In my hand...

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

KITTfan
FLAG Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by KITTfan » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:39 am

Glad to hear it's only 2 songs that's been altered. Now I just can't wait the scandinavian version with finnish subtitles :D

-KITTfan-

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:44 am

I don't know what the deal is between music videos and actual songs but on the new Batman Special Edition DVD's, they had at least 2 Prince music videos and these were just for special features.

Are Universal telling me that they couldn't afford to pay Prince for the songs in the episodes?

The songs themselves feature for about a minute, they are not even the full version of the songs and are not generally the focus of the scene.

I still think Universal are being a bit cheap here.

Either that or Prince has a very flawed sense of logic.

knightrider#1fan
Recruit

Post by knightrider#1fan » Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:22 am

here are a few sites where i know you can preorder season 4 from fye.com, walmart.com, and amazon.com. I can't wait to get my season 3 and i can't wait until season 4 comes out in april!!! :D

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:33 am

I'm probably the only one thinking of this but what happened to the cover?

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:52 am

Cover?

Song cover? If you mean that, I thought they were original Prince songs.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:16 am

I might be off on this, but I remember Prince getting very religious recently, and being a pain about clearances. I remember reading about Kevin Smith (the director) who was filming a Documentary on him, and basically Prince is crazy. It could be that Knight Rider doesn't fit in with his new views of where his music is allowed. But what about Batman? Perhaps they had better clearances then, so they didn't need to ask him for permission when DVD came. LaserDiscs were around back then, so maybe they worded the contract just right to allow all future clearances.

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:40 am

Have you had chance to get your review ready nepsbot?

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:43 pm

I should have it finished tonight.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:01 pm

Wasn't this supposed to be the cover for the original season 3 box set?

http://www.mcnally95.com/graphics/covers2/5333_s.jpg

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:10 pm

Um...looks the same to me. :?

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:22 pm

neps wrote:I might be off on this, but I remember Prince getting very religious recently, and being a pain about clearances. I remember reading about Kevin Smith (the director) who was filming a Documentary on him, and basically Prince is crazy. It could be that Knight Rider doesn't fit in with his new views of where his music is allowed. But what about Batman? Perhaps they had better clearances then, so they didn't need to ask him for permission when DVD came. LaserDiscs were around back then, so maybe they worded the contract just right to allow all future clearances.
Maybe it just doenst fit in with his ego. :?
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Thu Jan 26, 2006 10:36 pm

Skav wrote:Um...looks the same to me. :?
Yea, what he said... It might just be the reflection in my crap camera phone shot.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:45 am

neps wrote:I might be off on this, but I remember Prince getting very religious recently, and being a pain about clearances. I remember reading about Kevin Smith (the director) who was filming a Documentary on him, and basically Prince is crazy. It could be that Knight Rider doesn't fit in with his new views of where his music is allowed. But what about Batman? Perhaps they had better clearances then, so they didn't need to ask him for permission when DVD came. LaserDiscs were around back then, so maybe they worded the contract just right to allow all future clearances.
I think the difference here comes in the fact that Prince specifically wrote music for 1989's Batman, whereas Knight Rider simply paid Prince some royalty fees to use his pre-existing songs in their series. Prince's party music in Batman was written to represent the Joker's character.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:56 am

neps wrote:Also, just noticed this on the packaging:
Includes original music except for two songs
At least they are being up front about it
:shock: I can't believe they were that upfront about it! I was very worried about this issue last year when Season 2 came out, because Season 3 utilized the most original music of all the seasons, in my opinion. And I knew that replaced music was inevitable; it was just a question of how bad it was going to be.

Well, it actually seems as if Universal put some effort into acquiring all the rights, but that they just couldn't clear Prince's songs, presumably because he's uncooperative with that stuff. Universal still couldn't 100 percent get it right, but 2 songs is tolerable. Until I see the episodes you're talking about, I don't know if the fact that there's no music at all is a better thing, though, as those scenes don't sound like they make sense with no music at all. Still, despite my disgust for Universal, I'm glad they kept it to a minimum.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Fri Jan 27, 2006 2:21 am

He's called "Prince" now again? I thought he had changed his name to a symbol, then to "The artist formerly known as Prince" or something? I can't even keep track.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:02 am

Okay.....

I literally just got season 3 in the mail and something is up on the back cover!

They got pictures from season 2(Frank Pool getting ready to throw Michael over the balcony), season 4(Michael in racing gear from 'Knight Racer', a picture of Stevie and Michael(guessing from Scent of Roses because they are by the beach) and Michael kissing some lady that I can't put my finger on for which episode.

I'm not one to really be bothered about art work and I know the earlier season sets also had the odd picture which weren't in the actual season but to have most of the pictures that are falsely representing the season in hand is false marketing.

The work is getting more lazy as the seasons go on and this can be told just by looking at the box itself.

I'm not personally impressed but I'm sure the episodes presentation make up for it. :D

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:10 am

Yea, I think at this point we need to keep our fingers crossed for Season 4. They probably just have a stock collection of stills from the Series, and unfortunately their design team isn't that familiar with the show. (Remember the Season 1 box also had shots from other years). I wish Universal paid as much attention to their franchises as other studios did.

And nice, where did you get your set so early from? That seems like a good place to order for people here.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:15 am

Here we go: http://www.loaded247.com/ :D

This is my first time in ordering a Knight Rider season from that site but I've ordered from there before with other DVD's and have been impressed all the time, taking into consideration it also had to be shipped to the UK from North America(as the site claims).

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:02 am

Here is my Season 3 review beta. I'm gonna rewrite a couple of parts before I put it on the main page of the site, but I wanted to get it up there, as there is a video comparison of the music in Dead of Knight (or lack of) which should be fun for people to see.

http://www.knightrideronline.com/reviews/season3/

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Fri Jan 27, 2006 9:20 am

Great review, Neil!

rulloa81
Operative

Post by rulloa81 » Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:40 pm

how do you compair season three with season two?

Lyn
FLAG Operative

Post by Lyn » Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:52 pm

For those who aren't fans of the singer named Prince so much, maybe the absence of the two songs won't matter so much on the 3rd season DVD set of "Knight Rider". Just my own opinion.....