Supporting the series / Supporting the franchise

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Re: Supporting the series / Supporting the franchise

Post by PunkMaister » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:24 pm

I'm going to be brutally honest here my biggest fear is not even the reboot/retooling although I'm concerned over it. My biggest fear is that this is NBC we are talking about and NBC has a horrendous rep when it comes to keeping good Science Fiction shows in the air. When they bought the USA network and the Scifi channel they stripped the USA network of all it's Science fiction programing and instead turned it into the most boring channel in the history of television and slowly but surely have been doing the same with the Scifi channel! By the time they are finished the Scifi channel might as well be renamed the Wrestling and cheap reality shows channel instead. :x . I'm afraid that any moment they will axe the new show no matter how good it may be doing or not just as they've done in the past with so many previous science fiction shows.

That is and remains truly my biggest fear...

Lynda414
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Lynda414 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:41 pm

Yeah, I never really went to NBC for Sci-fi. It's just not their thing. FOX has good Sci-fi, but they are notorious for axing good shows too.

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:33 pm

USA gave us Burn Notice and that more than makes up for any lack of sci fi programming.

The weakness of this show is in the writing. It feels like its being written by horny high schoolers. I'm not expecting writing on the level of Mad Men or Sopranos but they need to do a little more than just action and T&A. For instance the Asian girl does nothing except act horny all the time. Its a complete waste of a character. Bonnie was hot but she actually did things integral to the story. The original series had some good written episodes.

Lynda414
FLAG Assistant

Post by Lynda414 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:55 pm

Mr.Marcus wrote:USA gave us Burn Notice and that more than makes up for any lack of sci fi programming.

The weakness of this show is in the writing. It feels like its being written by horny high schoolers. I'm not expecting writing on the level of Mad Men or Sopranos but they need to do a little more than just action and T&A. For instance the Asian girl does nothing except act horny all the time. Its a complete waste of a character. Bonnie was hot but she actually did things integral to the story. The original series had some good written episodes.
TOS was cheese, but it was good cheese, I'll give it that. I think this new show could use a bit more character developement. Do something with Zoe already, make her not so useless. I honestly keep forgetting why they let her on base.

I figured that was just something that would happen over time though, as they get into the story. Hopefully.

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:22 pm

Lynda414 wrote:
Mr.Marcus wrote:USA gave us Burn Notice and that more than makes up for any lack of sci fi programming.

TOS was cheese, but it was good cheese, I'll give it that. I think this new show could use a bit more character developement. Do something with Zoe already, make her not so useless. I honestly keep forgetting why they let her on base.

I figured that was just something that would happen over time though, as they get into the story. Hopefully.
It had cheesy elements. The hair, 80s fashion with hot pink on everything, music, etc. But watching the series as an adult I'm surprised at how good the episodes were from a storytelling standpoint. It wasn't I, Claudius level writing but the plots were engaging. The new series doesn't match it. Even the "good" episodes of KR08 are lacking something in the narrative. Its Knight Rider, its not meant to be intellectually stimulating which makes me all the more amazed that they managed to F-it up like they are doing. Like I said, it feels like it was written by horny teens. Even the Hoff's afro and leather jacket was balanced by the character development of KITT or the narrative of the episode.

Lynda414
FLAG Assistant

Post by Lynda414 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 8:36 pm

Mr.Marcus wrote:
Lynda414 wrote:

It had cheesy elements. The hair, 80s fashion with hot pink on everything, music, etc. But watching the series as an adult I'm surprised at how good the episodes were from a storytelling standpoint. It wasn't I, Claudius level writing but the plots were engaging. The new series doesn't match it. Even the "good" episodes of KR08 are lacking something in the narrative. Its Knight Rider, its not meant to be intellectually stimulating which makes me all the more amazed that they managed to F-it up like they are doing. Like I said, it feels like it was written by horny teens. Even the Hoff's afro and leather jacket was balanced by the character development of KITT or the narrative of the episode.
All too true. No one was expecting Shakespeare. I think the new show just keeps trying to rush to the meat of the story, without really explaining how they got there. Or using a thin explanation. And then when they do reach the story they are trying to do, they cover it up with all the boobs and flashy stuff. That stuff should enhance the plot, not cover it up.

Consistency is something that I strive for in my own work, so it might be I am more sensitive when I am not seeing it. I am still hopeful that the next season is better. That they focus on their plots a bit more. Even the cheesy ones, because cheese is good. As long as it's fairly consistent cheese.

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Thu Jan 01, 2009 1:38 am

I'm sorry but as good a show as Burn Notice is it could never, ever make up for the horrendous loss of shows like the 4400 and The Dead zone by any stretch of the imagination.

As for the rest I agree that they are wasting some of the characters turning them into peeping toms which is sad because I've the actors that perform them act elsewhwere (Billy used to perform a character in NBSG ) and they are great at it, when given good material to work with. I'm surprised that either of them have not deliberately barfed at their scripted parts in disgust, I know I would.

knightprobe89
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightprobe89 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:57 am

after last nights knight fever episode i am defanitely on board to support kr08, hopefully things get better and more like knight fever when the reboot takes place!
in glen larson we trust.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:33 am

I still think Heroes is to blame for the 4400 getting canned. Especially with Heroes totally ripping off the show and even having the dude who played Kyle Baldwin getting yet another injection to gain powers. :lol: It sucked that the Dead Zone got canceled too, ratings apparently dropped a bit as they moved the show to a new area (which is why they changed the kid who play Johnny's son), killed off one of the main characters. But still no excuse not to give it and the 4400 a proper send off. Would six episodes been too much to ask for? >_<

I still have to watch Knight Fever again, I know it was flawed but watching it the first time I found it enjoyable even with the things that bugged me with the weak writing in parts with things that should have been addressed.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:02 pm

PHOENIXZERO wrote:I still think Heroes is to blame for the 4400 getting canned. Especially with Heroes totally ripping off the show and even having the dude who played Kyle Baldwin getting yet another injection to gain powers. :lol: It sucked that the Dead Zone got canceled too, ratings apparently dropped a bit as they moved the show to a new area (which is why they changed the kid who play Johnny's son), killed off one of the main characters. But still no excuse not to give it and the 4400 a proper send off. Would six episodes been too much to ask for? >_<

I still have to watch Knight Fever again, I know it was flawed but watching it the first time I found it enjoyable even with the things that bugged me with the weak writing in parts with things that should have been addressed.
I do not even watch Heroes as I had made a volunteer ban to all NBC shows after they canceled Surface but had to break that ban when they announced a new Knight Rider show! That was something that as a fan I could simply not pass up! 8) But if it is as you mention then Heroes is indeed nothing but a ripoff and I'm glad I never watched it and never intend too either. And yes as I posted before I'm bitter over how both the 4400 and The Dead Zone got canned without even an afterthough by the PTB at NBC. And finally yes some things needed to be addressed but I personally found it by far one of the most enjoyable episodes to date especially without the constant nauseating voyeurism.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:15 pm

It's refreshing to see a lot of the positive comments, but I'm going to clarify what I mean by "supporting" the show. Or more accurately, what I DON'T mean.

Supporting the new series does not simply mean blindly enjoying it. I think we do ourselves and the show a disfavor if we just say "well it is what it is so we might as well like it". And I think it's a losing battle to try to convince other people that it's a great show if they don't like it. Instead, I think it's important to acknowledge the criticisms of the show head on, and point out what is being done to remedy them. People complained there were too many characters; the cast is being cut in half. People complained about cheesey green-screen effects; they will be improved. People complained about there not being enough turbo boosts and other stunts; we have many more on the way.

At this point, the important message to get out there is that if people watched the new show and didn't like it, they should take another look because it will be a new show in many ways.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant

Post by CJaguar442 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 6:57 am

PunkMaister wrote:
PHOENIXZERO wrote:I still think Heroes is to blame for the 4400 getting canned. Especially with Heroes totally ripping off the show and even having the dude who played Kyle Baldwin getting yet another injection to gain powers. :lol: It sucked that the Dead Zone got canceled too, ratings apparently dropped a bit as they moved the show to a new area (which is why they changed the kid who play Johnny's son), killed off one of the main characters. But still no excuse not to give it and the 4400 a proper send off. Would six episodes been too much to ask for? >_<

I do not even watch Heroes as I had made a volunteer ban to all NBC shows after they canceled Surface but had to break that ban when they announced a new Knight Rider show! That was something that as a fan I could simply not pass up! 8) But if it is as you mention then Heroes is indeed nothing but a ripoff and I'm glad I never watched it and never intend too either. And yes as I posted before I'm bitter over how both the 4400 and The Dead Zone got canned without even an afterthough by the PTB at NBC. And finally yes some things needed to be addressed but I personally found it by far one of the most enjoyable episodes to date especially without the constant nauseating voyeurism.
I was doing a similar ban after crossing jordan had the hightest ratings (8 million viewers ) on wednesday at 8pm and Journeyman got the axe. But I also could not pass up a chance watch knight rider on nbc as well. og dont forget stargate nbc had a hand in that as well. wow isnt it amazing how Six Sigma can destroy good tv.
Re-elect Mayor Goldie wilson, Progress is his middle name!
Save the Clocktower!
Go Boston Red Sox! Go Boston Bruins! Go Boston Celtics!
Go the distance and he will come!

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:51 pm

CJaguar442 wrote:I was doing a similar ban after crossing jordan had the hightest ratings (8 million viewers ) on wednesday at 8pm and Journeyman got the axe. But I also could not pass up a chance watch knight rider on nbc as well. og dont forget stargate nbc had a hand in that as well. wow isnt it amazing how Six Sigma can destroy good tv.
Uggh don't you get me started on how they totally ruined the Stargate franchise by cancelling first SG-1 and now Atlantis and well only to be replaced by an insipid a la Voyager style spinoff. :x .

I will never understand why NBC is so hellbent on forcing everyone to watch nothing but puss! :evil:

I totally support this new show but I trust NBC as far as I can throw them...

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant

Post by CJaguar442 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:14 pm

wow a fellow Gater did you sign the save Stargate Atlantis petition 31,000+ signatures :good:

sorry to go a little off topic :kitt:

you want to know why. its called six sigma
Save the Clocktower!

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:52 pm

CJaguar442 wrote:wow a fellow Gater did you sign the save Stargate Atlantis petition 31,000+ signatures :good:

sorry to go a little off topic :kitt:

you want to know why. its called six sigma
Now that you mention it, yes it does pick my curiosity. :?: And about the petition I will google for it if you can PM the link I'd appreciate it.

CJaguar442
FLAG Assistant

Post by CJaguar442 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:24 am

pm sent dude long live knight rider "one man can make a difference "
Save the Clocktower!