Kitt's CPU

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Kitt's CPU

Post by Knight Racer » Sun Jan 17, 2021 10:38 pm

I was taking a closer look at kitt's cpu port under him to turn into an icon for my phone settings when it was under the front bumper in season 3 Lost Knight (not in season 4 Killer Kitt when it was under his dash, same port magically moved over). I noticed the board in this pic was the exact board in the black case that kitt's cpu was enclosed in season 2 Soul Survivor.

I used to always believe that the car was known as the knight 2000 vehicle and the knight industries 2000 was the CPU computer that ran the car. But now it's like the cpu and car are one and the same.

Just for fun, the TKR version of kitt's cpu case:

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Re: Kitt's CPU

Post by Knight Racer » Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:46 pm

I forgot to include one more thought on the CPU. What if kitt was just that 1 blinking board? I always expected such a cpu would need to be more than the size of a video card today's age.

March2875
FLAG Recruit

Post by March2875 » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:28 pm

I always assumed in Junk Yard Dog Bonnie repositioned Kitts CPU for easier safer access. The episodes aired in the right order.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:16 pm

I just checked both episodes. In Lost Knight season 3, Bonnie refers to it as kitt's CPU Service Port. In Killer Kitt season 4, she refers to it as his control panel. Another question, if Bonnie downloaded all of kitt's memories to that 1 board from the backup they keep in the mobile command unit, how would Kitt even know of Doug?

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:01 am

Perhaps the electrical shock cleared KITT's memory, maybe separate unit from the CPU, but when Michael replaced the CPU unit, the memory still had power and he was able to remember both Michael and Doug? Maybe Bonnie added memory to the replacement CPU unit so KITT would remember his past before the electrical shock, at least to get the car back to the semi for full repair?
Also, the Soul Survivor CPU box looks deeper than the PCB visible in there, so maybe there's another card under there? Old school multi-layer motherboard :)

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:49 pm

As deep as that board is in its case, I have to think just a battery pack in that case behind the board to power all those blinking lights.

krrdr2010
FLAG Recruit
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Post by krrdr2010 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 6:13 pm

The CPU on TKR is the Coolest.