How dedicated is Justin to being Michael Knight?

Archive for discussions from 2008. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

DevonStyles
FLAG Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

How dedicated is Justin to being Michael Knight?

Post by DevonStyles » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:01 am

In reading the Hoff's book he mentions the phrase He became Michael Knight. Everone called him that. He took the car out on tours and car shows across the country and the world just to get the show bigger. He did all this to make the show bigger, himself as well but I think you guys get my point.

We have not really seen Justin do much of anything for the show, outside of filiming the episodes and a little bit of of your standard show promo. This is not intended to insult Justin by any means. I think if he was to do some things like that, take it to shows etc, it could really help the show out.

Curious to everone's thoughts on it.
edited by the good folks at knightrideronline

JJSoCrazy
FLAG Assistant

Re: How dedicated is Justin to being Michael Knight?

Post by JJSoCrazy » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:31 am

I like that idea. DH did a lot of that which is why everywhere he goes they call him Michael Knight (as he says in interviews and shows he goes on). I hope Justin does something like this soon! It may help keep the show alive.

Joe

Tony P Knight Driver
Operative

Post by Tony P Knight Driver » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:48 am

I agree. Hoff made apperences at Childrens Hopitals as Micheal Knight,let kids talk in the comlink.
Really played the role up for the fans, whihc is what the fans want. Alot of fans want to see the character come to life in front of them, not just meet the actor.

I dont see Justin doing anything like that. In fact he seemed a bit distant on the parade video.
Hoff did everything he could to make Knight Rider a sucessful show,by supporting the fans that supported the show. John Schnider did the same for Dukes of Hazzard.Both very sucessful shows.

I was very surprised that although Justin knows about our petition to save Knight Rider, he didn't bother to sign it or even acknowledge it. Paul Cambell and Smith Cho signed it. You would think the lead actor would want the show to avoid cancellation, and try to help in any way he could.

A few surprise visits with a black mustang, on various TV shows Leno, Connan,30 rock, heck even doing a walk in on ER as Micheal Knight looking for a bath room would help promote the show.Personally I'd like to see Micheal Knight (Justin) walk by William Daniels (hear his voice) and stop, doing a double take, kinda like Dirk Benedict did in the A-Team with the Cylon.

OK I just had a cool Idea, Justin and KITT host Saturday Night Live
Tony P.
The Knight Driver
Keep Knight Rider Rolling
One Person Can Make a Difference.
SUPPORT KNIGHT RIDER!
http://www.gopetition.com/online/23816.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

KRShelby
Rookie

Post by KRShelby » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:00 pm

To be fair though... at this point, the show's continuity is still in the air. While yes it would be awesome for him to be that excited to be Michael Knight but, having the show's continuity not solid, what if it randomly gets canceled? Its like putting too much dedication into something so sketchy at this point. I'm sure if we get a second season we'll see more of him. On top of that, again to be fair, there are many that don't like the new show; to go around as "michael knight" would honestly just cast negativity towards him.

On the petition thing though, while it is a good idea and I signedi t too, its really hard for us to verify if the real Paul Campbell/ Smith Cho signed it (Unless I missed something where they disclosed that they did do it).

Just my 2 cents.. but I do hope that he takes a similar path to the Hoff in portraying his character.

spooky
Recruit

Post by spooky » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:03 pm

Tony P Knight Driver wrote:I was very surprised that although Justin knows about our petition to save Knight Rider, he didn't bother to sign it or even acknowledge it. Paul Cambell and Smith Cho signed it. You would think the lead actor would want the show to avoid cancellation, and try to help in any way he could.

whoops, wish i read this thread earlier. didn't know there was a petition. i just saw Justin the other day and was talking to him about the show. oh well, maybe next time...

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:19 pm

KRShelby wrote: On the petition thing though, while it is a good idea and I signedi t too, its really hard for us to verify if the real Paul Campbell/ Smith Cho signed it (Unless I missed something where they disclosed that they did do it).
Check this post made by Sue. :good:
viewtopic.php?f=1046&t=13129#p156468" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I haven't signed it yet because I want to see where things are really heading before I do.

I don't think you can't blame him for not going "on tour" with the car, for one they were pretty much working non-stop for much of the last year and there's still a lot of work that needs to be done. Like what was already said, maybe during the second season, if it gets one but even still with kids, unless they do something with the car's interior there's not a whole lot that's going to be "wowing" any kids from seeing the car in person, there's not much there aside from the scanner. Times have also changed a lot in the last 26 years to where I doubt they could even get much clearance to go around promoting the show in a manner as the original. Besides there is a lot of negativity attached to the show that the original obviously didn't have. Plus Hasselhoff is obviously a lot more of an extrovert while Justin doesn't seem as out going and shy. At this point it might be in his best interest to just steer clear whenever possible until the show hopefully able to find some footing, success and acceptance. I'm sure that if a kid from the Make a Wish Foundation or whatever wanted to meet him, the other members of the cast, KITT or whatever they would do it in a heartbeat but first they need to get more people and a lot more kids interested in the show, a show more parents might let them watch and hopefully along with them. :P
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

standgeo
Volunteer

Post by standgeo » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:45 pm

Well imo times have changed. Kids are not interested in the car as we once were. Hi tech is something they are familiar since they are born. For us, the older ones, Kitt was something really out of anything we knew till then. Expect this, Kitt had his own personallity, he was like friend to us. The new Kitt still needs a lot in order to call him friend.
The last difference is Hof. Most of the children then knew him as Knight and he enjoyed it. He never tried to point the difference between acting and his real life. Maybe it's too early to judge Justin about his position on that. Will see after the restart and definately if we hopefully get a season two.

Mr.Marcus
FLAG Recruit

Post by Mr.Marcus » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:41 pm

The difference is that KR 82 was a massive hit from the beginning. KR 08 just got its episodes cut back and its future is in doubt. Plus, the Hoff's personality is a bit more boisterous. Just recently they snapped a pic of his Audi R8 with a sticker of his website plastered all over his car.

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Mon Dec 22, 2008 2:45 pm

To be fair, Hasselhoff also believes he is either fully or partially responsible for the collapse of the Berlin Wall, too. There is a particular amount of self delusion involved with his acting style, apparently, but it all worked out for the best because I thought the role fit him like a glove.

And Justin has done a certain amount of PR work for the premiere of the now show including appearances at NBC Headquarters in Burbank, CA, and The Today Show in NY, as well as the San Diego Comic Con, etc. I wouldn't blame Justin if his public appearances don't equal that of Hasselhoff's; I would blame NBC and the producers. Also, the new show's ratings aren't high even compared with the original series, perhaps taking away opportunities to appear on other outlets like The Tonight Show, for example.
“Gimme maximum turbo thrust and blast me outta here, will ya!?”
:kitt: :dash4:

My_Friend_KITT
FLAG Assistant

Post by My_Friend_KITT » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:18 pm

Justin is an awesome Mike Knight...He is not supposed to be his dad.

David Hasselhoff and Justin Bruening are different people with different agents. Doesn't the agent set him up with many of the PR stuff as well as NBC. He just goes where they tell him.

Justin does an awesome job making me believe that he is talking and working with a car. His work in Hard Days Knight was the best.
That is a computer not a sofa.......Knight of the Drones

A firsthand viewer of Knight Rider '08!
And I LOVED it!

Tony P Knight Driver
Operative

Post by Tony P Knight Driver » Mon Dec 22, 2008 3:54 pm

Hey I am not complaining about Justin's acting ability. I have said more than once he is doing a great job interacting with KITT. I liked th interaction in Knight of the Zodiac & Hard Days Knight.
Heck he did a really good job in the movie,let alone the series.

I guess in fairness I should wait to see what happens with the show, before judging his commitment, but they should still host SNL.

I also think he should have,if not already, in the near future sign the petition in support of saving the show.

My two cents.
Tony P.
The Knight Driver
Keep Knight Rider Rolling
One Person Can Make a Difference.
SUPPORT KNIGHT RIDER!
http://www.gopetition.com/online/23816.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

knightofthephoenix
Operative

Post by knightofthephoenix » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:04 am

Keep in mind Knight Rider 2008 isn't kid-friendly like the original series was, as much as it should be.

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:28 am

KR08 isn't quite as popular as the original series was. And also, Hasselhoff is someone who wholeheartedly enjoys his fame. While sometimes he takes it a little too far, I do prefer his attitude to most actors/actresses. They are so anal about being separate from their characters.
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:02 pm

Yes I think he is dedicated to Knight Rider.. a pitty other's to share that on the show..

Lynda414
FLAG Assistant

Post by Lynda414 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:45 am

Hehehe, I would love to see KITT on SNL. I'm surprised the orginal KITT wasn't. I don't know so much about Mike Knight, but having the car there would rule. I can just imagine the skits they would have.

And kids are still into cars. My two year old is a car nut. Going for a walk with him is a blast because he is pointing at everything (cars, buses, trucks, vans) and saying "Car!" He loves KITT as well ^_^ I am going to try to get him to say 'KITT' whenever he sees him, instead of just 'car'

And, my six year old daughter would rather play with matchbox cars than barbies. I know that if either of them ever saw KITT (original or new) somewhere, they would think he utterly ruled.

_K3000_
Operative

Post by _K3000_ » Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:03 pm

Yeah he is dedicated to the show trust me. But NBC should wake up and let him go to shows or some stuff and promote the show with KITT :)
"We Can Make A Difference" Help Support The Show

ianruk
Rookie

Post by ianruk » Thu Dec 25, 2008 6:20 pm

A lot of people bad mouth him and say he isnt good as the lead

i disagree so much he has the look the humor the skills and everything to be michael knight
and im glad they picked him for the lead,he fits in well

Lynda414
FLAG Assistant

Post by Lynda414 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:50 pm

I think that he's a bit awkward in the part. But that's nothing that can't be fixed with practice.

PHOENIXZERO
FLAG Special Ops

Post by PHOENIXZERO » Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:40 am

I think part of the issues have to do with whomever is directing not doing their job as they should.

Either way, there's no set rules for how Mike should act yet. He doesn't have to act like Michael did, but at least in some ways, maybe be reminiscent of his old man. Which I think they at least somewhat got across with his being uhh "distracted" by the ladies..
The new and again improved evil's advertisement is currently too long and too badass to display here. But let's just say that with now 50% more evil, this **** is great! :twisted: :skar:

BlueChaos
FLAG Recruit

Post by BlueChaos » Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:19 pm

PHOENIXZERO wrote:I think part of the issues have to do with whomever is directing not doing their job as they should.

Either way, there's no set rules for how Mike should act yet. He doesn't have to act like Michael did, but at least in some ways, maybe be reminiscent of his old man. Which I think they at least somewhat got across with his being uhh "distracted" by the ladies..
But it seems that Billy gets the better women lately...
"If Darth Vader had a KITT bathroom, then he would have ruled the galaxy far far away since a long long time ago..." *LASER!* :good:

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:34 am

I know we all want new new KR characters to be like the ones from TOS, but I think we shouldn't make them clones(when it comes to their personality),but I feel that way especially with KI3T for some reason.
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

Lynda414
FLAG Assistant

Post by Lynda414 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:57 am

Not really saying that the characters should be like the ones in TOS, just saying it would be cool to see more of the actors doing KR stuff off the set.

Sky_Blue_Civic
FLAG Operative

Post by Sky_Blue_Civic » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:08 pm

Lynda414 wrote:Not really saying that the characters should be like the ones in TOS, just saying it would be cool to see more of the actors doing KR stuff off the set.
That's what I meant... :|
Congratulations!By reading this signature,KITT's AWESOMENESS has increased by ONE POINT!
So far KITT's power level is OVER 9,000!!!!
Petition #9

cloudkitt
FLAG Operative

Post by cloudkitt » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:47 pm

Lynda414 wrote:And kids are still into cars. My two year old is a car nut. Going for a walk with him is a blast because he is pointing at everything (cars, buses, trucks, vans) and saying "Car!"
My first word, I'm told, was "car" 8)
Michael: "KITT! Where are ya?!"
K.I.T.T.: "I'm in your parking space, Michael, where else would I be?"

Lynda414
FLAG Assistant

Post by Lynda414 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:16 pm

Sky_Blue_Civic wrote:
Lynda414 wrote:Not really saying that the characters should be like the ones in TOS, just saying it would be cool to see more of the actors doing KR stuff off the set.
That's what I meant... :|
Oh, when you said characters, I got confused.

And not talking about doing the exact same stuff the TOS actors did, really. Just 'something' would be nice, is all.