KNIGHT RIDER 2000 (1991)

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

ColeGrad01
Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

KNIGHT RIDER 2000 (1991)

Post by ColeGrad01 » Sat Nov 01, 2003 9:29 pm

Set in the year 2000, it is the future and crime has gotten so bad that the police are not able to do anything about it. All handguns are forbidden which only criminals illegally acquiring them have access to handling them. The Knight Foundation has a new board of members, but is still run by Devon Miles. Michael retired from it in 1990 and is out living at a cabin by a lake. He has spent the last ten years just hanging out there fishing now that his crime-fighting days are over. Devon shows up announcing that they need him back. Michael ends up being recruited back to the Foundation for Law and Government. KITT, the Knight 2000, is now considered obsolete and has been dismantled after not being used for an entire decade. Devon tells him that engineers are making a new model that will be called the Knight 4000. Michael finds the parts of what is left of KITT and retrieves the voicebox. He reactivates it and installs it into his own car. A criminal had been released from a cryogenic prison. He has been selling handguns out to crooks. A woman police officer gets shot by him after her colleagues betray her. She takes a bullet right in the head. After being found and rushed to the hospital, doctors use a chip donated to them to restore her back to life. This saved her from dying. But she now has no memory of her life. Therefore, the woman quits the force and joins the Knight Foundation. Since that is where the chip came from, she has knowledge all about it. Devon assigns Michael and her to work together. They travel around in Michael's car relying on KITT's voice to help them out with things. The chip implanted in the woman's head came right from the black car. Michael and the woman get attacked by the crooks. Since KITT is now part of an ordinary car, he can be damaged. Michael's car gets destroyed and the voicebox is automatically deactivated. Michael thinks he has to say goodbye to KITT for the moment. Later, the criminal and his associates capture Devon. They use a device to analyze what is in his head. Old clips are shown from the 80's TV show. The bad guys now know about F.L.A.G. and its top secret projects. The criminal sticks a poisonous needle in Devon which immediately kills him. A funeral occurs after that. Michael is upset and decides not to help anymore. He says being part of the Knight Foundation is just not the same without Devon. The woman tries talking him into coming back because she cannot fight without him at her side. The Knight 4000 is completed and Michael reinstalls the voicebox in there. KITT is back and twice as powerful as before. The new car is a red Firebird. Michael and the woman ride in it together to stop the criminal. He wants revenge for Devon's murder. They find him hiding out at a mall downtown. The woman now remembers that it was him who shot her. She wants to kill him, but Michael thinks he should just be put back in the cryogenic prison. The woman objects to that because he will be released looking the exact same when they are old and worn out. But Michael ends up killing him anyway after the criminal tries to fire a shot onto him. Michael goes back into retirement and leaves the woman with the newly created KITT.

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Sat Nov 01, 2003 11:15 pm

(Note: Not a red Firebird, a modified Dodge Stealth)
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sat Nov 01, 2003 11:24 pm

Note: Don't worry, cloudkitt, there are several items of the synopsis that stray off. ;)

KI

ColeGrad01
Operative

Post by ColeGrad01 » Sun Nov 02, 2003 3:19 am

What exactly do you find wrong with this synopsis? It is just a thing briefly telling what happens on the movie. Now do remember, this was for a totally different message board. It only ended up on this one. I just took everything I thought explained something just to let people know what this is about if they are someone who's never seen it. If I did a terrbile job, then look at this link from the official website:

http://www.fortunecity.com/lavender/007 ... /story.htm

ShadowConvoy
Recruit

Post by ShadowConvoy » Sun Nov 02, 2003 5:05 am

i thought it was perfect. As for the knight 4000 being a Dodge Stealth is irrelivant from the synopsis point of view since it was a Dodge Stealth dressed up to be a watered down Pontiac Banshee. So it may be a Stealth in reality but it was still portrayed as a Pontiac for all practical purposes of the show [and the synopsis so to speak]. Which reminds me there were never any references directly to Pontiac in any of the shows with only one exception that i can think of and that was in "Trust Doesn't Rust" when KITT says that KARR was going to give Pontiac a bad name. Aside from that these cars were alway portrayed as "one of a kind". I don't think any other Trans Ams ever appeared even in the background of a KR episode.
I'm sorry I'm rambling now. I just like palying "Devil's Advocate".LOL :evil: :lol:

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Sun Nov 02, 2003 10:25 am

In season one of Knight Rider, there were several mentions of KITT being specifically a Trans Am or a Pontiac. It happens in the pilot episode and Inside Out. Within the storyline of Knight Rider, KITT was definitely a Pontiac Trans Am.

Within the context of the Knight Rider 2000 storyline, there is absolutely nothing to support the idea that the Knight 4000 was supposed to be a Pontiac or a futuristic Trans Am.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Sun Nov 02, 2003 3:44 pm

Let's see, the 'woman' who was the center of the storyline had a NAME, her name was Shawn McCormick.

And once again, it is the kind of thing that anybody can get off of any website. You want a listing of them? Go to the links at the front of this site, and they will lead you to the full and less smashed together synopses of the thing.

Welcome to the board, ShadowConvoy, but I think if you want the factual synopses, you'd better visit a few of the websites, to see what they are really about, not one like this that is missing a few elements. I think if you are going to play 'devil's advocate', you'd better hang around and post a little more just so we know it is a devil's advocation, rather than a newcomer trying to stir it up. (Just a little helpful advice, no offense or hurt intended.)

KI

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Sun Nov 02, 2003 6:06 pm

I didn't say that the red firebird was horribly significant, nor did i insult him for doing so. it was just an observation...geez
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

knightvision
Operative

Post by knightvision » Sun Nov 02, 2003 8:39 pm

Those internet synopsis are just gramatically dreadful and full of errors and just bad sentence structure.

Nothing beats watching Knight Rider or Knight Rider 2000 for yourself.

Richie[/quote]

ColeGrad01
Operative

Post by ColeGrad01 » Sun Nov 02, 2003 9:44 pm

Are you talking about what all I typed out or what websites on the internet will tell you?

ShadowConvoy
Recruit

Post by ShadowConvoy » Sun Nov 02, 2003 11:23 pm

I stand corrected in that I forgot that Micheal was driving a T/A as Micheal Long. But I say again what some else has just mentioned above that within the contesxt of the show there is no ref to KIFT being a Pontiac even though it is obvious that was the "look" [Banshee] that they were shooting for.

knightendo
FLAG Recruit

Post by knightendo » Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:16 am

ShadowConvoy wrote:I stand corrected in that I forgot that Micheal was driving a T/A as Micheal Long. But I say again what some else has just mentioned above that within the contesxt of the show there is no ref to KIFT being a Pontiac even though it is obvious that was the "look" [Banshee] that they were shooting for.
this is just a suggestion, but maybe they weren't allowed to refer to KITT in KR2000 as a pontiac... i mean, they were banned from saying the car model or company name from the start of season three onwards and KITT was just referred to as a T-Top, a very general description. from what i heard pontiac did not allow the use of one of their cars again for the new tv movie (this was to be a series and they probably had the same reasons they had in the 80's) but the crew work so hard to create that look because really, a reunion movie is going to want to have a futuristic version of the 80s car. so i always considered in the context of the kr2000 story (weak as it is) that KITT was meant to be a pontiac, just a shame pontiac weren't more fourthcoming with help.
"If you're not having a good time, you're doing something wrong." Harrison Black, War Of The Worlds (tv series)

Scott Kirkessner
FLAG Recruit

Post by Scott Kirkessner » Tue Nov 11, 2003 12:20 pm

For the full and true story, go here: http://www.kr2k.com/bts.html

The producers of KR2K wanted to use the Banshee, but GM would not let them for fear of what happened in the 80's... hundreds of fans swamped them asking for the "KITT" car.

So, Jay Ohrberg was tapped to build something that resembles the Banshee but is different in it's own respect.

Hense, the tomato-mobile was born.

-scott

themarvelous3
Operative

Post by themarvelous3 » Tue Nov 11, 2003 1:08 pm

pretty close though wouldnt you say...

JL
Operative

Post by JL » Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:23 pm

Close, but no cigar. Compared to the genuine article, the customized Dodge Stealth was total pants. :(

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Nov 11, 2003 4:41 pm

Off topic, but I have to say it someplace: JL, I smile every time I see yuor signature. Shampoo indeed. * groan *
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

JL
Operative

Post by JL » Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:53 pm

Thanks, Mike. :)

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Wed Nov 12, 2003 4:11 pm

I rember seeing a similar picture of the Banshee gracing a late 80s cover of Car and Driver with the caption, "The 1992 Firebird?"

Man don't I wish :)
KITT project is on again!

Currently working on: brand new stock tan interior, almost done!

JL
Operative

Post by JL » Wed Nov 12, 2003 4:53 pm

^Wouldn't surprise me; didn't the Banshee start hitting the car shows in 1988?

And while the '93 Firebird didn't go all the way, you can certainly see the Banshee's influence on its design.