1/18 Die Cast KITT Coming In December

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by TurbomanKnight » Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:41 pm

Where did you order yours 86Chvs10?
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

86chvs10
FLAG Recruit

Post by 86chvs10 » Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:41 am

got it off ebay.It was never opened.And this guy owns a toy or car collectable shop or something.So i bought it from him. :D

Tetsu
Recruit

polishing your ie cast KITT?

Post by Tetsu » Sun Jan 16, 2005 1:41 pm

Hi guys,
I was wondering how everyone keeps their KITT model in good shape? Check this product out. http://commerce.idmi.net/ecommerce/cata ... E59CE2D7B4
Has anyone ever used it? I was thinking of getting it since it says, "repels dust and fingerprints". Maybe some of you use different products to preserve your models?
Any help would be great!
Thanks again,
Tetsu

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:46 pm

I use an AutoArt display case.

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Re: polishing your ie cast KITT?

Post by HondaSiR » Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:33 am

Tetsu wrote:Hi guys,
I was wondering how everyone keeps their KITT model in good shape? Check this product out. http://commerce.idmi.net/ecommerce/cata ... E59CE2D7B4
Has anyone ever used it? I was thinking of getting it since it says, "repels dust and fingerprints". Maybe some of you use different products to preserve your models?
Any help would be great!
Thanks again,
Tetsu
If you keep your model outside of its display case and handle it with your hands often, then go for it. At $6.00, its worth a shot, specially if you have many more diecasts in your collection. I keep my KITT in its case, and I keep the case inside a closet, free from dust...which is good enough for me.

Tetsu
Recruit

Post by Tetsu » Tue Jan 18, 2005 11:43 pm

Hey Guys,
Thanks so much for the replies. I will buy it and also buy a case to protect it in.
Thanks again,
Tetsu

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:26 am

What part of New York do you live in Tetsu? i know of two in Queens And Brooklyn.
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

Tetsu
Recruit

Post by Tetsu » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:19 pm

Hi there Turbomanknight,
I live in Westchester actually. What did you mean when you say you know of Two in Queens & Brooklyn?
Talk to you soon,
Tetsu

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Wed Jan 19, 2005 9:50 pm

Damn! :x Left a part out. I meant I know of two hobby shops in Queens and Brooklyn. But i think theres a few in Westchester. You can get those model cases for cheap. Im about to go pick one up next week. later :D
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

Tetsu
Recruit

Post by Tetsu » Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:15 pm

Hey Turbomanknight,
Oh in that case SWEET ASS! Thanks for the info man. I'm lalso ooking into some variety of cases IE: mirror back, standard, rotating etc. So far I think I'll be going for the mirror back, afterall my KR models deserves the best display.
Oh yes, by the way, for all of you who've bouht the AOSHIMA K.I.T.T. or K.A.R.R. How did you guys manage to scrub off the "good year" lettering on the tires?? I figured I use some kind of chemical to remove the letters rather than flipping the tires inside out. Should I stay away from using certain types of products in doing so? I wouldn't want the tires to crack.
Any info would be appreciated greatly!
Thanks again guys,
Tetsu

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:50 am

Just scratch the tire letterings with your fingernail or a small sharp screwdriver tip. You may use a diluted amount of brush cleaner but I prefer the dry approach, its much safer on the rubber.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:03 am

I used nail polish remover and a Q-tip to remove the tire lettering. I also had plenty of water handy to wash off any excess remover immediately after I applied it. There's been talk about chemicals cracking the rubber and such but all I can say is that my tires are fine. Maybe it's supposed to take a while to eat away at the rubber but I did do a good job of washing the tires thoroughly. I'm not too sure about doing any scraping only because I wouldn't want to leave scuff marks on the tires. You could try to use your nail but that will feel like years; I attempted to do that and couldn't get anything to come off. To each their own. I made sure to use a cotton Q-tip because it was non-abrasive.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

paulcocu
Volunteer

Post by paulcocu » Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:58 am

Hi guys, i´m new in the forum, i´m from Spain. I´ve just finished my Kitt to Karr conversion. I´ve made some modifications like the fogs and some adds to the dashboard. I ´ve changed the red leds into the correct amber ones and i´ve tapestry the interior too. Greetings from Spain.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:24 pm

Wow, paulcocu, nice job! I really like the modifications you did to the dashboard. I see you got rid of the "aluminum foil" look that the monitors had and added some paint/decal to the voice modulator and sequence lights just above it. I also noticed the licence plate on your K.A.R.R. model looks even more accurate than the standard decal that comes with the Aoshima model. Actually, it's the most accurate looking plate decal I've seen yet! (Rivaling only the Kenner Voice Car's.) May I ask how you made it? Also, I should inform you that amber is NOT the correct color for KARR's scanner as it is yellow. If you're going for accuracy, you might be interested in again replacing the amber diodes with yellow ones. And by the way, welcome to the board!

paulcocu
Volunteer

Post by paulcocu » Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:50 pm

Thanks Lost Knight. I made the license plate by retouching and printing one photo of the original.

My scanner is based on this one:
I have the yellows too but they looked very clear...
Paul.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:38 pm

Most, if not all K.A.R.R. replicas use the amber colored scanner for some reason but they are all inaccurate. As for the diodes looking clear, maybe a yellow lens over the scanner could help? KITTfan improvised and used a red lens from 3D glasses and used it for his scanner. Just a thought.

paulcocu
Volunteer

Post by paulcocu » Thu Jan 20, 2005 2:22 pm

i´ve thought of paint the scanner with tamiya yellow transparent acrylic paint, maybe the result will be more accurate...

Tetsu
Recruit

Post by Tetsu » Thu Jan 20, 2005 5:57 pm

Hi Guys,
HondaSiR & Lost knight, thanks so much for the tips. I will first try the scratching method, then if not successful I will try the nail polish remover. I actually used paint cleaner to clean one of the rubber tires on a transformer once and about a few hours later, they began to crack.
Paulcocu, welcome to the forum bro! Very nice conversion. I love the KARR dashboard. Can I ask how you created the fog lights for KARR? They look amazing!
As for the tamiya clear Yellow paint, I think it will improve the "clear" problem a little bit. But instead of the clear yellow, I might try a flat yellow. On my KITT, I airbrushed the scanner window with tamiya flat red. It killed the whole brightness of the LED lights and made it more full in color. But why not give the clear yellow a try, if you don't like it, you can just rub it off with alcohol. :wink: Thanks for showing us you custom KARR. It really is amazing!
Tetsu

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Thu Jan 20, 2005 7:31 pm

have to say this, that's a great conversion!!!! for a sec, i thought it was the real KARR aoshima factory car...that's how good the job is.

good stuff!!!! :)
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:28 pm

I didn't even notice the fog lights! Wow. Also I noticed you put tan cloth for the trunk. How the hell were you able to make the two spaces to hold the fog lights?? Not that your lights look bad at all, but K.A.R.R. is only supposed to have 4 fog lights and indents for where the turn signal blackouts used to be (aka 3rd season nose). That's just if you want to keep going with your mods. If not, they look great as is!

sheltonw3
FLAG Recruit

now thats cool!!!!...........

Post by sheltonw3 » Fri Jan 21, 2005 2:19 am

I plan on doing the same to my second karr when I get it!...the first season karr has the yellow vox and the slightly darker red scanner and the interior was completly repainted and I popped out all the fog lights on both kitt and karr ,they just looked a bit unoriginal to me!Image
"Really?....some people are simply just too much!"

paulcocu
Volunteer

Post by paulcocu » Fri Jan 21, 2005 1:02 pm

The fogs are scratch-made from an old cd-box, it was an arduous work...
I cut them with an xacto knife and gave the correct shape with a lot of sanding. Then i airbrushed flat black the fog holes. With the correct shape, the fogs fit correctly, no glue needed. I sanded the support of the fogs to make it plane and airbrushed silver. The result is very realistic, i think that the original fogs are too big. It´s more easy to leave six fogs than four, it´s less accurate but it give Karr a more agressive look.

P.D:Sorry for my english, it´s a little bit rusty....

Red Rider
Recruit

Post by Red Rider » Fri Jan 21, 2005 3:35 pm

I've got mine too... In a word : beautiful...

kitt-x
Rookie

Post by kitt-x » Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:24 pm

Hey guys...I did some upgrades to my car too. I replaced the scanner with a unit from that KnightScan company in the UK. I hooked it up so it runs off a 9volt battery in the trunk.
I used the existing on/off switch for the scanner and hooked up the little "display" button so that when you press it, the scanner does the "outside-in" scan from Soul Survivor.

I also used a super fine artist pen to fill in the fins on the rims. I think it gives the rims a more realistc look then the all silver look it comes with.

Anyway, here are some pics and a video clip...

video

http://www.kittxproject.com/images/kittScan.wmv

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Fri Jan 21, 2005 9:59 pm

All it needs is the ram air hood scoop and a kitt-x plate. eh Mike? :lol:
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
700R4
2.77 posi