Knight Rider 2 Game report from E3

Archive for discussions from 2004. Please post new discussions in the appropriate forum.

Moderators: neps, Matthew, Michael Pajaro

Michael Pajaro
Advisor
What year did the original Knight Rider start: 0

Knight Rider 2 Game report from E3

Post by Michael Pajaro » Wed May 12, 2004 7:18 pm

I visited Davilex at the E3 gaming convention today. The new game definitely looks like a great improvement over the original. They told me several times how much they listened to comments (complaints) about the first game from fans.

The new game gets away from the kind of boring "search and exlpore" model of the original. Instead, it is much more combat-oriented. This is a bit of a deviation from the actual series, but it should help game-play a lot. The reflection mapping on KITT looks really good, and the world textures are much better.

I have more screen shots and a preview movie to post later, but for now here are the list of features taken from their marketting presentation:

New interactive fighting system
KITT has access to 3 different type of weapons
Laser
Plasma gun
Missiles

Fight spectacular battles against enemies
Garthe and Goliath
KARR
Different types of robots
Choppers
Turrets
Laser protecting system

KITT has an electric shield to protect himself from enemy attacks
Use KITT’s Micro Jam to open gates and control elevators and Laser protecting systems
Interact with the environment and solve puzzles
11 new story based missions
New in-game animation system
Improved visual effects
Improved controls
Energy recharge system

Last edited by Michael Pajaro on Wed May 12, 2004 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Join me at Las Vegas Car Stars!
May 14-16 • Las Vegas, NV
http://lasvegascarstars.com

knightrider2004
Operative

Post by knightrider2004 » Wed May 12, 2004 7:25 pm

sounds awesome post the trailer and pics as soon as you can.....PLEASE!
Michael wouldnt one woman be sufficient?

-K.I.T.T., Trust Doesent Rust

aussieknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by aussieknight » Wed May 12, 2004 8:12 pm

Hmmm...have they got the model of KITT right yet? ;-)
"What do you mean, 'get'? You ARE in big trouble." -KITT, Not a Drop to Drink.

beatle64
Recruit

Post by beatle64 » Wed May 12, 2004 9:50 pm

What about the Super Pursuit Mode?

86chvs10
FLAG Recruit

Post by 86chvs10 » Wed May 12, 2004 10:50 pm

I can't wait for more screenshots i want to see one just one so bad. :lol:

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu May 13, 2004 12:03 am

The promotional CD I have is very PC-friendly, which means it's very Mac UN-friendly. Having some codec issues with the trailer, but here are some screenshots. Small, I know, but I'll get larger images posted on my website soon.

Knight 'n' Day
Recruit

Post by Knight 'n' Day » Thu May 13, 2004 12:21 am

This looks AWESOME! Tell me though, were you able to see if they have plans to release an NTSC PS2 version or can we only expect a version for the PC here in the States?

imranbecks
FLAG Assistant

Post by imranbecks » Thu May 13, 2004 12:40 am

Ya...I hope it will be released for the PS2 games in the US too.... Will it be released for NTSC/UC?

LoneKnight
Rookie

Post by LoneKnight » Thu May 13, 2004 1:16 am

Darn it! Ya beat me to it....
Oh well, I'll be there tomorrow.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu May 13, 2004 1:40 am

I've posted some higher-quality versions of the screen shots on my website. You can view them here:

http://www.knightridermovie.com/game/

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu May 13, 2004 2:15 am

Since I'm delayed posting the trailer, here are some teaser shots showing some of the combat modes from the new game:

knightman
Operative

Post by knightman » Thu May 13, 2004 4:01 am

any screen shots of the dash, hope its better this time round ,that was my only complaint about the last one

aussieknight
FLAG Recruit

Post by aussieknight » Thu May 13, 2004 5:06 am

If the outside shots are any indication, then you can bet the dash will be very basic. I see the tail-lights are still visible. As is the front spoiler. The car seems a little more correct overall, but you can tell they've done minimal research.
:kittspin:
"What do you mean, 'get'? You ARE in big trouble." -KITT, Not a Drop to Drink.

KARR 2000
Rookie

Post by KARR 2000 » Thu May 13, 2004 6:01 am

When can we get the demo version?
So...... I have no idea what to write here.

KARR Engineer
FLAG Recruit

Post by KARR Engineer » Thu May 13, 2004 6:16 am

Wow! But: ROCKETS?!

whet
FLAG Assistant

Post by whet » Thu May 13, 2004 6:43 am

This look realy promising I can't wait to get my hands on the game, sadly there is still 5 months or so :( but by the look's of those screen shot's it will be worth the wait!

neps
Site Administrator

Post by neps » Thu May 13, 2004 8:15 am

The materials that Mike received state that the demo does not reflect the final quality of the game, which means to me that the model used has still not updated. some of the shots are the same that Sith posted the other day, so I would assume that this material was made at the same time.

KFCreator
FLAG Recruit

Post by KFCreator » Thu May 13, 2004 9:33 am

Mike, Neps, and any other Mac people here, this should please you all greatly! Got this info. from a macrumors.com link and, if true, means we can hopefully look forward to playing the original Knight Rider Davilex game and this new Knight Rider 2 PC game on our Macs by year's end:

- Demo of Virtual PC 7 - Lionel - 20:52:16
Yesterday in front of resellers and Apple and Microsoft representatives, took place in France the first demo and presentation of Office 2004 and Virtual PC 7.
We have collected info concerning Virtual PC 7.
It was not possible to use VP7, because it is still unstable, but hereafter are some details:
- VPC icon has been modified
- Better support and management of peripherals (especially for USB)
- It will be noticeably faster than the previous version
- It should support dual processor system as well as G5-based computers
And the best for the end...
VPC7 should manage and support natively graphic cards, and that's a huge improvement and particularly good news. In this way, we can expect to be able to play PC games on a Mac, it will probably require a quite fast processor and a good graphic card. For example, DirectX will not be emulated, but directly treated, as on a PC, by the graphic card!!!
Something that we were always missing, but expecting, in the previous VPC version...
"One man can make a difference. You can make a difference in someone else's life. You can make a difference in your own life." -- David Hasselhoff

dragonball1957
Operative

Post by dragonball1957 » Thu May 13, 2004 9:41 am

:shock: ..........
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

I just hope the Air Filter on the Front part of the Car is Wider . it was always kinda skinny .

lol , buts its kida funny that Kitt Has weapons now , (spyhunter) , looks weird but i think well get use to it .

But thats also a good thing , since kitt now has all these weapons , then im assuming that then his dash should be a little more complex now since he needs access to other intruments.

KARR Engineer
FLAG Recruit

Post by KARR Engineer » Thu May 13, 2004 9:51 am

Did Davilex actually watch the series? This reminds me of TKR a bit...

Knight Racer
FLAG Special Ops

Post by Knight Racer » Thu May 13, 2004 10:18 am

I was wondering what the system requirements for the new game will be.I bought a 64mb ddr ram geforce 2 card just to get kitts black to shine.It still is a bit slow because my system is a little over the hill.

AMD duron 1.3 Ghs processor
256mb ram
65mb ddr ram geforce 2 vid card

I hope I don't have to buy a new pc just for the new game.I wonder if they will have a low resolution setting to turn kitt shiney black or wierd blue like the last one.

CB2001
FLAG Assistant

Post by CB2001 » Thu May 13, 2004 10:44 am

What about missions outside of KITT, you know Michael doing a little leg work? So far, I haven't seen any information about that, even though I know a few people have suggested that.

Michael Pajaro
Advisor

Post by Michael Pajaro » Thu May 13, 2004 11:02 am

A lot of people seemed concerned about the weapons. Keep in mind that KITT DID have missiles in the show. He DID have a laser. Remember season 2, where just about every week April installed some new device to help KITT battle enemies? My feeling is that the weapons in the game are along those lines.

The Davilex representatives were very aware of all the feedback from the first game (and Sith's work specifically, thanks Sith!) One of the biggest complaints was that once you solved a level, there was little point in doing it over again. Adding the combat modes helps with replay-ability.

First and foremost, this is a videogame and it needs to compete with all the other blast-em games out there. Which would be more fun: micro-jamming a helicopter to force it to land, or blasting it out of the sky? I for one am looking forward to trying out my trigger finger.

Sith
FLAG Assistant

Post by Sith » Thu May 13, 2004 12:41 pm

Good work as ever Mike. 8) You are one lucky guy getting in there. hehe

I have to say from seeing the trailer, the graphics engine looks a whole lot smoother than the original. And we still have 6 months or so of development to go yet. At this stage on KR 1, KITT didn't even have windows...

You have to understand the reasoning behind Davilex's decision to introduce weaponry. In the list of suggestions we stated that we didn't want anymore 'platforming', and they decided to use some of KITT's functions to add a further dimension to the game. We did state we didn't want a rehash of the first game's bumping into things until they die. Driving and shooting weapons will certainly make the game harder I assume - also combating the criticism of the first game being too easy.

And for those of you that are questioning the missiles being in there, I'd remind you that KITT has the function 'Rocket Fire' in the two episodes Not A Drop To Drink and Merchants Of Death. ;) The laser of course featured many times. I can assume the new laser design is bigger purely as this one is far more powerful in the game.

(The Knight Rider games of the 80s also featured lasers and rockets, so this is nothing really new to us)

Those images are indeed of the same KR1 car that featured in the screenshots that were given to me at the end of April, so don't worry about the car dimensions just yet. I know this as I just saw a few of these images on a game site that was dated April 30th.

When you view the trailer you will also notice a few new welcome additions. For example, KITT now has a turbine sound of a much higher pitch.

There are also new environments, including a molten iron pit, and what looks like a snow/ice covered road. Night Vision is also now necessary for a few missions, as visibility will be near pitch black on certain stages.

At least Davilex are trying for a degree of originality with the sequel, especially with the proposed 2 player mode and mini-games. With several months of development still to go, things can only get better.

And lets face it, how many 20 year old TV series' get a video game nowadays, let alone a sequel? I for one am thankful for Davilex attempting a sequel, and taking our comments on board. Like I said before, bigger development houses would just throw ideas from fans in the bin. So kudos to the guys from Holland. ;)

On a final note, the last information I had was that Knight Rider 2 was indeed scheduled for release on PS2 in USA. But not by the same distributor of the first game, Tri Synergy.

Instead it will be handled by Universal Interactive, who are responsible for such games on PS2 as Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath Of Cortex and Mace Griffin: Bounty Hunter.

We will certainly get more details nearer to KR2's release date, and hopefully the game will be at ECTS here in the UK in September - an event I fortunately already have a ticket for. ;)

Remember to keep checking KRO, as all news will be posted here over the coming months. 8)

KARR Engineer
FLAG Recruit

Post by KARR Engineer » Thu May 13, 2004 2:39 pm

Yeah, I remember the rockets KITT had, but from the trunk? I suppose this game is S5 (Season 5)!