Some of the "Knight Rider" Rumors Are Ironed Out

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Josch Schulz
FLAG Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Some of the "Knight Rider" Rumors Are Ironed Out

Post by Josch Schulz » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:34 am

Scott Weinberg writes: "To the nine of you who simply cannot WAIT for the "Knight Rider" movie,
AICN is where you want to get your updates. Lots of rumors have been swirling around about the
silver screen adaptation of the TV show about a curly-haired hero and his semi-human autotmobile,
but now we've got some real news...
The Knight Rider movie is indeed moving forward, but the script is still being worked on.
The script will not involve (David) Hasselhoff & will lean towards remaking the pilot episode,
"Knight of the Phoenix", with a modernized take. In Hollywood, everyone wants to turn a movie
into a franchise or trilogy: relaunching the concept as a franchise for a new generation has
been insisted upon. Same characters, same concept of a talking/advanced car, different development."

Kaine
FLAG Recruit

Post by Kaine » Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:57 am

actually i think that's the best that could possibly happen to Knight Rider.

since the movie is a restart it won't mess with established continuity. there won't have to be half of the movie explaining where the characters have been for the last 20 years.

if you don't like the movie, you can pretend it never happened, because it won't be in the same fictional universe as the 80's series. (ignoring knight rider 2000 and TKR is so much harder than ignoring Knight Rider 2010)

if you like the movie (and if it is successful) we might even get more movies or a new tv-series, a new franchise for a new audience that does not necessarily exclude those who loved the original series.

i fully trust Glenn Larson and i have the impression that the Weinstein Company actually give him the liberties to do it right.

a remake of "knight of the Phoenix"... so shall it be :)

LuvKITT
FLAG Recruit

Post by LuvKITT » Mon Sep 25, 2006 7:53 am

I'm still not going to believe anything until the actual trailer will come out. IF it comes out like that as a remake I will not go see it.

James_kr
FLAG Assistant

Post by James_kr » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:13 am

i think even if its a remake everyone who is a fan will end up seeing it, they will want to see how it turns out because at least something with the name Knight Rider is back. Even if it turns out bad. I think they know about all the fans and their intentions about the movie.
K.I.T.T: "Dog go away"

Josch Schulz
FLAG Operative

Post by Josch Schulz » Mon Sep 25, 2006 8:25 am

@James_kr

Yeah thats what i think to but i think we have a problem to. We have the new Movie and i think we have no Hasselhof in it. I think its going to be goog when we have many remembers in the movie about the old series but i think we have a problem wy ? I think we became that Movie like Knight Rider 2000 or TKR. But okay everyone needs a chance to remake it. We must say okay to this. Everyone of us should go into the movie. When we say it going to be bad before wenot take a look on it then we are very bad fans. Something new is good but lets hope they make a very good remake and lets see what the future is coming on. We have a good contact to david management and become good and bad news lets see what the movie brings

LuvKITT
FLAG Recruit

Post by LuvKITT » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:02 pm

I am VERY picky about what I go see. I have only seen maybe 2 or 3 movies in the theater this year. There are others that I would have like to have gone to see but I have better things to do, like work on my Trans Am...hehe.

Knight-Rider
Rookie

Post by Knight-Rider » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:05 pm

I think it will be good to redo the pilot. Just image what they can do these days with everything and a better budget then NBC gave them. Just as long as Michael's wound does not jump from one shoulder to the other :D I would like to see what they can come up with.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:42 pm

I dunno. They better make it entertaining. We'll see. It doesn't sound like KARR is coming back though. :( I wish he was.

Well, if we're not satisfied, there's always fanfic. ;)

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:18 pm

KARR belongs in the first remake movie like Khan belongs in the original Star Trek movie. We need to have that re-entry to learn about the characters, themselves. KARR/Garth belong in the sequels where the more challenging enemies come into the spotlight. (And, seeing as how their episodes are on many top 10 lists.)

Josch Schulz
FLAG Operative

Post by Josch Schulz » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:02 am

@jup

We never will see when we never go to the movoe i think we lat us suprise :wink:

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:32 am

I think they will end up "remaking" the franchise with a new film.

For a new generation not familiar with the show, it will confuse them to see a continuation of an old series so it's logical they start from scratch again.

As long as they keep the same "feeling" of the show and hasselhoff is on board then I'm all for it.

Wizster
FLAG Recruit

Post by Wizster » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:05 pm

Knight-Rider wrote:I think it will be good to redo the pilot. Just image what they can do these days with everything and a better budget then NBC gave them. Just as long as Michael's wound does not jump from one shoulder to the other :D I would like to see what they can come up with.
Just imagine what they could do these days on a new episode-type plot. There's no reason why the pilot would be better suited to the next technology than any other episode.

Wizster
FLAG Recruit

Post by Wizster » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:06 pm

Skav wrote:I think they will end up "remaking" the franchise with a new film.

For a new generation not familiar with the show, it will confuse them to see a continuation of an old series so it's logical they start from scratch again.

As long as they keep the same "feeling" of the show and hasselhoff is on board then I'm all for it.
I don't know why they want to use an old series if they're going to change the way it feels anyway. Just create a new story

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Post by JJSoCrazy » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:28 pm

I am up for the remake but it would be nice to bring back the TA atleast for KITT. Also I hope they keep all the original names and maybe even the same classic voice they always had! I am really into the dark type of Knight Rider that would be sooo sick. Just like Batman Begins was dark oh man would that be cool to have a dark KR film. We will have to see, I am happy that Glen A. Larson is involved so the movie doesn't end up a joke like Dukes & Starsky, uchk!

I wonder how the theme song will be made, the same or a new version, hmmmm.....

Josch Schulz
FLAG Operative

Post by Josch Schulz » Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:38 pm

A Dark Knight Rider Movie jeah taht would be cool, but never and i say never use a Firebird and Trans Am and when it is so, then use a new model. Remeber that Pontiac make no Pontiac Again and when the movie comes the old 80s Firebird is an Oldtimer. Its not good to the Stunts i thing. :roll:

JL
Operative

Post by JL » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:36 am

James_kr wrote:i think even if its a remake everyone who is a fan will end up seeing it, they will want to see how it turns out because at least something with the name Knight Rider is back. Even if it turns out bad. I think they know about all the fans and their intentions about the movie.
Bingo! Just like all the Trekkies who are claiming they won't see the new movie because it'll have different, younger actors as Kirk and Spock... they'll see it, if for no other reason than so they can piss and moan about it with authority. ;)
Wizster wrote:
Knight-Rider wrote:I think it will be good to redo the pilot. Just image what they can do these days with everything and a better budget then NBC gave them. Just as long as Michael's wound does not jump from one shoulder to the other :D I would like to see what they can come up with.
Just imagine what they could do these days on a new episode-type plot. There's no reason why the pilot would be better suited to the next technology than any other episode.
Not necessarily the exact same plot, but I'm sure that if they go this route, the film will open with young police lieutenant Michael Long getting shot in the face during a blown undercover job, only to be rescued by dying billionaire Wilton Knight and his trusted friend Devon Miles, who want Michael to drive their futuristic new talking car... where it goes beyond that is up to the writers' imaginations.

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Re: Some of the "Knight Rider" Rumors Are Ironed O

Post by cloudkitt » Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:08 pm

Josch Schulz wrote:Scott Weinberg writes: "To the nine of you who simply cannot WAIT for the "Knight Rider" movie...
ouch
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:06 pm

JL - You got me thinking of when they took stopped airing the old Star Trek and came out with TNG. It wasn't "Star Trek" to some. I watched it though and loved the new characters. Data was my favorite. :) Then came out DS-9 and I enjoyed that one (Dr. Bashir was a favorite). And then I watched Voyager (Chakotay was the favorite, as was 7 of 9, the Borg and the elf-girl I forgot her name, she was Neelix's girlfriend). I watched Enterprise but not enough to really determined which Characters I liked. I didn't see many episodes before I kinda got tired of it or else they stopped airing it or whatever.

So I'm thinking, if they re-do Knight Rider, I'm hoping it might have better luck. I know they tried with TKR and it flopped. And they tried with KR2K and it flopped too. I hope this time around it really takes off.

JL
Operative

Post by JL » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:22 pm

Whether or not KITT is a 1982 Trans Am, whether or not the film features David Hasselhoff in any capacity, I think as long as the film remains true to the spirit of the show, and tries to play it straight, it'll be a good film.

And by "play it straight," I'm not saying no humor; if anything, the witty banter between Michael and KITT was one of the best things about the show. Just don't make it borderline parody like the recent film versions of The Dukes of Hazzard, Starsky and Hutch, and Charlie's Angels.

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Tue Oct 03, 2006 3:14 am

FuzzieDice wrote:JL - You got me thinking of when they took stopped airing the old Star Trek and came out with TNG. It wasn't "Star Trek" to some. I watched it though and loved the new characters. Data was my favorite. :) Then came out DS-9 and I enjoyed that one (Dr. Bashir was a favorite). And then I watched Voyager (Chakotay was the favorite, as was 7 of 9, the Borg and the elf-girl I forgot her name, she was Neelix's girlfriend). I watched Enterprise but not enough to really determined which Characters I liked. I didn't see many episodes before I kinda got tired of it or else they stopped airing it or whatever.

So I'm thinking, if they re-do Knight Rider, I'm hoping it might have better luck. I know they tried with TKR and it flopped. And they tried with KR2K and it flopped too. I hope this time around it really takes off.
Fundamentally, theres alot more funding involved in the new film that it should surpass the other KR revivals. More money brings better writers, directors....etc just a case of getting the best out of them.

Ah a trekkie. I've watched (and still watch) all the 90's Star trek along with Enterprise. Trip and Malcolm are the ones I easily relate to. Ones an engineer and the others british :lol: see the episode shuttlepod one.

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:53 pm

I think Malcolm was the one I liked in Enterprise come to think of it - he was the british one, right? Reminded me slightly of Dr. Bashir (Alexander Siddig, originally Siddig El Fadil, was actually I think born in the Sudan and raised in England or something, thus the accent is quite similar). Both done a wonderful job in their respective Star Trek roles.

I remember seeing a picture on Memory Alpha one time of Dr. Bashir and Data shaking hands. I never saw that episode. What one was that or was it a movie?

Trekkie? Well, maybe not in the sense of others were. I had been though pretty big into it but haven't been as much in years. I guess I still love Trek a lot though. I got hooked at around age 7 and Spock was my favorite back then.

sarfraz
FLAG Assistant

Post by sarfraz » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:05 am

Sounds about the same as me then....like it alot but no way I'm I dressing up as a Klingon :lol:

Malcolm is the british weapons officer. I would recommend you watch Shuttlepod one, from I think series 1. Its main focus is on Malcolm and Trip and their limited oxygen supply in the pod.

Back on topic. I think I have been one of the few wanting a reboot. It really does make more sense as I doubt the general public still remembers the stories and characters in the quite the way the fans remember them.

Sarfraz
"I would not sell yourself short Michael, you are much more than a horse"

jup
FLAG Operative
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:45 pm

In my opinion on Trek, the original is a true classic that should never be touched to even attempted to look modern. NG will always be an awesome show. (Though, towards the end, I winced at every revisited chance they had towards Klingon civilization.) DS9 tried to be it's own show and nailed the bullseye in every department. Now...it seems that Voyager partially lost it's way and was the point when Trek jumped the shark. And Enterprise...just should never have been. I only saw two episodes...and I had already seen them. As for the modern movies with TNG cast, I felt that the Borg attack on Earth was the only worthy theatre script. All the others were filler episodes for TV episodes...not worth charging admission for.

Anyhow...back to subject...

Perhaps, it's a very good idea to let the new theatre movie be a remake. After all, do we truly want millions spent and $9-$12 out of our own pockets to go see Knight Rider 2020...where they try to piece together the rubbish worlds that 2000/2010 set up? NO!!! Not in a million years. Next to nobody actually thinks of either of those movies and would be totally lost if it even tried. Wipe clean the filthy slate and begin anew.

And, as for the modern Dukes, I must agree that it was a pure joke. Remember seeing a whole section of wall dedicated to that movie...and it was super easy to check out a copy...as they never moved at all.