KITT vs KARR-start to finish

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Ghost-Unmade
Rookie
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Ghost-Unmade » Mon Aug 18, 2003 10:52 pm

Dramatic side?

I was just trying to emphasize the point that that had been bugging me. Why is everyone getting so ticked off?

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Mon Aug 18, 2003 10:56 pm

Why are you saying that we are getting ticked off?

KI

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Aug 19, 2003 1:46 am

Ghost-Unmade wrote: but what I want to know is where did he learn to be so decietful and maniuplative if he had been lying on a beach for two years.
They do sort of explain why KARR acted the way he did... As Michael explains, KARR knew that he could never be free until he got rid of KITT and Michael. So that does sort of fit in with his self-preservation programming: KARR was not safe as long as KITT was there to chase after him, and he had to manipulate people to help him. But I agree with you in the sense that they don't fully explain his personality change. I'm willing to go along with the idea of a computer with no emotions becoming bitter and wanting to seek revenge, but having KARR becoming a philosopher telling John what it means to FEEL was a bit much for me.

It's not really a logistical problem for me, we can make up any reason to rationalize KARR's personality change. I just thought it was a bad creative decision because to me, KARR was a far more unique and interesting character in TDR.

Mike
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

aussieknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by aussieknight » Tue Aug 19, 2003 2:14 am

Ghost-Unmade wrote:Dramatic side?

I was just trying to emphasize the point that that had been bugging me. Why is everyone getting so ticked off?

:lol: :lol:
I'm not getting ticked off. I'm finding this rather amusing! :D
:kittspin:
"What do you mean, 'get'? You ARE in big trouble." -KITT, Not a Drop to Drink.

Garthe Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Garthe Knight » Tue Aug 19, 2003 11:20 am

knightimmortal wrote: KARR's dash, yep, that is hilarious and one heck of a snafu.

KI
I always wonder, what's wrong with Karr's dash?
It was the season 1/2 dash in TDR and it was the same dash in KvK, although this time it was also build into the vehicle.

So what's the deal?!? Or have I found a nitpick in the nitpick? :lol:

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Aug 19, 2003 1:43 pm

It actually had upgrades that KITT had received in seasons 2 and early three, which was very impossible for KARR, since he was stuck in the sand since the latter part of season 1.

Add to that, the fact that he already had KITT's later dash in TDR, before KITT had it, it was a bit mind boggling to those who picked up on it.

KI
Last edited by knightimmortal on Tue Aug 19, 2003 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Tue Aug 19, 2003 7:28 pm

Why is everyone getting so ticked off?
We're not ticked off...where just passionate.

:D

:dash:
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Knicks4973
Operative

Post by Knicks4973 » Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:09 pm

I have a question. Which upgrades did KARR have in KvK that he didn't have earlier? And what is different about his dash? Some people have said it has season 3 graphics. What does that exactly mean? Does it look like KITT's season 3 dashboard or something else?

I think when it comes to KARR's functions, you need to remember he was built first. The upgrades he has in KvK that KITT had all along might have been their first before KITT got them. One example are the tinted windows. KITT had them in season 1 and KARR used them in season 3. He might have had them when he was first built. Remember, KITT was rushed. Those upgrades he received through the series might have been missing systems that KARR already had when he was first built.

I remember reading a nitpick about his monitor, which had hi-tech graphics, when it showed the pace-maker and that person said KITT received those type of graphics in season 3. KARR might have had that program, or one similar when he was first built.

I guess my point is, the upgrades KARR had might have been there all along, since he was the prototype and was built first and KITT was rushed.

On a side note, when taking about KARRs scanner turning yellow-orange. A lot of people have said the water bleached it, but no one has mentioned the fact that he was having problems with it in TDR. KARR said his fiber optics in his scanner had suffered a 20% reduction in opacity, probably due to his long incarcaration. And if see watch KARR late in the episode, his scanner doesn't seem to be working right. It might have been due to the camera angle, but it points to problems with his scanner. KITTs scanner was fine, KARRs wasn't.

Thoughts please.

Jared

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:18 pm

For the most part, you have picked out the changes, I haven't compared the dashes directly, (I shall leave that to the higher level nitpickers....) but the functions were different, and one has to wonder that if he had the functions in TDR, why didn't he use them?

But if you want to go for an unsupported explanation, you can in fact say that he had them to begin with. Now the thing that was interesting was the fact that some of the graphics Bonnie was stated to have invented after KARR was put out and was trying them out on KITT, so that sort of blows continuity right there.

He had problems with his scanner in TDR, but that didn't change the color later on, it didn't change it in TDR, really, it was just a typical 'oh something is wrong, but watch it be fixed in no time' thing that KR was pretty ripe for.

KI

Knicks4973
Operative

Post by Knicks4973 » Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:32 pm

With KARR's scanner having problems in TDR, no one would expect it to change color that quickly. He was buried for 2 years, a problem left unattended might have resulted in the changing of color?

The bleaching from the sea water is a very valid reason why his scanner changed color, but no one mentioned he had problems with it in TDR. After 2 years, as I mentioned above, left unattended, it might have changed the color?

Can anyone be specific about KARR's dash in KVK and what changed?

Ghost-Unmade
Rookie

Post by Ghost-Unmade » Wed Aug 20, 2003 12:53 am

Wasn't Bonnie Kidnapped in TDR and forced to do maintainance on KARR? I thought she fixed whatever he was moaning about at that point.