Unhealthy obsession?!

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

walter h. anderson
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by walter h. anderson » Wed Mar 23, 2005 1:10 pm

My wife, my parents, and my brother always tell me to shut up whenever I say Knight Rider. They say I have a really bad obsession. Well, I say...

I don't think so!!!!!

Let's see...180-some posts on KRO.
several KR photos at home on the computer
2 models
Kenner KITT toys
Season 1 DVD
Complete KR card set
Most of the TKR episodes

And this qualifies me as being obsessive?
If you don't make a difference, you are not the Knight Rider.

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:26 pm

Well here are some clinical definitions if it helps anyone:

"Obsesions are persitant thoughts, ideas, impulses, or images that seem to invade a person's consciousness (Comer, 2001)."

"According to DSM-IV, a diagnosis of obsessive-compulsive disorder may be called for when obsessions or compulsions are severe, perceived by the person as excessive or unreasonable, cause great distress, consume considerable time, or interfere with daily functions (Comer, 2001)."
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:44 am

An obsession only becomes unhealthy if it somehow affects a person's health, social and mental being. If the obsessed person becomes negligent of his duties at work, doesn't eat on the right time (because his money is siphoned by his need to purchase his daily fix)...becomes alienated by the majority of his friends and relatives because of his topics of conversation (he doesn't respect other people's interests)...then there definitely is a problem.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:39 am

HondaSiR wrote:becomes alienated by the majority of his friends and relatives because of his topics of conversation (he doesn't respect other people's interests)...then there definitely is a problem.
Then he should find others what share his interests.

I say this because you can get quickly alienated by friends and family that you THOUGHT were your friends and family by one angry person "talking up" everyone you know to go against you. This can happen and sometimes does.

Or, they would get someone on their side and start picking at the one important thing in someone's life to try and get rid of them. And if the person got rid of that important thing in their life to appease the others, then the others would eventually (or even quickly) pick something ELSE to be upset about, after watching to find out what else is important. Even if it's THEM that's important, they could then start acting nasty and ordering them around and stuff. This is what SOME (not everyone) do to try and get someone out of their life. I've seen this happen a few times too.

If someone doesn't like what I'm saying, and they are NICE about it, I just don't say it around them anymore. If they get nasty, I keep them OUT of my life - I don't care if it's a friend or a family member. I don't need the hassle.

But I can also see where it can be a big problem if it's all people talk about, live, eat, breathe and sleep, and nothing else. SOME religious people I've met in life come to mind vividly here. They don't have jobs. They life off donations. And all they do is Pray pray pray and tell others to do the same. And they do it in PUBLIC at the drop of the hat, over ANYTHING, even if someone lost their car keys! They'd put their hands on you and go "Oh god... help them find their car keys..." and go on a big monolog to their god over the car keys. Time wasted from actually LOOKING for the darn keys! That's the only time I've ever seen people so obsessed. Unfortunately for me, I had seen a TON of these people in life.

Then there are religious people that are cool about it. Like a close friend of mine who goes to church just about every other day, either for service or just to help out. But she never discusses religion to me. She knows I'm not at all religious.

So you can see that there's a big difference between extremist or obsessive and just letting something be a part of your life.

But there's nothing wrong with living your dream. Just realize that some may not like it and may want to stay away. That's their problem. If you can survive ok living your dream then hey, go for it. :)