How are TV ratings calculated?

Archive for discussions from 2009. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Formula87
Stranger

How are TV ratings calculated?

Post by Formula87 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:17 pm

How do the networks know who's watching their shows if they're being watched with the use of OTA antennae? Last fall, I installed a new OTA antenna on a 50' mast, and we watch all the network shows via digital over-the-air signals from our local stations. The picture quality is unbelievably clear (better than the dish or cable), and I've since cancelled my local channels thru my dish provider. This trend has to be on the increase since the majority of TV viewers readied themselves for the switch to digital back in February and are now able to watch HD shows for free. Are the networks relying on internet or mail surveys? I've never gotten one. I assumed they could track viewership thru cable and dish, because the converter boxes could track what we watch, and that's how most ratings were determined. Long story short; I like KR, my kids (ages 5 and 3) like KR, even my wife likes KR--though I doubt she'd go so far as to join a forum, but I hate to think NBC is underrating it's viewership because they can't track it accurately!

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: How are TV ratings calculated?

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:36 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nielsen_Ratings" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's pretty much the gist of it. Your antenna only receives transmissions, it doesn't send them so no, they would get no data from it unless it's hooked up to something that would be able to transmit data. There's DVR data and all that too, but networks don't care about it and only care about live viewers.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:23 am

But isnt the idea is to attract more advertising? and sell more DVDs when its released? so why only live viewers only counts? As long that money talks at the end of the day, then networks should look at the whole picture. Image :kitt:

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:30 am

They only care about live viewers because DVR and other recording methods allow you to skip commercials and if you're not watching the commercials you have no value to the network.
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

ozikool
FLAG Recruit

Post by ozikool » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:45 pm

That just answered my question
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ozikool" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; [fans only]
Save Knight Rider: http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/sav ... rider.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Formula87
Stranger

Post by Formula87 » Mon Apr 20, 2009 11:12 am

PHOENIXZERO, thanks for the reply. I didn't even think to check wiki! I do hope NBC decides to do season two, I think the storyline was finally getting focused, and they could really expand on what's happening. *fingers crossed*

Knight007
FLAG Assistant

Post by Knight007 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:58 am

"So commercials is what really counts, and Big DVD selling numbers are just added frosting on the top of the cake. all the income from the sales will not be part of making the call if want to go for another season or no."
Is this a right way to say it? or it needs adjusments?
I am sorry keep talking about this, but I really need to understand the mentality of the networks and how they are making their calls on going for other season or not. Image :kitt: