To owners of the "KR: Season 1" (R2) DVD set

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Stringfellow Hawke
Rookie
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

To owners of the "KR: Season 1" (R2) DVD set

Post by Stringfellow Hawke » Tue Oct 26, 2004 1:46 pm

Are the original teaser-trailers featured on the DVD's? I ask this, because I am suspecting that they have been sacrificed, so that the episodes are encoded on SINGLE-LAYER discs.

Not one teaser-trailer is present on any of the 1st Season episodes of "The A-Team" DVD set, even though the previous VHS releases by Universal-Playback contain the original trailers.

Although I'm not too big on the trailers, and although I would prefer single-layer discs over 30-60 second preview segments, I would still like to know whether or not it's just "The A-Team" trailers that are missing, or the "Knight Rider" and if possible, the "Magnum, p.i." ones as well.

Also, are there any packaging errors for the "Knight Rider" set? I don't have it, but I've noticed in HMV, Rebecca Holden is printed amongst the regular cast list, along with Hasselhoff, McPherson and Mulhare, but Holden didn't join the cast until Season 2.

Also, I noticed a few members here at the knightrideronline.com forums said that the 1st Season finale episode, "Short Notice", is printed on the actual disc artwork after "Knight of the Phoenix", which was the original 2-hour 'PILOT' episode, and the season itself ran for 22 episodes. Is this true? And finally, does the KR Region-2 set come with English SDH subtitles?

By the way, the A/V quality is spot-on on "The A-Team" discs - you can tell that the re-mastering and encoding has been done by the REAL professionals over in Los Angeles, and not the crack-heads in a back alley office in Waterloo, plus the menus and packaging are very, very impressive.

Does anyone know what edge enhancement is, and why has it been performed upon the master prints of "The A-Team" and "Knight Rider" episodes? Does it increase sharpness and picture quality, because if it does, it does a great job.

Another "by the way" note: "Miami Vice" fans are getting 5.1 mixed soundtracks for the 1st Season DVD box-set, due for release sometime next year...jammy gits! I just hope the 5.1 mixes are actually *decent*, and not sound as if you're listening to the episodes at the top of a 500 feet shaft, because the 5.1 soundtracks for the original 1978 "Battlestar Galactica" episodes are the worst I have ever heard.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:10 pm

yes, the teasers have been sacrificed, which sucks. the pilot is also on the last disc, for whatever reason. there is no excuse.

i got me the region 1 set so i'm happy, apart from they are double sided discs.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:20 pm

...ditto, got the R1 version from loaded247 at just £30. The 30 sec trailer cutting was the last straw, it simply wasn't necessary.

amazon.co.uk (amongst other) sell multi-regional DVD players pretty cheap so theres no reason not to take the plung.

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

Stringfellow Hawke
Rookie

Post by Stringfellow Hawke » Tue Oct 26, 2004 2:32 pm

Thing is though, if I get a region-free player, and buy the R1 sets, I can't play the R1 discs on my Region-2 players, and my Region-2 portable DVD player.

I don't really want to get the players chipped, because it affects the waranty and guarantee. Any suggestions lads?

Do you think I should return "The A-Team" set back to WHSmiths, or keep it?

I'm not too bothered about the lack of trailers, but I was going to set-up a site where I had the trailers from episodes from the major action/adventure shows of the Eighties, such as "Knight Rider", "The A-Team", "Magnum, p.i.", and hopefully, if Universal release them: "Airwolf" and "The Equalizer".

chrisebourg
Operative

Post by chrisebourg » Tue Oct 26, 2004 4:13 pm

I am here in Canada and I have the Multi layer discs. The trailers were not cut out which makes the episodes seem longer.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:23 pm

you can buy portable multi-region players too.

depends what you would use the most, have a think about it, and weigh up the decision.

also, depending on your player, it can sometimes be remote hacked, meaning you type in a hidden code from your remote and make it multi region that way, without affecting any warranty.

it mostly happens on the cheap players though.

let me know the make and model number of your player and i'll see if i can get a code for you.
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Stringfellow Hawke
Rookie

Post by Stringfellow Hawke » Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:18 am

Hey, thanks Skav:

Try this one:

Goodmans X-Pro (PORTABLE DVD PLAYER)

GDVD84WLCD

But that one was £290, so there might not be a code, but if there is, I'd really appreciate it mate.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Wed Oct 27, 2004 11:12 am

http://www.avforums.com/frame.html?http ... 898&page=2

Third post down. ;)

Only prob is that you need a region 1 disc on hand for this hack...

Stringfellow Hawke
Rookie

Post by Stringfellow Hawke » Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:08 pm

Hey, thanks Skav - now, I gotta buy a Region 1 DVD.

Can you also find for me the hack code for the BUSH DVD Player 2024? If you get it, then I'll be getting the KR Region 1 set straight away!

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Wed Oct 27, 2004 6:55 pm

Stringfellow Hawke
Rookie

Post by Stringfellow Hawke » Thu Oct 28, 2004 12:46 pm

Skav...you're the king! Thanks again mate!