What to change about the KNIGHT 3000 when it goes to series

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: What to change about the KNIGHT 3000 when it goes to series

Post by Lost Knight » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:15 am

DorianX wrote:1. Get new writers. The plot of the pilot was bordering on incoherent, and it felt very much like they had approached KITT as a plot device instead of a character.
Well, new writers is a given, as David Andron surely wouldn't be writing all of the episodes if the telepic leads to a series. If he stays on board, I'm sure he'd only be writing a few episodes a season and most likely with a co-writer. The hardest part is now over, and that was writing the origin story and properly establishing the main characters. There will be multiple writers for a series, and they'll each have their own style, which is good news to the fans who disliked the way the Pilot was written.

I strongly disagree with you, however, on your statement that the Pilot was incoherent. I thought it was very straightforward. I wouldn't call it incoherent, but I would call it somewhat watered-down in terms of K.I.T.T.'s stunts and abilities.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

DorianX
Recruit

Post by DorianX » Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:32 am

One thing that really bugged me plotwise was the infeasability of one of the basic conceits: that the pentagon would use a drone control system with a backdoor known only to Charles Graiman and that he'd be allowed to keep the code for it on his personal hard drives.

Something like that would have to go through the strictest kind of testing and certification, which means that many many people would have looked at all the code and it would NEVER have been approved for use if there were a back door. And anything related to it would be kept in a secure facility. Aside from the fact that Graiman had a KITT hiding in his garage, it's not like the setup is so bizarre that the government doesn't *already take steps to prevent something like that from happening*. I mean, seriously, the only thing standing between Prometheus and someone who wanted to seize control of it was *Graiman's body double*?

Everyone likes to imagine secret programmer backdoors in software. It doesn't happen in the real world, not now that there's money at stake, and even less when there's national security at stake. People test these things, people pour over every line of code. If a vulnerability gets through (and they do, sure), it's by *accident*, not by *design*. (And a programmer who tries to leave a backdoor in a commercial program and gets caught gets fired. A programmer who tries to leave a secret backdoor in a defense system gets *arrested for treason*.)

viper_defender
Recruit

Post by viper_defender » Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:31 pm

I wish they added more cosmetic changes to the inside of the car

1. Additional LCD display... (in this age of pimped out cars with 3 or 4 LCD displays Ki3t looks remarkably stock)
2. Loose the additional wing (Reminds me of Cars wingo and harks back to super pursuit mode)
3. Moving equipment pod like much like the old tv show viper so the equipment they use
4. More Manual controls so there is a tactile feeling to the car
5. A classic knight logo on the wheel... maybe in silver
6. A dedicated voice box in the middle of the dash
7. In this age of cellphones... Why not instead of a blue tooth headset give KI3T a Cellphone extension complete with scanner and voice box so he can go mobile, (IE james bond's Cell in Tomorrow never dies) this is a good place to inject humor, and give Ki3t a bigger role, humor could rise from man/car interaction. Like stuff that happens when kitt talks to bystanders.
8. Give da'hoff devon mile's role and for once let him drive the new car!
9. Also so you can see the car drive at night Optional ground glow lights so the car is more dramatic and easier to see (for the audiences benefit)...
Knight Rider 1984
Viper 1994
Knight Rider 2008
Men and Machines that make a Difference!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRzKrzXod6Y" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; See how the Morph!

DorianX
Recruit

Post by DorianX » Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:59 am

viper_defender wrote:I wish they added more cosmetic changes to the inside of the car

1. Additional LCD display... (in this age of pimped out cars with 3 or 4 LCD displays Ki3t looks remarkably stock)
Actually, it seems like the current movement for "pimped out" isn't 3-or-4 displays, but finding a way to do as many things as possible with just a single display and very minimal controls -- I've seen a concept Lambo (I think) where *everything*, temperature, radio, headlights, electronics, EVERYTHING was controlled by a single multi-purpose joystick sort of thing. The idea is that if you only have to go to one place for everything, you can spend less time looking around and more time actually driving.

That said, I think with the new nanoskin layer, a cool application would be for what we saw here to just be KITT's 'default' mode, and allowing him to "grow" new displays and controls for special situations.