1/18 Die Cast KITT Coming In December

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by HondaSiR » Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:36 pm

CB2001 wrote:Those are some pretty good pics, better yet, a pretty good model. Is that one of the older Monogram models or is that a rerelease? I've been wondering if AMT/ERTL or Revell Monogram had plans on releasing any of the '82-'85 Trans-Am models. Better yet, that's a pretty good question I should ask one of those car model magazines I buy.
It's one of the vintage ones that I bought off of ebay for $12.50 two years ago, and it was in sealed condition (I got lucky!). I don't think Monogram/Revell ever reissued it (1982-85). If they were to manufacture them again, I would definitely buy it in an instant, they look really great when finished.

If the magazine replies, do post it here so we'll all know their plans.

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:17 am

Sure will. Should I reply to this post or put it under my Model Conversion Essay (or how to make a KAR)? The magazine says that they don't do personal replies, so let's see if it turns up in an issue in the near future.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sat Dec 18, 2004 1:10 am

You know I never thought I'd be saying this...but those amber lenses have kind of grown on me and I don't think they look so bad on the model in person.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:03 am

CB2001 wrote:Sure will. Should I reply to this post or put it under my Model Conversion Essay (or how to make a KAR)? The magazine says that they don't do personal replies, so let's see if it turns up in an issue in the near future.
You can post it anywhere you like, we'll surely find it. If their reply ends up in an article, scan and paste it here.
Lost Knight wrote:You know I never thought I'd be saying this...but those amber lenses have kind of grown on me and I don't think they look so bad on the model in person.
Yep, those amber lenses can grow on you. I've left mine alone since they look awesome enough already (they look so real, as in lifelike!).

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:02 am

Its official, the grappling hook is a trap waiting to happen.I yanked it too far out and it wou;dn't retract.I used a pair of pliers to retract it.It took a while but it was done.It was tricky,but I managed to retract it back all the way.I keep feeling something should be in the trunk.Maybe I'll make a tiny vcr and make it look like the portable kitt from soul survivor or in junk yard dog.Or its good to keep a spair key to whatever you want there too.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:33 am

Just wonderingmaybe the defective winch isnt just on the ertl model.Anyone with a aoshima kitt have the same problem?

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:54 am

You know, after playing with this car a bit and comparing it to the BTTF 1/18 car, I'm really impressed. The BTTF model has the opening doors and the opening hood (well really it's trunk), and the Ertl people could have done just the same exact thing and we would have been happy. But they really took it a step above any other 1/18 scale car. Grappling hook, removable t-tops, ejection seat, working scanner. It's just on a whole other level, that any minor detail of inaccuracy doesn't really bother me cause you can see how much work they put into the car elsewhere.

Last edited by neps on Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:23 pm

Hey neps, I see some links but no pics on your last post. Is it just me or is anybody else having the same problem?

Anyhow, I agree that ERTL went all out and made an above average 1:18 diecast model KITT. That really is a given, and anybody who values Knight Rider should definitely own one.

On a side-note, the 1:18 BTTF DeLorean from Sunstar isn't so bad, specially the Part II version. It's made out of aluminum (like the real car), and has the swing-down wheels to simulate flight! Of all the DeLoreans, I think that is the one that is most special. Second on my list is the Part III version (which I sadly don't have). It has those old-tech vacuum tubes on the hood and out-of-place but funky white sidewall tires from the 50's....Ewwww...oh but ever so endearing. :D

Squealer
Volunteer

Post by Squealer » Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:24 pm

Thanks! Was waiting for comparison pics with the DeLorean for some time!

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:30 pm

Sorry about that HondaSiR, I used a & in my URL and that seems to have broken the code. Should be working now.

Glad I could provide these photos, I'm a big fan of BTTF as well (I love gadgetty cars, what can I say). Looking to get the Sunstar Part II model, especially for that flip up wheels mode. Wouldn't it be great if they also made it with fiber optics so the underneath could have all the lights that the screen car did? Mmm. Light up flux capacitor anyone? The part one has the Lightning Rod which is also a nice addition.

The photos btw are taken with a wide angle lens, so thats why it may appear a bit distorted. Both cars are 1/18, the deloran a little shorter in length which is normal I believe.

MrPayner
Operative

Post by MrPayner » Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:50 pm

imranbecks wrote:To MrPayner and everone else who have the Aoshima 1:18 KITT, can u guys confirm if the Aoshima version has the Pontiac/"arrowhead" logo in the center of each hubcap?
Yes it's there, just ever so faintly though.. i really had to look to see it when i first took it out of the box.

AP

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sat Dec 18, 2004 4:52 pm

You beat me to it, neps! I was planning on doing the same thing and providing pictures of the DeLorean and K.I.T.T. side by side. Only I have the Back To the Future Part II DeLorean and was going to put a stand underneath it to hold it up slightly with the wheels down to make it appear like its hovering. Now that I have KITT, the next thing I need to do is get a digital camera!

KNIGHTBOY
Volunteer

Post by KNIGHTBOY » Sat Dec 18, 2004 8:38 pm

Those are some cool comparison pics. You know, as much as I love that Delorean, KITT clearly blows it off the screen. In fact, it's amazing just how modern KITT still looks with that black paint job. You would never guess from those pics that you're looking at a 22 year-old Pontiac!

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:06 pm

Hey Neps, is that tape on the right T-Top?

A few pics of my beautiful :D (sorry about the quality :x )

Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Sat Dec 18, 2004 10:54 pm

Neps: I see the pics! Yeah, you got some greeeaat shots there I tell you. The DeLorean is a bit smaller than KITT in real life. Kinda makes me laugh when we put a General Lee into the picture, it would dwarf both cars! :lol: And yeah, a fiber optic option would have been a fascinating addition to the flux capacitor and the car's underside. :)

MrPayner: So the Aoshima KITT has the Pontiac logo on the caps? Wow!! That would make it the most true to the show bowling ball caps. KITT and KARR had them, although the studios painted them black. Could you provide us a close-up pic? :)

TurbomanKnight: Nice pics there my man...but lacking a little bit of lighting IMO. But nice interior and exterior shots nonetheless. :)

Lost Knight: I planned to take a pic of my Part 2 DeLorean together with KITT, but I'll leave the honor to you. :D
Last edited by HondaSiR on Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:01 pm

I dont know what happened. I had the light on. I was using a Video Camera that can take stills. It showed up perfect on the camera. Then I loaded it up to the machine. And it showed up dark. I then opened up photoshop and tried to get it brighter. Worked a bit. Ill try to get better photos.
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Sat Dec 18, 2004 11:15 pm

Perhaps you can adjust the settings on your video cam. Or take pics outside the house (that's what I do, my cellphone takes horrible pics indoors). :)

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sun Dec 19, 2004 12:22 am

HondaSiR wrote:Mrpayner: So the Aoshima KITT has the Pontiac logo on the caps? Wow!! That would make it the most true to the show bowling ball caps. KITT and KARR had them, although the studios painted them black. Could you provide us a close-up pic? :)

Lost Knight: I planned to take a pic of my Part 2 DeLorean together with KITT, but I'll leave the honor to you. :D
Go ahead with the pics, HondaSiR, because it will be quite some time before I get a digital camera or a phone camera for that matter.

I never knew K.I.T.T. had the Pontiac logo on his hub caps all this time, wow. I think the case with these models is that the only thing both companies share is the actual mold. Other than the mold, each company has their own foreign pieces (hubcaps, fender vents, decals, fog lights, etc.) which is why they are different on each model, in my opinion. It seems Aoshima paid more attention to the fine details of the real KITT, but had to resort to using 6 fog lights to occupy the 6 spaces, as well as not being able to make turn signal blackouts because they were using Ertl's inaccurate mold. At least they knew KITT did not have amber lenses (probably from their previous experience with Knight Rider models), only their manufacured fog lights happen to look tacky. Anyway, like I said, I no longer think KITT looks half bad with these amber lenses because the quality of Ertl's lights is good.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Sun Dec 19, 2004 3:48 am

imranbecks wrote:Actually, after watching a few episodes of KR recently, when they showed the tyres of KITT up close, there were the letterings of Goodyear Eagle GT, but they were colourless, if u get what i mean... So the letterings were on the tyres, it just wasn't white :wink:
Yes, the lettering in the series was always there, although for the series, I don't think it was meant to be seen. K.I.T.T. is supposed to have FLAG engineered bullet-proof tires that can withstand a lot of abuse including extreme heat (it takes a laser to blow the tires), so by the tires saying "Goodyear" on them, that basically shows that they were ordinary manufactured tires. I doubt FLAG took original Goodyear tires and modified them as it makes more sense that they would develop their own substance at the lab (along with the Molecular Bonded Shell) from scratch.

HondaSiR
FLAG Assistant

Post by HondaSiR » Sun Dec 19, 2004 4:02 am

Lost Knight wrote:Go ahead with the pics, HondaSiR, because it will be quite some time before I get a digital camera or a phone camera for that matter.
Ok Lost Knight, I'll post a pic but when you get your digital camera, do post yours. I'm sure you will outdo the quality of my pictures specially of you buy a dedicated digital cam. 8)

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:28 am

You need alot of light, and a long exposure for indoor photography. Could also try adjusting your white balance to get a more natural tone.

Image Image

Image Image

A longer shutter speed will also give you a greater depth of field (higher apature value), which will put more of the car in focus for you.

Squealer
Volunteer

Post by Squealer » Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:22 am

I would love to learn photography skills!!! I would need them for my other collections!

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:53 am

By the way - HondaSiR, just looking at the pic you posted, and I noticed your wheels. I've done the same to my wheels, and it looks really superb. It's a tiny detail that makes a hell of alot of difference to the appearance of the car - thanks for pointing it out. :)

I painted mine in water colours though - any excess on the hubs etc could easily be wiped away and tidied up then.

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:17 am

Hey Daniel. You have no pedals in your car! :shock:

Great Pics guys! Great Pics. :shock: 8)
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

DanielB
Operative

Post by DanielB » Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:21 am

TurbomanKnight wrote:Hey Daniel. You have no pedals in your car! )
I know. This was discussed when I first posted photos of the car - they're supposed to be sending me some replacements.