AIM Buddy Icons

Archive for discussions from 2003. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Michael_Knight
Volunteer
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

AIM Buddy Icons

Post by Michael_Knight » Sun Jun 22, 2003 1:36 pm

Hello. I made a couple AIM Buddy Icons that I'd like to share.

Also, here's a new smilie for the board.

Newcastle knight
Operative

Post by Newcastle knight » Sun Jun 22, 2003 6:41 pm

Thanks, i wanna use one of them except i dont know how to set it up.

all i can seem to do is choose the pre-made ones by AOL, how do i use one of them ?

thanks,

Scott

DBZ KITT
Recruit

Post by DBZ KITT » Sun Jun 22, 2003 9:07 pm

Excuse me, but I find it strange that you created that Kitt scanning smiley shortly after I created it for use on another KR board. It's also strange how almost exactly similar yours is to mine.

I'd advise you not to copy my work again.

K.I.T.T
FLAG Assistant

Post by K.I.T.T » Sun Jun 22, 2003 9:25 pm

It may just be a coinsidant, i have had that pic/smiley for ages as alot of people have, its small and easy to animate so im sure your not the only person who has animated it.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Sun Jun 22, 2003 9:28 pm

If you are talking about the smile in KITT, DBZ KITT I too find it strange that you created a smiley so soon after I made that one for this board. And the version that Michael_Knight is using above is based more on my design, then on yours. So I would ask you to refrain from attacking people on this board when it is quite possible that you are not the only source for his "inspiration."

Besides, the KITT in question came from elsewhere to begin with, so it is unfair for us to limit it to one board or another, as it was quickly to spread in the first place.

DBZ KITT
Recruit

Post by DBZ KITT » Sun Jun 22, 2003 9:37 pm

Whatever. All I know is I haven't seen a KARR version of that smiley except for the one I've made, so if I see that floating around, I'll know where it came from.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Sun Jun 22, 2003 9:52 pm

You should look at this board DBZ, they both have existed on this board for nearly a month, and I see yours were created a couple of days ago. I'm not fond of animated gifs myself, but if Michael_Knight feels the need to convert the KARR graphic to be animiated, he should feel free to do so.

All I am trying to say is that both yours, michael_knights and mine, are based on a design of smilies that existed already. we should not claim ownership of any of them, because we are all treading on someone elses graphic.

rusti_knight
Operative

Post by rusti_knight » Sun Jun 22, 2003 9:53 pm

What really gets me, Neil, is that you started all your shinyness when the other was well underway. What also gets me is your selective moderation. I know people on this board who can get away with murder, then when someone wants to defend their artistic honor you get all high and mighty and try slamming the gavel down.

I don't give a rat's ass who you think that smiley was based on. How nice of you to try and protect your own. Maybe they should know that the minute they're in real trouble, you won't do much for them. Hell, you don't even answer emails, I know, I've tried to contact you before. You close up like a frickin' clam and pretend you don't exist. What the hell kind of a board admin is that?

And then when they try to talk sense to you, you delete their posts or lock their threads and bury them. The hell kind of brain you operate? Wonderful moderation Neil, what school did you go to? I think they forgot to tell you that there are no exceptions to the rules to keep a community going. This is the reason so many people feel uncomfortable about posting here since KI left the board. They can't say jack without being attacked for it somehow. If that's how you want it, we can play that game. You first.

Rusti
[Rus] What makes you think you've got what it takes to tame me anyway?
[Beast] ~sly naughty grin~ Experienced handling.

--From RP
DevArt: http://rusti-knight.deviantart.com

aussieknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by aussieknight » Sun Jun 22, 2003 10:01 pm

Dudette! Settle! Neil seems to be a fairly decent guy to me. He has every right to remind people to be careful with copying stuff. Hell, my KITT pic was a direct RIPOFF of one he posted. And I nearly animated the scanner of one of those front pics, too. Let's not sweat the small stuff here. If you don't like his methods, there's the door. I, personally, have no problem. Now let's all be friends. :-) :kitt2:
"What do you mean, 'get'? You ARE in big trouble." -KITT, Not a Drop to Drink.

rusti_knight
Operative

Post by rusti_knight » Sun Jun 22, 2003 10:12 pm

Aussieknight: Want to bet? I tried the nice thing a long time ago, and I'm tired of it. If he wants to play this game, dammit, I'm gonna play it hard. So...why not try to stay out of it. Compared to the amount of time I've been on this board, you are, most definately, a 'newbie'. Leave this to your seniors, and you'd better reconsider the wisdom of calling me a 'dudette'. I am not a surfer chick, I'm smarter than that.

BTW, what makes you think you have the right to tell me to walk out the door? This is exaclty why self moderation doesn't work. It only exacerbates the situation.

Rusti

--From RP

Dave Knight
FLAG Recruit

Post by Dave Knight » Sun Jun 22, 2003 10:13 pm

Newcastle knight wrote:Thanks, i wanna use one of them except i dont know how to set it up.

all i can seem to do is choose the pre-made ones by AOL, how do i use one of them ?

thanks,

Scott
its simple you right click on the picture select save as, select where you want to save it then you open your AOL IM buddy list hit F3 select Buddy Icons look for a BROWSE PC button and from there look for where you saved it from hit select then close the browse box and then it apears in your buddy icon box next to the browse pc button and clear buttons remember only way you see your buddy icon is in that screen only people on your lists see yours :wink:
Michael: "You know, your as much fun as a divorce, which is not a bad idea!"
KITT: "I want custody of ME!"

Knight Rider: The Pilot

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Sun Jun 22, 2003 10:52 pm

Rusti, i like and respect you, but what's the deal here in bringing back back the business with firing KI?

You start off with going on about the graphic and that is the point in question and then you proceed to make it more personal and dredge up old business again.

I, myself, think it was wrong in what happened and I don't neccesarily agree with Neil about that particular situation but going from criticising him in expressing his views on the AIM icons to the way he handles the board as a whole is just plain wrong, not to mention the email part and I think everyone knows this type of situation is only going to bring back fights again.

Belitting fellow members just because they haven't been around 'longer than you' isn't just plain immature, it's also very intimidating. I've been around longer than YOU, if you wanna get like that. see how stupid that is now?

In my view, Neil was only saying, as he has already said, was that people shouldn't be fighting over graphics that are just so similar and common to each other. And let's face it, they are! And if the graphics were borrowed by all these different people from someone else and modified then there is no case to argue. is there?

As I said, personal attacks on someone is just no good. You may not like Neil, but everytime he is going to express his view, are you gonna jump on him?

That does nobody favours and certainly not making other people feel inferior through their lack of board presence.

A member is a member!

Skav
Love boxing? http://www.ringnews24.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

aussieknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by aussieknight » Sun Jun 22, 2003 11:08 pm

rusti_knight wrote:Aussieknight: why not try to stay out of it. Compared to the amount of time I've been on this board, you are, most definately, a 'newbie'. Leave this to your seniors, and you'd better reconsider the wisdom of calling me a 'dudette'. I am not a surfer chick, I'm smarter than that.

BTW, what makes you think you have the right to tell me to walk out the door? This is exaclty why self moderation doesn't work. It only exacerbates the situation.

Rusti
Oh no! Not the dreaded "You're a newbie" insult! Yes I am. But at 34, I think I'm YOUR senior, kiddo. My suggestion to leave was just that: a suggestion. Here's some more:
1 Get a life.
2 Get the number of a crisis centre and tell them your problems. Neil has better things to do that fight online with you.
3 Get off your soapbox-mounted high-horse. No-one here is impressed.

We are all here for FUN. Remember fun? Oh, and "dudette" was my second choice. My mate Neil corrected my original choice of "dude". I didn't know you were a sheila. And my original suggestion of "settle"still stands. You'll give yourself an ulcer.

Good job on the pics, Michael, by the way.

:kitt2:
"What do you mean, 'get'? You ARE in big trouble." -KITT, Not a Drop to Drink.

rusti_knight
Operative

Post by rusti_knight » Sun Jun 22, 2003 11:09 pm

I don't think I pulled your chain, Skav. I fight with my elders all the time, because, believe it or not, they *don't* always know better. I'm sick as hell of Neil picking and choosing who he moderates and who he doesn't. I can name a few members who get away with murder, but whenI do something that's barely half of the *?$# they pulled, what happens to me? My thread gets locked and buried.

To me, this is a perfect time for this. DBZ happens to be a friend of mine who he's treating a lot like he's treating me. You can fight with me, that's fine, but you don't do it to those around me too. It's a good way to tick me off. I have plenty of reasons for behaving the way I am. So, please, unless you got filled in from some source and happen to know exactly what's going on, let me handle this. Thank you.

Rusti

--From RP

Michael_Knight
Volunteer

Post by Michael_Knight » Sun Jun 22, 2003 11:16 pm

DBZ KITT wrote:Excuse me, but I find it strange that you created that Kitt scanning smiley shortly after I created it for use on another KR board. It's also strange how almost exactly similar yours is to mine.

I'd advise you not to copy my work again.
I didn't copy anyone's work. Geez. I don't take credit for original image, I only added the scanner. I was just trying to share something semi-cool that I took some time to do.

If you think I'm not being sincere, take the image I posted and examine it using an animation editor.

rusti_knight
Operative

Post by rusti_knight » Sun Jun 22, 2003 11:23 pm

aussieknight wrote: Oh no! Not the dreaded "You're a newbie" insult! Yes I am. But at 34, I think I'm YOUR senior, kiddo. My suggestion to leave was just that: a suggestion. Here's some more:
1 Get a life.
2 Get the number of a crisis centre and tell them your problems. Neil has better things to do that fight online with you.
3 Get off your soapbox-mounted high-horse. No-one here is impressed.

We are all here for FUN. Remember fun? Oh, and "dudette" was my second choice. My mate Neil corrected my original choice of "dude". I didn't know you were a sheila. And my original suggestion of "settle"still stands. You'll give yourself an ulcer.

Good job on the pics, Michael, by the way.

:kitt2:

Don't call me kiddo, I am not a child. Neil seems to have nothing else to do other than create his own problems. I've become one of them. Just leave this to me, I'm in no danger of an ulcer.

Generally, when you see that someone else has done a graphic like that you, ASK PERMISSION before you make one so similar. It's common courtesy and it helps prevent situations like this. And it's *so easy*. Keep that in mind.

Rusti[/i]

--From RP

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Mon Jun 23, 2003 6:14 am

Isn't it amazing how a few little innocent comments can escalate into a huge full on brawl.

It looks like everyone involved in this thread needs to walk away from this and regroup.

Everyone has made valid points mixed up with a lot of emotion.

Rusti has aired her views on Neils moderting methods. We all get steamed at times so lets leave Neil to deal with that as he sees fit.

As for the rest of the emotion in here... How about we all chalk this up as "point taken" "lession learned"

...and lets move on shell we?

Micheal_Knight I hope you don't take this thread to heart. We are all here to have fun and normally don't jump down peoples throats... but as I said we're all human and every now and then humans get steamed about things.

Now...lets get back to the fun
What would MacGyver do? - Find out here.
http://www.macgyveronline.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Mon Jun 23, 2003 7:28 am

You are absolutely right Rusti, DBZ KITT should have asked asked me before he went and created something so similar to something I had done. But he didn't, and thats not the point here. The point is that 90% of the design is someone else's, and none of us have any rights to claim it as our own.

Both of you have not posted a decent word on this board since everything happened, and the only time that you guys do is to criticize me or a member of the board. This is not a game to me so please excuse me if i dont jump to the challenge when called to the playground.

However, to show you moderation, I will now close this thread. I hope that Michael_Knight will continue to post in other threads, and see that we can get along from time to time.