KARR.... Colossus?!?

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

snafu
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

KARR.... Colossus?!?

Post by snafu » Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:58 am

I poked around for bits of Colossus: The Forbin Project on Youtube and someone posted that the voice of Colossus (with some dubbing and tweaking) is Paul Frees, ala KARR in "Trust Doesn't Rust". This was later confirmed on other sites.
Colossus:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=W7Rq-PEW5qM&feature=related
KARR:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=pZR_T5WxN3M
I thought it was interesting.
Heaven, where all QC only has to be run once.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Re: KARR.... Colossus?!?

Post by FuzzieDice » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:17 pm

The first one is so vocoded that I couldn't tell really who it would be. The second one is Peter Cullen. He did KARR in Trust Doesn't Rust. Paul Frees did KARR's voice in KITT vs. KARR (3rd Season).

It could be Peter Cullen as Colossus but I am not sure due to the vocoding of the voice of the machine. I know Peter Cullen has done a lot of great voice-overs in his career, notably for Transformers. So who knows it could have been him. I couldn't find anywhere where the actor who did the computer's voice is credited.

snafu
FLAG Recruit

Post by snafu » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:48 am

I thought they were the other way around...? Didn't Paul Frees do the first one?
Wikipedia says Paul Frees did Colossus (uncredited in the movie) but I didn't check imdb.com
Paul Frees also did a lot of uncredited work. The Wiki article cites a lot of good sources so it appears to be accurate, but who knows.

ETA: Nope, I was wrong. Sorry.
But the voice aside Colossus sounds a bit familiar- if you pay attention to the enunciation (sp?) and how clipped the words are.

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by Victor Kros » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:26 pm

Paul Frees (Solomon Hersh Frees) is also famous for his voice over work in the Disney theme parks. Most notably as the Ghost Host narration in The Haunted Mansion and many voices inside the Pirates of the Caribbean ride. He was also the voice of Ludwig Von Drake and Boris Badenov among other things.

Frees replaced Peter Cullen as the voice of K.A.R.R. in the episode K.I.T.T. vs K.A.R.R.

=VK=
:dash:

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:18 am

I had heard/read somewhere that Paul Frees also did Santa in Frosty the Snowman and also the Pillsbury Doughboy. When I heard all that I was astonished. Paul Frees (may he rest in peace) was a great voice actor! Peter Cullen is great too and I was glad he reprised his role in the Transformers movie. I got that movie and love it. :)

snafu
FLAG Recruit

Post by snafu » Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:25 pm

I think I am the only human left on planet earth who has never been to a Disney theme park.

knight rider uk
Rookie
Location: somewhere over the rainbow way up high theres the one that i dream of once in a lulleby.

Post by knight rider uk » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:00 pm

SD_Chick wrote:I think I am the only human left on planet earth who has never been to a Disney theme park.
Ive never been to one as well, and have no desire to go either
:kittside:
I knew when i first saw you, how could i not adore you,you kissed away my tears and washed away my pain-and now the sun is riseing

snafu
FLAG Recruit

Post by snafu » Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:38 pm

(I don't really have an urge to go, either)

I'm not a theme park person in general. Come to think of it, I'd rather watch cowboy poker. (or play it myself, holy moly!) I prefer rodeos and races.

But that's neat that Paul did lots fo voice work, kind of sad that he wasn't credited very often.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:47 am

Hmmm, KARRlossus?

I went to Disney Land (and Universal Studios Hollywood) back in uhhh either '89 or '90, maybe both. Got to see "KITT" with some guy not even trying to imitate William Daniels voice. Wish I had pics but I think those were lost with a screwed up roll of film....
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

GarthKnight08
FLAG Recruit

Post by GarthKnight08 » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:32 am

I just watched Voltron for the first time in 20 years last night because it was free on Xbox live & noticed that Peter Cullen did voice for that also. Anybody know what other voice overs Paul Frees did?
Founder of OKA (Original KITT Anonymous)
If you need to get out feelings of loss for the Original KITT then we can help!

DJCHRISSTEVENS
Recruit

Post by DJCHRISSTEVENS » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:27 pm

Paul Frees voiced all characters, except the lead role, in the US versions of Belvision's The Adventures of Tintin cartoons, based on the books by Hergé. In the 1956 Cinemascope Tom and Jerry (MGM) cartoon, Blue Cat Blues, he was Jerry's voice who narrated the short.

For the 1962 Christmas special Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol, produced by UPA, Paul Frees voiced several characters, including Fezziwig, the Charity Man, two of the opportunists who steal from the dead man (Eyepatch Man and Tall Tophat Man)[4] and Mister Magoo's Broadway theatre director. He subsequently provided numerous voices for further cartoons in the series that followed, The Famous Adventures of Mr. Magoo.

Frees provided the voices of both John Lennon and George Harrison in the 1965 The Beatles cartoon series, and of The Thing in the 1967 series Fantastic Four. He played several roles--narrator, Chief of State, the judges and the bailiff--in the George Lucas / John Korty animated film, Twice Upon a Time.

In TV commercials, he was the voice of the Pillsbury Doughboy, the 7-Up bird Fresh-Up Freddie, Froot Loops spokesbird Toucan Sam (previously voiced by Mel Blanc, later voiced by Maurice LaMarche), and the Little Green Sprout, who called out to the Jolly Green Giant, "Hey, Green Giant, what's new besides ho-ho-ho?"

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:59 am

I never been to a Disney theme park either, and also don't plan to go to any theme parks. Not my thing.

Yeah, Paul Frees did a lot of great voice work! Including Ghost Host at (guess what? :) ) the Disney Theme Park! There's something on YouTube somewhere one time showing Abe Lincoln (animatron) which he also voiced the naration for (but I don't think Lincoln's actual voice).

T.A.H.O.E.
FLAG Recruit

Post by T.A.H.O.E. » Thu May 01, 2008 4:38 pm

I went to Dizzzzzznnneeeeeeeeeee theme park in Florida....some riders...okay but essentially lame-o-

Islands of adventure...fun...seeing KITT= PRICELESS! - but the line to get up close & in him....too long....!
sad that he looks a bit weathered/beaten up/tired...HE NEEDS HELP. ( at least this KITT does )
" Silence....we have an intruder... "

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Thu May 01, 2008 9:25 pm

KITT was on display at Universal Studios Orlando? I was under the impression he was removed from Universal Studios Hollywood before Orlando was constructed? Did Orlando have a "meet KITT" set up as well? If so I've never seen it unless it's identical to the one that was in Hollywood.

=VK=

T.A.H.O.E.
FLAG Recruit

Post by T.A.H.O.E. » Fri May 02, 2008 3:56 pm

".....Merely a pale copy of the original...!"-- a quote from KARR

I am not sure & the line was long enuff so I could not get a up close to see...but it was a KR vehicle that looked like KITT.... it may have beeen a loned out car form NBC/Universal/paramount/whoever....!

BUT IT DID LOOK REALLY TIRED ,WEATHER WORN....
" Silence....we have an intruder... "

Victor Kros
FLAG Operative

Post by Victor Kros » Fri May 02, 2008 8:56 pm

As far as I know the only car on display out there in Universal Orlando was the Delorean from Back to the Future and the train from Back to the Future III. But who knows, last time I was out there they had just those two props while for some reason Disney's MGM Studios (Now Hollywood Studios) had the mini-tram tour and the "Boneyard" exhibit which really put Universal Orlando's prop collection to shame.

The mini-tram ride and boneyard had the motorcyles from Indiana Jones and the Last Crusaude, bomb from Armegeddon, rockets from The Rock, props from Peal Harbor, plane model from Con Air, the ship from Flight of the Navigator and my personal favorite, a skiff from Return of the Jedi and a Snowspeeder from The Empire Strikes Back.

=VK=