1/64 Johnny Lightning '84 Firebird (black) + Sculpty = KITT

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Tannim31
Rookie
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

1/64 Johnny Lightning '84 Firebird (black) + Sculpty = KITT

Post by Tannim31 » Sat Dec 03, 2011 7:44 pm

Evening all, as a lover of the Car KITT, I wanted something to go along with my Radi-can version and Hitari version but I didn't want to pay $60+ for a Charawheels (Though it is a beautiful casting of KITT) I purchased the 1/64 Ertl Knight Rider KITT, but alas, when I received it, I was greatly disappointed (Actually, if I hadn't gotten it MOC and checked the other images of the same product, I would have thought it was a joke...actually I still do...total crap...I mean a sticker for the scanner???) Anyway I digress. I went to walmart to see if I could find anything resembling an '82 - '84 TA or Firebird and Lo and behold Johnny Lightning did not disappoint...right down to the bowling balls hub caps!! I purchased the 3 they had in stock (one for a proto type, one for the final and one to keep MOC) and went to work. I grabbed my Sculpty clay and went to work on the nose part. the only paint I applied was on the nose, interior and cutting a foam rubber dash to resemble the actual one. Here's the final result. PLease forgive the quality of the pic and the dust on the car. Comments welcome :)

I'll post more pics when I get home from work

knightprowl
Operative

Re: 1/64 Johnny Lightning '84 Firebird (black) + Sculpty = K

Post by knightprowl » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:47 pm

nice lil project man, looks good, tbh i think making the interior is good idea, but add the acctual stuff like upper console, lower console and dash itself and the pods and gullwing steering wheels if ya can, and yes the bowling ball hubcaps and wheels like kitt are rly a standard for those cars, for sure the one like michael long had, cant remember what there called but those are one of the standards or optional wheels and hubcaps ya could get i think, idk for sure just guessing here idk *?$# about cars lol, tho i think so, someone confirm this? anyways good job so far cant wait to see more, should do karr as well, and the foglights, what season is this based? 1/2 or 3/4? if 3/4 id do spm too , spm or karr season 3 two toned, whichever man, anyways ttyl peace

Tannim31
Rookie

Post by Tannim31 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:13 am

Ok lets see if I can get all your questions answered in order :)

Tho you cant really see it in the first pic, I did do a dash and gull wing wheel (In the new pics you can see the updates I did) tho I wasn't able to do the pods due to the size of the car. I believe the "Bowling ball" hub caps were standard from '82 to '84 (Can someone confirm this?) with the options for other rims. Funny you should mention KARR lol I took my first failed prototype and turned it in to KARR for the heck of it lol (May as well follow the storyline huh? LOL) The fog lights are more S3-4 I believe, I took cues from my Hitari 1/15 scale KI2K for referance on this project. as far as SPM mode? I'm no where skilled enough to do that on a Matchbox sized car....yet :)

Here are more pics

knightprowl
Operative

Post by knightprowl » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:36 am

oh its nice man good job so far, and well the fog lights where on all seasons, 1 and 2 has 3 and 3 and 4 has 2, they have those covers that i guess open and close with a button so thats why there never seen, just sometimes, i mean its rly crazy, one moment there shown, the next scene there not, lots of mistakes and bugs in old tv shows, and knight rider isnt any diffrent, its kinda funny rly, anyways they look great, good job man, anyways karr is way to dark on the bottom, its more a white color, light grey, not that dark color im seeing tho it maybe shadows since it looks correct on the side of kitt and karr, anyways its good job man but what about the scanner? karr has amber/yellow not red that im seeing, and you should try and do the plates too if ya didnt, that would be cool, eather way ya did good, love it, and yes spm would be hard to do but with enough skill id say ya could do it, idk, anyways ttyl peace

knightprowl
Operative

Post by knightprowl » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:38 am

hey man, ive a request if you think you can do it, well as my topic says which is linked below i want an rc flag semi, but i know i cant afford it, but what im asking is if you can possibly do me one, maybe not rc or anything, and a much smaller scale, if ya cant that fine, just asking is all, anyways let me know ok? and read my topic, let me know what ya think the price would be, anyways ttyl peace

Fletch
Volunteer

Post by Fletch » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:19 am

It's Awesome Tannim31. I am converting a 1/32 scale 82 Firebird into KITT and that scale is a headache so I can imagine how hard it was to work in 1/64 scale. It looks great. I made my bowling ball rim covers with buttons from an old shirt. Lol... And Knightprowl, you do realize that he is working with something the size of a Hot Wheel, right? Keep up the good work!

knightprowl
Operative

Post by knightprowl » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:23 am

yes i know there small lol, anyways he is doing good, keep it up man, anyways ttyl peace