Season 2 DVDs beginning to appear

Archive for discussions from 2005. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

neps
Site Administrator
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Season 2 DVDs beginning to appear

Post by neps » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:17 pm

Earlier today I got an email from a guy who found the Season 2 DVD at his WalMart in Jacksonville FL, and I just received my review copy and others ;) )today! Can't believe it's finally here. The set is indeed thinner since the packagings cases have changed. If anyone has questions about it, let me know. I hope to have a review up by the weekend.
Last edited by neps on Sun May 22, 2005 4:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:21 pm

Are there double-sided disks again? I hope not because those I'm always afraid of them getting damaged. I'm SO careful handling the 1st season ones!

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:24 pm

Yes, they are double sided discs, three of them to be exact :(

They also reduced the price of the Season 1 set, so if you look on Amazon, you may see the Season 1 listed as pre-order. Nothing has changed, just the price reduction for MSRP.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:27 pm

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:33 pm

Have you had the chance to view any episodes yet?

If so is the quality good?

Also does it contain the little dessert scences of Kitt where the ad breaks would have gone when it was on tv?

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:41 pm

I got the set while I was at work a few hours ago, so I didn't have the change to post until now. I looked briefly at Goliath and Merchants of Death and I was quite happy. Will need to look at it closer tonight.

Yep, it does include the croping into the dessert scenes with KITT. It also includes the 30 second teasers before the episode.

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:46 pm

Thanks Neps.

I think those into the desert scence are a nice touch to the episodes, since most tv showing's I have seen don't have them.

I think the onlt time I have seen them is when the show aired in the 80's on ITV here in the uk.

Can't wait to get mine.

Thanks agian for the info :D

edwardknight2007
Recruit

Post by edwardknight2007 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:33 pm

do you think the same team that did the Season 1 extras will be asked to do it again on Season 3?

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:40 pm

neps wrote:Yes, they are double sided discs, three of them to be exact :(

They also reduced the price of the Season 1 set, so if you look on Amazon, you may see the Season 1 listed as pre-order. Nothing has changed, just the price reduction for MSRP.
Wow. Same price as Season 2 but with extras. :( I paid like I think over $40 for Season one last year. Still will be nice when Season 2 arrives. I'll just have to handle the discs carefully like I do with the Season 1 discs. :)

TurbomanKnight
FLAG Operative

Post by TurbomanKnight » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:39 pm

Now for a huge question: Does S2 have the original music from the series? Thanks- Sam
Anti-Ford. 'Nuff Said.

1988 Camaro IROC-Z28
5.7 Tuned Port Injection .040 over
700R4
2.77 posi
3" Exhaust with Headers

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:56 pm

That remains still to be seen. I've gone through the first disc and everything is so far in place. The quality of the video is again beautiful :)

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:01 pm

Oooh, please tell me the set has the original music! The suspense! [drumroll] :?

Army_F_Body
FLAG Assistant

Post by Army_F_Body » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:02 pm

Does Goliath (or was it Goliath Returns) have the different going to comercial shot of KITT racing toward Goliath or the standard KITT coming towards the camera in the desert that all the others had?

I'm tempted to run out to my local Wal-Mart to check but ours never get anything on time let alone early. If I order from Amazon do you think I will get it on Tuesday in the mail or will it ship on Tuesday and I get it later in the week. I plan on getting it at Target, they got season 1 and Miami Vice on time, but some things they get way after the release date and I don't want to take any chances on this.

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:06 pm

Well this may come back and bite me in the ass, but if a song is changed I don't think we'll really miss it. Yea, the music was of its time and it put us in the decade. But it rarely was part of the episode itself. The problem where this all started with Quantum Leap was they changed it on such a memorable scene that the song was a great part to the emotion in it. If they are able to not touch the few times when it does interact, then I think we are okay even if something does change.

Regardless, I know the team behind it did all that they could, but in the end the decision doesn't fall it to the little guy down on the totem-polls hand.

And Soul Survivors music is intact. *gets creeped out* ;)

Lyn
FLAG Operative

Post by Lyn » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:12 pm

I know this may not be related to the topic of the 2nd season DVD, but when the episode "Goliath" first aired, I thought that someone else did the role of Garthe Knight, but when I found out via a TV Guide listing that David Hasselhoff himself did the role of Garthe Knight, i was shocked! :0
Now, when I'll watch that episode of "Knight Rider", I'll root for Michael and KITT even more!
I think D. Hasselhoff does villain roles a little too well, but hey, he gets out plenty of aggressions that way....;)

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:19 pm

Army_F_Body wrote:Does Goliath (or was it Goliath Returns) have the different going to comercial shot of KITT racing toward Goliath or the standard KITT coming towards the camera in the desert that all the others had?
Yep, that is there on Goliath.

Deferranfan1
Operative

Post by Deferranfan1 » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:55 pm

If you have the seinfeld dvds, that is what it will look like but knight Rider.
K.A.R.R. STILL LIVES
:kittspin:

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:37 am

Okay, Let it Be Me is intact :D

I've gone through them all and nothing is popping out, but there are a couple I want to double check

My brain has gone to Knight Rider mush

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:48 am

Army_F_Body wrote:If I order from Amazon do you think I will get it on Tuesday in the mail or will it ship on Tuesday and I get it later in the week. I plan on getting it at Target, they got season 1 and Miami Vice on time, but some things they get way after the release date and I don't want to take any chances on this.
Depends I guess where you live. I pre-ordered mine and choose the 2nd day shipping. The email they gave me said it'll be arriving (due to be delivered) at my home on the 14th. So I assume they'll be shipping pre-orderes, at least, on the 12th when it's released.

FuzzieDice
KRO Podcaster (retired)

Post by FuzzieDice » Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:49 am

neps wrote:And Soul Survivors music is intact. *gets creeped out* ;)
w00t! ;) :lol:

theevolved1
Operative

Post by theevolved1 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:55 am

neps wrote:Well this may come back and bite me in the ass, but if a song is changed I don't think we'll really miss it. Yea, the music was of its time and it put us in the decade. But it rarely was part of the episode itself. The problem where this all started with Quantum Leap was they changed it on such a memorable scene that the song was a great part to the emotion in it. If they are able to not touch the few times when it does interact, then I think we are okay even if something does change.
What is this I keep hearing about quantum leaps music changing can someone please explain it to me? I love that show it was actually one of my dads favorite shows however I dont really have the money to buy any season dvds or else Id have this to know myself along with alot of other series. The only series im able to shell out the money for is Star Trek :TOS which I own all 3 seasons and Knight Rider which I will be picking up Season 2 on its release date.

I also stopped up at the Wal-Mart I mentioned in the other post and they didnt have it yet didnt have time to run to another Wal-Mart too look. But I will surely look this Weekend when I go into work for Knight Rider Season 2 in our backstock :-D

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:01 am

neps wrote:Okay, Let it Be Me is intact :D

I've gone through them all and nothing is popping out, but there are a couple I want to double check

My brain has gone to Knight Rider mush
So far, so good. :)

Lost Knight
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Lost Knight » Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:06 am

theevolved1 wrote:What is this I keep hearing about quantum leaps music changing can someone please explain it to me?
In a nutshell, most of the original music was removed on the Season 2 set of the DVDs and replaced with generic sounding instrumental music due to copyright issues. The epiosde "M.I.A.," in which neps is talking about, is supposed to play "Georgia On My Mind" by Ray Charles during the final scene where Al dances with Beth. It is the most noticeable and complained about change. There are a handful of songs that did remain included, but the majority were removed which destroys the illusion of the time periods each episode takes place in.

The Season 1 set had been left unaltered with all its original music intact, however. Unfortunately, since the show premiered in March of 1989 as a mid-season replacement, the first season is only 8 episodes.

theevolved1
Operative

Post by theevolved1 » Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:12 am

that sucks I dont see why they would need to change it in the first place because obviously the music was licensed to appear in the episode originally so for them to change it for the DVD release is *?$# because I bet when those episodes play on TV they still have the original music in them.
Funny TKR Quote

*bling*
"Maintanence Please Report to the Recreation Room.... The Jukebox is Jammed on Moonlight at the Oasis."

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Thu Apr 07, 2005 1:19 am

the problem is that back then they never thought to licenses the music for home distribution since the technology didn't really exist in this form then. So they have to re-negotiate with the artists.

Luckly most of the Knight Rider music is custom by Don Peake, and the songs that do make it on are covers of the originals anyway, so it's usually the rights to the song, not the artist which can tend to be cheaper.

I've gone through them all, and I think we are 99% in the clear. The only one I'm questioning that I want to double check is White Line Warriors. I think the Prince song may be gone, which is probably right cause I know he can be quite difficult when it comes to licensing.

More as it develops. I'm off to bed for now. :)