continuation

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

continuation

Post by pheonix_knight » Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:09 pm

yes i've heard GST and JB say the new show is "a continuation" but which episode are they continuing from?

in straight talk, which episode do the new writers consider to be the end of Michael Knights 'televised' life....?

cajunknight0153
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: continuation

Post by cajunknight0153 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:23 am

i'd have to say, the last episode, "Voodoo Knight"

pheonix_knight
FLAG Assistant

Post by pheonix_knight » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:13 pm

cajunknight0153 wrote:i'd have to say, the last episode, "Voodoo Knight"
That was the last televised episode yes but wasnt "Scent of the Roses" intended to be the last episode before they found out the show was not being recomissioned?

Stuntman Lee
Rookie

Post by Stuntman Lee » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:52 pm

Either way there's still a big 20 year or so gap from the last to the new one.
Love child of The Hoff.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:00 pm

The Scent of Roses seemed like it was meant to be a finale, even when I was little. Then later found out it was meant to be until NBC switched things up. So yeah, I'm on the "Scent of Roses" boat of that being where everything really left off and the episodes after it could just moved, or just swapped with Voodoo Knight..
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

cajunknight0153
Operative

Post by cajunknight0153 » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:17 pm

yea i could see why "Scent of Roses" would be the last episode, but i mean they did make some good episodes after theat, i mean look at the episode where he chases the phantom, played by the same guy that played Freddy Kruger, through Universal Studios backlot. i really liked that one cuz ive been there and done the tour and was like awesome cuz i went on the same route that Michael and KITT took, of course i didnt see that episode till after i did the tour and i havent been back since

KnightLady
Operative

Post by KnightLady » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:21 am

Technically speaking there is a gap between the end of the old KR and the new KR. In david's biography, he said the "Scent of the Roses" was supposed to be the final episode of KR. But, I think due to the powers that be at NBC at the time, it ended up being "Voodoo Knight". I really don't see where they are continuing from an old episode of KR. Not unless somewhere in the new KR they reference an old villian that the original MK had to contend with. Or something with the original KITT, that I would see in reference to a continuation. For the most part, I think they are still starting off new, new ideas, etc.

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Victor Kros » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:06 pm

It's not really a continuation per say, it's more like the "next generation" like with wrestlers you have first generation, second generation, and third generation superstars. Same difference because it's Michael Knight's son, that's the only real connection there is to the original four season series save for some names mentioned and Knight Industries. Their usage of the term "continuation" is that it picks up 20+ years later where the last series ended and this is where things have evolved to now since then.

Another way to look at it is to Imagine having a time capsule and you put everything in there and then 20 years later you open that time capsule and discover things from the past that no longer exist anymore. That's pretty much what they're doing, unearthing the past to understand it in the present. It's not so much a continuation of the series to me it's more like an excavation.

A continuation implies you're not using revisionist history and clearly in some ways they are altering what happened in the past to allow their new vision to "link up" with it. I don't blame them for that, I mean it's really the only way they could move forward with Knight Rider short of rebooting entirely but I do wish they would give more attention to the original team and the visual elements that made the original series so unique.

It's unfair to say they haven't, I am basing that statement on what we've seen thus far and thus far I've yet to be impressed. I feel they've gone to too far of an extreme to consider it a "continuation" at this point. They've thrown out so much of what was original and replaced it with what THEY THINK is "Knight Rider" it's hard not to see them as two entirely different shows. It comes across to me more as a "reboot" then an actual continuation at this point in time.

GST himself said it's like Star Trek: The Original Series and Star Trek the Next Generation. This is the "new mythology" which means it's a new era/time with a new team.

I have to be honest and say I'm not keen on having to call what I consider the only definative Knight Rider "The Original Series" it makes it feel cheapened to refer to it like that but hey that's what it means to live in our modern world today.

From this point on, I'm going to make "kros" stand for Knight Rider Original Series not because I agree with calling it that but because it will always show where "Victor" stands when it comes to what is Knight Rider and what is someone else's direction of what they feel Knight Rider should be.

To me, for better or worse Knight Rider will always be what captivated me as a kid. Not some marketing ploy to sell cars, not some knock off of Transformers, not some "tricked out" aggressive car or an infantile AI. I will always respect and admire what has been etched in the folders of my mind...K.I.T.T. will always be my pal and Michael Knight will always be my hero.

I believe in our modern vision of what is Knight Rider, it's simply what you choose to make of it and everyone will decide for themselves what they consider their vision of what Knight Rider is to them.

To each their own.

=VK=
:dash:
Victor KROS