English Section at Knight-Rider.pl

Archive for discussions from 2006. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Fenix The Best
Recruit
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

English Section at Knight-Rider.pl

Post by Fenix The Best » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:41 am

Lately at http://www.Knight-Rider.pl our admin had created an english section on our forum, for all the users from outside Poland.

It would be nice if some of you guys could visit it and post a message or two. :)

Here is the adress:
http://www.knight-rider.pl/forum/viewforum.php?f=22

and hope to read from you soon. :)

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:32 pm

Problem is, the links and registration is all in Polish and so I can't register because I don't know polish enough to know where to click and what to fill in what blank. :( I clicked the English flag in the upper right and that didn't change the language of the links, etc.

Fenix The Best
Recruit

Post by Fenix The Best » Sat Dec 09, 2006 6:47 am

FuzzieDice wrote:Problem is, the links and registration is all in Polish and so I can't register because I don't know polish enough to know where to click and what to fill in what blank. :( I clicked the English flag in the upper right and that didn't change the language of the links, etc.

Strange.
But I'm sure we will fix this as soon as we can.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sun Dec 10, 2006 5:23 pm

I'll keep my eyes open. Thank you.

It's funny, I grew up with our family speaking Polish but they refused to allow us kids to learn it saying it's "only for the adults so the kids can't understand what we are saying." So they had no sense of preserving culture. I even listened to polish music growing up and never was taught much of what it said. My dad seemed like he didn't really know polish because I never heard him actually speak it. I think that's another reason I never learned it.

Fenix The Best
Recruit

Post by Fenix The Best » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:41 pm

Polish is one of the hardest languages to learn. But after all, if in your family were people who knew Polish (and probably had Polish roots), it wouldn't be such a bad thing if they would teach you at least few words or phrases.

So they had no sense of preserving culture.
I see it as a quite odd. Poles usually were fighting til death to preserve their language, culture.

I even listened to polish music growing up
Interesting. What kind of music, artists or groups?

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:34 pm

I can't go into detail in the public forum but I'm not too happy with they way I had to grow up and even many others outside the family thought things were more than just a little "odd".

I'm only 3rd generation born in the USA so I guess I would be more Americanized. But I really wish I had learned some of the language. Like I said, I don't think even my dad knew Polish enough to speak it. He admitted once to not knowing what they were saying, and not knowing what was on the 8-track polka tapes we would often listen to in the house. I never knew what bands or anything. Just stuff he'd pick up in the department store that said "Polkas" on it. I am not sure it was true polka. I mean just a bunch of high-pitched sounding guys hollering "EYEEE YIEEE YIEEEEEEEEEE" over and over in 3/4 time with accordians. LOL! Seriously that is all I remember of it. Now my mother (who was Lithuanian" had some German folk music albums and I remember some of the sound of the words (but couldn't spell them here, etc.) One year way back after both my parents are deceased, I went to a German fest and they played a lot of the songs I remember from my mother's records! Talk about nastalgia! I loved the event but never had funds or time to go back again. I hope maybe one of these years again soon. I keep saying "next year" but who knows. There's no Polish Fest close enough for me to get to, unfortunatley.

To make matters worse, kids in school that knew I was Polish would treat me like I was a piece of trash. My parents always said there was a some animosity between Poles and Italians. And we lived in a predominantly Italian neighborhood. But back then, everyone though anyone Polish was an idiot, and something to laugh at and torment. Bad area to live in I guess. It did change to very multi-national as the years went on. I still live in the area and nothing like it used to be, thankfully.

The only time the kids actually were nice to me is when they started wearing the "Solidarity" buttons when Poland was fighting for freedom and then suddenly, since I was Polish they started pittying me as if I was living in Poland and not the US and so I must be devastated or something. I was actually rooting for the Polish folks, yes, but not in a "fake" manor that most of the kids did because they were "told to" by the teachers in the school lest they get punished for acting "inappropriate", etc.

Sick world over here in them days. Things like that probably wouldn't fly these days. EVERYONE I think is treated more equally now days.

It wasn't very fun growing up, that's for sure. :(

Fenix The Best
Recruit

Post by Fenix The Best » Sat Dec 16, 2006 12:44 pm

Actually Polka is Chech music. :P
People usually consider "Polka" as Polish, because of the similarity between word "Polka" - "Polska".

I've just "pm-ed" you. ;)

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:13 pm

That makes sense, with that and also another thing I mentioned in PM that you mentioned was actually Russian and not Polish. :)