Devin Miles in new KR movie

Archive for discussions from 2002. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Post by Rockatteer » Mon Nov 11, 2002 7:11 pm

OK, I just read an interview transcript with David Hasselhoff where he says they will have Edward Milhure as a holographic Devin Miles.

Has anyone else heard this?

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Mon Nov 11, 2002 7:20 pm

We've all heard about this but it's speculation at the moment...everything about the movie is. There is nothing confirmed, not even the title.

Personally, I would love to see this because I feel it'd be tribute while others think it's pretty sick to have a dead person in a upcoming movie.

Skav

March2875
FLAG Recruit

Post by March2875 » Tue Nov 12, 2002 8:48 am

As long as the Mulhare family grants them permission to use computers to regenerate Edward then nobody else should have any problems with it.

DJGM
FLAG Assistant

Post by DJGM » Tue Nov 12, 2002 4:36 pm

Well said.

IMO, any idea to try and resurrect Devon Miles as a hologram by using electronically
generated images of Edward Mulhare, would be wrong and highly disrespectful to his
memory. Let's hope any such idea, whether it's a rumour, speculation, or otherwise,
never comes to fruition, and doesn't get used in the forthcoming Knight Rider movie.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Nov 12, 2002 5:42 pm

I definitely don't think Hasselhoff would intentionally be disrespectful. He and Edware Mulhare were apparently very close (Mulhare's last TV appearance was on Baywatch Nights), so I think David's heart was in the right place when he was toying with the idea of a Devon hologram for the new TV series (at one point, knight Rider was going to come back to TV but that was before the movie was announced.)

Ignoring whether or not it's disrespectful, I just don't think it makes good sense to the story. It's nice to pay tribute to the deceased, but you can go overboard if you have to force the storyline around it. I think a good way to honor Edward Mulhare is to quietly have a large portrait of him hanging in the Foundation, and let that be in the background of the scenes.

Mike

Centaurus17
FLAG Recruit

Post by Centaurus17 » Tue Nov 12, 2002 5:48 pm

I agree. A plaque or a picture of Mr. Mulhare seen in the background would be much more classier then a hologram. Personally i think the rumor is false, i doubt they would go to the lengths of inserting the hologram anyway.

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Tue Nov 12, 2002 6:16 pm

I agree Centaurus, I don't think this idea is going to come to light anyway but I just have the opinion that it should be done if they are seriously considering the idea.

Also, KR is not an art.

Skav

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Tue Nov 12, 2002 6:38 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Skav:
<STRONG>
Also, KR is not an art.
</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gasp! Blasphemy! Begone, scandalous heathan!

OK, so maybe Knight Rider isn't exactly FINE art, but I'm not sure what you're saying here.

Mike

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Tue Nov 12, 2002 7:09 pm

I must say I like the idea of having the picture of Devin hanging in the background. I think that would work very well and be a great tribute to him.

has there been any discussion on if they will use the original sets for the foundation offices? or is Micheal Knight finnaly going to get his own way and "re-decorate" the office. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Tue Nov 12, 2002 7:29 pm

I didn't make myself clear and I don't want to lose respect from anyone but I realise that tv/film is an art in itself. That is true but the tv show, KR, it is not.

Skav

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Tue Nov 12, 2002 7:59 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Rockatteer:
<STRONG>I must say I like the idea of having the picture of Devin hanging in the background. I think that would work very well and be a great tribute to him.

has there been any discussion on if they will use the original sets for the foundation offices? or is Micheal Knight finnaly going to get his own way and "re-decorate" the office. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I could definitely deal with the picture in the background. I could even deal with Michael going over old security camera footage, or something along those lines. Hologram? No.

As for the details, we have none. The only solid information that we have is that they are going to try to put the movie together. Nothing more has really been released. What we do know can be found in the KR FAQ Forum.

knightimmortal

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Wed Nov 13, 2002 12:26 am

1) Not all of the Mulhare family would be so lenient in lapsing their judgment, only those select few who have a larger interest in money.

2) Yo, there are fans out there who think that bringing a man back from the dead in holographic form truly is an insult to the man and the art that he dedicated his life to so well. It was one thing to do it to the mother on the Sopranos to try to finish out the storyline, it is quite another to in effect re-create the man, and potentially abuse his image. From all that has been released about the man, he was a very private, very reserved man, who had reservations about certain things. Are we going to risk disgracing the man's ideals just for our entertainment?

knightimmortal

Garth Knight
Recruit

Post by Garth Knight » Wed Nov 13, 2002 11:40 pm

I also like the idea of old security camera footage (or even any previously shot footage would do). As long as it worked well with the storyline.
I am definitely against the hologram.
Also, I'm not too fond of the portrait. I don't remember seeing one of Wilton Knight.
Remember how Wilton was fondly remembered by The Foundation in words & actions?
This is how I'd like Devon Miles to remembered. [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Skav
FLAG Operative

Post by Skav » Thu Nov 14, 2002 2:15 am

Lol, ok, I am very sorry! Guess i am on my own.

Skav

Newcastle knight
Operative

Post by Newcastle knight » Thu Nov 14, 2002 10:16 am

At the end of the day, Ed Mulhare isnt with us anymore, so he cant properly be in the film can he ?

Devon remembers Wilton in Knight Rider 2000 from re-used footage, so i reckon Michael can go the same way, maybe look at pictures of him and stuff. Just some references to acknowledge him would be nice.

Scott

KIFT
Recruit

Post by KIFT » Thu Nov 14, 2002 10:27 am

Newcastle knight is right.
My idea for the movie is.
In the year 2004/5 (Not in a futuristic world) some hakers found karr plans and started to re-build KARR.
The only man who can stop this is michael (not 2 new kids) and he is called to flag to re-activat KITT.
this was invented in this moment i will think about that and tell you my opinnion [img]images/smiles/icon_smile.gif[/img]

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Nov 14, 2002 1:37 pm

Hackers find KARR's plans? Ok, why is it that people find great pleasure in making FLAG look like it was run by a group of morons with no security sense?

And you all had better get used to the fact that Hasselhoff may not be playing the center role anymore. From all that was seen in the press releases, we probably won't be getting that. BUT....you can take a positive spin on it from there:

If we have Michael as the older mentor figure (Devon's position) and we bring in new blood, we could be looking at a movie franchise if it does well. If not, well, we are potentially looking at Hasselhoff doing a one time deal thing. He's not getting any younger, and from his other interviews as he is releasing them, he is actually opening himself up for more time with his family. As much as we would love for him to be the centerpiece again, we do have to take into consideration his needs, wants and desires as a human being too.

Hope that makes some sense....

knightimmortal

KIFT
Recruit

Post by KIFT » Thu Nov 14, 2002 1:40 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by knightimmortal:
<STRONG>Hackers find KARR's plans? Ok, why is it that people find great pleasure in making FLAG look like it was run by a group of morons with no security sense?
knightimmortal</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What i had in minde is something like this:
In 1990 flag has been deactiveted so it had not been upraded till 2004 so it was easy to enter in FLAG central computer.

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Nov 14, 2002 1:46 pm

Once again, I repeat, these people sit on some of the top secrets in the world. And yet, they fold and still don't make sure their secrets are securely in Knight Industries hot little hands?

But of course, that is the same concept that created KITT being dismantled in Knight Rider 2000 too, so I guess it is possible. Just highly annoying.

knightimmortal

IceKnight
Rookie

Post by IceKnight » Thu Nov 14, 2002 4:27 pm

I doubt anyone could hack FLAG systems... however, it is not impossible.

It is far more likely that someone finds KARR's badly damaged CPU from the wreckage and extracts data from his hard drives and rebuild him from that rather than finding plans while hacking.

Newcastle knight
Operative

Post by Newcastle knight » Thu Nov 14, 2002 5:29 pm

quite a few instances where FLAG's security sucked in my view !

i mean, Wilton locked his 10 million quid prototype vehicle in a building behind a door with a padlock on it, nice one......

Then when he goes off the cliff they dont even bother to check it out.

and then their computers get hacked into by a little girl in 'Ten Wheel Trouble'

i guess this is turning into a nitpick sorta thing knightimmortal ? lol

Rockatteer
FLAG Assistant

Post by Rockatteer » Thu Nov 14, 2002 6:52 pm

Yes there where many inconsitacies in the Knight Rider story lines, most of whihc I have only noticed in my "older" years of re-watching it.

I guess we have to remember that the show is an 80's so written for the 10-12 age group.

I'm really hoping though that the new movie is a lot more consistant...otherwise its gonna be a flop.

Todays children and movie goers are much more aware and expect things to be a mirror image of true life....not like the good old 80's where TV was a fantasy world where cars talked and drove by them-selves :-)

knightimmortal
FLAG Special Ops

Post by knightimmortal » Thu Nov 14, 2002 8:07 pm

Uh, it wasn't written for the 10-12 age group, it was written for a bit of a higher demographic, otherwise, it wouldn't have been shown in American Prime time.

And well, we sort of have entire lists of nitpicks over at the The Knight Rider Collective

knightimmortal

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu Nov 14, 2002 8:45 pm

I wouldn't say Knight Rider was written "for" the 10-12 age group, but it was possibly written "at" that level.

Knight Rider was one of those shows that had appeal over a large span of ages, so in order not to alienate younger viewers it did need to have relatively simply plots and themes. It wasn't a kiddie show, but it was a show kids could enjoy.

Mike

[edit: i meant to say wouldN'T"]

[ November 14, 2002: Message edited by: Michael Pajaro ]

David Whiteheart
Operative

Post by David Whiteheart » Fri Nov 15, 2002 4:19 pm

I agree the holographic Devon would not be respectful to the family nor to him. I like the idea of the picture and maybe Michael having flashbacks of what Devon might say or do, during a time of crisis.

Dave