Supporting the series / Supporting the franchise

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Michael Pajaro
Advisor
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Supporting the series / Supporting the franchise

Post by Michael Pajaro » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:36 pm

I know it sounds strange to ask people who don't care for the new show to support it, but I'd like to make a case as to why I feel the success of the NBC series is important to the success of the franchise as a whole.

Pop-culture media likes talking about Knight Rider. Entertainment Weekly, Extra... they mention the show a lot. In recent years, many times the show has been mentioned in connection with Hasselhoff's struggles. But when NBC announced they were bringing the show back, Knight Rider was news on its own merits. And it wasn't just the fluff media. Car magazines, tech sites, news outlets... Knight Rider was a hot topic. Even when the coverage didn't support the new show ("KITT is a Mustang?! No way!") it just went to show how deeply people cared about the franchise. And that's a good thing. As long as Knight Rider is on the air, KITT (old and new) will make headlines.

The feature film should have a similar effect, keeping Knight Rider in the news, but I don't think we should rely on having the movie carry the torch for several reasons:

1) We don't know when the movie will be made. Last year there was a writers strike (it mostly affected TV, but there was some film spill-over as well). There is an actor' strike looming. We're in a terrible economy with studios being forced to cut back all over the place. We have no idea what kind of outside forces could affect the Knight Rider movie.

2) Glen Larson's involvement does not guarantee quality. I think we're all thrilled that Glen Larson is writing the script. But his story will be passed on to a director, and producers, and studio execs, and art directors, and casting directors... there are a dozen ways in which a great script can be ruined.

3) It's a reboot. The Knight Rider movie will be a new "origin" film. The characters may be the same, but if you ever want to see the Hoff or the Trans Am again, it won't be in the movie. Your best chance is with NBC.

When the motion picture starts moving forward we'll rally behind it. But that time isn't here yet. In the here-and-now, we have 2/3 of a season of fresh new Knight Rider episodes coming our way.

I do not understand the mindset of people who actually hope the new show fails, or seem to gloat about its struggles. Why would any fan of Knight Rider hope for failure? Rather than saying "I don't like the new show, I hope it gets cancelled", I would think the better attitude is "I don't like the new show, I hope it improves. And here's what I like and don't like so far."

Let's be clear: the new series is flawed, no question about it. But I absolutely, whole-heartedly believe all the elements are in place for it to be a great successor to the original. It doesn't need a new car, or a new cast, or even new writers. It just needs a new focus. The cast and crew DO hear us and in many cases they agree with our praises and criticisms. There is a several-month lag between the time when an episode is written and when it airs on TV so we won't see changes right away. But if the show gets renewed for season two, they will have plenty of time to address all of our concerns.

Maybe the upcoming reboot will be what the show needs. Maybe not. But I think as fans of the franchise we owe it to ourselves not to give up yet. Having Knight Rider on the air is a Good Thing for all of us.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Re: Supporting the series / Supporting the franchise

Post by Lost Knight » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:21 am

Michael Pajaro wrote:I do not understand the mindset of people who actually hope the new show fails, or seem to gloat about its struggles. Why would any fan of Knight Rider hope for failure? Rather than saying "I don't like the new show, I hope it gets cancelled", I would think the better attitude is "I don't like the new show, I hope it improves. And here's what I like and don't like so far."

Let's be clear: the new series is flawed, no question about it. But I absolutely, whole-heartedly believe all the elements are in place for it to be a great successor to the original. It doesn't need a new car, or a new cast, or even new writers. It just needs a new focus. The cast and crew DO hear us and in many cases they agree with our praises and criticisms. There is a several-month lag between the time when an episode is written and when it airs on TV so we won't see changes right away. But if the show gets renewed for season two, they will have plenty of time to address all of our concerns.

Maybe the upcoming reboot will be what the show needs. Maybe not. But I think as fans of the franchise we owe it to ourselves not to give up yet. Having Knight Rider on the air is a Good Thing for all of us.
Let me just say that I believe the explanation for this is the idea that 'no Knight Rider at all is better than bad Knight Rider.' I do believe that the upcoming retooling will be a positive thing for the show because quite frankly in a lot of ways there isn't another way to go than up.

As a fan, I'm pissed off about a lot of the creative decisions that have gone on thus far. It's not so much the actual creative decisions as it is the reasoning behind them, which is for Gary Scott Thompson & Co. to put their own "stamp on it" (which actually makes things worse even compared to the continuity with the backdoor pilot). This is a critical time to be connecting the two shows and emphasizing that it's an actual sequel and not a vague warped dimension where traces of a timeline that once existed somewhere come through in odd bits and pieces. I believe even just putting Don Peake's musical scoring in the episodes would do wonders (if anything because his compositions made up most of the series after the first 13 episodes), but I digress.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Dec 30, 2008 1:40 am

I think anger is ok, to a point. But I think it's important to know where to focus that anger, and I don't think GST is necessarily the right target. I don't believe the show we've seen so far is the show GST wanted to make. I think Ford and NBC have far more influence than even we realize. This retooling has been in the works almost from the time the very first episode aired, long before they had a lot of fan feedback. They knew the show needed to be reworked long ago.

The timeline conflicts may be annoying to some hardcore fans and that's fine, but for the overall success and appeal of the show to a mass audience I think it's pretty much a non-issue. Much of the target-audience wasn't even born when the original show came out, so I think they'll be a little more forgiving.

My point is this: the show needs change. It IS being changed. So let's hang in there a bit longer.

BlackKitt
Rookie

Post by BlackKitt » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:52 am

I really don't care about the movie version of Knight Rider, I hope it never gets made. They turn tv shows into movies all of the time and 75% of the time the result sucks.

Faithful Car KRO
FLAG Recruit

Post by Faithful Car KRO » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:53 am

To Micheal and the rest of the KRO staff,
You guys have done an amazing job of keeping us informed and intrigued during this hiatus. The interviews, behinf the scenes stuff and you guys just keeping faith in this version is awesome. You guys go out of your way in making this the coolest board to visit.

The funny thing is, is back when the first Knight Rider aired, there wasnt the internet, when people talked about this show it was with friends who liked it. You weren't as straightfoward with expressing our views with people you had never met before, and if you wrote a letter to the execs at the program, there was no real way to know your voices was being heard.....

But this is almost the year 2009. Alot has changed since the very first episode of anything Knight Rider. We have an amazing community here at KRO. Hundreds of people from all over the world post here on a daily basis. Exchanging views and thought and insights and things that that werent available to the people of the early 80s to do.

And the things is, why did Knight Rider do well in the ratings in the 80s? There werent that many stations available to the general public in the 80s. Ratings were a much different thing. I'm pretty sure if the old knight rider debuted on TV right now, it probably would getting bashed by everyone like the new one is now....sorr little drunk, going off on a tangent...

We all need to be there for the new Knight Rider. So what if it's not what you remember. That doesnt mean it''s not your Knight Rider. It just means it's someoneelse's Knight Rider. What you may old as something amazing from the original show in your heart, some little kid might find something amazing about this show in their heart,
I'm sorry, but when it comes down to it, this is a Knight Rider for the kids of this generation.
We had our's, we have those memories and we now have the DVDs to so we can watch them whenever we can.
That's how I feel.

We had our Knight Rider, now it's time to let this new generation have a Knight Rider.
Don't you think that they should have their own version to love.
I mean, look at most of you on the forum, the old knight rider was amazing to You guys cause you watched it as kids and it was amazing cause it was something new and weird and awesome.
It's time for the new generation to love a show that's based from all the cool things that are in their timeframe not our's. It's alittle....no, im sorry but...it's alot selfish to want this to be like the 80s show and not have this generation be apart from cause it doesnt hold up to what they see in different shows in movies.

Follow it for the sheer notion that if the kids from this genention...who love transformers and T&A and all that crap...will see Knight Rider...and KI3T and Mike Knight for what it is...an awesome show about the super amazing talking-transformer car and his awesome driver Michael Knight saving the day, no matter what.

That's all I can say,. Support the show so that Knight Rider will be aroundfor a while, so they can fix what they need to fix. It's just the first season...even the original didnt have that good a first season......
"Michael, I agree with your earlier assessment, back-up plans suck."- KI3T
Put the word out!
WATCH THE SHOW!!!: Wed at 8:00pm on NBC.
Its getting better and gaining ratings, AWESOME!!

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:13 am

Lost Knight brought up a very good point: "No Knight Rider is better than bad Knight Rider". And I agree with him. But I don't think we have "bad Knight Rider" here. We've had some bad episodes, but I think the show still has potential.

Team Knight Rider really wasn't worth saving. Even the best episodes weren't very good and it was misguided from the beginning. But with Knight Rider '08, when it's firing on all cylinders it's very good.

The opening scene of the first episode was absolutely brilliant. Mike and KITT had some great bickering dialog, we had a turbo boost, helicopter chase, missiles, half-naked people... completely over-the-top. Pure Knight Rider. A Hard Day's Knight (Mike gets poisoned) was really well-written. Knight of the Hunter had a great chase sequence through a mine field, and a good storyline (that admittedly fell apart at the end). Anything Billy does is golden. There are so many great pieces here that just need to come together. So that's why I support the show, so that it will have the chance to show us what it can really be.

My_Friend_KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by My_Friend_KITT » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:21 am

The thing for me is how critical people can be of the new show. They do not seem to share the same criticism of the original series. Even now I am beginning to build the criticism for the TOS. I haven't seen it though these eyes before.

You don't have to shut off your mind.(As people have once said) But just enjoy it for what it is and how its written. Nitpicking things doesn't make it more enjoyable.
That is a computer not a sofa.......Knight of the Drones

A firsthand viewer of Knight Rider '08!
And I LOVED it!

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Tue Dec 30, 2008 5:05 am

I agree the show has potential. And I hope the production team are able to re-focus the show, maybe getting away from the sexual tension stuff and focusing on the action adventure side of Kitt and Mike kicking butts and taking names.
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sue
KRO Field Correspondent

Post by Sue » Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:43 am

Its true, as they say a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
Enjoy what you got now while you got it. Being a critic can be a lot of fun (I'll admit it) but by the amount of time we spend each day talking about the show we aren’t fooling anyone… we're fans of the show.
If we ever do get the movie I'm sure we will all fully enjoy complaining about that too. Cause we already know that it won't have the Hoff and it won’t have a Trans Am. (What no Hoff and no Trans Am!.. That's it I'm never seeing it.. oh who am I kidding I'll probably be the first one in line.)
If you've ever lived in NY you know that New Yorkers sure do seem to hate each other. But if ever a situation should arise where they would need to put their minor differences aside and come together they sure can, more than any city I know.
*Group hug* :D
Hello, I am Sue’s Hybrid Automated Droid One-thousand. But you may call me SHADO.

Lynda414
FLAG Assistant

Post by Lynda414 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:35 am

Totally Sue! As a New Yorker I can agree with that. ^_^ *group hug*

While it's hard for me to get behind the show fully, I have said that it and the movie are the only things we are going to get for quite some time. Possibly another twenty years, if ever. And if things don't do well, the chances of them ever even trying to make something better are gone.

Of course it doesn't mean we should just take whatever they slap the Knight Rider name on and toss to us. But we shouldn't flame it till it burns to the ground. Hopefully we'll see that they have been listening to us and change the few minor things that will make the show really enjoyable. A dedicated fanbase can really mke a difference. Hell, look at Firefly.

KRAvengerII
FLAG Recruit

Post by KRAvengerII » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:12 am

Michael Pajaro wrote:Lost Knight brought up a very good point: "No Knight Rider is better than bad Knight Rider". And I agree with him. But I don't think we have "bad Knight Rider" here. We've had some bad episodes, but I think the show still has potential.

Team Knight Rider really wasn't worth saving. Even the best episodes weren't very good and it was misguided from the beginning. But with Knight Rider '08, when it's firing on all cylinders it's very good.

The opening scene of the first episode was absolutely brilliant. Mike and KITT had some great bickering dialog, we had a turbo boost, helicopter chase, missiles, half-naked people... completely over-the-top. Pure Knight Rider. A Hard Day's Knight (Mike gets poisoned) was really well-written. Knight of the Hunter had a great chase sequence through a mine field, and a good storyline (that admittedly fell apart at the end). Anything Billy does is golden. There are so many great pieces here that just need to come together. So that's why I support the show, so that it will have the chance to show us what it can really be.
Okay- I'm a bit curious as to why "Team knight Rider" wasn't worth saving. I'll admit, there were some clunkers, but I thought it got better for the most part.
KITT: I walked right into that one, didn't I?
Michael: More like Turbo Boosted.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:09 am

I think that with anything (not just KR) there are a lot of people out there that unfortunately take great delight in dissing things publicly. There is very little "live and let live" but more like "live the way I tell you to or we'll take it away from you" philosophy. If THEY don't like it, then it shouldn't exist. Period. These types of people don't care if they can just walk away and not watch the show (or not get involved with things they don't like). The fact that they don't like it is cause for them to (sometimes even vehemently and VERY actively) get something to cease to exist entirely so even others can't enjoy it. They figure if THEY aren't enjoying it, neither should anyone else.

I've seen this mindset get more and more prominent throughout the last few years and it's very sad. Like I said, it's not just Knight Rider or even just TV shows but anything, even petty things. And unfortunately, many jump on the bandwagon and some are so influenced by it that they remove the said so-called "undesired" item from existence (whoever has the power to do so, that is).

I think that now days, with such a negative mindset growing, those in favor of anything must work harder to convince those who have control enough to remove the said topic to keep it in place because of the fervent insistence of those who don't like something to insist on taking it away.

Social psychology and engineering come into play here on both sides.

So in summary, we do need to work harder than ever before for the things we like the most in life. And we all should, as Michael said, rally behind the shows we love and movies we want to see. We CAN make a difference. We got Turbo Boost. We got KARR back. We even got Peter Cullen voicing KARR again! And best of all, we HAVE a Knight Rider to watch in the first place! So let's keep supporting the show. Don't give in to the negative people who want to take away things we love just for the power trip they get out of making everyone conform to THEIR standards!

"Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

That means also freedom to enjoy things we love. :)

Lexicon
Operative

Post by Lexicon » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:22 am

KRAvengerII wrote:
Michael Pajaro wrote:Lost Knight brought up a very good point: "No Knight Rider is better than bad Knight Rider". And I agree with him. But I don't think we have "bad Knight Rider" here. We've had some bad episodes, but I think the show still has potential.

Okay- I'm a bit curious as to why "Team knight Rider" wasn't worth saving. I'll admit, there were some clunkers, but I thought it got better for the most part.
It felt more like Knight Rider meets Power Rangers to me and they didn't really connect it to the original in much of a way until the middle/end of the show. Even when they did that, it was seriously cartoonish and it felt forced because they had worked it in to replace other ideas that the executives decided were not to their liking but already in play. They did have some stuff set up for the second season that would have definitely given the fanboys a woody or two but the show was just poorly executed because everyone wasn't on the same page and even the show runners were trying to figure out just what it was they had created and how to bridge the original with their own spin on it.

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:18 pm

I never saw Team Knight Ryder nor care too but I do care about this new show a great deal as it is truly the first true serious attempt at reviving the franchise despite that naysayers and haters say constantly otherwise.
That is why I'm concerned about the mayor recasting, retooling going into the show. I admit changes needed to be made especially concerning the voyeurism aspect of the show. But I believe that Grayman should not be killed and that they should keep Sydney's character as an FBI liason to the soon to be restored FLAG. The cave should not be thrown out and neither should be the C-130 mobile base.

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:43 pm

I was worried that the KR board would divide itself with KR08 but I didn't think it would get to the stage it has where newcomers and regulars alike would take such pleasure out of ridiculing the new series.

I'm sure this is all very familar to fans of Transformers and the new film. Such comments as "Bay raped my childhood" and even such petty issues as Prime being a different kind of truck than before!!! Its all the same, people just don't like when something is not revived exactly as it was 25 years ago. Little do they forget that the same concept will not work now. Show business has moved on since those days and people need to accept that when casting critical comments on revival concepts. KR08 is by no means perfect but I am personally enjoying the series. I am getting really tired to the point of not bothering with yet another thead about KITT needs to be a Camaro, a Trans AM or a flying bird but it proves the point how fixated people are on what makes a show entertaining.

KR08 has every chance of succeeding with the reboot and it is obvious to me that the team are doing their best with the budget they have. This could all improve if the series can survive to season 2. This is the new Knight Rider for the current era, not a bygone sentimental time.

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:07 pm

sarfraz wrote:I was worried that the KR board would divide itself with KR08 but I didn't think it would get to the stage it has where newcomers and regulars alike would take such pleasure out of ridiculing the new series.

I'm sure this is all very familar to fans of Transformers and the new film. Such comments as "Bay raped my childhood" and even such petty issues as Prime being a different kind of truck than before!!! Its all the same, people just don't like when something is not revived exactly as it was 25 years ago. Little do they forget that the same concept will not work now. Show business has moved on since those days and people need to accept that when casting critical comments on revival concepts. KR08 is by no means perfect but I am personally enjoying the series. I am getting really tired to the point of not bothering with yet another thead about KITT needs to be a Camaro, a Trans AM or a flying bird but it proves the point how fixated people are on what makes a show entertaining.

KR08 has every chance of succeeding with the reboot and it is obvious to me that the team are doing their best with the budget they have. This could all improve if the series can survive to season 2. This is the new Knight Rider for the current era, not a bygone sentimental time.

Sarfraz

Amen man! Amen! :good:

Drifty
Rookie

Post by Drifty » Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:07 pm

sarfraz wrote:I was worried that the KR board would divide itself with KR08 but I didn't think it would get to the stage it has where newcomers and regulars alike would take such pleasure out of ridiculing the new series.

Sarfraz

Can't agree more to be honest. I mean whenever I come to this site, I always wonder what some people have started knocking about the new show. Personally, when I heard there was going to be a new KR my first reaction was "this so cool!!! I can't wait". Then I saw the pictures of Justin and Ki3t. I was a little concerned by what I saw....it wasn't the car. I loved the choice of car. The picture I saw was possibly the worst since it made Justin look completely wrong for the part. But then I saw the pilot. Justin wasn't half bad!!! I had high expectations of the pilot & I felt it delivered everything a show needed. Humour, drama, action, heart and a decent storyline. Then the season rolled around and was truly amazed at what I watching. The show had clearly evolved under GST and liked the new twist of the FBI with their finger in the proverbial pie. I can't wait for each episode of the new KR. All this is really summed up in an easy sentence.

Knight Rider is/has never been based on fact, but based on friendship/family and total escapism and a talking car.

We really don't need to hear the show being bashed more often than singing its praises do we?? Media critics - I honestly don't care what you say. What I do care about is the so-called "fans" of KR living in the dreamworld where they think bashing the show constantly is fun.
We really need to sing it praises now more than ever because deep down, we all want a season 2.
This will only happen if we understand that TOS isn't really the bible for the show, just more of "this is what we did in the 80's".

Knight94
Operative

Post by Knight94 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:33 pm

I gotta agree w/ fuzziedice, about those who're crapping all over KR08: They say it sux, so it sux for every1.
Noone gets to see it based on their say-so. Totally unfair. To those who keep hating on KR08: Y'all don't like
it, change the freakin' channel, a'ready. Let those that do like it watch it. Don't be deciding for them that it
has to be axed. You put way too much stock in your own opinion. Ya think it's the ONLY one that counts.
Get over yourselves, for cryin out loud!

HOFFABE
Rookie

Post by HOFFABE » Tue Dec 30, 2008 11:33 pm

TOTALLY AGREED AND I'M BEHIND YOU 110%

KnightINSTINCT
FLAG Recruit

Post by KnightINSTINCT » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:34 am

I have loved Knight Rider for as long as I can remember. Christ, my mom's baby book of me states my first favorite TV show ever was Knight Rider! This is probably why I do my share of criticism. There is so much to bash on both of the original and the new. Never did I really ever complain on the original, and probably because that show was said and done with when I finally got the chance to see every episode when it was broadcasted on the USA network.

So why do I criticize the new Knight Rider? I want it to stay, as I believe most of you feel the same. We got the elements that the original carried, but some things just don't sit well with us and we try to make it as clear as possible, hoping others on these boards feel the same way, hoping those in charge of our TV show will bring that to us. This isn't The Simple Life or another brainless TV show that just sat on the networks annoying America for three or four seasons......or is it?

Micheal Pajora made a good point on the spirit that has pushed Knight Rider back to prime time TV, and I believe it was due to the consistent praise of the original. Should we lay off on the complaints of the new Knight Rider? Nahhh.....afterall, once KR08 gets cancelled, we are all going to get nostalgic on the episodes that were made...probably break them down, and make sense of all the senselessness that only us fans can do. Knight Rider is going to be the show that made us so content to remember for years again, just wait. And I am going to continue to complain on the things worth complaining.....in a fair way, because that is the only way NBC is going to be able to consider keeping this show on.

or......they could ride the publicity train, and just keep renewing it for more seasons, like Fox did with The Simple Life. How in the hell did that show please anybody anyway?

:kitt2:

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:59 am

I don't or agree with or care for some of the choices in the initial episodes and there's plenty to complain about and there probably will be in the transition and retooled episodes as well but I still support the show because I want it to have a chance to get it right and last for several seasons. I don't want another failure that will likely mean the end of Knight Rider for another 10-20 years. It's pretty much the franchises last chance and I don't at all understand how any so called Knight Rider fan can rejoice in the show's potential demise.. Especially those pining for Hasselhoff or the original KITT/William Daniels to return.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Knightfan82
Rookie

Post by Knightfan82 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:22 am

Sarfraz
I agree. Times have changed and what worked then may not/wont work today. All those haters of the new series need to open there minds to new possibilities instead of liveing in the past. Dont get me wrong, I was there when the first episodes of the original series came on TV and I've been a fan ever since, but I'm not going to Flat out Reject this new show just because its different than what I remember. I will support this KR08 until the very end.

"Bay raped my childhood"? They actually said that? Thats the most Ridicules thing I've ever heard.

PunkMaister
FLAG Assistant

Post by PunkMaister » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:31 am

Knightfan82 wrote:

Sarfraz
I agree. Times have changed and what worked then may not/wont work today. All those haters of the new series need to open there minds to new possibilities instead of liveing in the past. Dont get me wrong, I was there when the first episodes of the original series came on TV and I've been a fan ever since, but I'm not going to Flat out Reject this new show just because its different than what I remember. I will support this KR08 until the very end.

"Bay raped my childhood"? They actually said that? Thats the most Ridicules thing I've ever heard.
Yes they did say that and a lot I witnessed it as I participated in their official movie board as the movie was to yet released and lingered there a while afterwards. Most of the naysayers went away after the movie came out.

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:32 am

If I remember correctly, Michael Bay said that he had a hate mob gather outside his office. Funny thing was, it was his old office :lol:

I'm sure the Star trek movie will experience similar levels of fan hatred. Its not hardcore fans, more fundamentalist, ie things have to be done a certain way or no way at all.

Basic point is that unless the viewer of the old series is flexible enough to watch the new concept without deep-rooted ideology then they will never accept or enjoy the new concept. Does this matter to the makers of the show/film? well to a certain degree yes but they won't be dictated to. Michael Bay certainly didn't concern himself with the complaints about the new Transformers films visual style and I don't think GST is losing any sleep over the attack mode KITT. Look at it another way, within the Transformers fandom Hasbro estimate the old-school adult generation make up at most 10% of their sales of toys, so why should they be worried about complaints from them. Similarly, I doubt the KR community makes a significant hit on the viewing figures. Yes it all adds up, but unless "joe average" tunes in then the show is not going to survive. I'm hoping NBC are planning to relaunch their promotion campaign for KR08 and it will bring in the much needed viewers. Whatever ideas we have need to be concentrated on getting viewers who would not normally tune in to KR08. I like the crews word of mouth......

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:09 am

I wonder how folks felt like Batman? I liked one of the movies I saw. Forgot what one. I do remember not liking the idea of what they did with the new Battlestar Galactica but when I got a chance to see it all, it was VERY entertaining! So I could eventually forget Starbuck and Boomer are girls, and that the Centurions look too different and don't even talk, and that other Cylons are human-like (very little machine to them actually anymore). It was the entertainment value that got me hooked.

If people are entertained, just watch and enjoy it. If not, go watch something else.

I can't think of any other favorite shows I used to watch that didn't have a remake/reboot already. I do hope to see the new Star Trek movie. I seen previews and it does look interesting. I think I'll like it if it's entertaining. If not, oh well, there's always the older versions I can watch now and then anyway.

Entertainment should be just that - Entertainment. And everyone has the ability to choose what they want to watch. I think remakes can be rather fun. Like fanfic on film. And believe me, I've read a LOT of fanfic of different shows that are SO far removed from the originals it's incredible. But those fics were quite entertaining and I wouldn't have minded seeing them on TV! Now we have that - seeing remakes (I wouldn't mind calling them fanfic, really) on TV. Sure they are different. They are creative.

That's Entertainment! :)