Get this. Knight Rider 2010...ACTUALLY predicted something.

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Get this. Knight Rider 2010...ACTUALLY predicted something.

Post by jup » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:37 am

Low and behold, according to this YT video, there is a new kind of technology on the way for data storage and retrieval. ( https://youtu.be/9yRerlN3XJw?t=5m53s ) They are calling it a Memory Crystal. Very small device using a five dimensional approach to store up to 360 (and how lazy can our programmers get with this?) Terra Bytes!

If anyone firmly remembers KR 2010, the car's personality was stored by a crystal type memory device, which was the backup of a Human mind. If I remember, it was a large enough crystal that one could grip their fist around. And, from the size this video showed of the real prototype, there should easily be enough room to backup a whole mind or two in that chunk. (I still like the video opting to credit Superman's Fortress of Solitude and it's crystal warehouse of memories as a better fictional example, though.)

Who would have thought it? And, only five years past the movie's prediction year, too. (Thankfully, we're not all living in a wasted Earth's fallout shelter.)

The video also states that these memory crystals are capable of lasting a really long time. Quoted as surviving a million years without data loss.

So...how many uses would you have for 360 TB on a memory device about the size of your pinky nail? I, for one, never envisioned storing all the blockbuster movie/TV show greats to a device about as big as a MicroSD Card. (For that fact, I never thought of even having 500 Megs go to something so tiny. Though, Knight Rider sure was thinking along those lines.) And, I suppose with that much storage space, AI's with on-board, limitless databases on life and everything about it is suddenly in reach. Why, they could record their whole real world lives in HD and clearly recall any second of it upon request! I suppose the whole world's amount of security cameras could be recorded at once and viewed a hundred thousand years from now for any reason. Erm...the whole YouTube server could be the size of an IPod. Or, an on-line radio station could hold every piece of music...ever recorded and ready for playing on demand. Virtual versions of ourselves can have eternal lives...like in Red Dwarf. I think I just went full circle, here.