Knight rider on the PS2 system -users have played that?

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

krps2
Volunteer
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

Knight rider on the PS2 system -users have played that?

Post by krps2 » Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:35 pm

Hello,

I wanted to inquire, who played the Knight rider game for the PS2, produced by Davilex games, of course that company closed in 2005.

I only played the game in 2015. Not that exciting, but was nice to play something inspired from the series. I never saw the series when it aired, I wasn't even born.

I may get a copy of the second game, it mentions more features, and the reviews appear a bit better.

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Re: Knight rider on the PS2 system -users have played that?

Post by Assasinge » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:51 pm

What about it?

WittgenTT5/Rstein
Operative

Post by WittgenTT5/Rstein » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:24 pm

Knight Rider: The Game is.. so-so, to be honest. It's got KITT and all, but it feels very rushed.

Which it is, actually.
Rstein, the supercomputer on wheels.

KITTfan
FLAG Operative
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by KITTfan » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:16 am

Bought myself a used PS2 just two months ago and Knight Rider 2 game for it. Haven't played it very much yet, just few first missions but already I get the feeling that there is room for improvement :P

As a side note, never had PS2 before, only the PS1 and PS3. It's the original PS2 Fat model and I'm actually pretty impressed how big step forward it is from PS1. It seems to be much closer to PS3 than PS1.

Too bad nobody did Knight Rider game for PS3, perhaps for PS4 some day?

Han
Rookie

Post by Han » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:42 am

As pointed already it's nothing special, just an average game. I remember replaying it a few times and watching a lot of the clips in the second game, but i guess it's the best knight rider game you can find

krps2
Volunteer

Post by krps2 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:18 pm

I mentioned it, out of interest. Knight Rider has been airing here in the UK on channel 31 on the freeview box, that is how I watch television, so no cable subscription.

But yeah, I completed when I got it, and yes, not a special game, but certainly the car is the focus, and it is inspired from a few of the episodes. I do plan on getting a copy of the sequel that was released a couple of years after, that included weapons with it, it would of needed something to give it more punch for action. I guess nobody has played that?

The first game has a purple colour disc, not sure about the second. I own a few games like that, London racer 2, SSX tricky, that would of been the first game batch released with the PS2 on launch. As well as, 18 wheeler pro American trucker, they all spin quite fast.

Kittfan, I see, I had an original PS2, the twenty hundred model, about sixteen years ago, had I stored the one I had the following year, properly, it would of still worked till this day, it stopped reading cd's properly, it probably needed a laser clean, but at the time, I just wasn't up for messing about with it, buying some cleaning liquid for it, and all that. I recycled it.

Han
Rookie

Post by Han » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:37 pm

I don't know about the first game since i played it on the computer, but i believe the second game @op was released in cd-rom instead of dvd

There ain't much new to see, but i remember it being slightly better than the first one, they tried more but it's the same engine as the previous, some things have been adjusted here and there, and they seem to have put more effort in KR2, the low point of the game is fighting waves of robots with KITT's upgrades that feel like they would suit better a James Bond car than KITT.

Anyway, i had fun with it back in the day, it's dated but you can still play it.

tharpdevenport
Operative

Post by tharpdevenport » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:57 pm

If it's bad, maybe you can talk the Angry Video Game Nerd into reviewing it.
And when things appeared to get better, they got worse, and everyday was a day to cry.

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:34 am

krps2 wrote:I mentioned it, out of interest. Knight Rider has been airing here in the UK on channel 31 on the freeview box, that is how I watch television, so no cable subscription.

But yeah, I completed when I got it, and yes, not a special game, but certainly the car is the focus, and it is inspired from a few of the episodes. I do plan on getting a copy of the sequel that was released a couple of years after, that included weapons with it, it would of needed something to give it more punch for action. I guess nobody has played that?

The first game has a purple colour disc, not sure about the second. I own a few games like that, London racer 2, SSX tricky, that would of been the first game batch released with the PS2 on launch. As well as, 18 wheeler pro American trucker, they all spin quite fast.

Kittfan, I see, I had an original PS2, the twenty hundred model, about sixteen years ago, had I stored the one I had the following year, properly, it would of still worked till this day, it stopped reading cd's properly, it probably needed a laser clean, but at the time, I just wasn't up for messing about with it, buying some cleaning liquid for it, and all that. I recycled it.
My game is actually the sequel, Knight Rider2 and haven't even found yet the original Knight Rider game for PS2.
My PS2 is the SCPH-30004 version and PAL system. I guess it's not the first version but still definetely has the original big case.
Just checked, the Knight Rider 2 game has also purple disc. I only have 4 games for PS2 so far and only one other game, Intellivision Lives! has purple disc too. The rest are silver but they are Platinum versions of the Gran Turismo 3: A-spec and Gran Turismo 4 so maybe it's because they are Platinum versions? I'm not excactly a PS2 expert yet :D

krps2
Volunteer

Post by krps2 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:12 pm

I don't know about the cd's, but the purple was the original PS2 disc, they changed to silver with many other games.

Strange for the sequel to be purple. I remember Crazy taxi in 2002 was also another purple.

Now that I recall, I did play the demo of Knight rider ten or more years on windows XP. I definitely get the 2 copy, it sounds better from the reviews on Amazon UK.

I recently got a copy of the Xbox gun, and the House of the dead game. Thought why not try that out while I still have a working cathode ray tube television.

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:53 pm

Never actually seen a copy of either of those, as they were supposedly European only releases. (No idea if there is region lock out to deal with.)

However, I have seen a video play through of...believe the first one. Got to say they had some really forced plots in it. But, were giving some fan service by bringing back both KARR and Garthe. (I think Garthe rebuilt KARR...or something like that.) Found it really funny when KARR kidnapped Bonnie and challenged Michael and KITT to a race for her life on the test track. Or, what about the stage where Garthe makes his getaway in that heli...and has to follow the windy road and go really slowly, rather then doing what a helicopter is best at doing and fly over the mountain range. (Then, I think he punished his pilot for coming to save him. I mean...what the???)

Where Knight Rider video games are concerned, we've had a generous serving. And as mediocre as these two may have been, they may have been closer then the first wave ever were. I'm most familiar with the NES one, where KITT has to drive around the United States (rarely did KITT leave California. In those dozen or so episodes, he did get out of the country and at least half way across the US.) to do some rather forced plot points. All the while, having the worst gas mileage around (180 degree point. Kitt had the best and only needed refueling once per entire season.) while going gun crazy with all the laser and ground-to-air missiles he could pack. (Because weapons on a passive vehicle makes sense.) All the while, some mannequin in Michael's clothes was seated in the driver's seat, protected by shields...a train wreck of liberties, taken. Yet, somehow that one was better then the several others which looked and drove far worse. (Though, I have to take Let's Player's experiences on that one. Although, one slightly redeems itself by including an investigation feature where Michael gets out and actually stealths his way through warehouses and such. It's no Metal Gear Solid level of play. (Like, NES grade MGS.) But, better then always driving about.)

As for the PS3...hmmmm... I am aware that Gran Theft Auto was doing all those upgrades that eventually included the 'Ruiner 2000'...which is a mock tribute to KITT. No idea of the patch ended up on the PS3 or not. So, that may be something.

And keeping a PS2 up and running is relatively possible. The lens does get dirty with use. Although not as easy as the top loading PS1, I found a good can of compressed air could rig that lens back into operation for a short while. Sony has since improved their disc reading technology.

KITTfan
FLAG Operative

Post by KITTfan » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:15 am

Here's pics of my PS2 version of the Knight Rider 2 game, front and back cover, inside the case and the purple disc. Until now I thought PS2 uses DVD discs for games but Knight Rider 2 game is in CD format. Checked out GT3 and GT4 and they are DVD discs though.

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:52 am

I've actually forgotten about how PlayStations used different format discs for different amounts of data storage. Thanks to the DVD reading optics, the PS2 could take advantage of the higher DVD storage medium or the regular CD grade. And now that I am thinking about it, I do seem to recall having a dislike for the DVD reading option of the PS2. It seemed like the discs (at least the movies) had to be nearly perfect to avoid issues. I mean issues that almost any other dedicated DVD player of the day wouldn't even consider to be a problem at all.

Such issues were worked out with the PS3 & 4. So...be extra careful with them PS2 DVD games.

krps2
Volunteer

Post by krps2 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:37 pm

Hey there, Well the second game was an improvement.

I did complete it last year i think now. Would of been around about that time. I have only loaded the games a few times since, but I have forgotten the mission of the last game.

Assasinge
FLAG Assistant

Post by Assasinge » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:31 pm

I beat the 2nd game as well. Did you know Davilex produced a Miami Vice game as well? Yeah, if you don't know you're not alone. Wanna take a guess as to how well it went?

About as well as KITT's scanner flying off the hood. But agreed krps2, KRTG2 is better than the first but my only serious issue with it is that KITT has weapons which he never used and goes against KITT's core principles. Though I suppose you could argue that they're simply robots he's destroying, but that's another debate for another time.

krps2
Volunteer

Post by krps2 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:59 pm

Hmm, I think the problem with making a game based off a film, is it has to be made so that it isn't too static, the first game portrayed that. It is cool for those who like the fantasy of an AI vehicle, but for a game, it has to have some buzz to it.

I believe I may of played that game in very early in 2008, but it wasn't all that, from what little I can remember of it. I bought it at a UK game shop, the sales person was an American. He definitely stood out.

jup
FLAG Operative

Post by jup » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:05 am

On the notion of a more modern Knight Rider...I have caught some VineSauce videos about something on the PS4 called Dreams. Seems to be a kind of game building and sharing platform. No idea just how far this platform can go. But, seems quite powerful. May be a great avenue for building that dream KR game in.

Alas, my PS4 is a dust collector. Should connect it up and find out more about this Dreams thing.

Speaking of which, here's some Dreams footage from said stream of a Donkey Kong Kart style game. Warning: Vinny is swearing a few times during the whole video. I started seconds after one such curse.

https://youtu.be/3mw_hRHQ5lc?t=699

Tony Trout
Volunteer

Post by Tony Trout » Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:07 pm

Since I just recently got bitten again by the KR "bug", I found both games on Ebay and I'm looking into buying them and a used PS2 when I get the $$$. I've seen YouTube videos of both games being played and that was one big reason I've been wanting to get both games and a PS2. I've got a PS4 and a mini-NES Classic, X-Box 360, & an X-Box One S.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:36 pm

If you're into modding games on pc as many people like to do, I highly recommend GTA5 for pc. My team and I spent months working on this great car mod. I brought it over from the gta4 team I was on with permission from the creator who I helped refine the mod, assisted with graphic changes, visual aides from thousands of pics I've collected online of kitt, packaging the mod, creating an instruction manual and uploading it to the site, other steps, along the way. Assasinge here was nice enough to make an installation video for the car and tutorial on how to get everything including the scanner light working (link in the notepad to his video).

I may never own a knight rider replica but that's as close as I'm going to get to putting something knight rider related out into the world for people to enjoy. This took about 6 months to get it just right from beginning to end, Used an online translator to communicate to my team in their language, found people to create the scanner mod. Had someone who tried to steal the mod and take credit for themselves. Had to search under every stone for modders who could continue the work with me by releasing an unfinished version to test the waters and see if I could get any bites. Through out all of this, when I wanted to give up on so much of the work and say dead end or good enough when it was crap, all I could hear was Wilton Knight's inspiring words "One man can make a difference." and that kept pushing me from quitting the work on it.

https://www.gta5-mods.com/vehicles/knig ... eoadrianoj

It's been downloaded over 23,000 times. Enough so that Rockstar got jealous after the first 10k and made their own kitt car mod for their GTA online mode you can buy in game. Here's a video demonstrating the car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgEE3mUs6hA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXFpAOjucRs

SPM Mode Kitt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ERoZF17qV4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=febWSZ-0j5w

Tony Trout
Volunteer

Post by Tony Trout » Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:46 pm

Does anybody know if there is a safe place online to download and play "Knight Rider" & "Knight Rider 2" PS2 games to my computer (at least until I can afford to buy a PS2 and the two games)????

TheStone2203
Stranger

Post by TheStone2203 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:22 pm

Knight Racer wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 12:36 pm
If you're into modding games on pc as many people like to do, I highly recommend GTA5 for pc. My team and I spent months working on this great car mod. I brought it over from the gta4 team I was on with permission from the creator who I helped refine the mod, assisted with graphic changes, visual aides from thousands of pics I've collected online of kitt, packaging the mod, creating an instruction manual and uploading it to the site, other steps, along the way. Assasinge here was nice enough to make an installation video for the car and tutorial on how to get everything including the scanner light working (link in the notepad to his video).

I may never own a knight rider replica but that's as close as I'm going to get to putting something knight rider related out into the world for people to enjoy. This took about 6 months to get it just right from beginning to end, Used an online translator to communicate to my team in their language, found people to create the scanner mod. Had someone who tried to steal the mod and take credit for themselves. Had to search under every stone for modders who could continue the work with me by releasing an unfinished version to test the waters and see if I could get any bites. Through out all of this, when I wanted to give up on so much of the work and say dead end or good enough when it was crap, all I could hear was Wilton Knight's inspiring words "One man can make a difference." and that kept pushing me from quitting the work on it.

https://www.gta5-mods.com/vehicles/knig ... eoadrianoj

It's been downloaded over 23,000 times. Enough so that Rockstar got jealous after the first 10k and made their own kitt car mod for their GTA online mode you can buy in game. Here's a video demonstrating the car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgEE3mUs6hA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXFpAOjucRs

SPM Mode Kitt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ERoZF17qV4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=febWSZ-0j5w
Thanks for the links! I'll take a look by downloading it, but sounds like a great story of development. We need more dedicated developers like you. Thanks for your work!
Turns out Rockstar's KITT version was quite mediocre... And yeah, one man can definitely make a difference ;)
"Right away Michael!" :kitt:

WittgenTT5/Rstein
Operative

Post by WittgenTT5/Rstein » Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:12 pm

Tony Trout wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:46 pm
Does anybody know if there is a safe place online to download and play "Knight Rider" & "Knight Rider 2" PS2 games to my computer (at least until I can afford to buy a PS2 and the two games)????
There's a torrent on TPB IIRC.
Rstein, the supercomputer on wheels.

Tony Trout
Volunteer

Post by Tony Trout » Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:24 pm

WittgenTT5/Rstein wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:12 pm
Tony Trout wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:46 pm
There's a torrent on TPB IIRC.

Are there any other sites where I might find the games? TPB isn't available here in the U.S.

krrdr2010
FLAG Recruit

Post by krrdr2010 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:17 pm

I would love them do a KNIGHT RIDER Game for PS5 and X-Box.