Comments On DVD Bonus Features From The Team Behind Them

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Tony J Case
Recruit

Post by Tony J Case » Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:49 am

Hey Driver - a quick question for you.

Now I know that anything you have to say on the subject is pure speculation and not The Official Word from Universal, or if an NDA prevents you from saying I'll understand. . . .

Lets assume that season 1 just flys off the shelves and Universal green-lights season 2. Assuming that the green light is handed down to you pretty quickly, how long of a turn around would you expect for Season 2 to hit the shelves?

(A second sub-question, which again probably has nothing to do with you, so any comment would again be speculation - how big of a hit does S1 have to be before S2 gets the green light? As much as we love the show, we'd be unrealistic to expect the set to move the number of units that The Matrix and Star Wars would. Would just moderate sales satisify Universal or doom future seasons?)

DVD Driver
Volunteer
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Random speculation

Post by DVD Driver » Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:28 pm

Dear Tony,

Good questions. Like you said, I can only guess, but I'll try to give you some educated guesses.

How long of a turn around would you expect for Season 2 to hit the shelves?

This would depend on when the powers-that-be decide it's a good time for release. Let's work backwards for a guess. The release date is about 5 months after I deliver my bonus features tapes. So that period is a given. It would take me at least a month to gather my materials (interviews, footage, etc) and cut my pieces. That would add up to 6 months after the decision was made. So it could be that soon.

Of coarse, they could see that pre-orders are good and make a decision to do season 2 before the season 1 release.

Leading to...
How big of a hit does S1 have to be before S2 gets the green light?

The Universal folks are smart and wouldn't expect a catalog title to sell like Shrek or Spider-Man. What will make KR S1 a success to them is sales beyond expectations. They're looking more at "Northern Exposure" sales than Seabiscuit sales.

My guess is that you'll get a Season Two set for sure. Very likely, the whole series will end up on DVD. What sales will dictate is the extent of the special features. If Season One sells well, then it'll be worth putting money into bonus programs for season 2.

Fan response will also make a difference. Universal gets a lot of complaints when fans think they do something wrong. I hope they get a very positive fan response with these discs. They listen to these comments.

Personally, I'd be thrilled to work on the discs for KRS2. I love the show, I love the people behind the show and I love the fans.

R.J.1984
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by R.J.1984 » Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:16 am

DVD Driver: Even though I am a relativly new user and all, I want to express my deep heart felt thanks to you for the DVDs that are comming out. I have loved the show ever since I was a kid. Thats why when I had the oportunity to own a 1982 firebird - I desided it was now or never for the chance to own my dream machine. I do have to do a lot of work to restore it and make it look like KITT but it is deffinitly going to be a labour of love. Once again thanks for allowing all us fans the chance to watch Knight Rider on DVD so that we can enjoy it again and again. :D :wink:

Tony J Case
Recruit

Post by Tony J Case » Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:21 pm

And here I would have thought this thread all over the front page with declarations of love! Oh well - allow me to gush.

The set looks damn nice. This is the best part of the hat trick of TV shows from Universal (the other two being Quantul Leap and The A-Team). You guys really have your beans in a row there.

My only wish was that the interview on the third disc was longer. Half an hour was just long enough for me to start getting into it. I havent hit the commentary yet, so I that may yet fill my need. Aside from that, it's a set of goodness. The improved video over the Columbia House discs and the UK discs was worth the price of the set alone.

So pat yourself on the back - good job all around.