52 wrote:Is the original MPC KITT really that rare? I bought a couple of them when they first came out and still have 1 or 2 still sealed. It's the one with the Golden Wheels or something on the box cover. I'm in the middle of making one now, with the scanner (with the tracer), 6 working fog lights, and a working full size voice box to go on the display case. I also have a voice chip hooked up to it. You can see AND hear the WMV of the voicebox and voice chip at:

Chris
Cool setup! Where did you get that vox box and voice thing? That is cool stuff. I been wanting to hook something like that up to my PC, actually. :)

corlando52
FLAG Recruit

Built it myself

Post by corlando52 » Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:01 pm

Where did you get that vox box and voice thing?
Thanks for the kind words. I built that myself. I found a schematic online but it had some major flaws in it. I fixed them and reposted the schematic. It works great and you can hook it up to any audio source.

Chris

pewter 02ws6
Operative

Post by pewter 02ws6 » Mon Nov 08, 2004 7:28 pm

chris,how much did the whole set up cost you?

corlando52
FLAG Recruit

Cost

Post by corlando52 » Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:45 pm

chris,how much did the whole set up cost you?
I did it in pieces, but with all those LEDs, the parts for the circuit alone cost over $100. Then there was the plastic (Home Depot) and paint, colored plastic and other stuff, so close probably closer to $150. I would probably buy the one fom Jupiter before I'd do it again...too much really close soldering.
If you want to see the schematic, go here:

http://home.att.net/~corlando52/voiceboxmodified.jpg

Chris