(Script) Discovery of 1982 KITT in 2012

This forum contains discussions about all things Knight Rider.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

gold444
Stranger
antispam: No
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 1982

(Script) Discovery of 1982 KITT in 2012

Post by gold444 » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:01 pm

KNIGHT DISCOVERY
A script outlining a realistic discovery of 1982 KITT in 2012.

Interior, university dorm.

It had been with great difficulty that Materials Science major James White and Computer Information Systems major Gianni Nannini had finally been able to get their hands on that coveted letter. The letter that they had been eagerly awaiting for the last year.

James and Gianni, third year students at MIT university, had mixed feelings when Gianni began reading out loud.

G: "...know that you both concluded impressive internships with Dr. Patrese for UCTU center this year. With regards to your request; I would hereby like to confirm that, after being assured of not making a mistake by Dr. Patrese, I have made available to you two access passes to the materials and software warehousing facilities at the UCTU center. Good luck on your thesis guys!"

J: "Damn."

G: "Did I miss something? We would refer to this as good news on a normal day."

J: "Gianni, it is great news. But we didn't count on it, and you know we had planned to do the thesis on polymer characterisation. A walk in the park,... Now we have the go ahead it means the doors have opened to the rough road. It just dawned on me that we'll be getting little sleep the next 8 months!"

G: "Ain't it great!"

J: <smiles>

G: Think of the data! Microsensor polymer chemistry, working with live nextgen photonic materials, analysing computing nanostructures! Half the guys in our class will refuse to even believe we have access to the lab! Let alone the old warehouses!

J: <rolls eyes> Here we go again. The warehouses?

G: Come on,.. you heard the same things as me, not only is UCTA the global hub for bluechip companies but they're also supposed to have heaps of old government data.

J: <joking> Weatherbaloons?

G: Don't you dare start whistling the X-files tune. Old government projects, declassified by now but still interesting. Weatherballoons, data from those atmosphere experiments of the 60's. Untold military research, all collecting dust. All worth checking out.

J: <Winks at Gianni>

Weeks later, inside UCTA research labs, archiving room. Gianni is behind a monitor, James is walking around the room while reading a folder.

J: What do you mean nothing? Damnit! Nothing on optoelectronics either. Great. What about practical mesoscopic physics and photonics?

G: It's not that it isn't showing hits,... But they are all research currently classified as off limits intellectual property.

J: Nobody wants us stealing their great ideas.

G: <laughs> Who will steal OUR ideas then?,... wait mesoscopic physics and plasmonics in microprocessors, for that there is one entry dated 1981 Stanford University research. Application of magnetoconductance in reversible gates for realtime neural expert systems.

J: Back in '81? That's not possible.

G: It says it right here James.

J: But isn't that far too early for that kind of research? What? Magnetoconductance in reversible gates for neural what?

G: Expert systems. I think that's 80's for some form of AI.

J: What else does it say?

G: That's it. Credited Feynman and Toffoli '81. There's an archive hall and storage room reference.

J: Warehouse huh?

G: <smiles>

J: Allright.

After wandering through many dark hallways and archival areas of the center, James and Gianni arrive at room R171-27.
Interior, darkly lit room/small lab. Some fluorescent glow. Drawers with paper archives, boxes with I/C components, etc. The whole room covered in noticeable dust.

J: What is all this? I don't think were going to find anything in here Gianni. It looks like a bunch of old research or components storage.

G: Lets look at what we have here.

Gianni starts up a loud, archaic PC on a desk, while they both start going through drawers.

G: I found a parts listing sheet with archival numbering. I guess this place was used as a final dissasembly area before storage of old computer systems.

J: Anything on what research was done?

Gianni goes through some more folders.

G: Here we go, this section has some background info. Unclassified 5-1-1994, research was done in association with Richard Feynman and Tommaso Toffoli back in '81 on the application of magnetoconductance in reversible gates to enable photonic processing in neural expert systems.

G: Including calculation of the spin-resolved subband structures, spin polarization and edge state structures, as well as prediction of the hysteresis effect and spin phase transitions.

J: Gianni.

G: Remote preparation of single-mode photonic qubits by measuring field quadrature.

J: Gianni!

G: Oh. Well as far as I can tell it's research into advanced AI systems using quantum theory. That's odd.

J: What do you mean?

G: Well if I'm reading this correctly, it's research into the known technologies and systems of the early 80's. Expert and AI systems in very basic form, logic gates, controlled swap operations. Primitive low-level computing. That all makes sense for early 80's stuff. But then the research goes into applying magnetoconductance to reversible logic gates.

J: Logic gates are how computers calculate aren't they?

G: Yeah. But it looks like they were working with a theory of inducing a quantum function into the logic gates by changing their magnetic flux. It looks like very early theoretical work on possible quantum computing in AI systems.

J: Quantum computing, we can't even do that today. I guess that explains why all the gear was dismantled and archived away right?

Gianni is silent, reading the last sentences on that page in a barely audible whisper.

J: Gianni?

Gianni looks at James and says nothing.

J: What?

G: It says here they succeeded.

INTERIOR Room R171-27

J: Succeeded at what?

G: It appears that while at Stanford, Feynman and Toffoli, at considerable research and development costs to the investor (Knight Industries) succeeded in making an AI system based on this theorem. The development was classified intellectual property by the investor and neither Stanford nor Feynman or Toffoli were allowed to divulge the details of the research.

J: An AI system?

G: A self aware cybernetic logic module. Full Turing compliancy reached Aug 11 '81.

J: It passed the Turing test back in '81? That can't be. How come we never heard about it?

G: From what I can make out the costs of development and the enforced secrecy of the participating researchers. Knight Industries' annual research budget for their designation FLAG project was at $1,100,400,000 in '81. What's that, about twice as much in '12 money?

J: Four times as much if you factor material costs. Designation FLAG project?

G: Stands for: Foundation for Law and Government

J: I don't understand? Law and government?

G: It appears that the AI was only a part of the package. From what I can make out of these process requirements, the goal of the project was to create an autonomously operating heavily armored vehicle for government or military use. A sort of super tank I suppose.

J: Ok, but we don't have thinking tanks today, so what happened?

G: Costs. It was simply too expensive for mass production. It's amazing what they can make if all they have to do is just make one.

J: So did they abandon the idea or?

G: It looks like they, this FLAG project of Knight Industries, had one fully completed autonomous vehicle unit. Just a normal roadlegal automobile. It was operational until disassembly in '87.

James stands by the desk and looks through some documents.

J: Are these the specifications of the armor materials?

G: Yeah.

J: Wow, this stuff is exotic compounds 101. I can't even recognize half the stuff on this page. It looks like they started off with simply a pure grade '80's steel. Then they bonded exotic polymer nanocomposites into the steel molecules helically. Tri-Helical Plasteel 1000 MBS. It then goes on to describe various pyroclastic coatings. Chemical property figures, surface tension, thermal conductivity, the frame tolerance; all these figures are through the roof.

G: I thought you might like that. It gets better. You wanna see the parts?

J: Your kidding?

G: No the parts from dissasembly were stored here in storage area R171-12C

Inside storage area R171-12c The area/room is dark, very dusty, on the right of the room, against the wall, is the loose outline of what looks like a car covered in loose plastic sheets, various parts surround it. Several electronis parts, I/C boards are in boxes and drawers around the room. Gianni flicks on a dim light.

J: Jesus. Is that it?

G: Yeah.

Gianni takes the loose plastic coverings and in one move, uncovers the car. We see the frame and bodyshell of KITT, covered in dust, doors intact. Left rear wheel missing. A lot of dust and storage dirt covers the car.

J: What? An old Corvette? This is crazy, all that research and they ended up with a computerised armored Corvette? This whole concept is nuts.

G: Says here, Pontiac Firebird Trans Am, third generation.

Gianni and James stare at the car.

J: It looks,... viable.

James sits down on a crate, and starts going through some boxes. He finds some small credit card shaped black metal parts. He takes one and examines it. It looks dusty and dirty, but shines immediately after James wipes it with his finger.

J: Gianni, do you have that fancy Italian lighter of yours?

Gianni throws him a blue flame lighter.

James proceeds to light the blue flame lighter and tries to scorch the card. Initially the dust and dirt on it flare up slightly, then there is only the blue flame coming into contact with the surface. The surface shows no reaction to the flame. James examines the card, puzzled, he lights the lighter again onto it.

J: Amazing.

G: What?

James extinguishes the flame and throws the card at Gianni. In a reflex action Gianni catches what is thrown at him, then thinking it is hot subconsiously starts juggling the card from hand to hand. He then realises the card is cold.

G: It's cold. That is amazing.

Gianni examines the card, throws it back and starts looking at the list in his hand.

G: It says the components of the logic circuits should be in some of these drawers.

Both students start going through the drawers and boxes looking for parts.

J: Are these it?

James finds a box with some computer chip components in silvercoated ziplock bags. James opens a bag and looks inside. The circuitboards are not green but a dirty yellow, and the chip components look like they do today but are larger, more oversized.

J: It says alpha circuits and Knight2000 logic board and CPU.

G: That's it, lets see.

James brings the components over to Gianni, who has turned on a small light on the desk he is sitting at. They open the bags and carefully place the components on the desk. A few motherboards and other pieces, a metal box that looks like a speaker. Various other components.

J: It looks ancient. Look at the size of those chips.

Gianni has found a large magnifying glass attached to the lamp and starts examining the pieces.

G: This is so strange. The resistors, capacitors, the I/O and backplanes are all archaic technology. But I've never seen processor chips like this before...

Gianni looks at James.

G: ...You know it should still work.

J: What?

G: Apart from a few marks it looks pretty much undamaged, hooked up to the right voltage we may be able to get it to work.

J: Are you sure?

G: Yeah, making this stuff is hard, but to turn it on, all you need is to get a current to run through it.

Gianni, examines the pieces under the magnifying glass. Starts soldering a few small spots on the motherboards. Examines the parts further.

G: Hand me that transformer.

J: This one?

G: Yeah. The circuitboards have some voltage damage, I think this solder should fix it.

Gianni is testing voltages using a voltmeter and is constantly checking circuit schematics. He looks puzzled at the circuit boards.

G: I don't understand.

J: What is it?

G: It should be working.

J: Could the other parts be damaged?

G: No I checked the voltage through the circuits.

J: And the readings were normal?

G: Yeah, it should be functioning now.

J: Maybe we left out a part?

Suddenly the students hear Gianni's voice coming out of the speaker on the table. The sound appears to consist of soundbites that James and Gianni have spoken.

"...checked the voltage through the circuits, the readings were normal. It should be functioning now."

The students look at each other in confusion.

"...voltage through the circuits... the readings were normal... should be functioning now."
"...the readings were normal... should be functioning now."
"...readings...normal...functioning...now"

G: O my god.

J: What was that?

J: Can it hear us?

"... I don't understand... Can it hear us...all you need is to get a current to run through it."
"... I don't...can it hear...all you need is to get a current..."
"... I...can it hear...all you..."
"... I...can...hear...you"

Knight Rider, Knight Industries and Knight2000 are property of Universal Pictures.
The personas, ideas and storylines presented in this screenplay are intellectual property of EO (teamno1-no spam-@-nospam-yahoo-nospam-.com). Feel free to contact me.

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Re: (Script) Discovery of 1982 KITT in 2012

Post by Knight Racer » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:57 am

I haven't read a fan fic since the early 90's.Some of the more memorable ones I loved were Soul Survivor by Elfin,knight rider 1998/Legends,Rusted Trust,TKR2,and most of the ones on knight writers online.I read your sample and it sounds great.Looking forward to reading more of it.Will you be writing up the rest soon?

Sikisken
Stranger

Post by Sikisken » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:08 pm

New member here.

MY GOD.

This script is great!!!! It sent shivers down my spine. Can't believe no one picked this up.

All the science jargon is also incredibly accurate. Its liek the knight rider was just a tv show about a talking car but this is like a Dark Knight realistic version sequal. Like if KITT had been real but disassembled and was rediscoveed today. This is exactly how I'd imagine it would be found in 2017.

Will you be writing more?

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Knight Racer » Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:49 am

His last post was June 2, 2012. I highly doubt he's on this forum anymore.

jup
FLAG Operative
Location: SD, CA. USA | Web site: http://www.jupircbot.8m.com (jup's KR game project 'ghosts' here)

Post by jup » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:57 pm

Yup. "Posts: 1" Highly doubt this person has been revisiting in all this time. However, with the e-mail system back up and running, there's always a chance that the praise can be heard.

krrdr2010
FLAG Recruit

Post by krrdr2010 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:52 pm

Nice.